2013 Nba offseason news and notes

You forgot Wizards and Cleveland - both teams should be in playoff battles as well...

Just saw Scottie pippen and Dennis roman having dinner/drinks at the end of my street while walking home. Two of the most recognizable people you can see. Scottie's face plus Romans piercings. Surprised those two still sit outside in Chicago

hearing Ryan Andersons GF, girl was on The Bachelor, committed suicide.

yesterday night she was in hospital, critical condition. taken off life support.

So sad :(

Gia Allemand has passed away. Following news she was hospitalized in critical condition for a "serious emergency medical event" on Monday, Aug. 12, a source confirms to Us Weekly that the 29-year-old Bachelor contestant died on Wednesday, Aug. 14. No further information on the cause of her death has been released.
UPDATE: An official statement was released Wednesday on behalf of Allemand's family regarding her death. "Television personality and Model/Actress Gia Marie Allemand (29) passed away today at University Hospital, New Orleans. While in her residency in New Orleans on Monday night, Ms. Allemand was found by her boyfriend, NBA Basketball Player Ryan Anderson, following an apparent suicide attempt. Mr. Anderson contacted 911 and emergency medical crews were immediately dispatched to the scene," the statement reads. "Tuesday, Ms. Allemand remained in the hospital unconscious in critical condition and on life support. Due to a critical loss of brain and organ function, life support was withdrawn today. Ms. Allemand passed away peacefully with her mother, boyfriend, and other life-long friends by her side. As a practicing Christian, Gia did receive the sacrament of last rites."
"Loved ones and fans will remember Gia Allemand as a caring woman who loved her family and was well-known for her compassion towards animals and mission to rescue homeless pets," the statement continues. "Funeral arrangements will be forthcoming in another official statement once available. On behalf of the family, we sincerely ask for privacy at this time."
Some Bachelor alum are sharing their condolences.
"Gia was such a joyous person to be around," Melissa Rycroft** said in a statement to Us Weekly on Wednesday. "She was the person that in any room drew a crowd because she exuded positive energy and friendliness. This is beyond tragic and my thoughts and prayers go out to her loved ones."
Jake Pavelka**, who Allemand competed for his love on 2010's season 14 of The Bachelor, also tweeted, "I had to pull over, I can't stop crying. We have lost an angel." Earlier in the day he wrote, "Please pray for @GiaAllemand. A dear friend and one of the sweetest women I know . . . #powerofprayer."
On Tuesday, Aug. 13, the model's publicist announced that she had been hospitalized at University Hospital, New Orleans on Monday "following a serious emergency medical event." The statement continued, "Ms. Allemand's mother is with her, along with her long-term boyfriend, NBA basketball player Ryan Anderson of the New Orleans Pelicans. On behalf of the family, we kindly ask for privacy at this time."
Allemand's last tweet before her hospitalization was on Aug. 11 and read, "Proverbs 21:3 'Doing what is right and fair pleases The Lord more than an offering.'"

WEEI@WEEI<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">1m</small>
Celtics announce they've acquired F Donte Green from Memphis in exchange for Fab Melo and cash considerations.

hearing Ryan Andersons GF, girl was on The Bachelor, committed suicide.

yesterday night she was in hospital, critical condition. taken off life support.

word is she hung herself at her home and Ryan was the one who found her ...damn thats rough

RIP

On Wednesday the 29-year-old model was removed from a life-support machine in a New Orleans hospital, two days after her boyfriend Ryan Anderson found her hanging in her home.

The 29-year-old dance instructor, who gained fame on The Bachelor and Bachelor Pad, had been fighting with her boyfriend hours before using a vacuum cleaner cord to hang herself from the stairwell of her home, according to an incident report obtained by E! News from the New Orleans Police Department.
Per the report, boyfriend Ryan Anderson told investigators that he and Allemand had argued through lunch on the afternoon of Aug. 12 "over her suspicions that he had been unfaithful to her."
Anderson, who plays for the NBA's newly renamed New Orleans Pelicans, said that he took her to a Walgreens to buy several items, including Nyquil cough syrup, before dropping her off at her apartment at around 6 p.m. Before she got out of the car, the report continues, Allemand told him that she still loved him, to which he said he replied, "I don't love you anymore."

Anderson went home, he said, and at 7:28 p.m. he got a text from Allemand's mother saying he needed to go check on Gia, that they had been on phone and then the line just went silent for 10 minutes.
The athlete told police that he arrived at Allemand's house 20 minutes later, opened the door with his key and found her unconscious but in a sitting position on the second step of a spiral staircase near her front door, a vacuum cleaner cord "wrapped around her neck many times," the report states.
The report continued: "Anderson stated that he frantically unwrapped the cord" from around her neck, she was "not responsive" and he stated that he "began yelling for help." A neighbor, Julieann Snow, later told police that she heard a male voice "frantically calling for help" at about 7:50 p.m. and, when she went next door, she saw Anderson "holding Ms. Allemand on the floor near the door."

