WK 1 Games

NCST ground attack just got worse

SC -13.5.......1unit

=========Total of 3 units on SC========

Thanks VK, I will be stopping by your library of information later to wish you luck.

This is pretty much final card unless I can find a strrrong reason to bet one of my leans.

Temple -5..............2units
Wyoming -10.........2units

Tennessee -6.........2units
Oky St -6.5............2units
SoCar -12..............2units
SoCar-13.5............1unit

Good hit on the Cocks...despite Beecher, the key to covering was still NCST's inability to score...which you pegged correctly..

GL the rest of the card.

2-0 to start the year. You playing Northwestern 2morrow?

Thoughts on Miss/Memphis total...I played the under of 55. Good/bad/ugly?

2-0 to start the year. You playing Northwestern 2morrow?

Thoughts on Miss/Memphis total...I played the under of 55. Good/bad/ugly?

wuts up u big wet vagina

thanks, fuken hope the rest of the week goes well.

not real sure about memphis total. Ole Miss had a DL I was real high on prior to the injuries, they could of dominated Memphis OL w/ full health and in that case they would limit Memphis scoring. I think Ole Miss can score 30+ though on a shit Memphis Defense and that would concern me a little with an under. Sneed is good, OL is real solid, talent at RB & WR. They should win the trenches by a good margin and I kind of like the spread as the line drops.

Beginning of the year I usually try to mess around with some of these.

Money Line Parlay:

NW, Ole Miss, TCU, BC, OKST, Mizz

2units to Win 4.92units

Nice card. 2-0 start, and I'm with you on Wyoming, Okla St, and Tenn, although I'm going more with first-half plays on OSU and UT.

And congrats to your Cocks, a nice start for them as well.

Do you think the second-half fade is going to be a trend for the Wolfpack? Your USC/NCSU thread had an article in which O'Brien said a lack of depth led to the collapse against Wake and Maryland to end last year, and they sure didn't make it a full 60 minutes on Thursday.​

Do you think the second-half fade is going to be a trend for the Wolfpack? Your USC/NCSU thread had an article in which O'Brien said a lack of depth led to the collapse against Wake and Maryland to end last year, and they sure didn't make it a full 60 minutes on Thursday.​

Well any team that lacks depth is certainly going to struggle late in the game. Their depth chart is littered with young and inexperienced players on the 2-deep and it was pretty obvious which team was fresh in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I believe NCST has a very long season ahead of them because the offense lacks any kind of passing threat so teams are just going to key the run all day. I could def. see them falling off in the 2nd halves of games so thanks for bringing that up

Possible 1-unit play on Colo-11 today.

I know right off the bat, this game is usually very close. According to Steele, The last 6 games have been decided by combined 25 points and none by more than a TD.

Game is in Denver

CSU strength and what they will rely on heavily in this game with a new QB is the running game. CSU has top 3 backs from 07 and to me it appears like it is a team who will be 1-dimensional early in the year. New QB + New WR = Not so good passing game. Goal would be to eat clock, limit Colorado possessions and try to keep game close.

Colorado has to know that CSU wants to run the ball and the strength of their defense is their rush D so the matchup works in the Buff's favor. On offense CU will use their no-huddle up-tempo offense and I think Hawkins has a pretty good grasp of the offense as well as having some talent.

While CSU is likely to run and run often (they ran 56 times last yr), on the year they averaged just 2.8ypc. ALL-WORLD recruit Darrell Scott is not starting, I am sure he will get his share of carries. A major key in this game, CU has to contain the only legit passing threat that CSU has, TE Kory Sperry, he had 3 TD's and 8 catches in the game last yr that ended in OT w/ a CU win.

So in the end I think there are enough mismatches in this game that warrant a look at CU for me.

CSU run gets shut down, they then have to pass with inexperienced QB and WR corps.

CU will have success on a green secondary and they will sport a no-huddle fast paced offense so I am expecting points from them. Therefore, CSU will be in a situation that they can no longer run the clock out and will have to throw which will be a disaster for them

I am liking the Buffs by 17ish

Last edited:
some shit-talking pulled from a newspaper article:

