Week 1 what have we learned so far?

Carson Strong for heisman ? Think may go undefeated and nobody else looked good so far.

Not sure he will get enough respect and his team might not be good enough. But as far as that goes, Cincinnait QB Desmond Ridder might have the numbers and he has a little better of a schedule to showcase against (mostly ND but also Indiana).

It was great to see Milton get on the field! The way he played compared to Travis I think FSU wins that game had they started Milton!

Coaching matters. Happy to see the end result in Austin.

Just one game but the between-series adjustments, audibles at the LOS and many things more give me room for hope. And you all know my cynicism.

im glad I stayed away from laffy taffy, just didn’t know what we were gonna see from horns? I didn’t get to catch any of that game but that a impressive win, Ull is a real team so beating them by 20 is nothing to sneeze at!! Looking at box score it appears horns rushing defense is solid. Is that accurate?

i thought Sark was a good hire, then again I thought same thing about the last guy! Lol

And I'll be on the over in every Ohio State game until something tells me otherwise.

especially if ducks beast DE can’t go. He was in a boot for most the Fresno game after having a huge impact early. That kid flat out changes game plans! I see why he being touted as a top pick in next draft!

I’m a big UCLA believer this year. Impressive to see them wear down that LSU front.

i was already high on their defense, I was shocked they were able to get pretty much whatever they wanted in the run game vs lsu. That was the biggest coaching mismatch I saw all weekend!!

If we didn't have several years of evidence to the contrary, I could make the argument that it was first game, facing a great defense, etc. But that offense looked like it has for years, and even threw a bunch of toss sweeps to boundary like vintage Les Miles LSU teams

i hear what you saying bout the years Of evidence but I do really feel like Uga realized they were gonna win that game long as the offense didn’t do anything to screw it up so feel like it still kinda hard to say. Man that defense is nasty! Clemson d wasn’t no joke either. I think pretty much every team in the country offense would have struggled vs either those defenses on Saturday night.

SDSU is the early leader in the clubhouse for point shaving performance of the year.

I never even think about laying any kind of number with that team, their offense is always inept at best! For the last several years they been a team I look to fade getting points or play the under. Defense always pretty solid and they play offense like they still in the 60’s!! Even when they having success on offense that just means they are milking the shit out the clock!

San Jose defense held USC to just 13 points through 3 quarters, that was pretty impressive. Their receivers just couldn't get open vs that level of DB talent. San Jose TEs had some nice plays.

they were awful in the red zone as well, pretty sure I recall at least 3x they got down around 10 yard line and came away with no points. It was painful getting 14 points in that game and not covering, for most part I thought they played with usc.

It was great to see Milton get on the field! The way he played compared to Travis I think FSU wins that game had they started Milton!

Yeah, I loved it too. The timing was perfect too. I am not so sure how things would've gone if he was the full game starter though. Jordan Travis is limited, but his running is pretty good and I'm not sure Milton has that same ability. But what the Noles lose with mobility they gain with Milton's better passing skills. So it is hard to say. Tough situation to manage...I'd assume they both continue to play or rotate for a few games.

they were awful in the red zone as well, pretty sure I recall at least 3x they got down around 10 yard line and came away with no points. It was painful getting 14 points in that game and not covering, for most part I thought they played with usc.

USC was poor on their RZ trips as well.

I attribute USC's struggles to some good San Jose D. I think San Jose's struggles were due to some personnel shortcomings vs superior talent on the USC D.

USC was poor on their RZ trips as well.

I attribute USC's struggles to some good San Jose D. I think San Jose's struggles were due to some personnel shortcomings vs superior talent on the USC D.

I just didn’t recall any usc trips where they got nothing from red zone? San Jose st missed a chip shot fg then elected to go for it when they were down 16, I understand 2 tds and 2 two point conversions ties it at that point but considering how bad they were down there and the time (think was still 8 min or so left) I woulda took the 3. Then again maybe no confidence in kicker after already missing one from close? Pretty sure yards were basically even.

I just didn’t recall any usc trips where they got nothing from red zone? San Jose st missed a chip shot fg then elected to go for it when they were down 16, I understand 2 tds and 2 two point conversions ties it at that point but considering how bad they were down there and the time (think was still 8 min or so left) I woulda took the 3. Then again maybe no confidence in kicker after already missing one from close? Pretty sure yards were basically even.

You are right, USC didn't get nothing, they kicked FGs instead of getting TDs a few times though.

