Week 1 what have we learned so far?

We will find out if Georgia can win on defense and defense alone. Very impressive showing on that side of the ball but once again Kirby has a punchless offense.
If we didn't have several years of evidence to the contrary, I could make the argument that it was first game, facing a great defense, etc. But that offense looked like it has for years, and even threw a bunch of toss sweeps to boundary like vintage Les Miles LSU teams

LSU getting dominated on both lines is concerning. Haven't gone through all the games yet, but it's looking like the SEC is a two team conference again, and the bottom 2/3 is very mediocre

If we didn't have several years of evidence to the contrary, I could make the argument that it was first game, facing a great defense, etc. But that offense looked like it has for years, and even threw a bunch of toss sweeps to boundary like vintage Les Miles LSU teams
Very few coaches change the way they coach. Saban is rare in that he is a defensive coach that realized years ago that you won't win championships on defense alone and he adjusted to a wide open offense and its why they are in the mix each and every season regardless of how many players they lose to the league.

In opening games always look at big coaching mismatches. With months and months to prepare the incredible difference between say Saban and Mandy produce the results that we saw yesterday.
In fairness, there aren't too many games where it isn't a huge mismatch when Saban is on the other sideline. Maybe not from an in-game perspective, but nobody prepares like he does

LSU getting dominated on both lines is concerning. Haven't gone through all the games yet, but it's looking like the SEC is a two team conference again, and the bottom 2/3 is very mediocre
I mentioned it in the game thread but I think Orgeron is finished.

Connections….or they doing shady kickbacks? Heck, it’s not the AD’s own money anyway, of course they don’t give a shit…
I think it's mainly because in these negotiations, the agents vs the ADs is basically like an NFL team vs a high school squad

Oklahoma defense still vanilla and butter……so wanted the upset yesterday……teams that don’t put the pedal to the metal ain’t gonna make it.

In opening games always look at big coaching mismatches. With months and months to prepare the incredible difference between say Saban and Mandy produce the results that we saw yesterday.
There was literally not many surprises there.

King sucks vs good defenses.

The Bana offense was the portion we needed to learn about. Quick study there.

My buddies all wanted to unload on Miami. I talked two out. Good lord. Only had the TT under but betting the dog there was never a consideration. We have too much data on these coaches, Bama in season openers and King vs good competition.

Oklahoma defense still vanilla and butter……so wanted the upset yesterday……teams that don’t put the pedal to the metal ain’t gonna make it.
I think between the transfer portal and the free year for seniors, we're going to see elevated play from the G5 teams. Not going to beat these teams with the name on your jersey, going to have to play 4 quarters

I think between the transfer portal and the free year for seniors, we're going to see elevated play from the G5 teams. Not going to beat these teams with the name on your jersey, going to have to play 4 quarters
Still pissed they score 3 points after halftime only to kill my big day…..hated Ok. That Lincoln guy likes to run clock and play conservative when up big…..the point is he don’t have to Defense to do it……

There was literally not many surprises there.

King sucks vs good defenses.

The Bana offense was the portion we needed to learn about. Quick study there.

My buddies all wanted to unload on Miami. I talked two out. Good lord. Only had the TT under but betting the dog there was never a consideration. We have too much data on these coaches, Bama in season openers and King vs good competition.
I kept hearing about how Alabama struggles against this offense and these types of QBs. That was true in 2014. Do people think Saban hasn't addressed this? Since the Ole MIss debacles, the QBs to beat Alabama are Burrow, Lawrence, Deshaun Watson....and Jarrett Stidham and Bo Nix. King is more like the last 2 than the first 3, but he doesn't have the luxury of playing on the voodoo grounds in AU

SDSU is the early leader in the clubhouse for point shaving performance of the year.
That QB is not good.

I had same thought on first drive of the 3rd.

I so appreciate how it shook out. You don't get -4.5/-4 live often on a 30 point spread.

Let’s get this out of the way. I fucking watched a team littered with 2 stars and unranked guys fo into Norman and take OK to the fuxking BRINK.

Then for the nightcap got to see a completely unprepared team get their shit pushed in by a less talented better coached by 10,000 miles.

The O line I said was a concern. Well HOLY. FUCK. Concern is putting it lightly. The inability to recruit that position is glaring. Inexcusable. We don’t produce O line here. Fine. Go National and get em for Christ sake.