So CSU senior tailback Gartrell Johnson took it upon himself at a Friday pep rally to make sure there is no mystery in how the Rams see the contest.
"We just want to get your guys' support and just come out and get drunk, talk (trash) at CU fans and watch us kick their (butt). Go Rams," Johnson reportedly said in addressing his fellow CSU students.
With a 5:30 p.m. kickoff, it's likely fans on both sides will be sufficiently lubricated once game time finally arrives. Police and school officials are encouraging fans to be on their best behavior.
CU seems to have retaken control of the series of late, winning four of the past five, with each of those games being decided by seven points or fewer.
The Rams' only victory in that span came in 2006 when the Buffs and coach Dan Hawkins were competing with one hand tied behind their backs -- with no experience at quarterback in Hawkins' first year.
The Rams find themselves in an identical situation this year under first-year head coach Steve Fairchild, a former CSU quarterback himself.
Fairchild brings an experienced offensive line, a future pro at tight end in Kory Sperry and two strong run-ning backs in Johnson and Kyle Bell to town. Bell carried the ball 40 times for 135 yards in a 31-28 overtime loss to the Buffs last season.
Yet, senior quarterback Billy Farris will be making the first start of his career and is a virtual unknown in the college football world. Farris has thrown 39 passes in his four previous years on the roster.
"I'm really looking forward to just playing ball," Farris said. "It's as simple as that."
Fairchild has a history of running often and occasionally throwing deep from his days as an offensive coordinator in the National Football League, but Hawkins and his assistants probably won't have a good idea of the Rams' capabilities until the second half.
Colorado is coming off back-to-back losing seasons for the first time since 1983-84 and fans have high expectations with the addition of a top-15 recruiting class and the fact Hawkins is now in his third year.
CU will unveil its version of the no-huddle offense, college football's hottest trend. The Buffs have been practicing the system since spring ball and have put up gaudy numbers in scrimmages against their teammates on defense.
Having won this war once before as a redshirt freshman last season, CU quarterback Cody Hawkins said the Buffs are better prepared at the outset of a season than they have been the past two years since he and his dad came to Boulder.
Hawkins will be making his 14th consecutive start after an up-and-down year last season. The biggest difference for him from a year ago is knowing what to expect ahead of time.
"It's one of the loudest games you will ever play in because you have 40,000 people screaming their guts out on any given play," Hawkins said.
Colorado fans will get their first look at prized freshman running back Darrell Scott, but they will also see many other young Buffs making their debuts. The CU roster is one of the 10 youngest in the nation.
Other true freshmen, such as tailback Rodney Stewart, offensive lineman Max Tuioti-Mariner and safety Patrick Mahnke, are good bets for playing time today.
Older players will step into more prominent roles, such as sophomore Demetrius Sumler becoming the starting tailback and Jason Brace starting at defensive end. Also, junior college transfer linebacker Shawn Mohler will get his first start in Buff uniform.
Perhaps no debut is more significant that how sophomore Nate Solder plays in the first game of his life at tackle. Solder played tight end in high school and his first two years in the CU program.
While it is the first opportunity for many involved to put their stamp on the rivalry, it is the last for members of the senior class on both sides.
When CU wide receiver Patrick Williams first came to Boulder in 2004 as a freshman from the Dallas area, he was much more familiar with storied rivalries such as Texas-Texas A&M than the Rocky Mountain Showdown. But now the only game he appreciates more each season is the regular season finale with Nebraska.
"When I got here Colorado-Colorado State, I ain't going to say it didn't mean nothing to me, but it didn't have the same effect on me it does now," Williams said.

Woelk: Buffs need to deliver message

By Neill Woelk (Contact)
Saturday, August 30, 2008
DENVER -- A year ago, this corner theorized that the Colorado-Colorado State matchup was a game between two programs going in different directions.

Colorado used an overtime victory as the first step toward a 6-6 regular season that included wins over Oklahoma and Nebraska, a bowl berth and the promise of better things to come.

