World Juniors Championship 2020/Plays

this is the first team that’s actually being physical with the Canadians and matching that portion of the game.

The Canadian power play needs to get better especially in the semis and finals. 5-16 is not good. 3 against Swiss and 2 against Germany.
Tomasino release is pretty filthy

Barring an upset. We are going to get Canada/Russia.
They reseed after each round and it would be
Canada, USA, Finland, and Russia

Russia really limped out of that game, was not very impressed by them tbh and Germany was about 4 inches from tying the game late

Canada finally got an opponent that matched their physical game and it showed. Levi was awesome and I don't have a lot of questions. Pace and physicality, on top of skill, was Canada's recipe for success and the Czech's hit them back. 27 shots was the most they've allowed in a game.

USA looked great, bad, good, and great again in 60 minutes. I think they key to get to them will be speed and the half boards. Also, if you can get into Spencer's head that helps a ton.

Finland the no quit team. 3-0-1 record is a bit flawed since the division was so weak.

I'm expecting a Canada/US final, will look to plays tomorrow. Waiting on some injury notes

Jan 04, 2021

Canada -1.5 @ 1.92 in regulation

Canada played Russia in a tune up game which was most of these players first game in over 5 months. Coaches experimenting pre tournament. Russia, and to a lesser extent Askarov, hasn't looked very impressive to me throughout the tournament. A knock on Russian teams have always been their effort level, especially when the going gets tough. I suspect we get Newhook back in the line up. The forecheck and speed will eventually wear this team down I feel!

Finland ML 3.29
Finland Over 5.5 2.24

A little contrarian to what we've sort of seen with the Fins. I think for the FIns to be successful they will need to be a little more aggressive with their forecheck and probably play less of the trap we've seen them play thus far; thats why I took the over play here as we already know the Americans can score and we should see a lot of counters. Played the ML on price value, if they've shown anything in this, it's that they are able to hang around and be very pesky.

Last edited:
Newhook scoring the first goal and the Canadians slowly shutting things down. Don’t need to go into the 1-2-2 just yet, their best defense is forechecking and they are still going strong.

2 of Canada’s goals tonight, Askarov has lost his stick. Dudes gotta keep a hold of his wood better

Textbook win by Canada. Their best game still has been the Finland game, but this was another solid performance. Kept the Russians to the side boards and always high off the puck. Middle was not open for them much. Forechecking was solid as was the goaltending. Hope we finish strong with the Finnish wagers

The fins out played the Americans in second period but are down 3-1. 2 more goals please.

Let’s gooooo Hirvonen again the leafs prospects gets the over and a chance to win. Fins have been the better team last two periods.

Totals and Sides 9-13 -5.09
Canada/USA over 5.5 1.82 , 3 units
Finland ML 2.07 OT included

Let's start with the Canada game. Was as textbook as you could get with this team. I still think their best performance was against the Fins. Methodically wore down the Russians and eventually just kept them to the side boards. The Russians love working the middle and that wasn't available. Levi also had revenge from the U18 where this same team beat them for Gold.

USA/Finland - this was an ironic loss for the FIns. The Fins seem to win when they seem out of the game the most, see the Sweden game, but yesterday I feel they won periods 2 and 3 and were dictating play. USA in the first looked great and even though scoring 2 late ones in the second they didn't look the better part. Mentioned that you can get into Spencer Knight's head and it showed last night. Not sure what Leaman was doing but the forecheck was non existent and you have to play a complete game against the Fins and now Canada.

Championship game - Already played the over for tonight which includes OT. But it's been a while since Canada and our American neighbours have hooked up for a meaningful game. The last time they had a meaningful game it was back in 2017 where they beat Canada twice and one was for the Gold.

2020 - Candaa 6-4 (prelim)
2019 - N/A
2018 - Shootout win USA 4-3 (prelim)
2017 - USA 3-1 (prelim) and USA shootout 5-4*

I feel both team have to and will come out fast and we're going to see some good forechecking and opportunities. Caaufield, last night after Finland game, said they have to come out and fucking attack. Levi looks great in net and Knight has definitely taken care of business. This is going to be an all out war and I expect each team to really put a lot of pressure on the puck and create chances. Want to see how Byram and Schneider handle Zegras and company, It's going to geophysical and it's going to be fun tonight. If you can shut down Zegras and Caufield, which isn't easy, the depth scoring isn't even comparable. The Russians clogged the middle against the Americans and forced them to the boards and you'll likely see that tonight. It's gonna be fast, it's gonna be fun and the rivalry lives on!

@chipnotized you are correct. The compete from Finland has been much better than the Russians and they are not far off on paper from one another. I have been more impressed with the Fins than the Russians. The Russsian's were adamant on Gold this tourney feeling they were right there with Askarov in net and their talented forward group. Motivation is likely a Q today in this game.

Last edited:
FYI the total is inclusive of OT in case anyone is curious. Let’s go Canada and let’s go goals. Won’t be good for my heart rate unless it’s a blow out but getting ready for this one.

Some more stats. The US are 3-1 in gold medal games against Canada having won the last 3. Dates back to 1997, where Canada won last. 2017 and 2010 went to extras where one was a shootout and 2004 was a 4-3 game. Canada’s win was 2-0 the rest were 7,11 and 9 goals. So here’s hoping the trend continues on the goal side.

Great first period by the Americans. Let’s see if the boys can answer back with some pace in the second.

Helluva tourney.

Kudos to the Americans, played a great game. First time the Canadian's had to face some adversity and it's unfortunate it came in the very last game. Felt like if they got one by, maybe on Byram's backhand dangle that hit the post. No one saw a shutout coming tonight oh well. This tourney is always fun, can't wait for the next one.

Totals and Sides 10-14 -7.02

Back