I said the LBs were a concern. Slap me in the face with 15 inches of limp dick. Tulane has better LBs and I’m NOT kidding. Mike Jones from Clemson can’t crack the fucking field? On THIS team?! Mel Kiper has him a 150 guy?! Gtfo. I shouldn’t bang on him too bad. Because he didn’t play. Even more sad.

I see a soft team again. Stingley looks like he wants out. Yea he is talented but he ain’t half as tough as Ricks…maybe not even 25%.

Jay Ward goes out the game and the Safety position just collapses. Todd Harris can take his LA 4 star ass to another country. He couldn’t play 3 years ago and he can’t now.

All we heard about is Kiner at RB. And he doesn’t even get in the game. Davis-Price should be your legit back up….I say SHOULD but here we are with Emery not playing. Who fucking knows there?! I do know you don’t just completely abandon the run game….you can get away doing that with Burrow and others of that ilk. Not with this kid.

Another caveat. We have 2 TEs on the roster. In the SEC. In the West. One is a true freshman and got more run than worthless Taylor.

Bright spot? Another LA WR likely being the 1st WR taken come draft time. You know his name. He had all 3 TDs.

It’s becoming glaringly obvious what the common denominator here is. It pains me to say it, because he is a Louisiana guy. He might make the year, but that’s iffy. There will be no more coordinators to fall on the sword.
Both guys had less than stellar debuts…..bordering on the retarded level. The Bruins did the Mississippi St thing again to LSU. They ran the same play 5 times I think I counted sending the guy in motion and our LBs looked lost everytime. No communication with safeties…

On the offense, here is an idea. Maybe not take the play clock all the way down. Set a tempo?!

Bad bad bad

I ask this every season but are Nebraska and Miami dead forever.

I actually thought Miami looked okay. They had some dudes on the DL and King looked better as a passer than he has before. It's just a complete mismatch for Bama against any team not named Jorja, OhioSt, or Clemson.

Nebraska ain't going anywhere with frost. He's upgraded the talent, but him and his staff just can't coach. Best case scenario is he's gone at the end of the year and you get a staff who can really coach and really develop players because there is top 25 talent on the roster. If they wait, recruiting is going to tank (it already has started to) and we're going to be fucked for another 5 years.

I actually thought Miami looked okay. They had some dudes on the DL and King looked better as a passer than he has before. It's just a complete mismatch for Bama against any team not named Jorja, OhioSt, or Clemson.

Nebraska ain't going anywhere with frost. He's upgraded the talent, but him and his staff just can't coach. Best case scenario is he's gone at the end of the year and you get a staff who can really coach and really develop players because there is top 25 talent on the roster. If they wait, recruiting is going to tank (it already has started to) and we're going to be fucked for another 5 years.
Frost looked great at UCF but now looks lost. Makes me think if he can't win there who can.

I ask this every season but are Nebraska and Miami dead forever.

Depends what we are comparing them to. Will Nebraska and Miami ever be elite again? I tend to think Nebraska will not and Miami could be in some future evolution of the game like 6, 9 or 12 years from now maybe. If we are comparing them to what Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State have become - they will not unseat those teams.

But there is no reason Miami should not and can not be competitive vs the rest of the ACC outside of the very best team there right now and maybe further down the road, very far, they could emerge as a top team at some point. The recruiting base is so good and the other league competition is so average, I hold out hope that Miami might still find their way at some point.

I think it is much more difficult for Nebraska. I feel like Nebraska is a ship lost at sea and it has been a slow erosion of losing identity and losing recruiting areas they once had in Texas and California. Big Xll expansion hurt them. Moving to the Big Ten hurt them. Having no identity has hurt them. Losing so many close games has hurt them. Other teams in the Big Ten are who they should be (Wisconsin and Iowa). Maybe Nebraska can some day compete for divisional wins, but Nebraska will never matter nationally again. Just an average Big Ten team and occasionally better is their ceiling.

Kansas’ defensive line might be the most underrated in the BigXII
They refused to get bullied by a much bigger stronger offensive line from South Dakota. Was really impressed after watching the coaches tape.

Depends what we are comparing them to. Will Nebraska and Miami ever be elite again? I tend to think Nebraska will not and Miami could be in some future evolution of the game like 6, 9 or 12 years from now maybe. If we are comparing them to what Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State have become - they will not unseat those teams.

But there is no reason Miami should not and can not be competitive vs the rest of the ACC outside of the very best team there right now and maybe further down the road, very far, they could emerge as a top team at some point. The recruiting base is so good and the other league competition is so average, I hold out hope that Miami might still find their way at some point.

