2008 cfb -- time to post my week 14 card so far

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
updated through week 13
overall 76-64-2 54.3%
Sides 52-43-2 54.7%
moneyline dogs 1-1
totals 23-20 53.5 % <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Had a rough week last week , where i capped several games TERRIBLY. One of my worst weeks from a capping standpoint but almost made it out 4-4 but wake forest was capped so poorly that i couldn't even get lucky there. 3-5 last week. of course both strong leans that i did not play ( ole miss and iowa ) both cash easily.

locked in

Nevada -3

strong leans

navy +3 eliminated 11-25
s carolina +1 eliminated friday
pittsburgh +3 eliminated thanksgiving
missouri -13 eliminated thanksgiving
georgia tech +9 eliminated friday
nc state +1 eliminated thanksgiving

talk me off leans

auburn +14.5 eliminated thanksgiving

Recaps from worst capped to best capped

wake forest -1 loser -- I just ahve to consider this the worst capped game of the week for me. I benefitted from everything imaginable in a football game. two defensive td , and a blocked punt to the opponent 2 yardline for another td. The opposing qb got hurt early in the game for me and the replacement looked pathetic to me from a mastery of the offense standpoint , happy feet standpoint , quality of decision making standpoint and ability to throw standpoint. He still led his team down the field at the end of the game for a winning score. I thought riley skinner was an unlikely candidate for interceptions and he threw a couple key ones including one with under a minute left in the first half that led to a fg and one early in the first half that was taken back for a td. so i was wrong about him. one area that i thought wake had an advantage was fg kicking but i was wrong there too apparently. what makes it worse is i had an alltime great college kicker in swank who i hoped would play but capped as if he would not vs a bc team that has struggled all year with fg kicking. The result was Boston college going 3-3 on fg and wake foret going 0-1. Take away the scores that were created by special teams and defense , wake forest had ZERO scoring drives. boston college had a 14-9 first down edge , and a 234 to 191 yardage edge. To my credit , i did say that wake matched up well defensively but boston college actually moved the ball half decently prior to Crane getting injured. Horrifically capped game. When you lose a bet when the other team loses their starting qb and he is replaced by a guy who looks lost , you get two defensive td and a blocked punt to the opponent 2 yardline and you are laying 1 point .. that is one bad bet folks. Funny thing was that i was a favorite to win the bet with just a few minutes remaining.

Michigan State + 15 loser -- Total domination by penn state. penn state had a 557 - 322 yardage edge in this game and a majority of michigan state offensive production came late when the game was already decided. The key to this game all along was michigan state style mimicking that of iowa and ohio state who gave penn state fits. My error was that the michigan state defense is not only lesser than the two previous mentioned teams but not even in the same class. Game was a lost cause late second quarter when penn state scored two td in a minute and five second span. Have tow onder if ohio state winning earlier in the day cut into the michigan state motivation to start the game as the rose bowl was no longer possible. On paper , the line for this game was simply ridiculous in my opinion but the linesmakers had a better feel for this game than i did and while as the week progressed i wondered if the books were inviting mich st money , i still had to play it. Probably one of my favorite plays when i made the bet but it was poorly capped.

illinois -2 loser -- I don't really have a problem with this bet. On paper illinois was clearly the play. Unfortunately , illinois came out flat for this game and northwestern was far more emotional. It's the hardest part about capping the college game. Sometimes the kids just don't show up. Even so , the illini had equal first downs and just 4 yards less of total yardage than northwestern did. The issue was pass protection as sacks of juice williams led to several punts. Can't ahve the negative plays. I think a normal effort from illinois gets the money. 21-21 first downs. Fitzgerald ( who i am not a huge fan of ) should be given credit for getting the most out of this team and specific to this game for having his kids motivated for a relatively meaningless game for his kids , while zook failed to have his guys motivated for a game they needed for bowl eligibility. Should have been a motivational edge to illini .... but as i said , that is the hardest part of cfb to cap.

