2013 Nba offseason news and notes

I'm calling it now, MWP will smack JR Smith or get into it with him during the season. He won't tolerate JR Smith's immaturity and shot selection and will punk him.

The Celtics and undrafted free agent guard Phil Pressey, who impressed while playing with the C's Summer League team in Orlando, have agreed to a multi-year contract, an NBA source told the Boston Globe.

The Celtics and undrafted free agent guard Phil Pressey, who impressed while playing with the C's Summer League team in Orlando, have agreed to a multi-year contract, an NBA source told the Boston Globe.

Watched a few of his Summer League games, really gets after it defensively.

Bobby Brown who just had a great season with Montepaschi Siena in Euroleague seems to be close to be signed by the Knicks at minimum salary

great deal imho, would be a nice spark off the bench, the guy can score a lot and his passing ability has grown a lot

It's very frustrating and sad being a Bucks fan these days. Just stuck on the 7-10 seed treadmill.

man Detroit is looking pretty damn good!
holy shit Dumars nice work man. That's 2 big men in Monroe/Drummond, scoring threats in Jennings and JR, leadership in Billups and Maggette, and a sleeper rookie off the bench in Pope.
Liking what I see

not a huge fan of Jennings but I think it's quite a bit more than a slight upgrade

better distributor
better scorer
less turnovers in more mpg
he was decent from 3 last year too

being 1 of 3 good options on O will help his usage and efficiency as well, won't need to iso as much as he did with the Bucks

if Drummond makes the jump anytime in the next 2 years I think they could cause some upsets

man Detroit is looking pretty damn good!
holy shit Dumars nice work man. That's 2 big men in Monroe/Drummond, scoring threats in Jennings and JR, leadership in Billups and Maggette, and a sleeper rookie off the bench in Pope.
Liking what I see

Is that what you call washed up veterans who cant play any more, leaders?

though this piston team is looking like the anti teams that went to about 4 straight conference finals and won a ring, this is refreshing.

for too long, this piston roster has been filled with mediocre, mid level talent like ben gordon, villanueva, prince, stuckey, knight, bynum, daye and the list goes on. their sg/sf list was a never ending pile of shit and lacked any excitement.

over the last two to three years you literally had to be paid to see this team play. they had to do something and with the new owner being a drunk party animal, he could not handle it anymore. sponsors were dropping off and the stadium was busier for ncaa tourney practices than piston games.

now they certainly may not have the greatest team, but they can sell something to fans. between jennings, smoove, drummond, a guy like me who has refused to attend games with their piss poor product would actually pay a few $$ to see some talent, some blocks, dunks, and a chance for a memorable night.

brandon knight to me was a horrible pick when they took him for this team, he's not a true 1 which they needed (like bynum, stuckey etc) thought they should've taken trey b, but this makes me happy.

i am far from a nba fan and this teams character and discipline will cost them quite a few games (not to mention fg and ft %s) but in a league where if you dont have a durant kobe or bron, this is about as good as it will get....unless drummond turns into a dwight howard type.

I really don't like Jennings. I think he shouldn't be even on any team's roster as a bench warmer.

I saw him in Rome, saw him in Milwaukee and I don't see what people see in him.

Can't say that Knight is better, but he isn't worst in my opinion...

Jennings has more talent if not a better player and he needs to learn how to harness it and get properly coached up.

The key point is, he brings excitement to the Palace at the least, where Knight is very vanilla and not flashy and doesnt know which position he should be playing. Seems like a good kid though.

If you cant get one of the mega stars, then you mine as well try to sell some flash and excitement. At least they are doing that, though I think Trey Burke would have made that arena jump if he turns out to be pretty damn good.

Jennings has more talent if not a better player and he needs to learn how to harness it and get properly coached up.

The key point is, he brings excitement to the Palace at the least, where Knight is very vanilla and not flashy and doesnt know which position he should be playing. Seems like a good kid though.

If you cant get one of the mega stars, then you mine as well try to sell some flash and excitement. At least they are doing that, though I think Trey Burke would have made that arena jump if he turns out to be pretty damn good.

after what the city has gone through they need something fun. Milwaukee was a bad fit for him though so a fresh change could be what he needs. He is a headcase at times and so are a lot of other skilled/talented players. But give them a change in scenery and see how they react.