I think it is much more difficult for Nebraska. I feel like Nebraska is a ship lost at sea and it has been a slow erosion of losing identity and losing recruiting areas they once had in Texas and California. Big Xll expansion hurt them. Moving to the Big Ten hurt them. Having no identity has hurt them. Losing so many close games has hurt them. Other teams in the Big Ten are who they should be (Wisconsin and Iowa). Maybe Nebraska can some day compete for divisional wins, but Nebraska will never matter nationally again. Just an average Big Ten team and occasionally better is their ceiling.
Regarding miami….. I feel like that university has put Athletics on the back burner starting with the Donna shalala years…. Their “home field” is an hour north of campus, they can barely get students to show up, the money invested is not nearly on the same level as programs with similar traditions, the alumni base never speaks up, frankly I think that university as a whole is apathetic at best towards athletics.

I was concerned about his appearance on the sideline. His face looked literally beat up.
Something is wrong. Maybe he’s taking steroids for a medical condition? He’s very puffy. Looked like he had not slept. Glad I was not only person to notice

Regarding miami….. I feel like that university has put Athletics on the back burner starting with the Donna shalala years…. Their “home field” is an hour north of campus, they can barely get students to show up, the money invested is not nearly on the same level as programs with similar traditions, the alumni base never speaks up, frankly I think that university as a whole is apathetic at best towards athletics.
I know it's private and think the student population is only 5k or so, even when they were competing for 'ships in the early 2000s they were vastly outnumbered. Not sure the fan base in the JJ years back when they had more of a cult following

Tulane and Northern Illinois were perhaps undervalued - Tulane has a nice little qb, physical team. NIU is not a bottom 10 team - they played a real hard schedule last year !

Speaking of MAC - watch out for Western Michigan wr injury - when that guy went out their offense changed. from slinging it around to waiving the white towel. Thought Western michigan had the worst coached performance of the day. Awful defensive scheme on a long pass play and head coach didn't think they had a shot to compete. I'm not sure I'm still impressed with michigan yet or their next opponent washington huskies -

Pac 12 is at least the second best conference and after bama and georgia has better teams then the SEC. UCLA, USC, Utah, Arizona State, Cal, Oregon is a good deep conference.

Carson Strong for heisman ? Think may go undefeated and nobody else looked good so far.

For Miami, how much has the change in the recruiting landscape hurt them? If I remember correctly, those championship teams were made up mostly of local guys. Now, every top program recruits south Florida. Probably wasn't that way even as recently as the early 2000s. Starting with Amari Cooper, it seems like Alabama has had at least one south florida area WR every year

San Jose defense held USC to just 13 points through 3 quarters, that was pretty impressive. Their receivers just couldn't get open vs that level of DB talent. San Jose TEs had some nice plays.

On one hand, I don't want to hold the close win vs UNI against Iowa State because knowing the history of those in-state Iowa schools, there have been a lot of close games and upsets among all of them. But on the other hand, it makes me think that really Iowa State gives you games and weeks like that a few times every year. Some weeks you get 40 point wins and they look like a top 5 team and other weeks they are struggling to get past a middle tier Big Xll team and their offense looks out of synch.

For Miami, how much has the change in the recruiting landscape hurt them? If I remember correctly, those championship teams were made up mostly of local guys. Now, every top program recruits south Florida. Probably wasn't that way even as recently as the early 2000s. Starting with Amari Cooper, it seems like Alabama has had at least one south florida area WR every year
Miami can't recruit because they have hired loser after loser to run the program into the ground. If they ever got serious and hired a good coach the recruiting would take care of itself.

On one hand, I don't want to hold the close win vs UNI against Iowa State because knowing the history of those in-state Iowa schools, there have been a lot of close games and upsets among all of them. But on the other hand, it makes me think that really Iowa State gives you games and weeks like that a few times every year. Some weeks you get 40 point wins and they look like a top 5 team and other weeks they are struggling to get past a middle tier Big Xll team and their offense looks out of synch.
I think Iowa State is a good buy low opportunity next week with how bad they looked and how dominant Iowa was against Indiana.

Clones played very vanilla. UNI was locked and loaded on stopping Breece and it was very effective, so many times Purdy could have held on to the ball for a bootleg where there was never anyone. The kind of thing that can be a real problem against a quality dog and no Kolar is a big deal. Pretty sure he plays next week. There was nothing flashy or momentum building about their play calling, that's for sure. Defense looked great per usual.

Already on Iowa next week at +6, always been on the dogs in the game which obviously means I'm most always on ISU. Not sure how not playing the game last season factors in...

Back