Per the report, Oquendo then called for a crime lab and a homicide detective, the latter of whom surveyed the scene and advised that he saw no signs of foul play in the apartment.
The officers stated that they found a handwritten note lying on the dining room table that read, "Mom gets everything."
At University Hospital, where Allemand was taken by ambulance, a Dr. E. Jones told Oquendo and Fuller that she was "technically still alive," but on life support and being given drugs to keep her blood pressure at a life-sustaining level. Her prognosis was "grim," the doctor reportedly said, and it was estimated that she had been deprived of oxygen for approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
Allemand died after being taken off of life support on Aug. 13.
Anderson later said in a statement that she "was the most beautiful person" he knew.
"She had such an amazing impact on my life and anyone that knew her was blessed," he said. "All I have left is to cherish those memories we made together and help perpetuate the many values, faith and love that we shared."
Her colleagues at Pure Barre gym, where she taught classes, organized a memorial for the late star in New Orleans on Saturday. At least 50 people gathered along the banks of the Mississippi River to share memories and prayers and toss white flowers in the water.

The 29-year-old dance instructor, who gained fame on The Bachelor and Bachelor Pad, had been fighting with her boyfriend hours before using a vacuum cleaner cord to hang herself from the stairwell of her home, according to an incident report obtained by E! News from the New Orleans Police Department.
Per the report, boyfriend Ryan Anderson told investigators that he and Allemand had argued through lunch on the afternoon of Aug. 12 "over her suspicions that he had been unfaithful to her."
Anderson, who plays for the NBA's newly renamed New Orleans Pelicans, said that he took her to a Walgreens to buy several items, including Nyquil cough syrup, before dropping her off at her apartment at around 6 p.m. Before she got out of the car, the report continues, Allemand told him that she still loved him, to which he said he replied, "I don't love you anymore."

That is probably going to haunt him for the rest of his life. His last words to her were "I don't love you anymore," and then she committed suicide. Such an awful story, you have to feel for her family as well as Anderson.

Well I guess it doesn't matter...

NBA
NBA Finals likely to go back to old format

Steve Mitchell, USA TODAY Sports
The MVP trophy and the Larry O'Brien Championship trophy on display for the media prior more
The NBA competition committee has voted to return the Finals to the 2-2-1-1-1 format that existed until 1984, a person familiar with the situation confirmed to USA TODAY Sports' Sam Amick.

The move still requires owners' approval, but is likely to pass and bring an end to the 2-3-2 format that is currently in place. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the league hasn't announced the vote.

The league has used the 2-3-2 format since 1985, when it was decided that the travel from the east to west coasts were too long for one game, then a day off in between. One argument for going back is that the lower seed has a disadvantage, but that hasn't seemed to play out in reality. The Heat were the higher seed this year, but Oklahoma City was the higher seed last year when the Heat won and Miami was the year before when Dallas won. The percentage of time the home team has won the finals is pretty much around 70 percent either way.

The owners will vote on the proposal at the October meetings and it is expected to pass.

Boston Herald reporter Steve Bulpett first reported the story on Twitter early Sunday.

i haven't been keeping up in the offseason.

i just took a look at the o/u season win totals. lakers is set at only 33.5?!? isn't kobe going to play most of the season? they still have kobe, gasol and nash. that should be good enough for 35 wins right? wtf am i missing here, i know these guys are old but come on...33.5 is pathetic. i don't think they will be that bad.

I wouldnt play that, my guess is kobe is gone at least the first month, prolly longer.. Awful defensively.

I agree it looks a little low, but i think you would need some pretty concrete info on kobe before playing that

i haven't been keeping up in the offseason.

i just took a look at the o/u season win totals. lakers is set at only 33.5?!?isn't kobe going to play most of the season? they still have kobe, gasol and nash. that should be good enough for 35 wins right? wtf am i missing here, i know these guys are old but come on...33.5 is pathetic. i don't think they will be that bad.
Dan Gadzuric, Wesley Johnson, Chris Kaman, Nick Young < Dwight Howard, Ron Artest, Antawn Jamison, Earl Clark. Between Howard and Artest alone, you're probably seeing a swing of 5-10 points a game minimum. Mind you, Gasol's numbers should go up on offense without Howard there, but 45 was hard fought with the team they had last season - without them, the dip in talent level this season (Nick Young's useless), and d'Antoni's no defense system, it's going to be a long, long season at Staples...

Just an FYI for those thinking of betting the Lakers tonight: 1) no Gasol or Nash from the looks of it, 2) Nick Young starts at SG but has issues with an ankle, so not likely to play in 2H (I wouldn't think anyways), 3) game is at Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, CA, not at Staples and 4) Lakers have Nuggets on deck at Staples tomorrow night (which is why both Gasol and Nash are (likely) being given the night off tonight). Do with that information what you will...

Back