2008 cfb - Time to post my week 1 card so far

Coach Patterson in a Question and answer ....

How do you plan on managing the running backs?
"Ryan Christian will start the game Saturday. Joseph Turner isn't exactly where we want him to be, but he will play. It's one of those work-in-progress situations. Aaron (Brown) always plays a part in things. It will be an interesting deal to see who gets off to a good start and who will step up. It all depends on what we can do upfront. New Mexico is a lot like us in that they are very good at stopping the run. They are bigger upfront than they have been in the last couple of years, so we have to be ready to go at them."

looks like running back by committee which may mean that aaron brown suspension rumors might mean a quarter or a half ???? no idea but this atleast sheds some light on who will be carrying the rock. The truth is this is a hindrance to the TCU side of the bet. Brown and Turner greater than Christian in my estimation. Christian was a guy that has gone back forth between rb and wr. He had some carries with them last year at rb but was not nearly as productive as the other two with his opportunities. Will be interesting to see how much action each guy gets. My guess is that Christian starts , Turner plays in spots ( short yardage ) and Brown comes in after a designated time and takes a good portion of the carries , but it is just that .. a guess.

Not the news i was looking for on this front but it is what it is.

Last edited:
thanks for the TCU info. kyle...fortunately Idaho won't have to worry about the TE, now we have to figure out a way to contain Mike Thomas...

Akron is absolutely kindergarten in experience and Dlineman have been banged up like no other in camp. My problem is Wisky big hogmaulies operating against that 3-3-5 defense.

---This 3-3-5 is why New Mexico beatdown Nevada when stats say it shouldn't have happened. I see UTEP has gone to that and they are loving their downhill aggressive run D. Only concern is pass D they were horrid there and Gill loving qb play in camp. Makes me feel good for UTEP angle.

Still trying to deposit before gametime Thursday, (stupid). Just put into expresswallet hoping its 3 business days not 5, as Western Union got blocked by Wachovia.

My strongest leans are

--Tennecheat
N-western
UTEP
Wyoming
Boston College
Southern Cal
Colorado
Temple

---And then slight leans possible plays
Oregon State
Wisconsin
Kansas State
Texas
Michigan
Troy

---Looking to put a large sum on Tennessee + maybe 1 or 2 teams teasers.

Then a small percentage of my betting wallet on some parlay action.

When the totals came out, I think I remember you saying that you were hoping that the UTEP/Buff total would be lower. Is that bakc on your radar now that it has plunged from 63 to 58.5?

ADDED --- Hawaii +35.5 at CRIS today. With DRbob releasing today i did not want to risk losing the 6th score. Admittedly this thing could easily be headed way up from here and this is a risk to lock it in. Have quite a few thoughts regarding this game a lot of which revolve around florida injuries and motivation. Also have a slight chance at some weather which would hinder both offenses but make a huge number all the harder to cover. Don't really foresee that happening but here is current outlook from weather.com on this game. It can only help the cause.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=233 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=CCTextsm vAlign=top align=left colSpan=3>
Updated Aug 26 12:25 p.m. ET
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
28.gif
</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsTempText vAlign=center align=middle>89°F</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Mostly Cloudy</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=middle>Feels Like: 97°F</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>UV Index:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>6 High</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Wind:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>From the South Southwest at 10 mph</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Dew Point:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>74°F</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Humidity:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>61%</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Visibility:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>10.0 miles</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Pressure:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>29.92 inches and steady</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><!--inserst CMS module here--><TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #863637 1px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=blkVerdanaText12 align=middle bgColor=#fffae2>
blank.gif

Hawaii
@ Florida (Schedule)
blank.gif

Saturday, August 30, 2008

blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><COLGROUP><COL><COL></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inDentA style="COLOR: #ffffff" align=left bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif

Event Day Forecast for Aug. 30
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inDentA align=middle bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif

Scattered T-Storms
Daytime High:89°F
Overnight Low:73°F
Probability of Precipitation: 40%
Wind: From the Northeast at 7 mph
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="60%" bgColor=#fffae2>Spectator Index</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="40%" bgColor=#fffae2>UV Index</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="60%" bgColor=#ffffff>5</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="40%" bgColor=#ffffff>Very High</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#fffae2>Sunrise</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#fffae2>Sunset</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#ffffff>7:06 AM</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#ffffff>7:54 PM</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=inDentA align=left bgColor=#fffae2>
blank.gif
Event Details
Other Local Sporting Events

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The spread in this game got completely out of control in my opinion.

When the totals came out, I think I remember you saying that you were hoping that the UTEP/Buff total would be lower. Is that bakc on your radar now that it has plunged from 63 to 58.5?

yes. At 59 they think utep gets to just 28. that seems unlikely to me. it is on the radar but with a full unit already on utep i doubt that i play it unless it keeps dropping. Not a fan of having the total and side in same game as a general rule.

