WK 1 Games

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
Wyoming-10 x2units

-see lvsc discussion thread about this game.

I do see early money jumping on NC State, no play for me yet, see if this line goes down to 10 from 11.5 right now. Also have to pay close attention to a few things in fall camp: QB, OL, possible impact of Jarriel King

more to come

VK - Hope so too, just couldn't stay away from this game after looking at it on a plane for about 2 hours.

Dwight & Yessir - ditto, hope it hits for everyone

Took a personal day off at work today, been a hectic last 4 days for me so need to just relax. Just some thoughts on the games, bolded the side I lean to or will play. Current lines as of 7/31 @ 9am.
Thursday:

UTep @ Buffalo -3: I am not laying points with Buffalo here and I am not willing to take UTEP on this cross country trip. Pass

Vandy @ MOH -1.5: I know Vandy has to replace a lot of offense (5 on OL and Bennett) but their OL should be reasonably ok here filled with mostly juniors and seniors. They won't be prolific on offense by any means. Defense has some losses as well, especially at LB but they have a talented secondary, a pressure creating defense, and good coaching. I am unwilling to take a MAC team over an SEC team, even if they are picked to finish last in their division. I will however look long and hard at the UNDER in this game when it comes out. I do not see many points coming in this game, looking for a total of about 41-42.

NC St @ SC-11.5: I will start a sep thread for this game as we get closer, line has dropped a little with some people taking NC St value bets. I have NC St scoring a max of 13 points in this game, more likely putting up 10 or below. They have 3 RB's and a good TE coming off injury and that is it. Now, SC didn't stop many RB's last year at the end of the year during their slide but its a whole different defense with B52 out there. Emotionally this game means a lot to the gamecocks, besides being at home on Thursday night where they play pretty good. There is a sense of urgency to erase the sour taste of last yr, there is excitement to start the season, and for Spurrier, 6-6 ot 7-5 won't cut it this year, they have to go 8-4 or 9-3. More on this game later but obvious lean to SC.

Wake -12.5 @ Baylor: I know Wake is a popular play here and has been covered in great lengths already here. I believe they can cover this game but I'm a bit slow to lay the points here, don't think I will and will sit on the sidelines and root for you guys.

OSU -3.5 @ Stanford: Stanford got backed right out the gate here and Oregon ST is a team I have a tough time reading. They are a solid ball club that usually flies under the radar but suffered big losses in their front 7. This game is a no bet for me because I don't know what to expect out of the Oregon front 7 and Stanford in general who should be improved but by how much.

Troy -4.5 @ MTSU: Troy has big losses on offense starting with their QB RB, and WR but has some of the best OL/DL in the conference, very solid secondary, talent, and a lot of SPEED. But in this Sunbelt league and everyone fighting for the #2 spot, again, going on the road laying points will not be my thing here with an unproven skill position set that Troy has. Superior team, Yes but too many things for me to question in the opener. I don't think Soph Gee from MTSU will have any success throwing on Troy and his running ability will be limited by an extremly quick defense.

Friday:

Temple -5 @ Army: I layed points with Temple 1 time last year and it was a 42-7 disaster vs. Buffalo. Still, Temple should be improved here in what amounts to a revenge game for the Owls who undid themselves on turnovers, penalties, and poor special teams. Army ran a kickoff back, recovered a ball in the endzone for a TD, and returned a punt for 21 of their 37 points, another TD came on a 70yard pass in the 4th. Temple held a 25-15 FD advantage, racked up 130more yards, lost the turnover battle 5-3, and had 90 yards in penalties. A sloppy game but this is Temple and things like this are to be expected. Now with every starter back on a defense that led the MAC in total defense and was #2 in scoring defense, an offensive line with 4 starters back, things have to go up. QB DiMichele is a senior but recovering from a broken leg and missed last 4 games so his health is something to pay attention to. Temple has been very young the last 2 years and now the team is a little more grown up maybe getting to 6+ wins this year. Army on the other hand, I don't have much to say here except that they should be pretty bad and inexperienced. Temple threw for 359 yards last year and Army loses everyone in the secondary and returns just 1 player from their back 7. Huge ADV to Temple. I have seen reports of Army going to the wishbone-style of offense though for this upcoming year.

SMU @ Rice -3: What is the over in this one? Two teams that like to air it out, a lot. What is going on with Willis? Is his head in this shit? I don't like this game at all and with 4 shit teams playing on Friday night, I'd like to only be involved with 2 of them and Temple is a much more likely play than anything these 2 can muster up.

Saturday:

Utah @ Mich -4: Preseason I was ready to jump on the Utah upset machine but this game has become a giant no-play for me. Just way too many things going on here, mostly on the Michigan side of things. Mentally, you know they would like to win the opener for their new coach, they won't be overlooking Utah by any means. Utah, how exactly do you prepare for the Mich offense? Watch tapes of Pat White running the read-option? Not unless Dick-Rod has a Pat White he hasn't told anyone about. Mich will have a solid defense here as well so going on the road infront of over 100k might get Utah pumped up but it can also be a little overwhelming. If I touched anything in this game, it would be an UNDER in a grinder of a game but I won't even list that as a lean for me as of right now.

Cuse @ NorthWestern -12: Pretty big lean to NW here, I was expecting to see a little higher spread. Cuse has major problems, everywhere and no playmaker on offense now that Mike Williams is gone. NW on the otherhand should be able to spread them out and pick up large chunks of yards at a steady clip. QB Bacher has now started 17 games in a row for NW, Sutton is a very talented RB and healthy after playing just 7 games last year. NW is going to the no-huddle this year which means more plays and more chances to score. NW was #2 offense in the B10 last yr but #10 in scoring, I am not expecting Cuse to slow them down much at all. Cuse in order to cover has to score over 17 points, can they do that? Cuse is a run heavy team and they will try to eat the clock but with no legit threats to throw too and 3 starters back on an OL who gave up 54 sacks last yr, NW should stack the box and get help from a DL with 4 starters back. NW true weakenss on defense is replacing half of the back 7 but Cuse does not have the talent or options to take advantage of that.

Memphis @ OM -9.5: Line is a bit too high for me right now but OM should dominate the LOS in this game with Powe now cleared to play (2005 5* DT), Hardy (1st team all SEC) along with Perria Jerry, Tillman all being very solid. They have a franchise LT, a talented new QB, and a former 5* RB to take the rock. They have talent at WR and the only really big weakness for this team would be their back 7 which will be helped tremendously by a great DL. Now with Memphis their strength is their top 5 WR's but the QB to get them the ball is a question mark and no really breakthrough RB. I don't think I get the number I want here so likely a no play but wouldn't surprise me 1 bit to see OM win by 13+ here.

Ohio @ Wyoming -10: Already Played, tons of info on this site bout game.

Back later w/ more

Recap:

Leans: Vandy Under, SC -11.5, Temple -5, NW-12
Plays: Wyoming -10

Thanks Troy.

moving on, not going to do every game but will do all that I have interest in.