You are right, USC didn't get nothing, they kicked FGs instead of getting TDs a few times though.

until the pick 6 at the end felt like had sjst just converted a few fgs they had the cover in the bag. Guess really they only needed the one chip shot they missed back as that woulda make it 23-10 till the pick 6 of course.

Anyways it is what it is. Still Don’t think it was a bad play, sjst mostly played well enough to where they should have at least covered imo. Rice hurt worse tho! lol

I knew people here had Rice and I was cringing watching the end of that game.

The biggest thing with San Jose I felt was their receivers (WRs not TEs) just couldn't get open, couldn't get off the line of scrimmage sometimes. I had wondering how much San Jose would miss Gaither and Walker and I think they ended up missing them an awful lot. San Jose definitely played them closer than the final indicated. USC's talent advantage in the defensive secondary was pretty evident and that was even without their best safety not playing.

For Miami, how much has the change in the recruiting landscape hurt them? If I remember correctly, those championship teams were made up mostly of local guys. Now, every top program recruits south Florida. Probably wasn't that way even as recently as the early 2000s. Starting with Amari Cooper, it seems like Alabama has had at least one south florida area WR every year
NIL will change this back a bit...

Though Ole Miss was impressive, not sure how much we found out about their “improved defense.” Lville’s play calling was understandably conservative and unimaginative since I’m guessing they were trying to take the air out of the ball and the Rebels’ O off the field. We’ll know more when they play a team that will actually try to pass on them.

Miami will be fine.
Nebraska will not be… as long as Martinez is the QB.
When you say fine does that mean the usual 3-5 loss seasons that Miami has been accumulating for the last 20 years after consistently being in the national title mix most seasons.

How bad is the ACC. Besides Florida State having a good showing every other team embarrassed themselves in out of conference games against real opponents. Clemson may very well run the table from here on out but they will still have zero quality wins and no real argument to be in the playoffs.
Par for the course.

11-1 Clemson is an auto bid.

As I said in Week zero, fade Uconn but don't watch the game if you're not into wasting 3 hours. Its about as ugly a football program can be. Even their coach as already stepped down after losing to Holy Cross. Next opponent is Purdue

As I said in Week zero, fade Uconn but don't watch the game if you're not into wasting 3 hours. Its about as ugly a football program can be. Even their coach as already stepped down after losing to Holy Cross. Next opponent is Purdue
Will the new coach brings out better or more effort?

that Purdue line is kinda high. Will probably tease Purdue, 1H , TT over if they have the line at BM.

that Purdue line is kinda high. Will probably tease Purdue, 1H , TT over if they have the line at BM.

Don't know if Edsell was part of a problem with the team, but with out without him, UConn has some major problems at QB. Both of their QBs are completing a combined less than 45% on the season, they only completed 41.5% vs Holy Cross. Mensah is all they have on O too bad for him the OL can't give him more room.

I wrote down the line for this game in August was 27.5

Uconn is that bad. Purdue scores in the 40's. Does Uconn score late or at all?

Not really ever a great time to bet on UConn but I will be on them this week, Purdue covers against a P5 team and Notre Dame the following week. Will hold my nose and keep it in the fairway, hoping the interim coach can inspire them to get a cover or Purdue takes the foot off the gas. No hurry to get on them though as situations are how I play most things in sport.

How bad is the ACC. Besides Florida State having a good showing every other team embarrassed themselves in out of conference games against real opponents. Clemson may very well run the table from here on out but they will still have zero quality wins and no real argument to be in the playoffs.
Not a good start for the conference for sure. Obviously some teams will emerge. I don't think you can be too hard on Miami. That would happen to most teams in that game, if not worse

I go with Saban vs Mandy but Chip Kelly vs Orgeron is a decidedly bad matchup for LSU.

yea i cant really argue Saban either but he also blessed with a vastly more talented team, pretty sure a lot of coaches coulda stomped canes with that team. on the other hand im not sure bruins are actually more talented than lsu and they were easily the superior team, chip's blocking schemes were fantastic imo, i was shocked bruins were able to get basically anything they wanted on offense,,

Frost looked great at UCF but now looks lost. Makes me think if he can't win there who can.

Frost flaming out this year at a 4-8/5-7 would actually benefit the program a ton. Not sure the Huskers can attract a big time coach regardless of the situation but no coach wants any part of that job if 9-3 is not good enough given the recruiting limitations and the pressure. But if they are coming off 4 straight losing seasons from the alleged "chosen one" they might get a lot more interest in a guy coming in merely having to go 6-6 and a bowl game in year one to be a raving success.

Back