***2014 Football World Cup*** Discussion Thread

All 3 countries could easily host the event themselves. Joint bids only makes sense if you can't host it by yourself. Something like belguim and Netherlands makes sense

sarcasm gurv..

south korea did well in 02 ( ref aided)

france 98

it goes both ways obviously

That's not my example tho. Pressure is gonna be on any home country. What I'm talking about is the pressure to win the whole thing in your country and it actually being realistic. I expect brazil winning the World Cup is a forgone conclusion to some fans in Brazil

I'm saying that people in South Korea probably expected a result, but I find it hard to believe it was expected they'd win. That's a different type of pressure

ya the only times that has happened are

Germany 2006
France 1998
Italy 90
Spain 82
Argie 78
W.Germany 74
England 66

3 of 7 winners

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Brazil wins, all I'm saying is having the crowd behind them helps a good bit.

Did you see how electric that crowd was during the Spain/Brazil game last year? I think it had an impact

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Brazil wins, all I'm saying is having the crowd behind them helps a good bit.

Did you see how electric that crowd was during the Spain/Brazil game last year? I think it had an impact

Right. But I think most of the people in Brazil think it's a foregone conclusion. The crowd can have a positive or negative impact is essentially what I'm arguing in this scenario

I think this is something we will have to agree to disagree on, but I think the pressure hurts them in the end. A semi final loss would be a disaster for this team. Argentina or Germany for me.

I think this is something we will have to agree to disagree on, but I think the pressure hurts them in the end. A semi final loss would be a disaster for this team. Argentina or Germany for me.

I agree with you actually. It could hurt or help for sure. I think we see examples of both.

I guess I think it helps Brazil

People were saying in South Africa no European team has won outside of Europe either. I think brazil has let down written all over them. Russian hockey team this winter is an example. Brazilian soccer is much better then russian hockey, but when you have the entire weight of a nation basically saying it's win or bust in a world wide event, it's not easy

Which one of these guys will literally bite the bullet when they don't win it all? Maybe it's multiple guys? I'm being serious as y'all prolly wondering the same thing.

like 5 people playing in this tournament will have been born the last time a tournament was in south america

dont think it will really matter

Marco Reus isn't going to flub a shot wide because he's playing in South America where a German team 60 years ago couldnt win

Which one of these guys will literally bite the bullet when they don't win it all? Maybe it's multiple guys? I'm being serious as y'all prolly wondering the same thing.

Well I don't think that's gonna happen due to the simple fact that these guys are all world wide super stars and if someone goes missing people may start asking questions

I mean I could see how you can argue that the fans don't travel as well to South America as they would to a European country. Weather is different. Not as comfortable. Being in another part of the world can be uncomfortable. That's why I kind of think that USMNT training in Stanford is stupid. Talk about completely different places

like 5 people playing in this tournament will have been born the last time a tournament was in south america

dont think it will really matter

I actually agree with you. I'd been hearing this on 94 and other places as well. No one bothered mentioning there had only been two previous WC played in SA.

yeah, that is strange they are going to Stanford. I think they are playing some friendlies in MIami

It would be like the USA not winning gold in the Olympics and Lebron and Kobe never being heard from again

Well I don't think that's gonna happen due to the simple fact that these guys are all world wide super stars and if someone goes missing people may start asking questions

You think the criminal element over in Brazil give a damn about who they kill? As far as clubs going searching for missing player - that'll never come into play bc I'm sure they'll find out on the news long before they even dream of thinking the player is missing.

It would be like the USA not winning gold in the Olympics and Lebron and Kobe never being heard from again

Completely disagree. There is a vast difference in the people and governments from the US and those from Brazil. There is a difference in everything to put it bluntly.

Completely disagree. There is a vast difference in the people and governments from the US and those from Brazil. There is a difference in everything to put it bluntly.

Dunno man, I can only recall one incident where a soccer play was murdered (Escobar). I compare this to your alien theory as of now. You never know I suppose

I dont give a fuck about these overpaid cunts,BUT
England play their opening game in Manaus,then 5 days later play their 2nd game in Rio,its 1800 miles away,then they play their 3rd game in Belo Horizon or some fucking where,and thats a 220 miles from Rio... 1800 is a bit of trip

dont think thats an issue in the modern world. 1800 miles is what, a 4 hour luxury plane ride away?

they travel a bit different style tho mate

grant_g_ox_cr_576.jpg

grant_g_song1_cr_576.jpg

the flying isn't the problem, it's the delays. Teams like routines and once the routine is broken things get a little bit wayward.
End of the day these guys are "Professionals" as some have noted some countries will have more money and support while other countries may not have the luxuries.
Thus you will always see the big boys in the end, the dark horses and cinderella teams can only go so far before fatigue starts to settle in.

Dunno man, I can only recall one incident where a soccer play was murdered (Escobar). I compare this to your alien theory as of now. You never know I suppose

Yea, but Brazil is playing in Brazil. Remember that word "pressure" you kept using with Braves yesterday ....

Yea, but Brazil is playing in Brazil. Remember that word "pressure" you kept using with Braves yesterday ....

Pressure is big , real big, but I don't think it's win or die big. Murder is over drug disputes and corruption. You are being far too drastic. This just won't happen.

there will be a lot of money invested here, a lot of the Brasilian players are actually owned by investment groups. It's a pretty big deal in Brasil thus the push for these players to be sold for big money.
The value of players will either take a hit or become legendary after the WC.

Just my opinion, but hulks value will sky rocket this summer. He's already playing really well, especially since AVB took over. But people will say because he's in Russia and he's facing subpar competition most weeks. If he can score in the WC as he is now some big money will be thrown around for him. I dunno how the relationship with AVB will play into it though. His eog would clash with most managers too

could be Alex.
Lots of clubs now taking the approach of potentially selling after the WC.
Some players though already have reached quite a peak value, not too sure how a guy like Suarez gets his worth even higher.

Pressure is big , real big, but I don't think it's win or die big. Murder is over drug disputes and corruption. You are being far too drastic. This just won't happen.

If a Brazil player gives up an own goal (like Colombian did) during this WC in Brazil and they lose by this goal? Some dude misses a PK or gives up a PK and they lose bc of it? Good luck to this guy. Dunskie.

again

lol at someone like Neymar or Thiago Silva going missing if they 'screw up'

who said that? lol those two are like automatic ins, one is the captain the other is the poster child.
It's like saying "No Messi for Argies cause he's not going to win a trophy" ha

again

lol at someone like Neymar or Thiago Silva going missing if they 'screw up'

Lol. You went straight to the top didn't ya?! Those guys won't have any issues. Others on the team could and might screw up to the point their life is expendable.

Y'all need to understand this IS a possibility. I'm not saying it will happen, but to think this has a zero percent chance of happening to me is not looking at the bigger picture which is a country who has chalked up the WC months before it has even kicked off. Corruption at its finest down there. This can happen.

Lol. You went straight to the top didn't ya?! Those guys won't have any issues. Others on the team could and might screw up to the point their life is expendable.

Y'all need to understand this IS a possibility. I'm not saying it will happen, but to think this has a zero percent chance of happening to me is not looking at the bigger picture which is a country who has chalked up the WC months before it has even kicked off. Corruption at its finest down there. This can happen.

CG,
Corruption is one thing but as mentioned before there are players that are heavily invested on appearances, Thiago Silva and Neymar are definitely the key names in Brasilian football. People who want to make money with these players will want these two to be on the biggest stage. So there is 0 chance that a healthy Thiago Silva and Neymar would be omitted.
The only way corruption kicks in is if Scolari 'picks' a player from the local leagues and is 16.

Back