Arizona -3 loser -- Another poorly capped game ... i told you i had a bad week. Basically the game was a coinflip as it played out and i was the guy laying the points instead of getting them. I really felt going into the game that arizona would be able to move the ball on the oregon state defense and i was wrong for the most part. Was the victim of curious playcalling by stoops near the goalline and some blown coverages late. But again i benefitted from moveao not playing and an early injury to the pac10 leading rusher rodgers getting a slight separated shoulder early in the game. McCants , who came in for rodgers , is going to be a great back for these guys but had rodgers played i think oregon state wins by even more. I was hurt by a missed extra point which kept arizona ahead by one point and put them in run the clock out mode instead of trying to score mode. That didnt work out for them either as canfield had maybe his best game as a collegiate athlete. oregon state as it was outgained arizona 390-297 while zona out first downed the beavs 19-17. Again , i expected a high scoring game here and it was low scoring so i dont feel like i had a good read on thsi one. My only real regret here is that i was basically asking stoops to not get outcoached by mike riley.....

Louisville + 7 loser -- Hehe these guys killed me again. I really wanted to stay away from them the rest of the year but the matchup and situation seemed perfect with wvu having a huge lookahead to backyard brawl with pittsburgh , a good matchup with ville rush defense , a good matchup with power running game vs wvu rushing defense. Unfortunately , the coaching was so poor in this game that the players could not overcome it. WVU made the big plays and louisville bogged down or turned it over or made coaching errors to destroy themselves. The stats show a cover was in order and a possible push materialized late but fell short. louisville had a 26-16 first down edge. but were outgained 498 - 434 ( again some big plays by pat white ). Not a bad bet.

Georgia tech -2 -120 winner --Georgia tech option attack basically gave the miami florida undisciplined defense fits in this one and that was the basis of the bet , along with GT defensive line advantage. Georgia tech had a 518-388 yardage edge and miami actually had a 20-18 first down edge. But it was more dominant than those stats show. Miami went on a 98 yard drive in the last few minutes of the game when down 41-16. Well capped.

NCST +12 Winner --ncst won 41-10 getting 12 points and while the score is deceiving somewhat the basis of the bet was unc inability to move the ball and score and that did play out as expected. The score is lopsided because unc turned the ball over 6 times. But even without that the heels had just 13 first downs and 203 yards of offense. ncst had 18 FD and 466 yards of offense

Clemson -2.5 winner -- Sometimes i am just very happy when a game goes exactly as i expect it to. The reasoning behind this bet was clemson being able to shut down cedric peerman and try and make verica beat them. peerman had 19 carries for 49 yards at 2.4 a carry. With the lead clemson went ultra-conservative knowing virginia could not move the ball which made the game closer than it should have been but of all of the games this week , this one most appeared what i thought in my brain.

Last edited:
Losing weeks for you and I but you had NC State capped right.

This week after the OU game and after 2 years of inexplicable losses to Little Brother, I like Texas BIG. They have to run it up--despite Mack's instincts--and hope for the best with the BCS.

Only thing I am concerned about is the weather that has a 30% chance of rain. Have to keep an eye on that.

Losing weeks for you and I but you had NC State capped right.

This week after the OU game and after 2 years of inexplicable losses to Little Brother, I like Texas BIG. They have to run it up--despite Mack's instincts--and hope for the best with the BCS.

Only thing I am concerned about is the weather that has a 30% chance of rain. Have to keep an eye on that.

Yeah , i agree. Just not a fan of laying over three td and this thing might be in the 28.5 -34 range depending which side the linesmakers want the money on.

I hate laying that many.

Texas is going to have to destroy them though for any chance at bcs title shot.

Plenty of threads on the bcs system already and what a joke it is. Feel bad for texas and utah off the top of my head and i am sure there are others. Of course USC , who has accomplished little outside of a home win vs ohio state with no pryor and no Beanie will get lots of love. Sick system.

Kyle, as far as the Michigan State.

The linesmakers made me play that game and got into my head.

I was ready to jump all over Penn State thinking -10 or less for sure, likely -7 or less.

And then the 16 mark I was saying wow that is so off I HAVE TO play Michigan State I mean look at that value.

