What have we learned so far in Week 1?

Minn had 1:30 on the clock, up 7-0, inside the 5. Held a -9.5 and over 13 1 qtr tickets. QB has to look over to the sideline 12 times after lining up. F'ing SLOWWWWW. Run the damn play.

I need to wait and make sure who the hell gonna play before betting props, what the coaches say the entire offseason means nothing! I don’t think they even know who gonna end up getting the touches! Or in Franklin case he just gonna keep trying a different rb every damn series, you never will improve your run game like that James!!

Oklahoma State didn't cover, but to me the score is misleading. Oklahoma State ran CMU out of the stadium. Going up 37-7 with four minutes left in the first half. CMU got a score to make it 37-15, so Ok State came back and went 75 yards in three plays to make it 44-15 at half. Then Ok State took the second half kickoff and went 55 yards in two plays to make it 51-15.

At that point the coaches tried to keep the Cowboys fired up, but they knew they had the game won. They never played with anything close to the same intensity after that

Minn had 1:30 on the clock, up 7-0, inside the 5. Held a -9.5 and over 13 1 qtr tickets. QB has to look over to the sideline 12 times after lining up. F'ing SLOWWWWW. Run the damn play.
Yeah…I had 1q over too…..I’m like WTF…..they had like 3 minutes to score and each play took 1 minute….smh…..

Then in the 3rd quarter…..they score towards end of quarter with over 40 secs to spare…..

Not gonna take teams up big at halftime in the 2nd half……they slow down towards end of games….

Yeah…I had 1q over too…..I’m like WTF…..they had like 3 minutes to score and each play took 1 minute….smh…..

Then in the 3rd quarter…..they score towards end of quarter with over 40 secs to spare…..

Not gonna take teams up big at halftime in the 2nd half……they slow down towards end of games….
Same. Looked at it and decided against it.

Last edited:
FCS teams in week 0 went 3-1 ATS vs FBS opponents
FCS teams in week 1 went 6-3 ATS vs FBS opponents* (not counting WF's 34 pt win over VMI as that could be scored a VMI or WF win as it was right at the number (33.5-34.5).

I'm sure it is always the case, but these lines are inflated for the FBS teams.

There have not been any FCS upsets of FBS teams yet this year, although 3 were very close last night (Bryant and St Francis both lost in OT and Portland St was right there with San Jose). There were 12 such upsets last year, half of which came in week 1, and tomorrow has a few scattered about with potential. Although, in fairness, in 2019 there were only 3, which was historically low.

Oklahoma State didn't cover, but to me the score is misleading. Oklahoma State ran CMU out of the stadium. Going up 37-7 with four minutes left in the first half. CMU got a score to make it 37-15, so Ok State came back and went 75 yards in three plays to make it 44-15 at half. Then Ok State took the second half kickoff and went 55 yards in two plays to make it 51-15.

At that point the coaches tried to keep the Cowboys fired up, but they knew they had the game won. They never played with anything close to the same intensity after that

That true but it crazy how fast that game turned, cmu was giving okie lite everything they wanted in that 1st qrtr but then cowboys pinned them deep w a punt back to them in 7-7 game, next thing ya know cowboys got a safety, scored a td right away on following drive and shit just snowballed for 2 qrtrs, okie lite offense was impressive, sanders looked pretty good, but I thought the d had drastically fell off from last year! Even when cowboys went on the crazy run it not like cmu wasn’t moving the ball, Richardson wasn’t having a lot of problems w that d, his completion percentage was thru the roof throughout the entire game. Just a few mistakes that killed drives during that stretch made the score lopsided, but watching I never felt like the CMU offense was overmatched., the d was another story, I was shocked to see cowboys offense look like that! Their overs could be plays early on if ppl still think of them as a defense 1st and running team!

Cowboys didn’t even have 20 rush attempts by running backs in a game they had a huge lead at one point! Not the team I expected to see.

Cowboys didn’t even have 20 rush attempts by running backs in a game they had a huge lead at one point! Not the team I expected to see.
Thats why they didn't cover. Doubt they employ the same game plan in more meaningful games

I learned that the CFP is going to expand to 12 teams in 2026, possibly as early as next season.

We've talked about it at length many times, and while many agree it needs to be more than 4, 12 seems like too many. Imagine top 4 get a bye in a 12 team scenario...still seems like too many.

Thats why they didn't cover. Doubt they employ the same game plan in more meaningful games

I feel ya but it odd they wouldn’t do it here since they need to find their next horse with what’s his face from last season gone. I’m not sure they will have the luxury, that d looked vulnerable! The front made a few plays and they clearly talented still but they did lose quite a bit off a veteran laden squad along w their dc.

Reactions: KJ
I learned that the CFP is going to expand to 12 teams in 2026, possibly as early as next season.

We've talked about it at length many times, and while many agree it needs to be more than 4, 12 seems like too many. Imagine top 4 get a bye in a 12 team scenario...still seems like too many.

