WK 7 Gig 'ems

pressitup

Leader of the Adult Humor Industry
3-4 last week. I predicted a possible downward trend and it wasn't as bad as it could have been. UNT comes roaring back and couldn't sustain it. That could have been the difference for me. I worked all weekend, so didn't get to watch anything.
As usual the choices are littered with Texas teams, but that's where I have to start. Awaiting totals.

Zona +5
Ags -6......big shock, but I don't play them much.

Rice -2.5 More than likely will get Ross back.

UNM +15

CSU -4

Houston -9.5 Bye week got some folks healthy. Farrow will play.

UNT -5 Almost laid off , but great record at Apogee under Mac. Logan throwing to the wrong team.

Texas St. -7 ULM lost without Browning

Good Luck,

Press

Starting tackles expected to be near full strength
Starting tackles Antonio Johnson and LaChris Anyiam both had arthroscopic knee surgery prior to UNT’s game against Tulane on Saturday and are expected to be closer to full strength this week against MTSU.
Johnson did not play in UNT’s loss to Georgia on Sept. 21 and did not start last week in a loss to Tulane.
Anyiam has started every game this season and moved to left tackle in UNT’s last two games when the Mean Green shuffled its offensive line to make up for the absence of Johnson, who came off the bench against the Green Wave.
Neither Johnson nor Anyiam practiced in full pads the last two weeks.
“I am really proud of them,” McCarney said. “It speaks well of those young men and how much they give to the program. It’s hard enough to play on Saturdays when you practice and do everything you are supposed to, much less stand around and watch and ride a bike and rehab.”
UNT is expecting having both to provide the Mean Green a boost.
“You are going to miss a three-year starter,” UNT running back Brandin Byrd said of Johnson.

The open date in the schedule allowed the Cougars to get healthy.
Running back Kenneth Farrow is among several players that will return for Saturday’s game against Memphis at BBVA Compass Stadium, coach Tony Levine said Monday.
Farrow has not played since suffering an ankle injury Sept. 7 at Temple.
“He’s 100 percent,” Levine said.
Levine also said defensive ends Eric Eiland and Eric Braswell have been cleared and will play against Memphis.
• Quarterback David Piland, who began the season as the starter, should finish concussion protocol within the next few days, Levine said. Piland’s status for the rest of the season remains uncertain. True freshman John O’Korn will make his third straight start.
• The Oct. 19 game against BYU at Reliant Stadium will kick off at 2:30 p.m. The game will be aired on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. A network decision will be made after this weekend’s games.

Rice running back Charles Ross could return for Saturday’s game at UTSA, coach David Bailiff said Monday.
Ross has missed most of the last three games with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee.
“We’re not going to put him out there and risk injury,” Bailiff said. “I really think Charles will be back this week.”
Bailiff said Ross was close to playing in last week’s game against Tulsa but the decision to sit out was made just before kickoff.
“I think he needed that game to make sure he’s 100 percent,” Bailiff said.

Really like the Rice pick. They just find a way to win in conference, and I'd be surprised if UTSA nabbed them here, especially with Ross coming back. UTSA really having trouble stopping people now.

I've actually gained a healthy level of respect for Memphis under Fuente. They have really competed this year and had some of the worst luck you'll ever see in their loss to UCF on Sat. They completely dominated UCF in that one. They're still trying to win. Might not be the best of spots for them this week coming off that heartbreak, but they are on my radar to play on, so I won't be fading them.

North Texas isn’t wearing out any panic buttons while riding a two-game losing streak heading into Saturday’s Conference USA contest at home with Middle Tennessee State.
Coach Dan McCarney said his staff encourages a sense of urgency for every game, though there’s not much question the Mean Green needs a victory Saturday to even its conference record at 1-1 and overall to 3-3.
The key to doing that, McCarney said, is a better, more consistent running game, and though not panicked, there was obvious concern this week about that phase of the game.
The running attack of Brandin Byrd, Reggie Pegram and Antoinne Jimmerson underwhelmed for a third time this season in last week’s C-USA loss to Tulane, rushing for only 34 yards.
“We were nonexistent running the ball last week,” said McCarney. “Some of that had to do with Tulane, but we have to play better.
“Our offensive line got whipped up front. Too many guys didn’t sustain blocks. We have to do a much better job this week.”
It would seem especially crucial that North Texas need to establish a balance offensively against a veteran Middle Tennessee State team that returns much of the same squad that handled the Mean Green easily a season ago, winning 38-21.
The Blue Raiders lead C-USA in sacks with 16. North Texas is among the tops in sacks allowed, only five on the season.
Not helping the Mean Green cause are injuries to tackles Antonio Johnson and LaChris Anyiam, who both underwent arthroscopic knee surgery during the team’s off week two weeks ago.
Neither practiced in pads leading up to the Tulane game, yet both played.
McCarney expected both to return to full activities this week.
“It speaks well to those young men and what they give to our program,” McCarney said.
Byrd leads his teammates statistically but averages only 37.2 yards per game for a team that averages about 112 rushing yards a game.
“There’s no secret we want to run the football,” McCarney said. “One guy doesn’t do what he’s supposed to do. They knock us in the head, stone us at the line of scrimmage … the inconsistency is something that’s disappointing.”
McCarney reminded his audience this week that, in his words, God didn’t bring him back from a stroke and open-heart surgery in the spring to “get our tails kicked.”
And, he’s not panicking yet, not with a team with a new maturity, he said.
North Texas’ schedule this season has been against teams who are a combined 17-5.
“We’ve played some pretty good football teams,” he said. “We’ve had some challenges out there. We have to keep growing. We’d love to be 1-0” in CUSA, “but there’s still so much football to be played.”
Whistling the whistles
North Texas’ staff sent a number of plays to the C-USA offices asking for interpretation on a number of calls made by officials last week against Tulane, Dan McCarney said.
The Mean Green leads the conference in penalties, uncharacteristic of McCarney-coached teams.
Iowa State was routinely the least-penalized team in the Big 12 under McCarney, and North Texas was the least penalized last season in the Sun Belt.
“I turned in more plays to C-USA than I ever have as a head coach,” McCarney said. “I think we have very good officials. … I want them to give us some sort of feedback on some of them.
“Some are no question legitimate. Those things we have to clean up. We have to do better as coaches.”
[h=4]Middle Tennessee at North Texas[/h]6 p.m. Saturday
Records: Middle Tennessee, 3-3, 1-1 in C-USA; UNT, 2-3, 0-1
Radio: KNTU/88.1 FM, KHYI/95.3 FM