This is what I knew. PSU would control the game pretty easily. So would I have been surprised if they covered that? No. But then I looked at that value and I talked myself into it. I will say though I did think Michigan State could stay within 2 scores, I did think that. But I wouldn't of been suprrised if PSU dominated and therefore I shouldn't of played it.

I still think the line was too high. Lesson is not to let linesmakers get into your head.

---The public wasn't all oer Michigan State so weird scneario where results did not dicate line and exaggerated line didn't get alot of MSU money.

Linesmakers must of had some inside info on this one.

Kyle, as far as the Michigan State.

The linesmakers made me play that game and got into my head.

I was ready to jump all over Penn State thinking -10 or less for sure, likely -7 or less.

And then the 16 mark I was saying wow that is so off I HAVE TO play Michigan State I mean look at that value.

This is what I knew. PSU would control the game pretty easily. So would I have been surprised if they covered that? No. But then I looked at that value and I talked myself into it. I will say though I did think Michigan State could stay within 2 scores, I did think that. But I wouldn't of been suprrised if PSU dominated and therefore I shouldn't of played it.

I still think the line was too high. Lesson is not to let linesmakers get into your head.

---The public wasn't all oer Michigan State so weird scneario where results did not dicate line and exaggerated line didn't get alot of MSU money.

Linesmakers must of had some inside info on this one.

in the long run , as long as your methodoogy is correct , if you bet into bad lines you win money. That was a bad line in my opinion and most of the sharp bettors i talk to agree with your assessment and the one that i made prior to the game. It didn't work out but i have no problem with the bet. When a line is off , it is my job to bet it. That will not always equate to a winning bet , and sometimes is is MY line that is off and not the books. But as a general rule , bets like that are how i succeed.

miserably capped game as far as how it played out though.

Don't beat yourself up , dude. You did what most smart bettors do because you are a smart bettor.

OK, why? Why after blowing a great opportunity at home last week and now having to travel across the country for this game?

It's a matchup play , not a motivational play. Ruston is a tough spot and the travel is a pain no doubt ... it's why latech has had success there but they match up great. All latech can do is run the ball and Nevada simply stuffs that. Granted latech rush defense has been good but they have faced some atrocious rush offenses.

The combined record of teams that latech has beaten is 24-44 and only fresno st has a winning record. Meanwhile nevada has been playing well on the road recently. crushed unlv and idaho ( ho hum ) , played a decent game at hawaii in defeat in a tough travel spot and beat up on fresno st. They have scored 30 or more in every game that was not against a big 12 opponent ( tech and mizz ) and had 640+ yards of offense vs latech last year.

Sure they could be flat .. but i have been so bad at determining motivation that i am sticking with matchups and letting the motivation play itself out. How illinois is flat for that game saturday is beyond me , for instance. Even some of Texas recent performances vs kstate and tamu the last few years has had me shaking my head. Just not a strength of my capping despite looking at sandwiches , rivalries , lame duck coaches , qb controversies , bowl implications , lookaheads, recruiting angles , travel , off of overtimes , off of tough losses , off emotional wins/losses , passed up players etc etc etc Believe me , i look at it ... and maybe i only notice when i am way off ( illini ) but i think my strength is matchup analysis and that makes me like nevada here.

Hey, I'm just asking. Haven't looked at the matchup but value-wise I think the line is right on. Yet it's also nice to see a number of key cappers on this game.

Would have to lay the -120 now to get 3.

i would play to -4 rj , for whatever that is worth.

There is a small chance this is my only play this week ....

a couple of things really surprise me on your leans kyle...south carolina? i don't get this play and i'm heavily leaning on clemson and the under here. another thing is that western michigan is not even a play you're considering...bol kyle...anxious to see your thoughts on those games, or at least sc

a couple of things really surprise me on your leans kyle...south carolina? i don't get this play and i'm heavily leaning on clemson and the under here. another thing is that western michigan is not even a play you're considering...bol kyle...anxious to see your thoughts on those games, or at least sc

i have sort of bailed on the mac for some reason .. i will visit it and look but after the bullcrap overtime total loss ( which seems to happen to me in mac games ) , i have sort of steered away .. even though i think i am even worse in the big east. Those are my two worst conferences and coincidentally rumored to be the most shady.

i have a great feel for clemson right now i think , joe.

