World Juniors Championship 2020/Plays

gsro

Give me the NHL, or give me death
After the hockey break, we kick off the season puck season with some WJC action. I'm not sure how much coverage there is in the US, but here in Canada and in Europe there is a lot of attention on this tourney. The future stars and some current NHLers are typically highlighted and this year cuase of 'rona, we are getting some top talent we normally wouldn't see. The NHL is expecting to start January 13, 2021 and because of this some players have been left out since they would miss start of training camps.

Schedule:

IIHF WORLD JUNIOR HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIP PRE-COMPETITION (EDMONTON, AB)

TEAMSDATETIME (ET)NETWORK
USA vs SwitzerlandSunday, December 206pmTSN
Finland vs Czech RepublicSunday, December 209:30pmTSN
Austria vs GermanyMonday, December 212pmTSN
Sweden vs CanadaMonday, December 216pmTSN
Russia vs SlovakiaMonday, December 219:30pmTSN
Finland vs USATuesday, December 226pmTSN
Switzerland vs SwedenTuesday, December 229:30pmTSN
Slovakia vs AustriaWed, December 232pmTSN
Canada vs RussiaWed, December 236pmTSN
Czech Republic vs GermanyWed, December 239:30pmTSN

IIHF WORLD JUNIOR HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIP (EDMONTON, AB)

TEAMSDATETIME (ET)NETWORK
Switzerland vs. SlovakiaFriday, December 252pmTSN
Germany vs. FinlandFriday, December 256pmTSN
Russia vs. United StatesFriday, December 259:30pmTSN
Sweden vs. Czech RepublicSaturday, December 262pmTSN
Germany vs. CanadaSaturday, December 266pmTSN
United States vs. AustriaSaturday, December 269:30pmTSN
Finland vs. SwitzerlandSunday, December 272pmTSN
Slovakia vs. CanadaSunday, December 276pmTSN
Czech Republic vs. RussiaSunday, December 279:30pmTSN
Austria vs. SwedenMonday, December 286pmTSN
Slovakia vs. GermanyMonday, December 289:30pmTSN
United States vs. Czech RepublicTuesday, December 292pmTSN
Canada vs. SwitzerlandTuesday, December 296pmTSN
Austria vs. RussiaTuesday, December 299:30pmTSN
Finland vs. SlovakiaWed, December 302pmTSN
Switzerland vs. GermanyWed, December 306pmTSN
Russia vs. SwedenWed, December 309:30pmTSN
Czech Republic vs. AustriaThursday, December 312pmTSN
Canada vs. FinlandThursday, December 316pmTSN
Sweden vs. United StatesThursday, December 319:30pmTSN
QuarterfinalsSaturday, January 212pmTSN
QuarterfinalsSaturday, January 23:30pmTSN
QuarterfinalsSaturday, January 27pmTSN
QuarterfinalsSaturday, January 210:30pmTSN
SemifinalsMonday, January 46pmTSN
SemifinalsMonday, January 49:30pmTSN
BronzeTuesday, January 55:30pmTSN
GoldTuesday, January 59:30pmTSN
Schedule subject to change

The tournament is following the bubble format the NHL playoffs used and all the games will be in Alberta. A bunch of teams have already lost players and coaches to ineligibility due to 'rona protocols. The refs are all Canadian this year due to covid as the IIHF wanted to limit the amount of travel necessary.

The US won't have Robertson or Hughes as their NHL teams were waiting to see when training camp started.
Canada will not have Lafreniere for the same reason.
Daniel Alfredsson will not be coaching Sweden due to 'rona

Will tabulate the other losses by team but those are just what popped out in my head as all 3 are game changers.

From the NA point of view, really excited to see the top two lines for Canada but really interested in what Dach, Cozens and McMichael can achieve. The US should be able to score a ton, but interested in Beniers. Also, Kaliyev and Zegras are going to be a two-headed monster as well.

