Group Games 1 Discussion Thread

Was listening to a podcast today that is basically going preview the days events and next days game . Was very informative

Couple of thoughts from the pundits:

- we kinda all thought Russia was shit , and they might very well be against high level teams , Saudi Arabia were just tactically awful gave Russia loads of space . Expect Saudi’s Arabia to clean things up a little in the back

- Spain coaching debacle is a bit of concern , but maybe not until later rounds . Portugal CB pairing is the big concern , and Ronaldo ,does he do what’s best for Portugal to win or what’s best for Ronaldo.?He has only scored 3 World Cup goals , which I didn’t realize . Why isn’t he in the box more often on free kicks , since he clearly is their biggest weapon in the box . Instead he is desperate to score from every ridiculous angle possible. He isn’t really a great counter attacking player anymore , a penalty box player as it was put

- Morocco/ Iran - essentially a knockout game , so expect a real tight game , low scoring . Morocco was very impressive defensively in qualification, but they also have started to become everyones favorite dark horse team ( them and Peru)

- Uruguay / Egypt - sounds like Salah will start, but no idea how he would be anywhere near 100%. They are organized defensively and good up the “spine”. Salah is everything to this team , he scored something like 70% of their goals in qualification , and he is a great counter attacking player .
Uruguay have to play a pretty basic 4-4-2( 4 defender , 4 mids, 2 forwards) because Suarez and Cavani aren’t really wide players anymore, though this is more of a concern as they move along as they aren’t as Tatically flexible .They are solid in the back and have creative players , but they aren’t as “dirty” as one pundit put as they used to be . Everyone sees a Uruguay win but 1-0 , 2-0

Anyways found the info interesting , will try to share these guys thoughts when I can

Also noted in podcast that it feels like the entire country of Peru is in Russia

Last edited:
That was a good day of games

Spain probably deserved the win, but Ronaldo magic.

Morocco done , and Iran seems to have perfected the art of parking the bus . Spain and Portugal should be able to break them down . Seems inevitable Spain and Portugal advance

Uruguay did not look sharp at all, fortunately for them the group is terrible so they should be able to clean it up and be playing well when knockout rounds come around . Obviously, Egypt need Salah but I did not think they looked that bad

i thought queiroz had an awesome plan and wish they had POR next, though an ESP blowout can give us quite a lot of value in g3

Back