I played the bolded team in the last bunch of clemson games ....

10-18 Georgia Tech at Clemson ....winner
10-25 bye week
nov 1 Clemson at Boston College ...winner
nov 8 clemson at florida state ........ Winner
nov duke at clemson ....................did not play this game but leaned clemson just didn't want to lay the points.
nov 22 clemson at virginia .............. winner

So i feel confident about my read on this team. I think both teams struggle to run the ball on the other and that leaves me with smelley vs harper and spurrier vs swinney. I think south carolina has more weapons on the outside to utilize with the tight ends and McKinley. I love the spot with spurrier coming off of a bye week and a destruction at the hands of florida here. I also think that if for some reason the game comes down to fg kicking that succop has a bigger leg than buccholz. Buccholz doesn't have a made fg of over 50 yards and in fact his long is 43. Succop has a big leg and has made atleast one kick of 41+ yards in seven games this year. Big advantage i think.

Turnovers by south carolina are obviously a worry but Harper looked like a deer in headlights against Virginia and the coach stopped calling plays for him because of it and because they had a lead and he knew virginia couldn't string together first downs. My point is that i think spurrier with an extra week to prepare will find a way to attack that clemson defense with better skill guys than what clemson will have prepared with swinney.

I realize this is a bowl eligibility game for clemson but this team has never responded with a big game when they need it anyway. Whether its a season opener against bama or a game they need to save the coach his job .. whatever .... notoriously bad big game team in my opinion. Class relief for south carolina and clemson is moving up in class.

I won't be the one to talk you off of Auburn catching more than 2 TD's

i have struggled mightily when getting in the way of good teams this year though. I really don't see auburn winning straight up and it seems whenever that happens and i make the value play on the losing team that they dont lose within the number. i am trying to find more dogs that i think can actually win the game.

looking back over the season , trying to beat florida with hawaii , miami or tennessee didn't work out for me ( though hawaii and miami should have.. urban myer loves his boosters ). When i beat penn state it was with a team that i thought would beat them in iowa but when i tried betting a team that was a great value at over two td ( mich st ) , i got destroyed. Just tired of being involved in games where i am asking a team to lose pretty because i know they aren't getting a straight up win.

It is a lesson i will carry over to next year. I am staying out of the way of the premier teams. I still won't be betting them because the lines are inflated usually ,,,,,, but i am done trying.

With all that said , i am still considering auburn here........

Good Luck this week . Good call on NCST . I was completely wrong on that one but its almost enjoyable to get beat that bad . You never have to look at the score .

I know you hate big chalk and I am very cautious when I lay it . Hard to not like Hawaii though IMO. Wash State is off a HUGE win I guess we can call it . They have covere 3 straight ATS which IMO makes them cheap here . They were nearly 6 TD Dogs at Home vs Zona when the streak started. In the past 4 away games they have scored 3 ,13 ,0, 0....

Washington State quarterback Kevin Lopina, playing just a week after getting knocked out with a concussion, was erratic all day. He missed easy throws and open receivers. He ran when he shouldn't and often threw to the wrong receiver.
But he was nearly perfect in the final minute as the Cougars drove 69 yards to force overtime. After hitting Brandon Gibson to convert a third-and-1 at his own 34, Lopina found freshman Jared Karstetter right in stride sprinting behind a beaten Washington secondary. Karstetter, with only three catches all season, raced for 48 yards to the Washington 18 with 24 seconds left and suddenly overtime was a possibility.

In the locker room, the Cougars' jubilant seniors posed for pictures with the Apple Cup trophy after it was presented by Gov. Chris Gregoire.
"I don't think I'm going to sleep. I'm so excited," Grasu said.

Cant imagine they do any better on the road and in the worst place possible.

Hawaii already at -29.5 IMO is cheap under -35 ....