Akron is absolutely kindergarten in experience and Dlineman have been banged up like no other in camp. My problem is Wisky big hogmaulies operating against that 3-3-5 defense.

---This 3-3-5 is why New Mexico beatdown Nevada when stats say it shouldn't have happened. I see UTEP has gone to that and they are loving their downhill aggressive run D. Only concern is pass D they were horrid there and Gill loving qb play in camp. Makes me feel good for UTEP angle.

Still trying to deposit before gametime Thursday, (stupid). Just put into expresswallet hoping its 3 business days not 5, as Western Union got blocked by Wachovia.

My strongest leans are

--Tennecheat
N-western
UTEP
Wyoming
Boston College
Southern Cal
Colorado
Temple

---And then slight leans possible plays
Oregon State
Wisconsin
Kansas State
Texas
Michigan
Troy

---Looking to put a large sum on Tennessee + maybe 1 or 2 teams teasers.

Then a small percentage of my betting wallet on some parlay action.

I like quite a few of your leans. The tennessee game was poorly judged by me .. i didnt think that it would get pounded upward for the road favorite here. 7.5 most spots now. ugh.

the socal game i am just shocked that the line has not moved up. Not that i think the line is off , just that i expected espn darling to get a lot of love from average joe college bettor.

I like temple. a full td now though.

wyoming. same thing ... i like but now line is a lot higher.

utep is my favorite play. not sure where the buffalo love is coming from.

dont like northwestern. terrible home fav , terrible dd fav. syracuse improved and especially so in running game and that might shorten this one.

colorado -- on paper they cover. past history points to a close game though.

boston college -- hehe. staying away.

You need to get your money in ..... your thoughts are ahead of a lot of the line moves but without your money in there you lost a ton of value. gl this year o-state.

What's driving the line like this on the UTEP game? Consensus overall? Sharp money? I don't get it either. I like UTEP by 7-10 and now they are getting 3.5 and maybe 4... too much to pass up. Thoughts on why the line is like this?

What's driving the line like this on the UTEP game? Consensus overall? Sharp money? I don't get it either. I like UTEP by 7-10 and now they are getting 3.5 and maybe 4... too much to pass up. Thoughts on why the line is like this?

I see a sea of -3 with one -3.5. Where are you seeing a big move on buffalo ?

I see it move to 3.5 on my I-Phone @ Greek. Didn't it open at -1 though? Just seems like it's moved the opposite way from where I felt it should have been. I don't have access to many sites here @ work. Is the majority of pub on Buffalo here?

When I say I have access to zero sites I mean it... and I should have known that from memory... ah well... thought it was similar to the MIA OH line but I guess not.

If I had my notes/Phil Steele out I would have known the opening line...but they frown on it when your a paid government worker to be capping games on the clock.

I doubt it is "public" money on either side of that utep/buffalo game. public is focusing on ncstate at south carolina. Good luck finding the miners/bulls game on tv. I have seen several people make decent cases for the buffalo side of the bet. I have clearly stated why I like the miners here. Laying points with Buffalo against a team that has overachieved on the road under their current coach is not something i would recommend but there is a case to be made for buffalo. I also ended up making the miners the favorite after capping the whole thing out, though nowhere near the 7-10 you made it. this line has hardly moved at all.... i have seen a 3.5 and i have seen the -3 -120 pop up , so there seems to be a slight lean to buffalo with the money. Again , i think that is differing smart money as compared to the way i use the words "public money".

i recommend utep. inspekdah. Right or wrong on thursday , it is where my money is. Again , I am wrong 42-44% most years. I don't do the lock thing , or the "this game cannot lose" thing,..... I just say this is my favorite game of week 1.

One thing about the game that I don't think has been mentioned enough on most of the discussions about this game that i have seen is the huge advantage the miners have int he special teams. I know fondy brought it up his thread where he makes a decent case for buffalo, but most seem to be ignoring it. Martinez has to be considered one of the top 5 kickers in the country and Price is one of those coaches that has always put an emphasis on the return game. hidden value can often be found in the special teams area of games where people don't focus enough attention.

my two cents i guess.

i just looked again and its a sea of -3 everywehre pretty much.

Bluechip -- i understand wanting to stay away from hawaii but i can make a pretty good case for them. florida loses tons of players in their secondary , lose their stud lb for this game , lose stud wr for this game or at a minimum he will be limited in plays , tebow coming off heisman year and injury riddled end of season last year that ended up costing them in key games vs georgia and michigan , losing their stud TE , coaches motivation to get out healthy , possible weather angles , a line move of over a full td from lvsc openers, an underrated opponent , an exaggeration by most about what happened in the sugar bowl , a new coach that should play his number 1's for the whole game no matter the score , a style of offense that lends itself to an open backdoor , a style of offense that tests secondary depth , a instate quality opponent and rival on deck and new clock rules to hurt huge favorites to boot.

Last edited:
I never made it 7-10... but I leaned on them when I first saw the line and am looking at adding another play or two to finalize my card for now. I will wait out ORE and pass now on FLA most likely... for the reasons you mentioned, even 1H.

