What have we learned, week 14

GWarner27

Meatballin' in Celtics Stadium
Twink touched on this in the fantasy forum, tons of awful performances all over the place today.

MIA now without Tannehill starting Moore makes me think that 8-5 team is done, which is great for DEN trying to sneak in

Quick reaction to SNF, NYG is terrible and Eli looks like he has nothing left. Romo also looks like he will get a start before the season ends

Initial guess at this point for AFC wildcards are losers of KC/Oak and Pit/Balt races...Denver remaining schedule is silly, Fins are now a much longer shot. If Tennessee wins the South, that will be an interesting home wild card game.

And Green Bay might well win the NFC if Rodgers can somehow stay healthy but he looks so hobbled. So many flaws everywhere in this conference.

Every team has issues which should make for a fun January. Nothing will be surprising.

SEA is so tough to figure out, but i will likely be backing them in the playoffs if the pointspreads allow it

TEN is the best team in that division so they should win it if the season started today. It doesn't and i seem to recall HOU's remaining schedule being very easy (even with a zero at QB)

Are the 2 rookies for DAL starting to feel the pinch? Step up in grade and longer season must surely take its toll

I would not overreact to 1 bad divisional road game - even the best lay an egg from time to time. They played horrible and still had chances to win. They will be fine.

If I had to narrow it down to 3 teams in each conference with best chance to win SB it would be NE, Balt and Pit in the AFC and Sea, Dal and Atl in the NFC. KC and Det #4's. And all of these teams are flawed so going to be an interesting finish to the season.

Tampa is for real. That D is playing great. The run game has a nice 1-2 punch with Martin as the grinder, and now Sims is back as the passing back. Winston still throws some risky passes, so that can hurt them at times. But Evans and Brate are really big targets that help neutralize some of those wild throws.

I wouldn't sleep on them next week in Dallas.

Also, we'll see if last night marks the beginning of Dallas' annual collapse. I bet a lot of chatter will be speculating whether Romo should start. It's sure to be a distraction all week. They have 2 tough home games vs. playoff quality teams (Tampa and Detroit). Then they will face a road game at Philly, who will have nothing to play for but will surely be looking to fuck up their playoff positioning.

Tampa is for real. That D is playing great. The run game has a nice 1-2 punch with Martin as the grinder, and now Sims is back as the passing back. Winston still throws some risky passes, so that can hurt them at times. But Evans and Brate are really big targets that help neutralize some of those wild throws.

Agree. Tampa is the best team in the NFC South.

I don't know man....Saints played AWFUL, had penalties like a 2000s Raider team, dropped TDs and passes, and it was still a game late.
I am not sold on them at all.

Must be December. Fully half the teams failed to hit the 20 mark and only one total reached 50. Seven games failed to crack 40 and an eighth need overtime to reach it.

The Ryan brothers need to be excommunicated from the defensive guru club.

Dallas just faced a top five defense on the road followed by a top five rush defense on the road on a night when passing was tough for both sides. If they take care of business in the next two weeks at home they shouldn't have to worry about that situation again this season.

Are the 2 rookies for DAL starting to feel the pinch? Step up in grade and longer season must surely take its toll

Zeke dropped a bunch of passes, but still cracked 100 yards last night and based on how few runners do that nowadays i have no fear about him. Dak was not very good and should feel a bunch more Romo on his shoulders now, so that is a fair question

If I had to narrow it down to 3 teams in each conference with best chance to win SB it would be NE, Balt and Pit in the AFC and Sea, Dal and Atl in the NFC. KC and Det #4's. And all of these teams are flawed so going to be an interesting finish to the season.

i'm not sold on ATL and while BAL has a solid D and Flacco, I'm not sure they're good enough (even though I think they can win tonight).

My top 3 would be NE, PIT, KC and DAL, SEA then not sure

Must be December. Fully half the teams failed to hit the 20 mark and only one total reached 50. Seven games failed to crack 40 and an eighth need overtime to reach it.

The Ryan brothers need to be excommunicated from the defensive guru club.

Dallas just faced a top five defense on the road followed by a top five rush defense on the road on a night when passing was tough for both sides. If they take care of business in the next two weeks at home they shouldn't have to worry about that situation again this season.

A lot of drops last night.Never rolled Dak out.
Gonna see pressure during the playoffs.

Bears fight until the end of each game - @ some point this might end, but with their schedule ahead I think they continue the fight.

