**********WORLD CUP IN-GAME***********

IMO soccer needs a non-penalty foul inside of the box. Maybe a fk at the top of the circle. By rule that was a penalty but by common sense there was absolutely no scoring chance there and to award .8 goals for that foul is silly.

the defender should know that and not get close to taking that chance, the non-pen would bail that decision out and the offense needs all the help it can get

It still gives a scoring opportunity just not so black and white. It also allows a referee who is scared to give a penalty for a weak foul the opportunity to blow the whistle. I do not see how this would be a bad thing other than it being different

Unless Iceland puts up a huge number on the Croats who haven't yielded one yet (though who knows what the croat roster will be)

It still gives a scoring opportunity just not so black and white. It also allows a referee who is scared to give a penalty for a weak foul the opportunity to blow the whistle. I do not see how this would be a bad thing other than it being different

Less goals isnt gonna help anything

Here is how you fix the problem.

1. Call all the fouls in the box (less advantage)
2. Use review to confirm the call
3. zero tolerance policy for diving
4. Use review to look at potential diving
5. Red Card for diving the first time.

This adds goals, adds space in the box, and most importantly it makes it harder for the park the bus method of playing soccer which is boring as shit to watch

Giving away PKs just for more goals is equally obtuse. USA World Cup final that dumb foul happens and results in a PK to lose the game and you’re losing your mind over how stupid it is to award a goal for that foul. Feel like it’s like arguing against the addition of the 3 point shot in hoops. I dunno I think it makes sense to make it less black and white but apparently I’m in the minority.

at least it's black-and-white now so defenders know not to get frisky in the box, you're asking for more grey

Might as well start off the game 1-1 then

No, that would be pointless too and not what i meant at all

You want to add judgement calls to the intent of the play, just because that specific play and types like it get called in that area doesnt mean fouls near the touchline cant be denying great chances

All it would lead to is more cynical fouls around the box if you make it smaller

they don't even have VAR in some of the top leagues in the world, more review is just not going happen

It's the diving that makes it impossible to call all the fouls in the box. As a ref has to look at a lot of different things going on and on set pieces can often be screened from certain things ..

Another option might be to move the penalty kick back a little and call it more frequently but making it less of a "sure thing"

I wonder if fox gives a shit about all this negative feed back about the product they are putting out

It's the diving that makes it impossible to call all the fouls in the box. As a ref has to look at a lot of different things going on and on set pieces can often be screened from certain things ..

Key is to look for arm extended thats what defines a push imo just like pass interference

That Dane got shoved in the box but he got up so no pen. Announcer said he was too honest Cornelius I believe. Gotta sell it

They call it outside the box but they‘re afraid to call penalties and so defenders are allowed to have the upper hand

I wonder if fox gives a shit about all this negative feed back about the product they are putting out

they've been hiring new analysts to try and fight losing market share in the US to Spanish-only, so I'd say they do. I can only imagine how much they'll whine when this thing ends about allowing another company to broadcast this thing in the US

I've almost found this world cup more interesting watching each game instead of nervously waiting for and thinking about the US and then being bummed once they are out.

I'm also on paternity leave and had two weeks off school so I've been able to watch every game. maybe that's part of it.

they've been hiring new analysts to try and fight losing market share in the US to Spanish-only, so I'd say they do. I can only imagine how much they'll whine when this thing ends about allowing another company to broadcast this thing in the US
Ratings are down 40% according to dick deitsch

But time slots a big part imo

Yeah 40% down makes sense with the time difference and no USMNT. The announcers have been really bad and monotone. The announcers outside of 4 announcing off a television... no atmosphere. The studio analysts are barely coherent and it seems like rob stone doesn’t even know what even is happening. They are also dumbingnit down. The delay on the feed of 30 seconds. It all sucks

i don't think Rob is that bad, but the analysts have been awful besides Lalas and he seems pretty polarizing too.

Why are they paying for these players none of us have ever heard of?

i don't think Rob is that bad, but the analysts have been awful besides Lalas and he seems pretty polarizing too.

Why are they paying for these players none of us have ever heard of?

tbh the guys they have are pretty well known, they just aren't good analysts or in some cases like Crespo don't know English

I've almost found this world cup more interesting watching each game instead of nervously waiting for and thinking about the US and then being bummed once they are out.

I'm also on paternity leave and had two weeks off school so I've been able to watch every game. maybe that's part of it.

Congrats on the kiddo

Back