Some others that are interesting IMO :

Notre Dame +29
Boise State -19
Cincy -22 ( only because its a huge letdown spot would like -21)
Wake Forest -3.5
Over 120 Houston @ Rice ??
UAB +9
FAU -5
Clemson -1

GL:cheers:

I think that will be the best number available on Nevada. Line ought to go up. I was just mentioning this in CBs thread a little while go. Looks like a good play. GL

Stay away from Auburn..It's Alabama's redemption tour and they have 6 years of pent up frustration that will be let out against a down Auburn squad, plus they are off a bye.

Nevada does look real cheap . Would have expected at least -6 but I guess the fact that LaTech is 5-0 at home plays into it . If Nevada can bounce back after the tough loss then looks to be a tremendous amount value in the line. Curious to see how this game gets bet and moves throughout the week....

LaTech really cant pass the ball eevn with Jenkins at QB . So Nevada's highly rated run defense should be able to slow Porter who has been the offense for the past month . Would like to see a total here and lean UNDER .

Good Luck this week . Good call on NCST . I was completely wrong on that one but its almost enjoyable to get beat that bad . You never have to look at the score .

I know you hate big chalk and I am very cautious when I lay it . Hard to not like Hawaii though IMO. Wash State is off a HUGE win I guess we can call it . They have covere 3 straight ATS which IMO makes them cheap here . They were nearly 6 TD Dogs at Home vs Zona when the streak started. In the past 4 away games they have scored 3 ,13 ,0, 0....

Washington State quarterback Kevin Lopina, playing just a week after getting knocked out with a concussion, was erratic all day. He missed easy throws and open receivers. He ran when he shouldn't and often threw to the wrong receiver.
But he was nearly perfect in the final minute as the Cougars drove 69 yards to force overtime. After hitting Brandon Gibson to convert a third-and-1 at his own 34, Lopina found freshman Jared Karstetter right in stride sprinting behind a beaten Washington secondary. Karstetter, with only three catches all season, raced for 48 yards to the Washington 18 with 24 seconds left and suddenly overtime was a possibility.

In the locker room, the Cougars' jubilant seniors posed for pictures with the Apple Cup trophy after it was presented by Gov. Chris Gregoire.
"I don't think I'm going to sleep. I'm so excited," Grasu said.

Cant imagine they do any better on the road and in the worst place possible.

Hawaii already at -29.5 IMO is cheap under -35 ....

Some others that are interesting IMO :

Notre Dame +29
Boise State -19
Cincy -22 ( only because its a huge letdown spot would like -21)
Wake Forest -3.5
Over 120 Houston @ Rice ??
UAB +9
FAU -5
Clemson -1

GL:cheers:

As far as hawaii , i think you might be on to something but as you mention , i just don't lay those kinds of numbers. I suppose there is a chance that i sometimes leave money off of the table because of that rule but the rules have kept me a disciplined winner over the years and i don't want to get into what perceive are bad habits. Agree with your take though and think hawaii should roll there .

boise i find more interesting as i think they match up so well with fresno st but then again these are the types of games that pat hill always seems to get his kids to overachieve. Seems like they always play to competition level whether the opponent is good or bad. Still like the matchup advantages for boise in the game. Again , the number is out of my comfort zone but atleast a play on them is allowed.

clemson -1 -- quite a few seem to be against my s carolina lean this week and i know you can give me some good reasons on why clemson is the play. hoping broadwayjoe can share with me as well. why does harper have more success throwing than smelley ?? confident neither team runs with any success .....

wake forest -- as i was telling someone earlier , i think you have value with wake forest at that number but i just cant support that team this week. understand completely why you like them.

uab -- no opinion

gl this week , nut.

I think that will be the best number available on Nevada. Line ought to go up. I was just mentioning this in CBs thread a little while go. Looks like a good play. GL

yeah ...... as stated earlier , it is not without some concerns but have to like the matchup and the value.

Interested in WMichigan possibly . They had a couple extra days off more then Ball State . WMU is off basically 3 home games as they played the Illini @ Ford Field and Ball State traveled past 2 weeks . Real tough win @ CMU for Ball State as well. The fact they are undefeated and ESPN put them on TV is that a bad thing ? Does it put more pressure on them now ??

