What We Learned in Week 1...

jester2trife

CTG Media Pirate
Someone used to always do this at that OTHER site and I always loved getting everyones 2 cents, so lets keep it alive over here....

xXx

Joe p always did it for NFL

But..great idea...I have MANY thoughts and will post them in a bit or morning

we'll start this saturday night everyweek for now on jester

1. Colt Brennan > Your favorite QB and should be the 1st QB taken in the draft...

2. The clock is ticking on Al Groh and Lloyd Carr (but more on him later)...

3. If Notre Dame doesnt beat Purdue, theyll be 0-8...

4. Syracuse is HORRID once again...

5. The hype on Okie State was unjust...

6. Duke had a golden opportunity to finally win a game, and got crushed...

7. Buffalo @ Temple next week might be the worst game in NCAA history...

8. LSU will prob beat VT next week 6-0...

9. SC is overrated, but still very good...

10. Cal has prob the best offense in the country...

11. Florida States offense looked good in the 2nd half, much improved from here on out...

12. Itll be hard for teams to want to play Appalachian State anymore. A back-to-back 1AA champ apparently shouldnt be scoffed at...

13. The unemployment line will be paging Lloyd Carr come seasons end...

14. NCAA football is the best sport on Earth...

xXx

1. Colt Brennan > Your favorite QB and should be the 1st QB taken in the draft...

agree

2. The clock is ticking on Al Groh and Lloyd Carr (but more on him later)...
agree

3. If Notre Dame doesnt beat Purdue, theyll be 0-8...
1-7

4. Syracuse is HORRID once again...
yes

5. The hype on Okie State was unjust...
offense will still be very good..lets hype up UGA defense more

6. Duke had a golden opportunity to finally win a game, and got crushed...
they are still duke

7. Buffalo @ Temple next week might be the worst game in NCAA history...
close..temple is better than they have been in years...still bad tho

8. LSU will prob beat VT next week 6-0...
LOL...27-7

9. SC is overrated, but still very good...
not the ttoal power I saw them bing..secondary and Oline is suspect

10. Cal has prob the best offense in the country...
close..for sure..and a horrid defesne still

11. Florida States offense looked good in the 2nd half, much improved from here on out...
offense didn't look 'good' to me..better field position....against weak clubs they will be better..Smith will be nice in OOC games

12. Itll be hard for teams to want to play Appalachian State anymore. A back-to-back 1AA champ apparently shouldnt be scoffed at...
scared...yes...but now teams can schedule ahead with xtra game

13. The unemployment line will be paging Lloyd Carr come seasons end...
it was either way

14. NCAA football is the best sport on Earth...
tru

xXx

:tiphat:

desean jackson is the best punt returner in all of North America. this is coming from a chicago bears fan if you dont know.

usc looked one dimensional to me on offense. i dont know if they just werent interested which is very likely but i couldnt even watch most of it was so bad. also, their wrs are ...

1. Colt Brennan > Your favorite QB and should be the 1st QB taken in the draft...WRONG

Brian Brohm is the best QB in college football and will make the best NFL QB

I would not read too much into USC in that game. They were so vanilla on both sides of the ball and very disinterested. Pissed me off cause I layed the 44.5 with Petey and the boys. They could have named the score in that contest.

Some teams with new OC's have looked outright terrible on offense..

FSU and Zona come to mind. It is too early for me to think of some others

as an NFL team i would rather have two QB's above Colt Brennan, Brian Brohm and Matt Ryan (boston college). Some may doubt me, but i think colt is a pure system QB. I think colt will be a average nfl QB.

1. without hinds , unlv will struggle to score much this year

2. wake forest is not going to do it again this year

3. each year the difference between the "elite" teams and the small conference teams gets smaller.

4. qb sewell for virginia has not improved year over year

5. mike leach is still a weasel .. trying to score on 4th and goal with under 6 minutes to go with a 42 - 9 lead. great coach to back as a huge favorite in other words.

6. notre dame is what most of this board thought they were.

7. UAB is undersized, lacks speed and cannot tackle on defense

8. pac-10 is for real

9. sean glennon is the same deer in headlights that he was all of last year. hope they arent wearing white pants when this guy travels to baton rouge because he is so scared we may see the stain on the back.

10. we need a playoff system. if a fcs (d1aa) team can defeat #5 in the nation then i have no reason to believe that utah a few years back and boise last year could not have made a run in a playoff to win a championship.

Please tell me if this is just me. While watching the pathetic effort from FSU in the first half last night...30plays-42 yards if you took away Weatherfords run....Is Xavier Lee that bad that they didn't even give him a shot. If I am the head coach and my team is doing absolutely nothing on offense after 30 plays, I would be inclined to change QB's if I had 2 of them. They must have 0% confidence X can get the job done because Weatherford looked awful. I would of at least went to Lee so he could escape the rush and make something happen. Every pass play in the 1st half was going to the flat to the fullback Sims, wtf?

Greg Robinson will be fired and coaching at Texas next year again since newly appointed Akina has no idea what the hell he's doing.

Please tell me if this is just me. While watching the pathetic effort from FSU in the first half last night...30plays-42 yards if you took away Weatherfords run....Is Xavier Lee that bad that they didn't even give him a shot. If I am the head coach and my team is doing absolutely nothing on offense after 30 plays, I would be inclined to change QB's if I had 2 of them. They must have 0% confidence X can get the job done because Weatherford looked awful. I would of at least went to Lee so he could escape the rush and make something happen. Every pass play in the 1st half was going to the flat to the fullback Sims, wtf?