Tulsa -13.5 @ UAB: One question about Tulsa, who replaces Paul Smith's 5,000+ yards and 47TD's. The lucky winner of that competition gets an OL w/ 4 starters back, a RB w/ over 1200yards last year along with his backup, and the top 6 WR back, which includes, 3 that went over 1k for the year. The no-huddle will be in its second year as well. No doubt, Todd Graham has a great offensive system going on at Tulsa and its likely they match or even surpass that 41ppg from 07 with adaquete play at QB. The options are David Johnson, a senior, with 8 pass attempts last year or Jacob Bower, a JC transfer who was at Tulsa for the spring and threw for 3,000 yards and 34 TD last yr. As of now, Johnson has the edgte. Whoever wins the competition has the best RB's-WR-and a top OL in the conference. The defense on the other hand was bad last year giving up 33ppg and they have 5 starters back on that side of the ball. In the game vs. UAB last year, a 38-30 win when they were -23 at home, Tulsa had 700 yards of offense and actually lost the time of possession battle by 6 minutes. UAB was able to rack up 400 yards of offense, eat some clock, convert some key 4th downs (3/4) and make the score a hell of a lot closer than it looks. In the 4th quarter it was 38-16 Tulsa w/ 12minutes left but Tulsa did not score again. UAB has 9 men back from last years defense which was horrible so they have experience but talent is a question. Tulsa and their powerful OL should be able to once again dominate the LOS vs. UAB and no doubt they will score points. What keeps me off this game right now is the Tulsa defense which is a 3-3-5 look and must replace all 3 LB's along w/ 2 in the secondary.

Oklahoma St -5 @ Wash St: Dare I back the Cowgirls on the road laying points? Wash St will welcome a new coach and a new no-huddle-spread offense with a new QB replacing the departed Alex Brink, the leading passer in school history. WSU does have the P10's only returning 1,000 yard WR in Brandon Gibson so the focus of the spread will be to get him the ball. The defense for WSU was poor last year, allowing 32ppg and ranked last in the P10. They gave up over 160rushing and 250 passing a game. Oklahoma St, a 5-12 road team under Gundy, has a competent dual threat QB in Robinson, a talented RB in JC transfer Beau Johnson, an up and coming WR in Dez Bryant, and an OL with 89 career starts between them and 9 of their top 10 back. This offense should be humming in week 1 which spells trouble for WSU. Its a double edge sword with new coaches in home openers, of course the team wants to win for them and they will be all kinds of pumped up but implementing a new offensive system does not happen in a spring + fall practice and there are sure to be problems with the unit, especially with a new QB at the helm. I like OSU here, the road record scares me though.

Florida Team Total: I have no interest in the spread and I've liked this angle for all of spring. This is a 6:30am game for Hawaii against a team w/ more speed than God himself. There are plenty of team on offense and I'm confident enough in the 2nd team offense to score points as well. I would be shocked if Tebow and company did not bum rush Hawaii for 35+ points before half. I would like to see anything under 50 points here, but who knows.

Last edited:
VT vs. ECU +10: Game is being played in Charlotte, ECU should have some fans, VT will have more. I like the defense of ECU which should be tops in CUSA. They have 9 guys back including 6 of their front 7. VT has concerns on an offense that is thin with playmakers at RB and WR. The OL will be pretty solid and Glennon can be adaquate but this game has the makings of a low-scoring affair much like last years 17-7 game in which case I like the 10 points and I like the UNDER. Neither team really possesses anything on offense that makes you think "gamebreaker".

SoCal -20 @ UVA: I have full confidence that the SoCal defense is going to own the UVA offense. I don't have as much confidence as of right now in the SoCal offense putting up enough points to cover this although if they touch 34+, then its in the bag..Good thing for USC, they get to practice offense against one of the best defenses in the country everyday. I will pay close attention to how the OL comes together this summer because their is tons of speed and talent at the skill positions. UVA is one of those teams I targeted early in the preseason that should be much worse than their 2007 record of 9-4. They slipped out so many close wins last season lost some huge key players that this season things just look bad. Factor in the inexperience at QB and 3 new men on the OL and their dual-headed RB tandem of Peerman-Simpson won't have much room all day. I don't subscribe to the notion that USC will be holding back in this game with OSU in WK3. IMO, when given the opportunity, Carroll will take care of business. I think its important going into a bye week you find out what works for you and what doesn't so you can fix it before your biggest game of the year so I'm not expecting a Vanilla offense. I am expecting Carroll to let Sanchez sling it around, to let McKinght get the ball in space, and to let the new OL pass protect.

Tennessee-7 @ UCLA: I think concerns about the CAL-Tenn game last year in California need to be thrown out the window. First, UCLA starting the year will be nothing like Cal was beginning 2007. Vols will be much better prepared traveling out West for the second year in a row. Vols have one of the best OL in the country, a power running game, a talented WR corps with experience, and a 4th year QB who was highly regarded coming out of HS but stuck behind a 4yr starter. There is a change with the OC as well but Dave Clawson from D1AA Richmond knows what he is doing on offense. UCLA moves to the pro-style offense with Norm Chow calling plays and I think the Tennessee defense is better fit to play against these types of teams. Olson is a walking band-aid, if he gets hit once, he might be out for the year. UCLA leading RB Kahlil Bell is coming off reconstructive knee surgery, the OL must replace 4 starters, the top 2 WR are gone. More or less, there is not a lot of experienced depth on offense for UCLA. I am just looking for some "home-dog" money to bring this line to under a TD for me here but Tennessee should take care of business here.

Recap of all Leans:

Vandy Under
SC -11.5
Temple -5
NW-12
Tulsa -13.5
Okie St -5
Florida TT OVER
ECU+10, UNDER
SoCal -20
Tennessee -7

Plays:

Wyoming-10 x 2units

Other Games of Interest:

Missouri-8
Pitt -12
TCU-5.5
MichST +6

Spectacular thread so far ... keep thoughts coming.

Florida Team Total: I have no interest in the spread and I've liked this angle for all of spring. This is a 6:30am game for Hawaii against a team w/ more speed than God himself. There are plenty of team on offense and I'm confident enough in the 2nd team offense to score points as well. I would be shocked if Tebow and company did not bum rush Hawaii for 35+ points before half. I would like to see anything under 50 points here, but who knows.

I know BAR is looking at this as well and as we all discussed in the lvsc thread , i think if you like florida to cover the spread that this is the better and safer play. Losing both safeties for the year already for florida might allow for hawaii to score. Hawaii system tests secondary depth which is why they succeed against the smaller conference schools more than the major conference schools. But florida secondary depth is a major concern. But if hawaii moves the ball , florida will be forced to answer with scores and if hawaii does not move the ball florida will have short fields to attack. We know hawaii cannot stop the florida offense. i sort of like this bet and am glad it was brought to my attention by you and BAR.

keep on trucking ETG !