If I had my notes/Phil Steele out I would have known the opening line...but they frown on it when your a paid government worker to be capping games on the clock.

Good thing I work in the private sector... I still don't think my boss would like it though.

kyle- Your first post indicates that most of your action is with CHRIS.
None of my business, really, but didn't CRIS 'convert' Americans to Bookmaker last year , or is my assumption that you are american an incorrect one?
I'm changing my mind on Idaho now that I see both you AND pags like them. Looks like a play for me too.
GL:smiley_abcs:

kyle- Your first post indicates that most of your action is with CHRIS.
None of my business, really, but didn't CRIS 'convert' Americans to Bookmaker last year , or is my assumption that you are american an incorrect one?
I'm changing my mind on Idaho now that I see both you AND pags like them. Looks like a play for me too.
GL:smiley_abcs:

We have a credit account there through an agent. Semantics that i call it cris i guess. same line as bookmaker.

pags might be the best capper on the internet. so whenever he is on a side it should be noted. he is against me on the tcu game. probably the thng i like least about the entire bet.... but the fact that he also likes idaho is a nice plus to the confidence. Also not sure what number he would play the unm game down to so maybe at my number ( 5.5 and he has +7 ) i am not actually against him per se.

VK...great job locking your plays in, as you got the best of the number in every play..Very well done.

likely playing fresno state and that will be the one game where i misjudged how the line would move. Also the hawaii game is probably going up from here as the public will likely continue to bet florida along with a lot of smart money that likes florida as well. i got scared of the drbob factor and that will likely cost me a little bit in regards to that particular game. Feel good about the number though , went from a talk me off lean to a strong lean to a play ... mostly based on line move and injuries. Team loses 5 or 6 probable starters from spring to kickoff and the line moves over a td the other way ???

As long as i was talking about public money ... i want to say something about my terminology. When i say public money or square money it doesnt mean that i think anyone who bet the other side constitutes that demographic at all , i am merely pointing out which side the squares will be on. Doesn't mean the squares aren't on the right side sometimes. I think sometimes when i say "the squares should be betting team-A" that people who are betting that team take it to mean i am saying that people betting team-A are squares ... and that isn't what i mean at all. Smart money and Square money are often on the same side. Think i offend some people from misinterprteting what i am saying. hope i have cleared that up for anyone who was not understanding my true meaning throughout this thread and others in regards to "joe college bettor" etc etc.

Hey Kyle-I know you really like the Wyoming play and I have capped it a little bit myself and believe I know all the reasons why. I must say i am a little worried because it seems like everyone on every board I look it loves it too and it is PS's only 4 star play. On top of everything it has risen to 11.

Let me ask you for advice. I have a pretty full slate of games (about 8) Do you think it is a pass at this number? Also I considered teasing it along with one or both of my other top plays (UK +3.5 and Tenn -7.5) that way I could move all three of the games pass the two biggest key numbers (UK to +10.5 and Tenn down to a pick basically) and have Wyoming down from 11 to 4. I hate teasers and maybe I just need someone to talk me out of this. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hey Kyle-I know you really like the Wyoming play and I have capped it a little bit myself and believe I know all the reasons why. I must say i am a little worried because it seems like everyone on every board I look it loves it too and it is PS's only 4 star play. On top of everything it has risen to 11.

Let me ask you for advice. I have a pretty full slate of games (about 8) Do you think it is a pass at this number? Also I considered teasing it along with one or both of my other top plays (UK +3.5 and Tenn -7.5) that way I could move all three of the games pass the two biggest key numbers (UK to +10.5 and Tenn down to a pick basically) and have Wyoming down from 11 to 4. I hate teasers and maybe I just need someone to talk me out of this. Your thoughts are appreciated.

I am a fan of 6 point teasers that take numbers from the 7.5 - 8.5 range down to 1.5 - 2.5 range ... bypassing the 3, 4, 6, and 7. And the oppsoite the other way 1.5 - 2.5 teased up to the 7.5 - 8.5 area. Even at these levels you need the best possible odds on the teaser to make it profitable. i have a list around here from last year of the spots in vegas that had the best teaser odds last year but have not shopped them at all this year to date and have not discussed it yet with others. i can PM that list to you later if you are a local. Not sure i fi still have th eonline list or not and again it is from last year so they may have changed odds.

I think wyoming covers the 11. But I cannot say that i would lay it either. it is often easy to say that it is still a good bet since i bet it at 9.5 but not sure that i would bet it at the 11 and in fact i think i told my friends not to lay over 10. So while i think they cover that number the value might not be there to qualify for my tastes at -11.