And the Bears doing it with a bunch of nobodies supporting a backup QB. Credit to the coaching staff.

I don't know man....Saints played AWFUL, had penalties like a 2000s Raider team, dropped TDs and passes, and it was still a game late.
I am not sold on them at all.

Well Brees has looked bad lately, that's for sure. Can't take anything away for TB D though, imo.

Bears fight until the end of each game - @ some point this might end, but with their schedule ahead I think they continue the fight.

like everyone else, i'm really impressed. Certainly could have given up, no reason to think they will now

Well Brees has looked bad lately, that's for sure. Can't take anything away for TB D though, imo.
Yea, decent D

Saints dropped a few TD passes though

I'm just not totally sold, although I think in the future they will be something if they draft right and Jameis gets better

Pats still team to beat. Bill/Tom show rolled up 500 yards on leagues best defense...thats impressive

AFC- NE, PIT, KC and OAK
NFC- DAL, SEA, TB and GB (once they get in)

What in the world does anyone see in Baltimore... They have the one win against Pitt... and what else

Was it getting down by 20 to Cleveland? Beating Jacksonville by 2? Losing to the Jets? Losing to 4 current playoff teams? Please tell me, what have they done to merit any respect.

NE was two ridiculous ST plays from winning by about 30 last night... And people call KC a fraud.. Baltimore is not good.

Pats still team to beat. Bill/Tom show rolled up 500 yards on leagues best defense...thats impressive

If they do it on Denver I'll be impressed. NE has weaknesses but a team that runs 4 times a half isn't going to exploit them.

AFC- NE, PIT, KC and OAK
NFC- DAL, SEA, TB and GB (once they get in)

What in the world does anyone see in Baltimore... They have the one win against Pitt... and what else

Was it getting down by 20 to Cleveland? Beating Jacksonville by 2? Losing to the Jets? Losing to 4 current playoff teams? Please tell me, what have they done to merit any respect.

NE was two ridiculous ST plays from winning by about 30 last night... And people call KC a fraud.. Baltimore is not good.

Until last night Baltimore had the #1 defense in the league. That, and them winning 4 in a row (until last night) is the reason they've gotten the respect thy have...and probably having Cool Joe as the QB with the playoff success he's had in his career.

Until last night Baltimore had the #1 defense in the league. That, and them winning 4 in a row (until last night) is the reason they've gotten the respect thy have...and probably having Cool Joe as the QB with the playoff success he's had in his career.

Or until they played other good offenses like Oakland (Carr 4 TDs), NY Giants (Manning 400 yards/3 TDs) and Dallas (Prescott 300 yards/3 TDS). They have one good win. They shut down one good offense and it was with an unhealthy Big Ben. And they were on a 2 game win streak. Not 4

Last edited:
Or until they played other good offenses like Oakland (Carr 4 TDs), NY Giants (Manning 400 yards/3 TDs) and Dallas (Prescott 300 yards/3 TDS). They have one good win. They shut down one good offense and it was with an unhealthy Big Ben. And they were on a 2 game win streak. Not 4

Yeah, it was 4 out of 5 they had won.

BAL is a curious case, one of those teams who could win a couple games if they get in because it's hard to score on them

I've been saying this all along.

BAL is a curious case, one of those teams who could win a couple games if they get in because it's hard to score on them

Raiders, Giants, Cowboys, Pats, and hell, even the Jets would all disagree with this statement.

Baltimores defence is top 10 in

Points per game
Yards per game
Points per play
TD’s per game
Yards per play
Third Down conversions
Rushing yards per game
Yards per rush
Rushing first downs per game
Interception percentage
Yards per pass
Takeaways per game

The offense does not rank in the top 10 in any of those categories

No mention of the Redskins which is good, let them stay under the radar....I'd like to see them get in but their defense will probably be their flaw in the end.

No mention of the Redskins which is good, let them stay under the radar....I'd like to see them get in but their defense will probably be their flaw in the end.

Cousins is really hard to feel good about either way, but i will admit i never have a clue what to do with their games

Raiders, Giants, Cowboys, Pats, and hell, even the Jets would all disagree with this statement.

can't argue for NYJ, but look at the others you listed. Top-2 offenses in the league and others who can score when healthy

That's my point G, they aren't so hot against playoff-caliber teams so I don't see them going deep if they make it at all.

Back