Plays:

Wyoming-10 x 2units

Eliminated:

Tulsa -13.5: Maybe I look at Tulsa TT Over when it comes out, no doubt they rack up 550+ yards on UAB here and score a lot of points but really think it is dumb for me to lay DD on the road with a team who has no defense whatsoever until proven otherwise. Also no guarantee anyone is going to come close to matching Paul Smith's numbers even with the great OL-RB-WR they have so just think this play is too risky and no longer involved.

Recap of all Leans:

Vandy Under (If Vandy is going to get +3.5 than I am going to give them a look, still of course like the under, but man I have a hard time believing they lose this game)

SC -11.5
Temple -5 (will soon play)
NW-12 (will soon play)
Okie St -5
Florida TT OVER
ECU+10, UNDER
SoCal -20
Tennessee -7 (would like to debate this game with anyone who likes UCLA)
Pitt-12

Other Games of Interest:

Missouri-8
TCU-5.5

Tulsa -13.5: Maybe I look at Tulsa TT Over when it comes out, no doubt they rack up 550+ yards on UAB here and score a lot of points but really think it is dumb for me to lay DD on the road with a team who has no defense whatsoever until proven otherwise. Also no guarantee anyone is going to come close to matching Paul Smith's numbers even with the great OL-RB-WR they have so just think this play is too risky and no longer involved.

I agree and will be looking hard at uab if it goes to 14.5

Temple -5 x 2unit: Posted in VK's thread that DiMichele looks as if he is going to be 100% recovered from the broken shin, therefore, it is now a play as that was really the only thing holding me back.

Temple -5 x 2unit: Posted in VK's thread that DiMichele looks as if he is going to be 100% recovered from the broken shin, therefore, it is now a play as that was really the only thing holding me back.

love it.

have a feeling we either both do well or both go down in flames , week 1

love it.

have a feeling we either both do well or both go down in flames , week 1

yea see a lot of similar sides. i hope its the latter. I've tried to consider both the Ohio and Army sides of things and I don't see it warranting a play on them.

Spectacular thread so far ... keep thoughts coming.

I know BAR is looking at this as well and as we all discussed in the lvsc thread , i think if you like florida to cover the spread that this is the better and safer play. Losing both safeties for the year already for florida might allow for hawaii to score. Hawaii system tests secondary depth which is why they succeed against the smaller conference schools more than the major conference schools. But florida secondary depth is a major concern. But if hawaii moves the ball , florida will be forced to answer with scores and if hawaii does not move the ball florida will have short fields to attack. We know hawaii cannot stop the florida offense. i sort of like this bet and am glad it was brought to my attention by you and BAR.

keep on trucking ETG !

great call with the 6:30 am angle.

i think this is going to be a great play for us.

great call with the 6:30 am angle.

i think this is going to be a great play for us.

Read somewhere on another forum that hawaii actually arrives in the area ( Georgia i think ) as early as tuesday. So they should be more adjusted to the time change than people might think.

Certainly don't know that for a fact though and early start could still be a factor.

Looking back over the first weeks slate of games, this is the final bunch of games I will be sorting through unless something blows my mind before Aug 28th. Prob will be 5 games at the most that I play.

Vandy Under (looking for 41-42 or better)
South Carolina (waiting on the line, want to see how the OL shaked out and want to see who NC St is going to name as QB)
Florida Team Total Over (hopefully it is under 50)
Socal -20.5 (Another camp I am watching closely. No questions what the Defense will do, worried about the offense hitting atleast 31 but more than likely need 34 to feel safe)
Tennesse -6.5 (Watching this line closely, would like to keep it under 7 though)
Okie St -5.5 (I know he's a man but can I trust him on the road? That is the only thing holding me back here, their road record under Gundy is pitiful)
TCU -6 (So much on this game already on this forum, especially in Horn & VK thread but not ready to pull the trigger on it)

I am down to debate any of the sides listed above if you have some thoughts. Yes, if you include the two games I played, that is a list of 7 favorites (5 road), 1 total, and 1 team total. I better choose carefully here.

Temple -5 (already played) -- line is up to 6.5 @ the greek.
Wyoming -10 (already played)

Great thread ETG. I have to say from my end that I'm growing away from the TCU play even if it was one of my favorites this summer. Probably have more about it later, but I'm trying to let the first two weeks of fall camp roll by w/out getting to worried about plays. Bottom line..great thread.

Tennessee -6......2units

Watching what happens in the UCLA camp w/ Olson and his injury, I just want this line now since it is under a TD. I've talked about this game in a few different threads but to sum it all up.

Tennessee has great OL, Very good RB, top 3 WR's on offense all coming back. A highly rated QB in his 4th year and a new OC from D1-AA Richmond. Tenn has a very good secondary and their weakness on defense is their front 7.

UCLA has a problem at QB because Olson can not stay healthy and he already missed spring practice with the foot injury so now with a new OC, new WR's, and a new OL, they have had to practice for a significant amount of time without their QB. Sure UCLA has a talented TE and a power RB backed up by some talent at that position but I can't see their offense being in sync here and that will hurt them big time.

Neuheisel: "Ben obviously hurt himself again today and we don't know the extent of the injury. He said he felt discomfort again in the foot so we told him to go in to take an x-ray and we will here before long what the extent of that injury is. It's too bad, he was getting better and all that kind of stuff, but hopefully it's just going to be one of those things where we have to rest it again.

"It's ironic that it happens after a day we rested him, but aside from that I liked the spirit of the practice. I like the tenacity of the guys. We just have to eventually whittle it down until we find guys who know exactly what to do and that is always the case and develop a team and shore that down to what the team does well.

"I have full confidence in all the coaches to get that done. I'm excited about where we are and we will keep our fingers crossed about Ben."

Was it accumulative thing with Ben or did he just step wrong?

Neuheisel: "From the sound of it, it is the exact same thing that happened last year. Just carrying out a fake. It sounds like the exact same thing. We will just have to wait and see."

Did he seem like he was in pain at the time it happened?

Neuheisel: "He said it hurt, but he said it was not as bad as last year. The pain was not the same, but we don't know what that means. "

You should take that fake out of the playbook…

Neuheisel: "(Laughs) That's part of the deal. You have to keep the back guy from chasing it down, but obviously it's not the news you want to hear."

Do you have a clear idea of how it (the quarterback situation) if Ben can't go?

Neuheisel: "We haven't had that conversation yet and I don't want to get to far over our skis. I want to wait and see what happens and so forth, but we will find a way regardless."

Can you give a quick synopsis of the other quarterbacks and how they performed. Chris Forcier got more reps today…

Neuheisel: "You know Norm (Norm Chow) has a method to his madness. I don't usually get to involved. He must of thought Chris was doing well and wanted to let him kind of stay in there and gain some confidence and all that and Chris did have a nice little run so I was excited to see that.