Tennessee i choked on. i kind of like them but i would absolutely not lay 7.5 and i wouldn't even lay 7. ..... would be a play for me now at 5.5 but that will never happen. ucla has a major coaching improvement and never seem to get smashed at home. Vols better on paper but long road trip .... when tennessee is ahead 28-14 at ucla in the 4th quarter you still have to sweat that game out. Definite pass for me at 7.5 despite liking the vols to win.

kentucky lost a lot of its value too. louisville may be the only team that had a worse spring to kick off than florida this year. kentucky has the better defense. I hate getting that much the worst of it though and won't be playing. Lets put it into perspective ,.... most books charge a half point at 10 cents ( sometimes more at the -/+ 3 ) so when you lose 3 points in a line it is the equivalent of 60 cents of juice. Or to give examples in regards to moneylines ...... utep at +3 is +135 , utah at +3.5 is +145 ... Fresno state at +5.5 is +190 , alabama at +4.5 is at +170 and new mexico at +6.5 is at +220. .. kentucky at +3.5 is at +145. I saw 6 on this game late july. Now some of that value is in the cardinal injuries no doubt but as value bettors and handicappers we won't make money long term if we get that much the worst of the number. Sometimes this is going to cost us a winning bet ... i remember laying off of georgia tech last year against notre dame because i lost just an incredible amount of value in that line ... georgia tech crushed the irish as expected and maybe i missed a bet i should have made but i think long term discipline is more important .... and in the long term , value betting is going to win out.

The short answer is that i love your teaser menu and would expect it to win.

VK, Amazing thread and its been an awesome summer going through and breaking down games with you. Wish you the best of luck in WK1 and look forward to everyone having a great year around here. Can't wait to get started on WK2

I am a fan of 6 point teasers that take numbers from the 7.5 - 8.5 range down to 1.5 - 2.5 range ... bypassing the 3, 4, 6, and 7. And the oppsoite the other way 1.5 - 2.5 teased up to the 7.5 - 8.5 area. Even at these levels you need the best possible odds on the teaser to make it profitable. i have a list around here from last year of the spots in vegas that had the best teaser odds last year but have not shopped them at all this year to date and have not discussed it yet with others. i can PM that list to you later if you are a local. Not sure i fi still have th eonline list or not and again it is from last year so they may have changed odds.

I think wyoming covers the 11. But I cannot say that i would lay it either. it is often easy to say that it is still a good bet since i bet it at 9.5 but not sure that i would bet it at the 11 and in fact i think i told my friends not to lay over 10. So while i think they cover that number the value might not be there to qualify for my tastes at -11.

Tennessee i choked on. i kind of like them but i would absolutely not lay 7.5 and i wouldn't even lay 7. ..... would be a play for me now at 5.5 but that will never happen. ucla has a major coaching improvement and never seem to get smashed at home. Vols better on paper but long road trip .... when tennessee is ahead 28-14 at ucla in the 4th quarter you still have to sweat that game out. Definite pass for me at 7.5 despite liking the vols to win.

kentucky lost a lot of its value too. louisville may be the only team that had a worse spring to kick off than florida this year. kentucky has the better defense. I hate getting that much the worst of it though and won't be playing. Lets put it into perspective ,.... most books charge a half point at 10 cents ( sometimes more at the -/+ 3 ) so when you lose 3 points in a line it is the equivalent of 60 cents of juice. Or to give examples in regards to moneylines ...... utep at +3 is +135 , utah at +3.5 is +145 ... Fresno state at +5.5 is +190 , alabama at +4.5 is at +170 and new mexico at +6.5 is at +220. .. kentucky at +3.5 is at +145. I saw 6 on this game late july. Now some of that value is in the cardinal injuries no doubt but as value bettors and handicappers we won't make money long term if we get that much the worst of the number. Sometimes this is going to cost us a winning bet ... i remember laying off of georgia tech last year against notre dame because i lost just an incredible amount of value in that line ... georgia tech crushed the irish as expected and maybe i missed a bet i should have made but i think long term discipline is more important .... and in the long term , value betting is going to win out.

The short answer is that i love your teaser menu and would expect it to win.

Kyle thanks for the time you spent in a very in depth response. Teasers seem to always screw me and i swear them off only to fall back into them. I said i would not play them this year but may break my rule as early as week one. As you said the Cats have the best D as they have had in years. The UL WR's have either graduated, have gotten shot are doing time in the county. I really think there is a mismatch in every skill position except at QB. I also think Steve K may be lossing control of his team. While UK is going in the opposite direction. While there were some off the field problems at UK with Curtis Pulley, a QB trying to win the starting job, Coach Brooks handled it by immediatly kicking him off the team. I think this builds a team. The team is also super excited with the announcement that Joker Phillips has been made the heir apparant. Also, and I got my balls busted in another forum for suggesting this, but I think the team may be excited with the recent recruits the team has signed. UK has never signed a 5 star QB recruit from outside the state of Kentucky and just signed TWO in the last month. I am not ignoring what you said about value, I really do hear you there and see your point. But in this case I will take it because where as it was higher in July, I see the better team getting points.

Anyway thanks for the feedback I may sleep on it and decided what i am going to do.