Scary part is WMU vs the pass . Line seems about right but just looks like a good spot for a competitive team like WMU to hang around . Maybe 1st Half play ???

Ball State beat them last year @ WMU in the last minute on a go ahead TD. Alot of the same players return as well here .......:cheers:

Stay away from Auburn..It's Alabama's redemption tour and they have 6 years of pent up frustration that will be let out against a down Auburn squad, plus they are off a bye.

thanks ... i dont know why i left this on my list .. i know i wont be playing it but a couple more things i want to look at first. i dont want to get in Bamas way though .....

still ... over two td ? rivalry .. against a good defense ??

hehe

Interested in WMichigan possibly . They had a couple extra days off more then Ball State . WMU is off basically 3 home games as they played the Illini @ Ford Field and Ball State traveled past 2 weeks . Real tough win @ CMU for Ball State as well. The fact they are undefeated and ESPN put them on TV is that a bad thing ? Does it put more pressure on them now ??

Scary part is WMU vs the pass . Line seems about right but just looks like a good spot for a competitive team like WMU to hang around . Maybe 1st Half play ???

Ball State beat them last year @ WMU in the last minute on a go ahead TD. Alot of the same players return as well here .......:cheers:

Behind in my mac work as i sort of wanted to avoid them .. will get back to you with my thoughts on this one ....

trying to beat the conference money this week meant a loss for most early nevada bettors and a push for most late bettors , a loss for all byu bettors , and a loss for most cmichigan bettors. MAC needs a bowl advertisement .... just saying .....

Nevada does look real cheap . Would have expected at least -6 but I guess the fact that LaTech is 5-0 at home plays into it . If Nevada can bounce back after the tough loss then looks to be a tremendous amount value in the line. Curious to see how this game gets bet and moves throughout the week....

latech line moves are notoriously good as well ... so if this line starts moving down , it is a warning sign.

agree that the line looks short and that the reason may be latech HF record.

still , miss st , se louisiana , idaho , fresno st , utah st as a home slate is not very challenging. And while i think they impressed me a little vs miss st , they were outplayed that game ( latech was an easy cover from a bettors perspective given the line , just saying miss st should ahve won ).

Also they have struggled more defensively vs spread type looks kansas , boise , hawaii , and even utah state ... so i think that nevada has a good chance in that respect as well ..... ltech has been much tougher vs power set running teams.

LaTech really cant pass the ball eevn with Jenkins at QB . So Nevada's highly rated run defense should be able to slow Porter who has been the offense for the past month . Would like to see a total here and lean UNDER .

total will be interesting ........ agree on your assessment concerning jenkins/bennett ( both cant complete passes ) and porter vs the nevada rush defense.

Auburn 1st Half is interesting . Especially with there success at half . Teams like Auburn cant comeback from defecits and few can vs Bama anyway. So would thin getting +7.5 has alot value . Bama offense still unimpressive to me .

Bama in 5 of 7 conference games has lost at least 1st H ATS . Which tells me they raarely dominant for 4 quarters.....Aunurn has always led or been within a FG at halftime if I recall correctly...

latech line moves are notoriously good as well ... so if this line starts moving down , it is a warning sign.

agree that the line looks short and that the reason may be latech HF record.

still , miss st , se louisiana , idaho , fresno st , utah st as a home slate is not very challenging. And while i think they impressed me a little vs miss st , they were outplayed that game ( latech was an easy cover from a bettors perspective given the line , just saying miss st should ahve won ).

Also they have struggled more defensively vs spread type looks kansas , boise , hawaii , and even utah state ... so i think that nevada has a good chance in that respect as well ..... ltech has been much tougher vs power set running teams.

latech definetely weak in terms of strength of opponent at home . Was only trying to guess why they may have opened the line short . Think the total has to be at least 58 but just guessing and 61 wouldnt suprise me ...

Talk about tipping your hand @ SJST ! Sometimes its that easy ...