Def too many but im all for more games to bet!!

last I read with 12 it would be 6 highest ranked conference winners and then next 6 highest ranked teams. Probably has changed though.

I learned that W. Virginia's team total over will be on my list most weeks. The Pitt defense was all over Daniels and they still looked very good on offense. This team will put up some points this year with the weapons they have!

Just imagine if ford-Wheaton could actually catch w his hands! (They win that game easy if he could! Dropped a easy bomb early then the int for td late right off his stone hands!! Kid needs to spend all day every day w the jugs machine and he a 1st round pick!).

I feel pretty proud I was on this coming in, long as Daniels can stay healthy (he took some shots but pitt dline the best they will see) they def gonna score some points.

Louisiana Tech D is undersized and will have more problems all season. They made some plays on offense but week in week out its not enough. Pass on them unless playing other weaker teams. Mizzu under-rated.

Indiana was very lucky being out-rushed so badly is ATS doom most times. Also a lucky break as ILL had a TD that should have counted.

Minnesota hard to tell so far but it was line up and destroy the weak in this game. Going forward they will do as they always do fail against the big boys.

Old Dominion Fans forgot that Virginia Tech has had a losing record 3 of the last 4 and probably will this year as well, but I loved seeing the fans storm the field and the enthusiasm as fans and players celebrated together. A lot of times a bunch of fans storm the field and it's just that - fans, but it's best when players are dancing with fans and taking selfies with fans. That is good stuff.

There might not be a coach in American who's coaching stock has plummeted like Charlotte's Will Healy's. From 7-6 in 2019 to 7-16 since including a 17 pt home loss to William & Mary. Charlotte was playing their 3rd string QB, but it wasn't generally the offense that was the problem in this game, the D is atrocious.

I learned that while it is nice having Phil Steele provide some FCS team page write ups online (I paid for his FCS online thing this year), I learned it is not very accurate. His write up said "Elliott should be Merrimack's first 3,000 yard passer during their FCS era." Sounded great. Except Westin Elliot tried turning pro after the 2021 season. It was part of what I liked about Merrimack vs Holy Cross last night. Thankfully they covered anyhow, although Merrimack lost by 14 catching over 3 TDs, the way the end ofthe game transpired, it was a little misleading as HC was in position to win by more than 3 TDs late, but they failed on a 4th down from the 20 and Merrimack got a garbage TD. Back to Phil, having a major player leave the team before the spring and you still say he is going to have a good season in your fall preview, that is a big miss and makes me question the reliability of the rest of the information in the FCS pages.

Lehigh offense has a pulse! In 2021 they scored 3 or fewer pts in half their games. They only scored 14 TDs all season, but scored 2 vs Villanova last night. And yes Villanova still looks good on D despite Lehigh finding some success. Might make Lehigh a little more competitive vs other bad teams like them and it looks as if they should contribue more points to the game totals this year. And new QB for Villanova, no problem (sets school passing record for QB making first career start).

Karl Dorrell short changed his team. Not only did they start the game with the wrong QB, Brenden Lewis, but after putting Strout in to close the 1H who clearly gave the O a spark and they moved the ball with potential, CU went back to Lewis to start the 2H and Strout didn't play again until the 4th Q. Or this may be more Mike Samford Jr mismanagement and general incompetence as he is known for. Looked like a really fantastic turnout in Boulder, with a good showing by TCU fans, but Buffs fans turned out in large numbers. With a team and coaching staff like they saw last night, few will return.

I watched some of the replay of Penn State - Purdue. So I learned that at some point during the game Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt became aware that Charlie Jones (WR Iowa transfer) had a nickname of "Chuck Sizzle". Let me tell you, as if Gus Johnson isn't annoying enough with his constant over the top broadcasting style, when he can't stop saying somebody's nickname every time the guy is on the screen it's a new level of "where is this mute button"

How bad must D'Wan Mathis be? He entered the transfer portal during the season at Temple, but comes back to Temple...I assume because nobody wanted him? To think this guy once upon a time was actually who Georgia was pinning their offense on!

FCS teams in week 0 went 3-1 ATS vs FBS opponents
FCS teams in week 1 went 6-3 ATS vs FBS opponents* (not counting WF's 34 pt win over VMI as that could be scored a VMI or WF win as it was right at the number (33.5-34.5).

I'm sure it is always the case, but these lines are inflated for the FBS teams.

There have not been any FCS upsets of FBS teams yet this year, although 3 were very close last night (Bryant and St Francis both lost in OT and Portland St was right there with San Jose). There were 12 such upsets last year, half of which came in week 1, and tomorrow has a few scattered about with potential. Although, in fairness, in 2019 there were only 3, which was historically low.

FCS is 11-5 ATS now vs FBS teams and there are some big name teams involved in today's games. There have actually been 17 games, but VMI/WF was within a .5 pt either way, depending on the line, either team could be counted the winner.

Fastest Michigan team I've seen... Defensively...

Iowa scored 7 points without a TD.