Heres to a profitable week one. I can't believe it is here!:cheers:

Just saying there is value lost and i dont like losing that much value. There very well could still be value in that line with kentucky. if you asked me to bet the game , i obviously go kentucky as it was a heavy lean of mine all month.

gl whatever you do , emmit

kyle,

good job getting a good number in the Hawaii game...if I had an eighth play on Saturday it would be Hawaii...I'll be pulling for you...

I appreciate you saying that and will trying to just keep plugging away...I think the thing that is great about these forums is our ability to share information with eachother, and you do a hell of a job with your research...

on a side note, I agree that college teasers are pretty much worthless...I used to bet them about a decade ago and it just seems that the college games don't come as close to the number as the pro games...there's also the theory that two (or more things) have to happen in order to win one bet...

I think earlier in the thread that broadwayjoe and i were discussing the starting offensive line for utep and his projections turned out to be correct and i was wrong. here is an article discussing the offensive line heading into the buffalo game.

<!-- overline--><!--title-->
UTEP Miners plan to rely on experienced offensive line

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Bret Bloomquist / El Paso Times
<!--date-->Article Launched: 08/23/2008 12:10:59 AM MDT

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var requestedWidth = 0; </SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </SCRIPT>EL PASO -- On a team full of typical August question marks, the UTEP football team is counting on its offensive line to be the exclamation point.
If expectations become reality, if UTEP lives up to coach Mike Price's confident statement that this is his best line in his five years here, then here is another prediction: Right tackle Colby Meek and right guard Rod Huntley will have reached their potential.
With proven producers in center Robby Felix, left guard Cameron Raschke and left tackle Mike Aguayo, the new-look right side holds the keys to the kingdom.
"We're getting better every day," offensive line coach Bob Connelly said. "They are doing a great job of allowing us to go out and execute the offense."
On one level, Huntley and Meek have a daunting job. They not only are new starters on a unit that is always about cohesiveness, but they also have to account for the loss of Oneil Cousins, who was taken in the third round of the NFL draft.
That job specifically falls to Meek, though in some ways Huntley is perhaps the better analogy to Cousins.
Like Cousins was this time two years ago -- and really even this time a year ago --the sophomore Huntley is a raw prospect.
Meek, a junior, is more polished at this stage of his career.
"He can play tackle, guard, center," Price said. "He may be the most important lineman we have on the team. He's doing a great job."
"A student of the game," Connelly said. While Meek is new to the starting lineup, he was a bigpart of the rotation last year.
"I'm feeling really good out there," Meek said. "Coach Connelly breaks it down and makes it simple. We start from the basics. I don't see it as a lot of pressure. It's about stepping in and doing a role.
"The pressure is the pressure I put on myself. It's fundamentals and technique."
Huntley is the only unproven starting cog on the line, but he's also one of the best athletes on the team. At 6-foot-3, 310 pounds, he has the potential to be elite.
"I know what I need to do. It's just experience and executing," he said. "I have a lot better understanding of what the alignments are."
Connelly agreed.
"He has not played a lot of football, but physically he has all the tools," he said. "He's got to learn the defenses better. He needs to be a student of the game, and he's still learning, but I'm pleased with his progress. "He's a very good athlete. He has a great center of gravity; he's very powerful. Once he figures it out mentally and can let loose and play, he'll be a special player."

There are two internet posters whose picks I write down every week.
Their handles are pags11 and vegaskyle.

FCS games are now up at 5Dimes at -120.
A few there I like but I believe that after 5Dimes sees which way the wind blows and they will adjust the points and bring the juice down to 115.
I don't like paying 115 but I have to. Hopefully I won't need to go to 120.
GL- everybody.

damn vegas just read this whole thread, good shit on everything.

that summation on the Hawaii Florida was said very clear, got me rolling with more confidence......the only unknown is Hawaii's offense....:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Will definitely be playing fresno state and that will likely be my last full unit play of week one. There is a chance of strange circumstance of a major line move or weather situation or late injury but that seems highly unlikely right now looking over at weather.com. My final card should look like this ..

bet# 156 wyoming -9.5 -110 ( CRIS ) added date of original post
bet# 145 Temple -4.5 -110 ( CRIS ) added date of original post

Bet# 165 TCU -5.5 -110 ( CRIS ) added date of original post
Bet# 189 Idaho +28 ( Leroy's ) added august 13
Bet# 127 UTEP moneyline +135 ( CRIS ) added august 21
bet# 177 hawaii + 35.5 ( CRIS ) added august 26
bet# 211 Fresno state + some number that i dont know yet, not locked in yet.