"Kevin Prince has made plays. Nick Crissman has some plays. Osaar Rasshan has made some plays and Kevin Craft, obviously has made some plays.

"We just have to keep chugging along, but as the clock or the sand drifts through the hour glass , we have to make decisions and we will just have to wait to see what those decisions are when we have all the information."

Are you expecting to hear about Ben tonight?

Neuheisel: "I don't know. It may be inconclusive based on the machinery that we have here and then it may be a MRI tomorrow so I don't know."

Is Ben scheduled for a MRI tomorrow?

Neuheisel: "If they (team trainers and doctors) can't see anything on this I'm sure that's what will take place."

You have to move forward with the offense regardless of what Ben's status is does it change anything on how you move forward. Do you need to know his status before you move forward?

Neuheisel: "Oh sure, it will change the course no question it has to, but it is too early to talk about that and Norm and I and all the offensive coaches will have to sit down and develop a plan and figure out exactly what happened and what needs to be done."

Tennessee wears them down because they lack depth and pulls away in the second half for a 10-13 point win on the road.

Recap:

Temple -5..............2units (not typically a game you expect to move 3 points from the opener)
Wyoming -10.........2units
Tennessee -6.........2units

Thanks Marlo

Keeping up w/ NC State. For people liking Carolina, you have to be drooling at the mouth if Glennon is named the starter. Sure he is highly rated coming out of HS, he has a strong arm, his frame is tiny though and this is a case of a kid who really could use a RS year and learn the offense and watch the speed of the game develop. The environment is going to be especially tough as well for him.

Ready or not, Glennon stands out in the Wolfpack's QB crowd
Five players of differing styles and descriptions are battling it out for the starting quarterback job at N.C. State. It's a logjam that can mean one of only two things. If you're an optimist, the cluttered competition is a sign that the Wolfpack has amazing depth at the most important position on the football field. But if you're a glass-half-empty kind of guy, like myself and most State fans I've ever known, you know that the opposite is true. Having five quarterbacks still scrambling for one spot less than three weeks before the season's opening game isn't a positive. All it means is that no one in the program is either good enough or ready win the job and coach Tom O'Brien is so desperate for somebody to step forward, he's willing to give anybody a shot. Such a dilemma can keep a coach - especially one who knows a thing or two about talented passers - lying awake at night more uncomfortably than if he'd eaten a couple of convenience store burritos for a midnight snack. It doesn't have to be that way for O'Brien, though. If the veteran coach and all those recruiting geeks were even close in their assessments, then there's only one real choice to be under center for that first snap at South Carolina on Aug. 28. Ready or not, it's true freshman Mike Glennon. "He was the best high school quarterback in the country coming out this year for what we do," is how O'Brien described the 6-foot-6, 190-pound prodigy, whose older brother is the starter for defending ACC champion Virginia Tech. So why not throw him right out there, the way O'Brien's predecessor Chuck Amato did in 2000 with another tall, strong-armed rookie named Philip Rivers?Because, O'Brien countered, "there's a lot that goes into being a quarterback. If it was easy, everybody could do it." State fans are painfully aware of that fact. Since Rivers' graduation to the NFL, they've watched a seemingly endless procession of mediocre quarterbacks come and go in leading their team to just one winning season in the last four years. Among that group are two of the current front-runners, senior Daniel Evans and junior transfer Harrison Beck, who despite being the "proven commodities" in the equation, have only proven that neither is the answer. With 22 more career interceptions than touchdowns between then, it's no wonder the thought of either getting another shot is met with the kind of anticipation usually reserved for an IRS audit. The other alternatives are redshirt freshman Russell Wilson, a second baseman on the Wolfpack baseball team, and sophomore Justin Burke, the hero of State's Red/White spring scrimmage. While both appear to be intriguing options, each also has a downside. For Wilson, it's his size. At 5-11, he figures to be an ill fit for coach who prefers tall, drop-back passers in the mold of last year's Heisman Trophy runner-up Matt Ryan at Boston College and Virginia's Matt Blundin - who go 6-5 and 6-7, respectively. Burke, on the other hand, would be nothing more than a caretaker keeping the driver's seat warm until Glennon is deemed ready to take the wheel. That is, unless like North Carolina's T.J. Yates last season, he only confuses matters by playing just well enough to keep the job - without his personal success translating into wins. Anybody heard the name Mike Paulus mentioned lately? If the Wolfpack isn't going anywhere anyway, as its last-place predication in the ACC's Atlantic Division suggests, than why use the season to get Glennon some experience? That way, he'll be more prepared to lead next year should the team around him improve enough to be a bowl contender. And if he's as good as everyone says he is, maybe he can help that improvement start to show right away. From the sound of things, O'Brien isn't shy about throwing his top recruit right to the dogs, or in this case, the Gamecocks, regardless of how many other quarterback options he might have."He's going to have to learn to play in that environment," O'Brien said of Glennon. "He might as well go start right away and get into that atmosphere."
Whether he's ready or not.

really like your thoughts on the Vandy-Miami (OH) game. I hadn't really thought about the total for that one but now that you mention it it seems like a surefire under. If the number is right, it should be a terrific play.

any idea when the numbers come out?

ETG -

Really liking your card. Similar to you, I really like and have locked in the following plays:

Pitt -12.5 (2 units)
Mizzou -7..bought 1 point for comfort (2 units)
Tennessee -6.5 (2 units)
SC -11.5 (1 unit)

I know, I know; lots of chalk, but it is week 1 and you can typically get away with that at that point in the season.

Thanks for sharing the information. Anything else you can provide on the SC - NC State game, including how SC is looking in practice? I am looking at increasing my units there and have not really read much to convince me otherwise.

ETG -

Really liking your card. Similar to you, I really like and have locked in the following plays:

Pitt -12.5 (2 units)
Mizzou -7..bought 1 point for comfort (2 units)
Tennessee -6.5 (2 units)
SC -11.5 (1 unit)

I know, I know; lots of chalk, but it is week 1 and you can typically get away with that at that point in the season.

Thanks for sharing the information. Anything else you can provide on the SC - NC State game, including how SC is looking in practice? I am looking at increasing my units there and have not really read much to convince me otherwise.

I would hold off a little bit with the SC game right now. Few things to wait for. Who is State's QB going to be. Its a 5 man race, I honestly don't see Glennon starting, so its down to the other 4.

With SC they have some nix and bruises going on right now and I'm going to hold off with anything there until around 2 weeks into practice when its gets more serious with the 1st teamers taking the majority of the snaps. They scrimmaged Saturday and the Qbs combined for 300-6-1, not sure how you take that in, it was closed practice so no one knows if the defense blitzed. Was it first team O vs. Second team D. The D has some guys out right now with little injuries but the OL has been looking pretty decent from all reports. On the other hand, the offense rushed 26 times for 48 yards or something like that so the offense didn't move the ball on the ground. Mike Davis didn't practice, he is out till next week

I cant really argue with any of games you got, not sure about Pitt have been hearing that the offense has been behind so going to hold off there.