This Red River Rivalry thing is upon us again with a Saturday morning kickoff at the Cotton Bowl, and the one thing missing will be the immense national neon once frequently associated with the event.The neon has been burning on dim for a while now.
In fairness to Oklahoma, it’s a program that hasn’t been what it was under Bob Stoops, but still lurks on the outer half of college football’s power grid.
Compared to Texas, that’s an energy upgrade. The plug has already been pulled on that Austin program.
With the Sooners as a two-touchdown favorite, if that spread is covered by mid-afternoon on Saturday, the immediate question becomes this:
Will the lights be turned out on Mack before supper?
Look, there’s been a ton of theories on what’s gone wrong over the last three or four years with Mack Brown’s football program, and this week, SI.com took some more shots at the long, long fall.
The word “soft” appeared frequently in the SI.com blame game, even fingering team strength coaches, which seems like such a reach not even the excuse-making AD, the soon-to-be-gone DeLoss Dodds, would have stooped that far.
But certainly “soft” applies. Starting with Mack, and going right down to the judgment on recruits, the lack of a tough mentality has been cited frequently as being at the root of UT’s tumble.
Sometimes, however, it’s just stupid stuff.
Take, for instance, what happened this week in Austin.
First, however, go back to last Thursday night in Ames, Iowa. The Longhorns struggled mightily to beat an Iowa State club that I’d venture to guess had lost the “Almighty 5-Star Recruit” count to Texas by like 35-or-40-to-none.
And the way Texas won the game was like a total gift from a Big 12 officiating crew/replay official. And I say that despite being the world’s biggest Johnathan Gray fan from his Aledo High School days, but my guy had the ball taken away from him on the goal line. No, he wasn’t down. And no, his forward progress had not been stopped.
If you watch enough Big 12 football, it leads you to wonder if some of these officiating crews are either involved in a criminal act, or simply incompetent. But that’s another story. So is how the Longhorns survived against Iowa State.
In the course of that game, however, Longhorns wide receiver Mike Davis committed about as blatant a cheap shot on an Iowa State defensive back as you will see at any football level.
After a Texas running back scored a touchdown, Davis went after the DB with a cut block at the side of the knee. The DB was not involved in the TD play, and had pulled up after the running back had crossed the goal line.
A flag did fly. And Davis was given 15 yards, although not ejected. The flag told us an official actually saw the cheap shot. But not ejecting the player says the official made a huge error in judgment.
The real issue came later, however.
The Big 12 office, gutless as usual, came out this week with a ruling that reprimanded Davis, although did not suspend him for any games. Pitiful.
But Davis would not shut up.
His initial reaction to his cheap shot on Twitter after the game was, “I play to the whistle … I was taught that.”
Mack initially backed his player, saying Davis was simply “competing” on the play. Such a weak response.
On Monday, Davis stirred it up again by telling the media, “I’d do the same thing … if the DB is loafing, he deserves to get cut.”
Finally, even Mack had to back off, saying that while Davis wasn’t a dirty player, he understood why the conference gave a reprimand. The Texas PR department also attempted to clarify Davis’ Monday statement.
But then came an Austin one-eighty on Tuesday. Somebody in Austin, I guess, had a come-to-Jesus meeting with Davis. On Tuesday afternoon, a lengthy three-paragraph retraction was issued by Davis, backing off on everything he previously said and apologizing to everyone this side of Earl Campbell.
That doesn’t, however, erase the real problem: No accountability by Mack for four days after the incident in Ames.
A real head coach, once he had seen the film on Friday, and clearly had seen the Davis incident (every website in the country has shown it) suspends that player immediately. Like last Friday.
Brown did not have to wait on the do-nothing Big 12 office to issue its pathetic wrist slap. This was a Texas player who did wrong. Totally wrong. That’s on Mack. It’s his job to discipline his player.
Mike Davis may be a nice kid, and I hope he is. The Ames cheap shot could have been simply a stupid, split-second decision.
But even the apology/retraction didn’t happen until the kid became an embarrassment to the university and to himself. First, long before Tuesday, Mack had to tell Davis to shut the bleep up, and then Mack had to make the right call on the player.
Davis should have been suspended by his coach for at least a game, and probably two.
But it’s Oklahoma on the agenda this week. Mack needs an upset win. Davis is his best receiver.
No accountability.
Soft.
Unfortunately, that’s what Texas football has become.