Here are the reasons that i like fresno st which are just my thoughts from ETG's thread about this game cut and pasted here. Like the Hawaii thoughts it is more in generalities than detail but feel free to ask anything and i will give you my analysis. Also , i try to answer every post but if i missed you or glossed over anything that you still want response to , just let me know. Put a lot of work into the week1 card and season and it's a bit scary heading into the action as a bad week would be demoralizing though not exactly improbable. No matter how well I may or may not have capped these games , I do take pride in the way that i approached locking in the games. I got Wyoming pretty early and managed to get it under key number 10. Temple a good 2.5 or 3 points the best of it at -4.5 and under key numbers 6 and 7. I got tcu at the 5.5 under the key number 6 and maybe 7 though every time it touches 7 there is pushback. I got idaho at -28 and i don't really remember seeing a 28.5 so feel good about that. I got Hawaii at 35.5 and force the sixth score of margin for florida and feel good about that ... i waited quite awhile for momentum to stop. I got UTEP at a fair number atleast and sticking to my guns about playing dogs of 3.5 or less on the moneyline this year. See the thread where it is discussed about the percentage of times dogs that cover these spreads win and do the math .. much better to go moneyline on average though it can obviously cost you a game. Fresno st looks like the game where i am taking the worst of it a little bit but given the other games i can accept that loss of value. So if nothing else , if i have miscapped , misinterpreted , misanalyzed , and misevaluated these games , i still got the best of the number and that is important in my opinion. Not officially locked in on fresno state but it will be a play. In the event that i do not bet the fresno st game prior to kickoff of the first bet that i make , the game will NOT be listed in post #3 with the other bets as i am doing my best to not edit my plays posts after the first bet has gone off. So it will be somewhere else in that case.

oh yeah the fresno st thoughts from the other thread ........

liking fresno here. wish i had played this when mags did. if it hits 4.5 i am going to have to bite the bullet and pull the trigger but still praying for a 6 somewhere. Don't want to risk it falling to 4 though , so at 4.5 most places i am betting. Rates to be a close game..... and have to like the chances of either team that is behind getting a late score.

looking over rutgers schedule from last year , they really only beat one decent team when they defeated usf at home ... and they needed a couple of fake kicks and ponderous big east officiating ( a season long theme ..see uconn/temple , uconn/ville etc ) to pull that one off. And I think last years team was better than this one. When they faced decent running games last year they got killed.

41-24 win over navy , midshipmen 254 yds rushing
24-34 loss to maryland , terps 239 rushing
23-28 loss to bearcats , cincy 150 rushing
3-31 loss to west by god virginia , mountaineers 254 rushing
19-39 loss to uconn , huskies 256 rushing
20-16 win over pitt, panthers 74 yards ( an exception )
38-41 loss to the ville , 240 rushing ayrds for the cardinals

They just had a really tough time with good rush teams. That was when they had Rice and a ground game that ate up clock and kept the defense fresh. Now they are going to rely more on the pass and that makes defending the run with fresh bodies all the harder imo. And that's the rub with this Fresno st team .. they like to ram it down your throat. Basically returning entire offensive line this year and have tow capable backs to deliver with. A veteran quality college qb to beat them with the play action pass game and make good decisions. Look at wht fresno did from mid october on rushing the ball .

170 vs latech .... avg all. 137
307 at nevada .... avg all. 174
238 at idaho .......avg all. 161
251 vs sjsu .........avg all. 165
89 vs boisest .......avg all. 131
255 vs utahst mighty aggies ...avg all. 196
182 at hawaii ........avg all. 134
236 kansas st .......avg all. 142
263 at nmsu .........avg all. 168
286 georgia tech ....avg all. 115

So they consistently outperformed vs the opposing rush defense and as i already said it is rush defense that was the achilles heal of rutgers all of last year. Schiano is a good coach but i just think that if he loads up to stop the run that brandstater is good enough now and the receivers are good enough now to take advantage.

Now Rutgers poses some problems for the fresno defense too but i think most of those problems are through the air. Teel is going to be an improved player but i have watched a lot of rutgers football games and if given enough opportunities , he makes mistakes. He improved to a 20-13 td/int ratio last year but consider the great opportunities he got when the opponents were just loading up the box to stop R Rice. While I think Rutgers will have some success running hte ball here too , you have to think they rely on the stable of WR to get a lot of the work done. They have a definitive edge there ... but when one team rates to be tough to stop rushing and the other tough to stop passing ... guess where more of the big negative plays happen ? yup. So I think that Fresno gets the tough yards and is more likely to wear down the rutgers defense than the other way around. Fresno gets up for these games and I think Rutgers is a little over rated this year , much like they definitely were last year.

Rutgers can win and cover but i like my chances at a cover with fresno st..... i can see rutgers up 10 or 11 and fresno st going backdoor as well but i find it hard to envision a situation where rutgers blows the doors off of fresno st. No R Rice and relying more on Teel ... I say prove it.