Jacey Zembal
TheWolfpacker.com Editor

Talk about it in The Wolves' Den

Five quarterbacks became just three during Sunday's second of four scrimmages for North Carolina State at Carter-Finley Stadium.

Redshirt senior Daniel Evans, redshirt freshman Russell Wilson and freshman Mike Glennon took all the quarterback snaps for the Wolfpack. Evans was statistically the best of the three, completing 6 of 8 for 89 yards and a touchdown, but whom he played against or with was not divulged by NC State coach Tom O'Brien. The 100-play scrimmage was closed to the public and media.

Glennon got the chance to air it out, going 13 of 25 for 118 yards, but three interceptions and one touchdown. Wilson went 5 of 14 for 60 yards and one interception.

Quarterbacks Harrison Beck and Justin Burke, who both didn't play, were the odd men out for the scrimmage, but O'Brien left the door slightly open that all five quarterbacks still have a chance to be the starter for the season opener Aug. 28 at South Carolina.

"We wanted to get the younger kids a lot of work," O'Brien said. "The only way to get them work when you have five guys, is to get them in their and as much as we could. I went with the decision to go with the two young guys, and Daniel today.

"They [Beck and Burke] were out of the race today, but we'll see tomorrow. We are still in the evaluation stage. We'll look at this tape and then see where we have to go with the quarterbacks."

Sophomore running back Curtis Underwood rushed for a game-high 101 yards on 16 carries and a touchdown, while redshirt junior Jamelle Eugene added 79 yards on 15 carries, plus three reception for 34 yards.

"I think he [Underwood] is getting better, but the same thing, he's a young kid that we have to find out about," said O'Brien on Underwood, who missed the spring game because of an ankle injury. It just kind of made sense to get him in there today, and see what he can do.

"He had a nice day, but put the ball on the ground one time. He's one of the fumbler guys, so all those 'At a boys' were taken away with that one fumble."

Redshirt junior running back Toney Baker will be held out of all the preseason scrimmages, while senior back Andre Brown was held out for just Sunday's scrimmage.

"We just held him [Brown] out with everybody else, with all of the cast of thousands that didn't play," O'Brien said.

Walk-on sophomore tight end Chaz McQueen caught two passes for 57 yards and a touchdown, and redshirt senior tight end Anthony Hill added a touchdown on two catches for seven yards.

The defense proved to be ahead of the offense, forcing four interceptions and some fumbles. Senior defensive tackle Antoine Holmes lived in the backfield, recording three tackles for loss and a sack.

"The defense had a much better go of it today," O'Brien said. "Many more forced turnovers. I really was pleased with what we got out of the defensive effort today. Last week, they missed too many tackles. We didn't have as many missed tackles and that makes a big difference."

Redshirt sophomore outside linebacker Nate Irving added seven tackles, while redshirt senior outside linebacker Robbie Leonard and redshirt senior cornerback Jeremy Gray each had six tackles, one tackle for loss and an interception. Cornerback Koyal George also added an interception.

"The yardage these guys got [Eugene, Underwood], both of them had a long run," O'Brien said. "You take the long out of the game, they churned away, churned away, churned away, which is how we have to be. We put pressure on the quarterback all day long."

NC State is off Monday with summer school exams, and will hold its next scrimmage Friday.

<CENTER>Second scrimmage statistics</CENTER>

Passing
Mike Glennon - 13-25-118, 3 interceptions, one touchdown
Russell Wilson - 5-14-60, one interception
Daniel Evans - 6-8-89, one touchdown

Justin Burke and Harrison Beck did not play in a coach's decision

Rushing
Jamelle Eugene - 15-79, (added three catches for 34 yards)
Curtis Underwood - 16-101, one touchdown, a fumble
Brandon Barnes - 8-27

Andre Brown was held out and Toney Baker will not do any scrimmages this preseason.

Receiving
Owen Spencer - 4-24
Chaz McQueen - 2-57, touchdown
Anthony Hill - 2-7, touchdown

Kicking
Bradley Pierson - 1 for 2
Czajkowski's team didn't attempt a field goal

Defense
Nate Irving - 7 tackles, 1 TFL
Jeremy Gray - 6 tackles, TFL, INT
Robbie Leonard - 6 tackles, TFL, INT
Dwayne Maddox - 5 tackles, 1 TFL
Ray Michel - 5 tackles
Antoine Holmes - 3 tackles, 3 TFL, sack
Willie Young - 3 tackles, TFL, sack
Koyal George - interception

i'd be very surprised if Evans wasn't under center for game 1.

ETG, is SC going to be able to generate enough offense with Beecher back there to cover this number? Couple years back they were laying about 19 to UCF opening week and didn't come close to covering due to their lackluster offense. NCS traditionally a tough road dog and in O'briens 2nd year, i would expect less mistakes which are a hallmark of his teams. Just not sure the 'Cocks have enough 'O' to cover here w/o the help of TO's.

I would hope you think UT wins by no less than 13 really...I usually can't bet something if I don't think my team can cover by a TD or more.

i'd be very surprised if Evans wasn't under center for game 1.

ETG, is SC going to be able to generate enough offense with Beecher back there to cover this number? Couple years back they were laying about 19 to UCF opening week and didn't come close to covering due to their lackluster offense. NCS traditionally a tough road dog and in O'briens 2nd year, i would expect less mistakes which are a hallmark of his teams. Just not sure the 'Cocks have enough 'O' to cover here w/o the help of TO's.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't Evans under center as well.

With Beecher, from everything reported so far, he's looked good at doing what Spurrier wants his QB to do. He is a very smart kid (3.8gpa) and he is in his 4th year learning Spurrier's offense so he knows what to do in terms of the plays and checking off into another play. Heading into the spring, the Carolina coaches were looking for the quarterback who can best manage the offense, and Tommy Beecher proved to be the best candidate. Spurrier doesn't expect Beecher to carry the team and win games single-handedly. What he wants is for him to consistently make good decisions, deliver the ball accurately and on time and not make unforced errors. Thus far in fall practice, Beecher is fitting the mold very well and is clearly the #1 QB in camp, its not even close.

Beecher has enough weapons on offense to move the team along the field. The OL is having a good start to the season as well and that goes hand in hand with how much success your QB can have. McKinnley has been uncoverable in practice and we don't have DB's that suck.

The thing that worries me right now is RB because after Mike Davis, you don't really know what you are getting. He is quicker/faster than he has been in his 4 years in SC and he's had a lot of significant snaps in his first 3 years but behind him there are a lot of question marks.

I think with improved offensive line play, smart QB play, good defense and special teams, SC can score 27+ on NCST. For State in this game, the strongest part of their defense is their DL so the OL has to keep a guy like Willie Young out of the backfield and they will be able to move the ball. Their LB's are raw and are not that big, secondary has a few new faces as well.