End of the day I just like how the Pistons are now becoming aggressive and within an instant they have become a playoff team....unlike my Raptors...

Mike, the city of Auburn Hills is just fine, they play 25 miles north of the dirty D, the Stones are a burbs team and corporate clientele that they cant attract.

I think Butt Cheeks may be able to direct BJ a little better, time will tell.

Intriguing at least.

ah sorry for my ignorance there wasn't so certain about exact location!
I do hope Cheeks does a better job around here than the shit show in Philly

lol, but they should play in the D, its stupid even though its down the street from me.

It is funny.

Also pretty much 'right down the street' just 5 miles north or so and I haven't been to a game since 2008. That is easily my longest streak since that place opened. Ez enough to get solid seats but have not wanted to. I plan on it this year though.

Have more thoughts on the trade/team itself in coming days...

R they planning on running smoov at the 3 along with Monroe and Drummond. Not sure if that could work but i do know it would be fucking awesome

Marc Stein@ESPNSteinLine<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">1m</small>
Sources close to process tell ESPN that Greg Oden has agreed to two-year minimum deal with Miami Heat with player option in Year 2

Smoove to the 3 to start. I personally think the Pistons will be overrated as hell.

10 things that have happened since Greg Oden last played in the NBA
A lot has changed since 2009.

By NICK SCHWARTZ – August 3, 2013 at 10:31am EDT

Craig Mitchelldyer/USA TODAY Sports
Greg Oden will return to the NBA with the Miami Heat on a veteran’s minimum contract, and attempt to resuscitate a career derailed by knee injuries. Oden last played in the NBA on December 5th, 2009, logging four minutes before fracturing his left kneecap. 2009 may not seem that long ago, but look at all the things that have happened in the NBA since that day:

1. LeBron James made “The Decision,” advanced to the NBA Finals three times won two titles.

2. Kevin Durant (2nd overall pick in 2007, behind Oden) won three scoring titles and was named to the All-NBA first team four times.

3. Ohio State teammate Mike Conley helped lead a team to the playoffs.

4. David Stern announced his impending retirement.

5. Kyrie Irving graduated from high school, completed his entire college career, was drafted No.1, and made an NBA All-Star team.

6. Shaquille O’Neal went from the Cavaliers’ bench to the Celtics’ bench to TNT’s bench.

7. Jermaine O’Neal was overtaken as the Miami Heat’s highest paid player.

8. Only six centers have been taken in the top 5 of every NBA draft after 2007, none of whom have made an All-Star team or won the Rookie of the Year award.

9. Chris Andersen covered his entire body with tattoos.

10. Dwight Howard has alienated (at least) two separate fanbases.

further on jump's post...
is it me or does this malcontent not get it?!?!?

Timberwolves rookie Shabazz Muhammad was sent home Wednesday from the NBA’s rookie transition program after he brought a female visitor to his hotel room the previous night. Muhammad will be fined and have to repeat the program next summer.

“We have been made aware of the circumstances surrounding Shabazz Muhammad’s dismissal from the NBA’s rookie transition program in New Jersey,” Wolves president of basketball operations Flip Saunders said in a team news release. “The team fully supports the NBA’s rules and policies in all matters pertaining to this situation and we will abide by the league’s action.”
Muhammad, chosen 14th in June’s draft after one season at UCLA, is no stranger to controversy. Issues with the NCAA led to his college career being delayed, and there have been questions about his maturity, work ethic and willingness to be a team player that contributed to his slide on draft day.
The rookie transition program is a four-day seminar that is designed to educate and advise young players about making the transition to the NBA.

Smoove to the 3 to start. I personally think the Pistons will be overrated as hell.

Does anyone have them as anything more than a 7th/8th seed?

Bulls, Heat, Pacers, Nets, Knicks solid top 5. I'd put Atlanta over them w/ additions and probably TOR too.

The top 5 in the east ( Miami, NY, Indiana, Brooklyn, Chicago) are in their own tier that I don't think anyone can catch but why can't (shouldn't?) the pistons get the 6 seed over Atlanta/Boston/Milwaukee, who finished 6-8 last year and all got worse with the pistons taking two key players. Philly and Toronto, the other two teams that finished above Detroit, are both in tank mode.

Back