CSU, meanwhile, never recovered. The Rams finished 3-9, saw their legendary coach fired at season's end and are now staring at the bleak prospect of a lengthy rebuilding phase.
The second part of last year's hypothesis consisted of a prediction that the 2007 contest would be CSU's last good chance of getting a victory in the series anytime in the near future.
We'll hold to that prediction (granted, a prognostication that loses a little punch when you figure the series could very well stop after 2010 unless CSU officials come to their senses).
Still, the oddsmakers believe that today's game will end the stretch of series squeakers in the rivalry, one that has seen no more than seven points separate the two in their last six meetings.
Today, Dan Hawkins' Buffs are favored by 11 points. Given the fact that the Rams have a new coach, a new quarterback and a new system, it's by no means a generous spread.
The wild card here is the rivalry aspect. The Rams, who have always played this game with a chip on their shoulder, will bring an extra-large helping of animosity into today's contest. The ever-present feeling of being the "little brother" in this in-state rivalry was re-emphasized Friday when Colorado decided to play next year's game in Boulder.
CSU officials want the game in Denver. New Ram head coach Steve Fairchild wants the game in Denver. This could very well be their last chance to prove it belongs there.
If possible, this is more than "just" a head coaching debut for Fairchild. The former CSU quarterback and NFL offensive coordinator has the chance in front of him to put his immediate stamp on theprogram. The shadow of former coach Sonny Lubick still looms large in Fort Fun, and a win today would thrust Fairchild into the sunlight in a big hurry.
But the game is equally important for Colorado coach Dan Hawkins.
Hawk is entering his third year with a team whose vast majority of players are his recruits. This is the year Hawk needs to open with a strong statement, a statement that says CU football is headed in the right direction.
Hawk needs to show that his imprint is firmly stamped on this team.
Thus far the signs have been good. The Buffs went to a bowl game last year, gaining a little national notoriety with the win over Oklahoma along the way. Hawk then put together a top-20 recruiting class.
But a strong start is mandatory this year. After next week's game against Eastern Washington, a brutal schedule that includes three top-20 teams awaits.
Colorado needs to establish momentum early and keep it rolling.
For Colorado, today's game is about more than the CU-CSU series. It's about the big picture, about sending a message to the state's college football fans that CU is moving forward.
The Buffs don't need just a win today.
They need a decisive victory if they are indeed serious about sending that type of message.

Nice start bro, nice parlay! I had a nice first week as well, kind of got lost in the mix with soo many guys doing so well here. Great number on TN, stuck with this 7 and 7x bullshit not. Leaning to The Ville today, thoughts either way on this one?

Nice start bro, nice parlay! I had a nice first week as well, kind of got lost in the mix with soo many guys doing so well here. Great number on TN, stuck with this 7 and 7x bullshit not. Leaning to The Ville today, thoughts either way on this one?

Thanks man

Honestly lean UK here for a couple reasons.

If I am UK, I run the ball about 50x in this game, right at the new LB's from LVille with my 3 rb's. UK defense is better than Ville too so and although Ville has the QB edge, their WR's in this game don't impress me at all.

Of course this is from UK site but I agree with most of it:

August 29, 2008
<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]The Friday Five: UK-UofL Picks[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "The Friday Five: UK-UofL Picks "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "The Friday Five: UK-UofL Picks"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

CatsPause.com
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The House of Blue

When the college football season kicks off for Kentucky and Louisville on Sunday at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, months of futile internet banter and radio chatter will give way to the very meaningful sound of shoulder pads popping and the rivalry being settled the way it was meant to be – on the actual field.

<!--Start Smith, Alfonso 250 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/526919.jpg', '526919.jpg', 0, 423, 250, 1, 'Alfonso Smith and the rest of the UK backfield figures to loom large in Sunday\'s game.', 'Jeff Drummond/CatsPause.com', 1219991642000, 'Smith, Alfonso 250', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=252>
526919.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Jeff Drummond/CatsPause.com</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Alfonso Smith and the rest of the UK backfield figures to loom large in Sunday's game.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Smith, Alfonso 250 Image-->Before that can happen, however, each member of our CatsPause.com staff offers his final take on what will happen in the battle for the Governor's Cup.

1. JIM TIREY:

Since the revival of this series, I cannot remember the last time there were more unknowns in the UK-UofL showdown. That makes predicting anything in this game a scary situation, but here goes…

The matchup I'll be glued to is the experienced and seemingly improved UK defense trying to shut down talented Louisville quarterback Hunter Cantwell. This is what I think will be the key. I do not have enough faith in Kentucky's offense to think it will be able to outscore Louisville in a shootout. The defense, with experience on the line and the gifted Trevard Lindley patrolling the secondary (the Cards will be foolish to throw his way), needs to shut Louisville down early and often. Watch for third down conversion rates. If the Cards can get around 40-45% on the day, they will win the game, no question. That will mean that their offense is staying on the field, making it a long day for those wearing blue.

Tony Dixon and Derrick Locke also figure big. If the Cats control the clock with a good ground game, the Cats get the W. If Dixon and Locke get over 100 yards, it will be a Cat blowout.

Prediction: Cats 19, Cards 17

2.MATT MAY:

I've been playing EA Sports' NCAA Football video games for years, and I'll admit that I'm partial to throwing the football all over the field – or screen – because, well, it's a heck of a lot more fun than lining up and running the ball all the time. The same can't be said for real life, where being able to ram the ball down your opponent's throat is both an accepted and necessary method of winning football games.