Thanks for all the info ETG; I've heard Brian Maddox has been performing well and should push Davis for some carries. The 'Cocks remain on my short list for additional plays, but I see no reason to rush right now.

Good luck this year, 'bro.

Thanks for all the info ETG; I've heard Brian Maddox has been performing well and should push Davis for some carries. The 'Cocks remain on my short list for additional plays, but I see no reason to rush right now.

Good luck this year, 'bro.

I agree, no reason to rush right now. I am holding out until I know who the NCST starter is, who the final 5 on the SC OL materialize to be, and I want to see if this line is going to drop anymore.

Brian Maddox came in and didn't want to RS last yr so I believe he had maybe 4 carries all year, the rest of his time was on special teams. I'd hate to say this so early in a kid career, but so far, he hasn't lived up to his HS ranking and I know that not fair to a kid who is 1)only a sophomore and 2)hasn't had a chance to get more than 10 carries yet. Maddox is the clear cut #2 right now, thats without a doubt, but Davis is the clear cut #1 and if we rushed 25 times in Game 1, I would say Davis gets 18 and Maddox gets 7 unless he is just not a practice player and shines when the lights come on. Neither of these 2 backs have that true break away speed though which isn't bad if they can pound it between the tackles.

Thanks Grind

Locking this in now while it is under -7, not very happy that I don't have -6 but it is what it is. Writeup to come later.

Oky St -6.5.........2units

Just FYI, All bets are between 1-3 units this year, I've gone with all 2unit plays because I've had a long time to think these plays over.

August 18, 2008

Crompton, Vols offense on Target in Scrimmage

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Crompton, Vols offense on target in scrimmage[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Crompton, Vols offense on target in scrimmage "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Crompton, Vols offense on target in scrimmage"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cdcdcb 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #cdcdcb 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #cdcdcb 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #cdcdcb 1px solid" height=80 cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width=165 background=http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/creative/bhale/prio/scanbg.jpg border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=70 background=http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/879/675776.jpg height=70>

</TD><TD>John Brice
VolQuest.com
Senior Writer

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<SCRIPT>function changeforumcol1(obj){if(obj != null){var s = 'http://Tennessee.rivals.com/forum.asp?fid=' + obj.options[obj.selectedIndex].value.toString();document.location = s;} }</SCRIPT>
It was one touchdown pass in the second scrimmage of fall camp, but coaches and teammates alike gushed about the laser Jonathan Crompton drilled to Gerald Jones on Saturday night in Tennessee's exhibition inside Neyland Stadium.

Having guided the first-team offense swiftly down the field with a blend of handoffs and strong passes, Crompton closed out the possession with an 8-yard rope to the sophomore Jones.

"He got into a little bit of a rhythm," said first-year offensive coordinator Dave Clawson. "I thought he had some good throwaways, and that one touchdown pass, he really knifed it in there well."

Leading all receivers with six catches for 82 yards, Jones worked himself free on the left side of the field and then lunged between defenders into the end zone after he gathered Crompton's bullet.

<!--Start Crompton scrimmage night Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/879/675056.jpg', '675056.jpg', 0, 270, 250, 1, 'Jonathan Crompton threw for 101 yards and a touchdown.', '', 1218957488000, 'Crompton scrimmage night', 879, 'Align=right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=252>
675056.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Jonathan Crompton threw for 101 yards and a touchdown.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Crompton scrimmage night Image-->"He just made a great throw," said Jones, who also got some work at quarterback in the Vols' G-Gun package. "Eric Berry was right on my left side. And someone was on my right because I felt them. Jon threw a low ball to where Eric couldn't get a piece of it. And I caught it and got in. He just threw a great ball."

A week after completing 12 of 16 passes for 114 yards and one interception, Crompton polished off a week of minimized mistakes and scarce turnovers with a 12-for-18, 101-yard and one-touchdown effort as UT continued preparations for its Sept. 1 opener at UCLA.

"When you get in a groove, you seem to be clicking, and I thought we were clicking all night," said Crompton, who also engineered another drive that resulted in a mid-range field goal from Daniel Lincoln.

Tennessee's first-team offense under Crompton's guidance appeared particularly effective at times, and also capitalized on a poor tackling effort from the defense. But Vols wideouts consistently found open space, and tailbacks benefited from a strong push from the offensive line. Crompton indicated much of that success was attributed to the play-calling of Clawson.

"That's our offense. That's how we're going to be," said the 6-foot-4, 220-pound junior. "We're going to be multiple and do whatever we want to do. That's how we're going to do it this year."

Clawson, who had his offense prepare a whopping 150 plays for the scrimmage, said the group continues to perform at a more efficient rate with increased comfort and repetitions. The former Richmond coach also credited Crompton's ease in operating the system.

"Every time (Crompton) plays, he plays faster," Clawson said. "That's part of him being the starter for the first time, and it's a new offense. Every time we practice a play, every time we get a rep in, we get better at it. I thought he came out (Saturday) and looked sharp."

Further, Clawson lauded Crompton's clock and huddle management. After an early timeout that preempted a delay of game penalty when the offense was pinned against its goal line, the first-team offense consistently got the ball snapped without much need to rush. It also appeared that the forced timeout was a slow relay of the play from the sideline.

"I thought our speed in the huddle was pretty good," Clawson said. "We were in and out. We didn't have any clock issues. We were shifting, motioning and getting the ball snapped with plenty of time.

"And then I think that's really where you can tell a difference with the "ones" and the "twos." With the twos, it's more of a delayed huddle. We're down to one or two seconds when we snap it every time. Our challenge now is to be able to manage the clock like that for 60, 70, 80 plays. We did it (Saturday) for 30, and we've got to be able to do it in two weeks for 60."

Choosing favorites

With a Thursday afternoon scrimmage the last major game simulation, Clawson said the Vols will begin to pare down the playbook.

"I think it's important now that we start shrinking the offense a little bit and narrowing down what we're going to do for UCLA," Clawson, a former I-AA National Coach of the Year, said. "We've put a lot in, done a lot of different things out of a lot of different formations, and I think the thing I look forward to now is that now you start prepping for a game and start getting a confined offense ready that the guys can really sink their teeth into."

With the entire offense installed, Crompton said the key now is identifying strengths and attempting to perfect those looks.

"We're to the point now where we've got the whole offense in, and we talk about what we feel more comfortable with and what we don't feel as comfortable with," Crompton said. "We can focus on the ones we feel more comfortable running so that we can get completely better with them.

"We're trying to rep as few a plays as we can that we know we're going to be really, really good at and go into UCLA with those."

Poole upstream?

Freshman running back Tauren Poole continued his eye-opening fall camp with a night more impressive than his 38-yard effort might indicate. Poole had a 20-yard run that featured several broken tackles, ran well behind the first-team offensive line and generally did nothing but warrant further consideration in the offensive plan.

"Tauren's just, he's just one of those guys that gets it," Clawson said. "He understands it. He's got a real maturity to him. He's a "yes sir, no sir" type of guy. He's a very serious football player. He has learned the offense quickly, and he's got maturity beyond a true freshman.