Best tournament hands down. NHL Network in USA is airing every single game starting with tomorrow's prelims.

Watching the the USA/Finland exhibition... I expected a lot more sloppiness but they have been pretty good.. reminder that most of the kids haven';t played in a long ass time...they've been training but no real scrimmages

Love this tournament

Think Canada might be too stacked for it to be competitive tho

Even without laf, theres like 16 1st round picks on the team

Love this tournament

Think Canada might be too stacked for it to be competitive tho

Even without laf, theres like 16 1st round picks on the team
20 first round picks. Their problem is going to be goaltending, however they should be able to outsxore their opponents. They have a light schedule, so hopefully they get up for the playoffs. They have had plenty of slow starts in the past.

tonight is the first view, but I expect mcmichael, dach, cozens and byfield to just tear it up.

Interesting line here for Canada. McMichael, Krebbs and perfetti as the third. Yikes that is nice

If people didn’t know, Askarov is the real deal. So efficient and calm in net.

Byfield realized that he’s bigger than most of the competition and is using his body early and often. Canadians playing neutral zone trap early against the russians

Big blow, Kirby Dach is out of WJC.
For those that didn’t know, dach requested to be there. When they found out nhl wouldn’t be starting on time, he and his agent called Hockey Canada. Chicago doctors are now examining him.

What site are you using for this tourney? Can’t find it on the couple I use. Thanks

Totals and Sides 1-1 -0.19

Recap: USA came out slow, and the end of the match was much better as they finally got their legs going, overall the match was meh.

Dec 26 2020

Canada/Germany Over 8.5 1.93
Sweden/Czech Republic Over 5.5 1.81
USA/Austria 1st Period over 2.5 1.74
Canada/Germany 1st Period over 2.5 1.93

The loss of Dach is huge, but I think you have to understand how deep the forward group is for this team. As mentioned, 20 first round picks and their only real question mark is their starting goaltender who came out of left field. The team has even said they had not heard or known about Levi until they got here but after a shut out (albeit in a tune up against Russia) he has the support of his team and coaches. To put into perspective, with Canada, you can't really say 1st, 2nd 3rd 4th line, their '3rd' line center is Byfield who went 2 overall just behind LeFreniere. I expect them to score early and often and feel the nerves of Levi will allow a goal or 2 against the Germans.

Sweden total play is based on the fact you just can't hang anything under 6.5 in this tourney to me and not expect me to play it. This tourney overall, I feel, is one that is quite predictable in that there is a distinct separator between the top 5 and bottom 5 of the tourney and the scoreboard typically reflects it.

Last edited:
Who's the 2nd best team in this? Sweden? Russia?
Sweden still missing players, but they are strong and it starts with Lucas Raymond. Really don’t think it’s far off between Sweden, Russia and the Americans. Last night wasn’t the best games for either team. Americans have more speed than they showed last night(must be that chipotle sponsorship holding them back), so I expect them to get going. Sorry for not really answering/definitively saying who is second best but those 3, given the circumstances, are not separated by much.

22 shots in the first for the Americans and 5 posts. Those 5 posts do not count towards shots on goal in the stats book. Deserved better there.

Totals and Sides 4-2 +1.48

Dec 27, 2020

Canada/Slovakia over 9 1.95
Canada/Slovakia Ovr 8.5 2.07
Russia/Czech Republic over 5.5

Didn't have to sweat much in the Canadian game, however don't be fooled by the production. Yes they can pour it on, however the backup goaltender for Germany was in starting the second and was left there. Pretty much he was the relief pitcher that has to keep pitching no matter what and the Canadians just kept hitting bombs. Don't expect a sweat against the Slovaks again today. It's going to be of the same ilk just unlikely to get to 16 again. Levi wasn't really tested outside of the first period where he let in a goal and then was subsequently pulled to give others playing time. Noticed the lines moved against move overnight, so I'm adding to the over 8.5.