The Kentucky-Louisville rivalry has been defined by who controls the line of scrimmage with the running game and this year will be no different. The Cats had 18 rushes of at least five yards in last year's game and dominated the ground war. If UK can do that again – and a veteran offensive line plus a stable of four talented backs suggest it can – I can't see the Cats losing. If not, Louisville is more dangerous than some UK fans want to admit. In the end I think the Cats' running game will help them protect their two young quarterbacks and expose the Cards' shaky defense in the second half.

Prediction: Kentucky 23, Louisville 20

3. TIM WISEMAN:

The rivalry returns to the opening week of the season, but most of last season's offensive stars will not be back for UK and UofL. As a result, the game should look much different than last year's scoring fest. With both teams starting new quarterbacks and revamped offenses, turnovers – or lack there of – will be the story of the game. UK is in far better position to take advantage of any miscues from the Cardinal offense. Cornerback Trevard Lindley made a pivotal interception in last year's game, and he likely will make his presence felt again. Plus, he has plenty of help from an aggressive and veteran D-line that could spoil Hunter Cantwell's first start at QB.

In a relatively low-scoring affair, expect the Wildcats' experienced defense and deep offensive backfield to make the difference. It might not be pretty thanks to so many changes for both teams' offenses, but it should be exciting.

Prediction: UK 24, UofL 20

4. DARRELL BIRD:

When you're talking about two football teams with more mysteries than a "Murder She Wrote-Night Stalker" twinbill, guessing "whodunit" between Kentucky and Louisville this Sunday isn't so easy as following a predictable script to a tidy conclusion before final credits roll.

Nonetheless, all gumshoes know you track any mystery first by following the clues, and the facts as we know them are these: Kentucky has better overall athletes, a deeper bench and superior confidence given the mindset of each program after last season. UK enters 2008 having collected back-to-back bowl Emmys while the Steve Kragthorpe Show is facing early cancellation if the ratings of testy UofL fans continue to plummet.

Kentucky wins the game because it has a better running attack thanks to a quartet of Tony Dixon, Derrick Locke, Alfonso Smith and Moncell Allen compared to the bulk of Louisville's defensive strength, which rests on the line of scrimmage. Punch a hole in that line, as UK's experienced offensive line should be able to do, and the running backs will burst into the open field. And that's where the fun begins.

The glaring question for Kentucky is QB Mike Hartline, who has no experience to speak of. But an experienced running game, offensive line and impressive defense should require that the quarterback be no more than a supporting character.

Mystery solved.

Prediction: Kentucky 23, Louisville 17

5. JEFF DRUMMOND:

With both teams having lost several star players since they last met in an Instant Classic at Commonwealth Stadium, it's been hard for fans and media alike to get a good read on this game. In some ways, I think that's why the build up for this year's game hasn't been quite as strong as in recent years. Compounding the mystery has been the fact that both programs have been running closed practices, so nobody really knows what either of these squads look like right now except the teams themselves.

So my prediction is based on what I do know, which is this: no matter how sophisticated offensive and defensive systems get, and no matter how skilled the players of today have become, the game still boils down to a very simple combination -- blocking and tackling. In this regard, I believe Kentucky has a distinct advantage over a Louisville squad that has seen its overall depth depleted in a variety of ways.

Rich Brooks has been publicly critical of his offensive line at times during fall camp. I don't think it's been due to a lack of talent. I think the UK boss has known for months that the key to this game is his O-Line developing a nasty attitude and setting out to dominate the line of scrimmage. With inexperience at quarterback, the Cats need to run the ball early, often and late against a Louisville team that struggled royally to stop the ground game last season and is expected to start three linebackers with no game experience.

Barring turnovers or special teams gaffes -- two very real possibilities in a season opener -- I think the Cats get the job done.

Prediction: UK 26, UofL 20

This will be my first underdog of the year, likely have 1 tomorrow as well, but this is also my first 1-unit play of the year, so its not that confident of a play. Taking the better rushing offense and the better defense.

UK ML...........1/1.4

Regardless of what happens in this RU game, and you still may win it, I must say you've had a hell of a week buddy. Congrats and best of luck next week too

Thanks Dwight, pissed off at myself for even playing RU in the 2nd half when I lean Fresno the whole time.

I hope Tenn takes care of the business 2night but that might of been my last 2nd half play of the yr, hate them

Back