Probably interested in VaTech , UNC , and maybe A&M expected closer to 31 here at 35 would have to play the pup. Do like Texas 1st Q or H though ....Curious to see where it ends up wirh A&M pulling upsets past 2 years and covering past 3 ...

Dr. Bob was on CMU soley because Ball State rates low in his letdown situation numbers.

....Don't think this qualifies as a letdown because it's at home and if they win they win the conference. I think Miami Oh was a letdown sandwich road game, but Ball State at home at night has been Gold Money. They really rise. Would not bet against them, from looking over the numbers Ball State should dominate the run numbers handily, both great pass offenses and then Ball State has the better pass defense. Another showcase situation for the Cardinal. top 4 WMU wide receivers were injured second half vs. Illinois don't know their situation but they only had like 3 points that half and Illinois win, IMO Ball State is better than Illinois.

See a lot of ppl on Navy. Don't know how carried away I'd get with that considering Temple was up by 17 in the 4th on Navy, a fellow mac member and top 2 defense along with Northern Illinois. The ND loss for Navy might as well go into the book of deceiving games because they were +5 TO's to get back in it. NIU played a Kent option last week if that gives them any familiarity I don't know. NIU run defense held Kent to 127, 44th nationally is NIU run defense, Ball State Western Michigan and Central Michigan all put around 200 on NIU. So a defense that really struggles with balance, but solid against more one dimensional foes. NIU might have some good run blitz extra men in the box schemes, because they are 19th pass defense and 60th pass effeciency defense, meaning play action can get to them and probably why the 3 balanced teams in the MAC got to them. Navy is 118th pass offense and 25th effeciency, so two opposite teams on pass effeciency majority of time Navy drops back they could get some big plays possibily.

Interestingly, when you think about teams rated lowly in pass offense but high in effeciency, Air Force, Navy always at the top. Well Ohio State is nearly, nearly in that category. 106 pass offense, 27th pass effeciency for the Buckeyes, very rare for non option team I haven't seen anybody else even close.

This is a tough card. Still deciding on that GT game I mean Georgia couldn't beat Kentucky or Auburn by this margin and GT is better than those two. But, Richt with this bye very important in defending the option, very good in this rivalry why Johnson was hired and certainly Johnson is placing upmost importance on it. The ankle of Nesbitt you could tell he was limping a bit. That and the BC qb injury is important this week. Maryland is not going to run a dime ala @ VT where they were solidily beaten. BC kind of like VT here. Without the run Maryland struggles mightily. VT didn't need a qb they ran all day on Mryld can BC do the same.

...The Vandy DLine matched up poorly with Tennesse's Oline which is power run, although I still expected Vandy to shut it down because Tenny hasn't moved it on anybody. But match up very very well with Wake Forest. Wake already has trouble running but will especially have trouble Vandy is quickest back 7 in country. I think Vandy option could have a little more success but who knows. Skinner better passer but Vandy so good back ther. Wake Forest senior day VAndy already got a bowl. Looks like a Tenny-Vandy LW with the Under, maybe a rare one I think is worth it.

The Auburn - Alabama game. Would not be surprised in a close game or a Bama win. But Bama will control this game throughout. Very possible, and actually likely Bama wins this by 21 IMO. Auburn maybe a better version of Miss State or Tennessee. Yeah this game is in Bama. Last week's game for Aub says more about Georgia IMO unable to blow anybody out and look at AUB schedule not a lot of teams that can beat you good. WVU only blowout, Bama offense underrated they will get 150+ on the ground. Someone please go look at point totals for Alabama this season, only held under 20 points once, one time and are 30th in scoring offense nationally. Auburn will be lucky to get 3 points and Bama with 1000 opportunities and being opportunistic, very effecient pass offense, 40 lower than pass yards.

Not sure what Oregon State has going for itself matchup wise this week besides home field. Oregon pass defense effeciency isn't bad.

Might have to jump on LSU that one is sticking out a bit for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyle NC State is playing very good now, healthy, home field and need 1 win for a bowl game.