Russia/Czech Republic over 5.5 1.71 - Same idea as Sweden last night, hang me anything under 6.5 with at least 1 quality team I'm going to hit the over.

What a night. Kudos to the Slovaks and using that neutral zone trap to their advantage. No one saw that coming, but it was decent hockey to watch. And the upset by the Czechs! Like I said earlier, there isn't much that separates Russia, USA and Sweden and I guess you could throw in the Czechz but I feel the difference is larger there than between the 3.

Totals and Sides 4-2 -2.52
Dec 28 2020

Sweden Over 9 2.24
1st Period Under Germany/Slovakia 1.76

Corrected the win/loss totals. Interesting stuff going on with the Canadian team which they showed some life again against the Swiss. Coaches were complaining that the kids were trying to make everything look too pretty and making an extra pass when a good opportunity was right in front of them. Message received by the Canadians as they shot a helluva lot more and potted 10.

Totals and Sides 4-7 -4.52

Some quality games tonight, believe Russia not in a must win, but if they lose tonight, they would drop to 4th assuming Czech take care of business against the Swiss tomorrow. A win and an American win puts them ahead of the USA and likely avoids' Canada (I think).

Germany/Swiss in a must win to avoid relegation.

Russia ML 1.81
Germany ML 1.98 (Regulation only)
Germany -1.5 3.11

Not sure what I want to do with totals as I have a few circled. Back with more if I decide to lock in

And 2 times.. that’s brutal, we’ll get it back with some goals in the Canada game

Totals and Sides 6-8 -3.73

Thought I had the sweep in Germany as it played out to how I thought it would except the Swiss scored 2 PPG goals in the last 2 minutes of the game to ruin the -1.5. Yes, I was aware of the Swedes record unbeaten streak during prelims. The division gets super foggy now, I believe the Russians can do no worse than second (could be wrong). USA/Sweden the winner gets first unless it's a shootout OT win by the Americans as I believe that is still a 2 point then it gets messy as Russia, Sweden and USA would all have 8 points. Canada/Finland play for first today as well. Winner or Czech/Austria also playing for relegation. This will be the first time I really feel an offense will be able to challenge Levi outside of the Russian tune up. He has bailed out Canada on some bad turnovers in each of the games.

Canada/Finland Over 6 - 1.98
USA/Sweden Over 6 - 1.83
Sweden ML - 2.42

I'm more vested with the totals, but as mentioned earlier in this thread; Sweden, Russia and the USA aren't that far apart from one another just depends on the night and I liked what I saw from them last night. Surprisingly, the Canada game has me a little nervous as they haven't really be tested and typically when we are up against it, we tend to forego the defense (historically at this tourney) and just try to score as much as we can which shouldn't be a problem this year. Expecting a ton of goals tbh you're going to see them "up" for this first place game.

FYI that was Sweden's first preliminary loss in 15 years... let that sink in.

Started with the backcheck, looked off the defender and short side snipe. Finland on their heels

Damn 17-1 in shots. Had their chances, felt I deserved better in the first period wager. Oh well Go Canada!

Totals and Sides 6-11 -6.73

Felt like I deserved a little better in the Canada/Finland game. Fins were not ready for the type of pressure Canada showed. 17-1 in shots in the first period with about 3 goal posts. Connor McMichael had 3 post shots all game, unfortunate really.

Quarters today, Russki's are already playing and look to be the better team.

I expected a little more from Sweden this tournament even if they were missing some of their players but they just look really out of sync. Fins 3-1 record a little flawed seeing how weak that division was outside of Canada. Will take a flyer here with Finland who has shown me much more consistency compared to the Swedes this tournament. Seems they want it a little bit more as well. I think Lambert and co. can really cause some issues for the Swedes on the half board.

No real interest anywhere else, Semis and Finals we will get better lines.

Finland ML 2.48

Joining you on the Fins.

I assume you meant -5.5 for the Yanks? I see it's down to 1.67 at Pinny now.

GL

Back