"Certainly the benefit of coming in in January helped him, but he's just a serious football player that has a sense of purpose to him that is fun to coach."

And while pass protection can sometimes hinder a rookie's development, Clawson said that isn't the case with the Toccoa, Ga., native.

"Tauren's been pretty good in pass pro all along," Clawson said. "He can sink his hips, and he can punch (block) people."

Will get to this game later 2night.

August 16, 2008

IMPROVEMENT EVIDENT IN SCRIMMAGE
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Improvement evident in scrimmage[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Improvement evident in scrimmage "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Improvement evident in scrimmage"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Jeff Johnson
OStateIllustrated.com Publisher
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Corral

The second major scrimmage of fall camp for Oklahoma State is in the books. Unlike one week ago, the scrimmage was closed to the public, but head coach Mike Gundy says he noticed improvement over the Cowboys' effort last Saturday.

"We had a good practice today; we had a good scrimmage," said head coach Mike Gundy. "It was 120 or so (plays). It went well. We had a lot of excitement from both sides. I think the guys are in good condition, as I said earlier. We're still two weeks out and we're going to need every practice in order to get ready to play, but we're much better now than we were a week ago."

Seven days ago, Gundy was pleased overall with the scrimmage. One area where he wanted to see improvement was in tempo, from both the offensive and defensive units. In the second scrimmage, the fourth-year head coach said there was noticeable improvement there.

"It was better today," Gundy said. "That's one of the areas I was talking about (of improvement). We understood where we were and how to play. And I think that's just part of getting back into the routine, but I thought both sides were prepared

"I think Washington State is going to try to play extremely fast, so the tempo is very important to us and I thought it was much better."

With the changes in clock management – a 40-second clock, which begins as soon as the ball is spotted – it's a given that offenses will have a different tempo or pace in 2008. Though not as obvious, the change has big implications for defenses as well. Junior linebacker Andre Sexton said that has been a focus for the guys on his side of the ball, as much as it has been for the offense.

"It definitely does (affect the defense)," Sexton said. "As soon as the ball is spotted, the offense gets back, they hurry to the line of scrimmage and look over (to the sidelines) real quick and get the play. They can go right then.

"You've got to be in condition and you've got to shorten the (defensive) calls, get them quicker and get lined up. There's not much time for indecision out there."

The most noticeable aspect to last weekend's open scrimmage was some big-time hits from defensive players like Donald Booker, Jeray Chatham and Lucien Antoine. According to Gundy, that carried over to this weekend. Seeking contact seems to have spread to the offense, too.

"We had some good hits today," Gundy said. "I was very pleased with some of the defensive players and hitting. We had some nice hits by the offensive guys down the field blocking, which was encouraging."

Having players who live for contact is music to defensive coordinator Tim Beckman's ears.

"It comes down to the kids running to the football and getting a lot of people around the ball," Beckman said of his defense's new attitude. "That creates those big hits, a lot of times. You see the effort in the scrimmage, and the hits are coming from the effort."

The Pokes will practice again on Sunday evening and then catch their second full day off since fall camp began on July 31st. Classes begin for OSU's fall semester on Monday and Gundy feels it's best to just give his team that day off to adjust to their new schedule.

August 18, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Film review shows progress[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Film review shows progress "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Film review shows progress"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT>
FILM REVIEW SHOWS PROGRESS

Jeff Johnson
OStateIllustrated.com Publisher
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Corral

In Sunday night's practice session, Oklahoma State kept things light after a major scrimmage on Saturday and ahead of the first day of class at OSU today.

<!--Start Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/BEAUJOHNSON11_9200.JPG', '', 0, 267, 200, 1, 'Johnson has progressed rapidly since transferring from Butler (KS) Community College.', 'Rivals.com', 1219073087000, '', 1014, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
BEAUJOHNSON11_9200.JPG
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Johnson has progressed rapidly since transferring from Butler (KS) Community College.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Image-->According to head coach Mike Gundy, the session was largely about making corrections the coaching staff noted in film review of the scrimmage.

"Today was just a light practice, with no pads," Gundy said. "We just went through the motions, made corrections from (Saturday's) scrimmage. (It was) pretty laid back."

Overall, Gundy appeared pleased with what he saw on tape of the scrimmage, particularly from the offense and first-string defense.

Popular opinion held that Gundy would probably make a call on the hotly-contested backup quarterback race between Alex Cate and Brandon Weeden. The fourth-year head coach is prepared to let the competition play out for up to another week.

"We'll probably let it run another week," Gundy said. "They have both gotten better, but nobody has established themself as the number two guy. We'll have to let it run a little bit (longer).

"I'm not ready to say that I'm comfortable with either one of them yet, but I'm not ready to say that I may not be comfortable with either one of them yet."

While that race has gotten the lion's share of coverage, there are still a few spots in the two-deep that are up-for-grabs, according to Gundy. With two weeks remaining before the opener in Seattle, Gundy sees three position groups where the starters are not completely settled.

"Wick may have a couple of guys on the offensive line (still competing for jobs)," Gundy said. "Andrew Mitchell has really helped us out, giving us another tackle. (Donald) Booker may be vying for a starting spot at the linebacker position. Other than that, it's pretty solid. Perrish Cox and TA (Terrance Anderson) and Mo Gray, they work a lot at the corner spot and Mo Gray and Terrance may be working for a spot. Perrish has had a good preseason camp. He's playing better than he did last year."

Joe Wickline, as is his custom, has used numerous alignments of starters in fall camp, but appears to be settling on a core group. One week ago, his starting five consisted of Russell Okung, Andrew Lewis, David Washington, Steve Denning and Mitchell. The one spot that appears to be very much in play is right tackle, where Mitchell and returning starter Brady Bond have continued to go back and forth.

"Right now, we have probably eight guys that we feel good about at any given time in a game," Wickline said. "There has been five guys that have surfaced - it always happens that way - that give you the best chance. The chemistry is pretty good, the communication is pretty good, the rhythm of getting the plays in the ID points and the calls. There's five guys that we've kind of settled in on. We've still got this week and next week, but yeah, we've got five guys that are rolling right now."

At running back, OSU will rotate players regularly. Returnee Kendall Hunter will likely get the "starter" designation, but Gundy had some high praise for junior college transfer Beau Johnson on Sunday night.

"Beau Johnson still amazes me a little bit with how far he's come from being a junior college player and understanding what we do with this offense," Gundy said. "He continues to get better and better."

The Cowboys will catch a day off on Monday while they adjust to school being in session. They'll fire up practice again on Tuesday afternoon, and start the beginning stages of game-plan installation for Washington State.

I take it you really feel confident about Ok St. taking care of business?

Well it works 2 ways. I feel really confident that the Oklahoma St offense is going to be clicking and the WSU defense is not going to stop them, that means that WSU has to be clicking on offense which I'm am saying they will not be.