At the same time matchup wise I see this one pretty evenly, alot like the South Carolina-Clemson game. And the UF beatdown for Carolina I think will have the same effect here for Miami. The GT option was a bad matchup for the Miami over aggressive pursuit. Shannon will have them at top form here.

If you look at the UNC - NCSTU game, it was a 6-0 turnover differential, looking at the drive chart UNC never had a chance they would go a bit then fumble, and 3rd quarter NCSTU put it away. O'brien listening to comments man I know he put more emphasis on that game than Davis did.

Stat wise Miami controlled UNC as well, and despite NCSTU playing a lot better lately since the Maryland game wins over Duke, and Wake maybe don't mean much.

last year NCSTU started off 1-4, then won 4 games in a row, 3 of them as dogs. The last two, vs. Wake Forest and Maryland, games to achieve bowl eligibility they lost 18-38 and 0-37.

But they didn't have Russel Wilson.

Actually scratch Clemson as I was just looking at games that sort of stuck last night when I posted . They dont interest me at the moment .

Also I agree with Fresno State commentary . The offense is just so bad and they cant stop the run although SJ didnt run the ball . From memory I dont recall them every playing well @ Boise or vs Boise State.

:cheers:

As for LSU with Arkansas going to the younger Dick seems like they are playing for next year so would think LSU is a solid play after the string of losses.

strong leans

navy +3
s carolina +1
pittsburgh +3
missouri -13
georgia tech +9
nc state +1

talk me off leans

auburn +14.5

Lean Navy. no opinion on either pitt or mizz, on gt, like ncst. With Auburn, I don't know, Bama really owes these guys an ass whooping and I think I would need 18.5 to play this game so that I'm over 27-10 or something because if Bama has the chance to hammer them in the first half like they've done so often, I don't think they will lose focus in the 2nd half in this game. I'm not even sure I would get involved at that number either.

o-state,

your last quote rings loud and clear..."but they didn't have Russell Wilson"...

anyone that hasn't had the pleasure of watching this kid play I highly encourage to watch him play on Saturday...he is a tremendous young QB...

the biggest difference between last year's midseason improvement was that NCSU was strictly overachieving, where as this year they are a much more talented team who was decimated by injuries the first half of the season...when I watched this team line up with the other teams in the conference (Maryland and UNC) they have just as good of athletes...are their athletes as good as Miami's?...maybe not, but they do have more discipline and are coached better...throw in the home field and that they believe and I think they are worthy of consideration this week...

Will be looking @ Navy tmrw as a possible strong play. The more I look at this game I become firmer in beliebing in should be a PKem. Scheduling could play a role IMO . This will be the 4 th game for NIU since 11/5 and only the 3rd for Navy since 11 /1 and about 10 days rest . Lookahead to Army ? DOnt think so because Navy is the superior team anyway . You dont look ahead to INFERIOR opponents IMO . Also that game is 12/6 so a long layoff. NIU hung around with Navy last year as well so dont think they take them lightily. We can go on about the Temple game and they did play poorly but they found a way to win. Rallying vs ND I thought showed heart. Navy is 6-4 with losses to Pitt , ND , @ Ball State and @ Duke by 10 which was a lot closer game then that . :cheers:

Too tired to give reasoned opinions on anything.

But i won't be playing navy tuesday night. Hope they win and cover but i won't have a stake in it.

going to bed. long night of poker but atleast it was worth it.

I basically eliminated navy for a lot of the reasons i played against them against notre dame. They are not as good on the field as their results would indicate .. even the notre dame final now looks like they were more competitive than they actually were.

I also think it is fair to give niu some motivational edges though as a general rule , navy shows up every week .... the kids at the academies are great that way. Another factor is that niu is now very used to the midweek thing and it is something new to the routine for the navy kids and a travel spot.

Just not confident enough to bet it and lost some line value from open. i still think navy probably wins this game.

if you want my reasoning on navy being sneaky bad , it's mostly in my week 12 thread.

Well, we have the same card this week.

LOL

May be my only play as well. Some leans, but there seems to be a sticking point in each one.

Back