Phenomenal write-ups Kyle. Very valuable information. I've like Fresno as a team since the end of last season and you just confirm those beliefs even more

yeah, Kyle, this thread was all quality posting. I'm not on any of your plays, but will definitely be watching these...actually I have a bit of UTEP at +3/3.5

good luck, look forward to this year

Looks like a light rain might hit buffalo near or at gametime. This would hurt our side slightly but should not be that important.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=233 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=CCTextsm vAlign=top align=left colSpan=3>
Updated Aug 28 12:25 p.m. ET
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
11.gif
</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsTempText vAlign=center align=middle>61°F</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Rain Shower</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=middle>Feels Like: 61°F</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>UV Index:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>3 Moderate</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Wind:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>From the South Southeast at 10 mph</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Dew Point:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>54°F</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Humidity:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>79%</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Visibility:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>7.0 miles</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Pressure:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>30.00 inches and steady</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><!--inserst CMS module here--><TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #863637 1px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=blkVerdanaText12 align=middle bgColor=#fffae2>
blank.gif

UTEP
@ Buffalo (Schedule)
blank.gif

Thursday, August 28, 2008

blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><COLGROUP><COL><COL></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inDentA style="COLOR: #ffffff" align=left bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif

Event Day Forecast for Aug. 28
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inDentA align=middle bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif

Light Rain
Daytime High:65°F
Overnight Low:62°F
Probability of Precipitation: 60%
Wind: From the South Southeast at 15 mph
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="60%" bgColor=#fffae2>Spectator Index</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="40%" bgColor=#fffae2>UV Index</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="60%" bgColor=#ffffff>3</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="40%" bgColor=#ffffff>Moderate</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#fffae2>Sunrise</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#fffae2>Sunset</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#ffffff>6:36 AM</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#ffffff>7:56 PM</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=inDentA align=left bgColor=#fffae2>
blank.gif
Event Details
Other Local Sporting Events
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Kyle good luck buddy, looked for this thread last night and couldnt find it.

The mod ship was well deserved btw..

Grading of first nights games

Actually played ,,,,

UTEP + 135 loser 17-42 to buffalo -1.00 units.

Avatar bet miners +3 loser 17-42 ---have to sport a utah logo during unlv-utah week. luckily out of town most of next week

Cincinnati won tonight for the future bet, they are now 1-0.

Unfortunately my leans that i eliminated did well. Good that i had them capped decently atleast.

Rough start. Did not see a play of that game and have yet to visit the box score or play by play so i will talk about it in next weeks thread when i recap week one bets there .... how big will the Texas line be next week ? lol.

Still was nice to have football start.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead><TD colSpan=3>Team Stat Comparison</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left> </TD><TD>
2638.gif
</TD><TD>
2084.gif
</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>1st Downs</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>23</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>3rd down efficiency
</TD><TD>7-16</TD><TD>7-10</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>4th down efficiency
</TD><TD>0-2</TD><TD>1-1</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Total Yards</TD><TD>266</TD><TD>484</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Passing</TD><TD>199</TD><TD>221</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Comp-Att
</TD><TD>20-37</TD><TD>10-16</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per pass
</TD><TD>5.4</TD><TD>13.8</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Rushing</TD><TD>67</TD><TD>263</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Rushing Attempts
</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>50</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per rush
</TD><TD>2.6</TD><TD>5.3</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Penalties</TD><TD>2-14</TD><TD>6-60</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Turnovers</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Fumbles lost
</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Interceptions thrown
</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Possession</TD><TD>27:21</TD><TD>32:39</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That tells the story. Started really bad but they were outplayed at the line of scrimmage and that is what decides these things. Wrong side , and very wrong apparently about what utep will be this year, unless buffalo is just a lot better than i thought. i doubt it ..they gave up 263 on the ground to buffalo and face the longhorns next week. ouch. 221 pass yards on 10 receptions ...wow.

Sometimes it is tough to step up to the plate and just admit that you were wrong about a game but that is exactly the case here for me. Scary since this was my favorite of the week. As i recall i lost my first game last year and then my first bowl game last year too. Need to stop that. lol.

It could be a mis-read of the Miners such that they aren't any good at all, or it could be that UTEP was just unbelievably unfocused and disinterested and their thoughts were already on Texas. They could give the Horns a game. We see it happen every year.

GL on your remaining plays. Esp. the Wyoming play.

holy shit

you ARE a mod now! didnt even realize

congrats man, you deserved it. great cfb insight in the offseason/this season already and one of the most calm and collected guys on here.

and one day youre going to win a bracelet with a CTG shirt on. i can feel it
:cheers:

The word on Graunke came from Hawaiiguy and i havent seen anything to confirm it yet. I am sure we will know the answer to that question long before kickoff. If he is out , it will be a no play for me though.

Otherwise a continued rise in the line may mean a bet. hehe 5 td ?

I don't think urban meyer leaves tebow in at all in the case of a blowout. Keep in mind that it was the fact that Tebow was banged up last year that contributed to both their loss to georgia and to the wolverines in the capital one bowl. I thnik he tries to get tebow through the game with as few hits as possible. If Meyer is smart , Tebow does not get to 1000 yards rushing this year and with the heisman in the bag already , I think he can look team first a lot more this season than he might otherwise. Of course , floridas backup could come in and run it up too ....