They have a new coach with a new offensive philosophy and a new QB replacing a four year starter. They are replacing 4 of top 5 WR and they just lost their speedster to a hernia. They are going to be running a very fast paced no-huddle offense, to me that seems pretty hard to get running smooth in first game when you have to score at least 27+ points. The top RB (Tardy) is coming back from a knee injury and the 2nd RB (Ivory) is currently battling injury, this from WSU blog:

Anyway, we're in the "dog days" of fall camp. They've been going at it, hard, for a couple of weeks, and it's only natural to be a little less juiced about practicing in 90+ degrees. But as the injuries start to mount, it's hard not to pout a little bit. First the wide-outs had some well-publicized setbacks, which stinks. But then RB Chris Ivory came up lame with a sore hammy, and now, Dwight Tardy's troublesome knee developed a bruise that will likely keep him off the field for today's scrimmage. Wonderful.

Okie ST was no defensive juggarnut and they are a bad road team in the past under Gundy but this game is also in Seattle so its not a true WSU home game but regardless, it is a Okie St road game. They don't have to be great great on defense, they just need a few stops in this one. I just can not see WSU stopping this balanced attack that scored on avg 34ppg last year while WSU let up 32ppg.

The hardest thing for me in this game was backing Gundy on the road laying points BUT I believe this guy has to be feeling some heat, T. Boone Pickens didn't invest 300million for 6-6 seasons so Gundy better win the games he should win and make this an 8-9 win season.

In the end think it will be like 34-17

Last edited:
The hardest thing for me in this game was backing Gundy on the road laying points

I have seen this comment made all over the place by a lot of people .... in fact , I found myself saying it as well. But then i looked at the historical aspects and okie state is a great road favorite of late , it is as a road dog that they struggle. 7-3 ATS over the last few years as a road favorite.

Something about this game is making warning signals go off in my head and i havent put my finger on it.

The hardest thing for me in this game was backing Gundy on the road laying points

I have seen this comment made all over the place by a lot of people .... in fact , I found myself saying it as well. But then i looked at the historical aspects and okie state is a great road favorite of late , it is as a road dog that they struggle. 7-3 ATS over the last few years as a road favorite.

Something about this game is making warning signals go off in my head and i havent put my finger on it.

I didn't look at them as road favs/road dogs, I looked at them overall under Gundy on the road because I think all that is relevant to this game is how they perform under Gundy on the road.

Under Gundy they are 5-12 overall on the road and 6-10-1 ATS. That right there made me spin my head a few times and question this pick multiple times. Looking back at the games, I concentrated on the last 2 years and gave him a pass in Yr1. They were road favs vs. Troy, Baylor, Arky St, and KST. They finished 2-2 ATS as road favs. They were road dogs vs. UGA, TAMU, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Houston, Kansas, Texas, and Texas Tech. They finished 3-4-1 ATS.

07 Road Record: 2-4

14-35 UGA
23-41 Troy
23-24 TAMU
45-14 Nebraska
45-14 Baylor
17-49 Oklahoma

06 Road Record: 2-4

35-7 Arky St
25-34 Houston
27-31 KSt
42-32 Kansas
10-36 Texas
24-30 Texas Tech

05 Road Record: 1-4

23-3 Flor Atl
23-62 TAMU
10-37 Iowa St
34-44 Baylor
14-42 Oklahoma

Why was I able to look past these figures? I think when I went back and looked at 2007, they were outclassed in the UGA/Oklahoma games, thats a fact. The Troy game was a combination of many things that just didn't go right for them including an hour rain delay and fumbling the first possession. I don't think WST outclasses them in any phase of the game and I don't believe WST has enough offense to keep up here. So in the end, I basically think their road record is not as bad as 5-12 originally sounds

DMoney - I've only seen Robinson play twice and I was pretty impressed with his ability as a duel threat QB. Hope he looks good in WK1

Last edited:
Looks like Evans. Glennon is taking a RS and Burke is transferring to L-ville.

Line is at 12 and 13 right now and I want to lock it in before it gets to 13 everywhere. Thoughts?

Looks like Evans. Glennon is taking a RS and Burke is transferring to L-ville.

Line is at 12 and 13 right now and I want to lock it in before it gets to 13 everywhere. Thoughts?

Wilson is the x-factor, he is the one still in the race w/ Evans. Wilson is 5'11 190 and very mobile w/ pretty strong arm, just a R-Fr though.

W/ SC, if the OL can handle Willie Young off the edge, specifically LT, then the offense will move. The defense should be stopping NCST's run because thats their strength. I believe Jasper starts. I would like to see about Darien Stewart this week. He is the "Spur" or Rover in the 4-2-5 that we will be running.

I saw the greek go from 11.5 to 12 today, i am going to play it because i think our defense can hold them to 13 points or less. i hope it doesn't move to 13 by tomorrow

excellent thread/read, ETG. :shake:
you're a fountain of information, and it's greatly appreciated.

very glad to see u on south carolina and tennessee this week. & don't forget to jump on the trojans, before that line gets to 20.

BOL this week, and all season long, brotha. :cheers:

Thanks Yanks appreciate it.

Updated Card:

Temple -5..............2units
Wyoming -10.........2units
Tennessee -6.........2units
Oky St -6.5............2units
SoCar -12..............2units

Don't think I am going to play any totals this week, I just don't feel comfortable when I cap them, something I will have to build confidence in doing.

Some quick SC thoughts before the season. They "should" win the following 7 games:

NCST, @Vandy, @Ole Miss, @UK, UAB, Wofford, Arkansas

That leaves games versus the following teams:

UGA - Always play them tough and behind Clemson, this is the 2nd biggest game of the season for the Gamecocks, the same can not be said for UGA.

LSU - They catch LSU in a good spot because LSU plays @ UF, @ SC, home vs. UGA. I do believe LSU is a different road team than home team so maybe this spot sets up nice for them, have to see

Tenn - Last years game was a real stinger, outgained Tenn by over 150yds, had 15 more first downs, and SC watched their chance for a win go down the tubes in the final minutes of that game. SC has a bye before this game.

@ UF - This game is in the swamp and I don't see much of a chance of winning it but I've been wrong plenty of times before

@ Clem - Bitter rivalry, have a bye week before this game, SC has had the lead in the 4th quarter all 3 years Spurrier has been at SC and they are 1-2

If SC won the games they "should" win, they need to pick up a win in 2 of these games, finish 9-3 and that would be a very good year for them. If they pick up 1 win, it would be a decent 8-4 year. If they go 0-5 in these games, some heads in Columbia are going to turn. 7-5 would be an unacceptable year if the team remained healthy and didn't break down like last year. I would look for them to finish 8-4 to 9-3.

Back to WK1 football. Slight chance I add another unit to Ok St, really like them to take care of business here like 38-24

Other Leans:

USC-19.5
Fresno/RU Over
NW -11

Last edited:
Back