I agree with your assessment but his O-line is very young and a lot of times he didn't have time to even plant his foot to throw. There were times when he looked like a dear in headlights and stood in the pocket like an idiot too. The 2nd half was a little better with him having some time to maneuver in the pocket. I am not a Weatherford fan but his receivers didn't help either by the dropped passes.

I agree, Against The Pub, but because the O-Line was so weak, I'd want to see a more mobile QB get in there to buy more time. You're spot on with the 2H assessment. They may have pulled out the cover if FSU receivers held on to some key 3rd down passes. I also think Clemson lost their stamina on both sides of the ball in the 2H and it allowed FSU to get back in the game.

1. Colt Brennan > Your favorite QB and should be the 1st QB taken in the draft...WRONG

Brian Brohm is the best QB in college football and will make the best NFL QB
As much as I respect everyones opinion in this forum, Colt is not Timmy Chang or any Red Raider QB (take ur pick on any of them). Colt has arm strength, touch, accuracy, pocket presence, and is very fleet of foot. I do like Brohm alot, but not nearly as much as Colt. And Matt Ryan isnt worthy of carrying Brennan's clipboard IMO...

xXx

PS - Florida's offense will be much better with TT than it was with Leak. People who think he can only bull rush people over and not throw the football are highly misinformed...

Florida State's offensive line is an atrocity right now. I love sex and Carr had some big drops, and Parker had a huge fumble. I really like that kid, he will be a playmaker in no time for Jimbo. Clemson dominated every aspect of that game in the first half, barring the blocked punt. Weatherford has to become more aware in the pocket. Sometimes I think he panics when he actually does have time to throw because he is constantly running for his life and is used to it. I think Jimbo made a good move, or lack there of, by not changing QB's. He showed confindence in Drew, and maybe thats what he needed to become more confident in himself... who knows. I think a big part of FSU making a comeback was the 2 Off. Lineman going down for Clemson in the first half, Our defense pretty much shut them down in the 2nd half, but i guess another part of that was the fact that Clemson didnt start on FSUs side of the 50, 6 times in the 2nd half again either. We definitely wouldnt have deserved to win that game even if we did get a score at the end of the game to win it. Clemson is definitely the better team right now. Maybe Bobby should start scheduling "cupcakes" in week 1 like everyone else... but then again we would be more likely to end up like Meeechigan than Michigan themselves... Probably a bad idea haha. By the way, Xavier Lee is awful, and I never want to see him take a snap for FSU in non blowout situation... ever. People give him way too much credit for being the type of QB that he is. I like what Jimbo is doing and I love seeing Trickett get all over our O-Line. Good things may be on the horizon for the noles, but then again we are the noles...

As for Colt Brennan, I am going to have to disagree with you as well Capone. Colt is the real deal. Its easy to say guys like Colt and Harrell are products of the system, but these 2 are not. This is not Timmy Chang. Did you see how accurate Harrell was yesterday? God Almighty, 80% the balls he threw were perfect... with and without pressure. And Colt Brennan is what happens when a real NFL prospect goes into THAT kind of system, against the kinda teams they play against. Ryan couldn't hold Brennans water bottle.

Someone used to always do this at that OTHER site and I always loved getting everyones 2 cents, so lets keep it alive over here....

xXx

NOt to toot my own horn, but that was me (and a few others--like Garf and Matador).

I haven't started this thread in a while and am content to discuss the week in review in the Sunday Morning Coffee thread, along with upcoming line predictions.

But this kind of thread is always useful.

Akron was quite aware of their offensive losses and it showed in their playcalling. They did an excellent job of ball control and knowing their limitations. Jabari Arthur is currently the team's only viable option at WR.

From ESPN's summary of the VaTech game:

"The running game struggled. Glennon threw an interception, lost a fumble, was sacked four times and continually missed open receivers with errant passes. The Hokies offense even heard boos from a home crowd that honored a plea not to jeer the Pirates."

Yikes.

I actually believe that they think weatherford gives them the best long term chance to win and had they replaced him with X it would have caused a qb controversy that they may not have wanted. They were down 24 - 3 at halftime and as bowden said at halftime they were being outblocked and outtackled. Had the score been more along the lines of 13-3 i think they would have been more likely to have made the change. i dont think they felt they had a reasonable chance to win and didnt want a qb controversy. then weatherford and the oline played better in the second half and the need for a change was no longer there.

I respectfully disagree. The FSU O-line has 3 senior starters. Youth is not the problem, imho. I think they're just not very good.

Last night they started two freshman and one sophomore on the O-line. They weren't very good the first half but in the 2nd half they looked a lot better.

Bowden likes Weatherford because he fits the Bowden model. I'm not sure if he's a fourth year junior or whatever he is, but whatever his tenure situation is, that is the one that's given Bowden the most success in the past.

I heard him talk about this over the summer.

So, in his head, this is the guy. Because this is the same guy who's done so much for his programs in the past.

The problem seems to be, this particular guy either may not be that good, the people around him may not be that good, or both.

As cappers. I think we can easily put more value on teams with a kicker still able to get touchbacks....WAY too many posessions starting at midfield

Was it just me or does it seem better for most teams just to kick it out of bounds now and go from the 35?

Back