This Red River Rivalry thing is upon us again with a Saturday morning kickoff at the Cotton Bowl, and the one thing missing will be the immense national neon once frequently associated with the event.The neon has been burning on dim for a while now.
In fairness to Oklahoma, it’s a program that hasn’t been what it was under Bob Stoops, but still lurks on the outer half of college football’s power grid.
Compared to Texas, that’s an energy upgrade. The plug has already been pulled on that Austin program.
With the Sooners as a two-touchdown favorite, if that spread is covered by mid-afternoon on Saturday, the immediate question becomes this:
Will the lights be turned out on Mack before supper?
Look, there’s been a ton of theories on what’s gone wrong over the last three or four years with Mack Brown’s football program, and this week, SI.com took some more shots at the long, long fall.
The word “soft” appeared frequently in the SI.com blame game, even fingering team strength coaches, which seems like such a reach not even the excuse-making AD, the soon-to-be-gone DeLoss Dodds, would have stooped that far.
But certainly “soft” applies. Starting with Mack, and going right down to the judgment on recruits, the lack of a tough mentality has been cited frequently as being at the root of UT’s tumble.
Sometimes, however, it’s just stupid stuff.
Take, for instance, what happened this week in Austin.
First, however, go back to last Thursday night in Ames, Iowa. The Longhorns struggled mightily to beat an Iowa State club that I’d venture to guess had lost the “Almighty 5-Star Recruit” count to Texas by like 35-or-40-to-none.
And the way Texas won the game was like a total gift from a Big 12 officiating crew/replay official. And I say that despite being the world’s biggest Johnathan Gray fan from his Aledo High School days, but my guy had the ball taken away from him on the goal line. No, he wasn’t down. And no, his forward progress had not been stopped.
If you watch enough Big 12 football, it leads you to wonder if some of these officiating crews are either involved in a criminal act, or simply incompetent. But that’s another story. So is how the Longhorns survived against Iowa State.
In the course of that game, however, Longhorns wide receiver Mike Davis committed about as blatant a cheap shot on an Iowa State defensive back as you will see at any football level.
After a Texas running back scored a touchdown, Davis went after the DB with a cut block at the side of the knee. The DB was not involved in the TD play, and had pulled up after the running back had crossed the goal line.
A flag did fly. And Davis was given 15 yards, although not ejected. The flag told us an official actually saw the cheap shot. But not ejecting the player says the official made a huge error in judgment.
The real issue came later, however.
The Big 12 office, gutless as usual, came out this week with a ruling that reprimanded Davis, although did not suspend him for any games. Pitiful.
But Davis would not shut up.
His initial reaction to his cheap shot on Twitter after the game was, “I play to the whistle … I was taught that.”
Mack initially backed his player, saying Davis was simply “competing” on the play. Such a weak response.
On Monday, Davis stirred it up again by telling the media, “I’d do the same thing … if the DB is loafing, he deserves to get cut.”
Finally, even Mack had to back off, saying that while Davis wasn’t a dirty player, he understood why the conference gave a reprimand. The Texas PR department also attempted to clarify Davis’ Monday statement.
But then came an Austin one-eighty on Tuesday. Somebody in Austin, I guess, had a come-to-Jesus meeting with Davis. On Tuesday afternoon, a lengthy three-paragraph retraction was issued by Davis, backing off on everything he previously said and apologizing to everyone this side of Earl Campbell.
That doesn’t, however, erase the real problem: No accountability by Mack for four days after the incident in Ames.
A real head coach, once he had seen the film on Friday, and clearly had seen the Davis incident (every website in the country has shown it) suspends that player immediately. Like last Friday.
Brown did not have to wait on the do-nothing Big 12 office to issue its pathetic wrist slap. This was a Texas player who did wrong. Totally wrong. That’s on Mack. It’s his job to discipline his player.
Mike Davis may be a nice kid, and I hope he is. The Ames cheap shot could have been simply a stupid, split-second decision.
But even the apology/retraction didn’t happen until the kid became an embarrassment to the university and to himself. First, long before Tuesday, Mack had to tell Davis to shut the bleep up, and then Mack had to make the right call on the player.
Davis should have been suspended by his coach for at least a game, and probably two.
But it’s Oklahoma on the agenda this week. Mack needs an upset win. Davis is his best receiver.
No accountability.
Soft.
Unfortunately, that’s what Texas football has become.

Back