Just a quick update on Hawaii:

GRAUNKE will NOT play!!! He isn't even on the road trip due to an earlier suspension for not meeting academic eligibility. He has recently been reinstated (within this past week) but wasn't allowed to make the trip.

Quarterback RAUSCH (JUCO transfer) was named the starter about 2 weeks ago, but due to a sore arm and not practicing ALEXANDER has gained some ground on the starting QB.

New Head Coach GREG McMackin hasn't yet made that decision. As for the receivers that made headlines the last two years, all 3 are gone making attempts to play in the NFL. What is left of the Hawaii Offense is green.

Too many unknowns for me on Hawaii, but leaning to an over if I can get a line on it. I may have more tomorrow if our local reporter can give any insite in Florida

damn vegas just read this whole thread, good shit on everything.

that summation on the Hawaii Florida was said very clear, got me rolling with more confidence......the only unknown is Hawaii's offense....:cheers::cheers::cheers:

What's up HG? After reading quite a bit, I still have no input on HI offense as well.

I watched the entire game VK.

My impressions:

UTEP was in the game alot longer than they should have been. They could not stop Buffalo, Buffalo's only non-scores resulted from holding penalties that put them into 3rd and longs. They have ZERO interior defensive line presence and let Buffalo run all over them. There must have been 7-10 3rd and 2's and Buffalo never came away with less than 5 yards on each of them.

The new coordinator is running schemes that he simply does not have the secondary talent available to do so. Blitzing 6 or 7 at a time and the DB's got toasted every time. I think they got to the QB a couple times though. But when you give up 2-3 40+ yard bombs... something is wrong. I mean these guys were flat out toasted and the blitz for the most part was easily picked up.

UTEP had the best player on the field... the QB... but they just couldn't score on a few key possessions... including around midfield when the game was tied 14-14. They never put it in the end zone after that. UTEP's running game was a joke... and they missed connections on simple WR screens, etc.

You walk away realizing how bad this defense really is... they tackle alright but are slow to the ball and get pushed back everytime. Texas IMO should never, once, not convert a 3rd down against these guys. Line should be 19-22 points at least.

Gar- yup , probably a misread of utep. i thnk that because buffalo is the more known team of the two.

BAR -- yup. Just amazing. Offensive line just destroyed them and starks got it done, I have now bet against buffalo twice in their last 12 games. They have outscored me 84-24 in those two games , obviously averaging 42 points a game. They average 24.6 over the other ten games.

thanks captwo -- I think this is the best college football forum on the net. Would be proud to wear ctg gear at a final table someday.

ssgkaapana-i think alexander probably ends up with more snaps than Rausch when all is said and done unless Rausch is having a ton of success.

inspekdah -- Yes , it is hard to imagine that a defense that gets physically dominated like that against buffalo is going to fare too well against an offensive line that is filled with nfl talent type guys. Knew they got torched in the air with the 22.1 avg yds per catch they had. Wondering if you could tell me what the actual weather was in the game.

I didn't see the game, but love what Turner Gill is doing in Buffalo. I can assure you that a lot of those passes came from play action. James Starks was pounding the ball with ease and he was the focus of UTEP's defense. Makes it easy for Drew Willy, who is a decent QB, to exploit man coverage while the safeties are watching for Starks.

Also of note, Starks is a good receiver out of the backfield, so even on PA, the backers had to be aware of him slipping out. Very surprised that neither Starks nor Thermilus did much with catches. 3 rec for 14 yards. They combined for 49 catches last year.

I didn't see the game, but love what Turner Gill is doing in Buffalo. I can assure you that a lot of those passes came from play action. James Starks was pounding the ball with ease and he was the focus of UTEP's defense. Makes it easy for Drew Willy, who is a decent QB, to exploit man coverage while the safeties are watching for Starks.

Also of note, Starks is a good receiver out of the backfield, so even on PA, the backers had to be aware of him slipping out. Very surprised that neither Starks nor Thermilus did much with catches. 3 rec for 14 yards. They combined for 49 catches last year.

I think Turner Gil will be coaching Syracuse next season. Excellent coach.

The system that Lewis is running for the miners is very aggressive to begin with and then becomes that much more aggressive when they can't stop the run with the normal allotment of players. Still , the 42 that buffalo scored is a little shocking but not nearly as shocking as utep only getting 17 against that defense.

Just wrong about what UTEP was all about.

Oh, someone mentioned earlier that maybe they were disinterested and looking ahead to texas. suppose anything is possible but no one looks ahead week 1. It is such a rare bird that i doubt htat was the case here. They just got whipped by a better prepared and perhaps more talented team whose cohesiveness year over year paid dividends. Obviously when you give 263 yards on the ground and big pass play after big pass play , you have not quite mastered the current defensive system.

Mike Price probably lost his job with that loss and effort. Would be surprised to see him back for utep next year unless they win conference usa and that appears unlikely.

Back