Notre Dame defense very good. Their offense, not good at all.

Georgia, wow.

UNC wild games are back!

Utah a damn good team, tough loss. Heck of a game.

Bama, rinse and repeat.

Nice gutty win Rutgers.

I wasn't expecting Cuse to blowout UL I mean, I didn't know what to expect, but that was at bottom of my list.

Ncst 2h was interesting.

Kaidon Salter looks like Liberty's QB going forward...Charlie Brewer has fractured hand and was also seen trying to secure a transfer to a different team for 2023

The "best" team in the PAC 12 lost to a middle of the pack SEC team. No disrespect, that was going to be a tough game and hard fought game. Hope they can recover, sometimes expectations and failing to live up to them can be quite a weight for teams not used to dealing with them.

South Carolina had two blk'd punts for TD

Wyoming D had a sack/fumble TD and their ST had a blk'd punt for TD. That was a crazy game.

Jacob Cowing of Arizona (formerly of UTEP) is the first P5 player have 3 TDs in debut with team since Crabtree did it at Texas Tech in 2007.

Iowa's punting 100% won the game for them. Sure it could be said that Iowa D won the game, but the field position that SD State routinely found themselves in led to mental mistakes and errors and the Iowa D just capitalized on what their punt team did for them. Tory Taylor is new "Punt God"

There is still big trouble in Lincoln...North Dakota had no business hanging like that. Maybe Nebraska was still jet lagged? Small miracle Nebraska covered their 2H number.

Depending on the line, Baylor either won or pushed their 1H line going for a TD with :00 on the clock from the 1 yard line, up 21, Aranda kept the O out there and they got a TD on an untimed down.

Wisconsin had I think a 100y, maybe a 99y pick-six when the game was 0-0 with Illinois St threatening to score first

Mercer back doored with under 1m left

Is it smart for for Power 5 teams to play GO5 teams, especially in-state rivals on the road? No. But does it make for entertaining games? Hell yes.

I hope with an expanded playoff we'll get more of these. The same goes for all these non-conference heavyweight battles.

Is it smart for for Power 5 teams to play GO5 teams, especially in-state rivals on the road? No. But does it make for entertaining games? Hell yes.

I hope with an expanded playoff we'll get more of these. The same goes for all these non-conference heavyweight battles.

I have to assume we will get less from the teams in the super conferences. If they keep a 12 game regular season schedule in leagues that now will have 16 or more teams, will there still be room on the schedule for group of 5 road games like that? Or will those spots get filled by more P5 conference games?

I’ve learned to never involve Notre Dame in a parlay whether with or against them. Last leg of a ten team parlay. Had Ohio St -15.5. I’ve totaled up my parlays that I’ve lost involving ND on the last leg the past four years and I’m 0-3 with a possible 32k in winnings. Did hit a 9 and 12 team ML parlay yesterday to be in the positive heading into week 2. Houston and NC State had me sweating more than I would have liked.

FCS is 11-5 ATS now vs FBS teams and there are some big name teams involved in today's games. There have actually been 17 games, but VMI/WF was within a .5 pt either way, depending on the line, either team could be counted the winner.

FBS teams flipped the script yesterday. FCS went 10-14 ATS Saturday and there was only one upset (Delaware). So that makes FCS through week 0 - week 1 21-19 ATS with two outright upsets (William & Mary and Delaware).

That's how they always play. Their primary strategy is to annoy their opponent.

Nebraska OL still their biggest issue. I think Thompson might be hurt again too. He had a hand thing last year that he played through. Limited him last year and during the spring. He threw the ball extremely well in the 1h vs NW and then he's looked very shaky since. Velocity looks way down, ball wobbles some.

Not entirely sure, but it looked like frost took over playcalling to at least some degree in the 2h. For 3 halves, we were chucking it around. 2h yesterday, we went ground and pound, ran some option, looked much more like last year's scheme. Anthony Grant looked great, going for 23/189 with 2 long TD runs. True frosh Ajay Allen has cemented himself as #2 RB - he's going to be a great player. Will set up well for the next coach.

Game looked like a total toss up to me. Neither team could stop the other the second half. Richardson is the truth.

AR15 is your early heisman favorite. Very special athlete

I think that a bit of a overreaction but he is clearly different than the other guys on the field. It was like watching younger kids play and there that one on the field who you can tell has a different level of talent and he just dominates the game!

I think Gators finally made the right coaching hire as well! I didn’t expect them to be the more physical team last night and I thought they often were! Whole team could be a lot better than we thought which would certainly propel his chances. How much have his odds moved? Some I would think, was he even on the board before last night?

I was going from game to game, but this was my instinct/gut on what I saw re these 2:

UTSA is legit again, well coached and has good team speed. Looking at Box Score they played as well, if not better than, U.H. I'd feel good if I had their RSW Over 8. Will look out for opportunities to bet them. They had a good ATS in 2021 and after last night and their remaining schedule in 2022, likely to be favored in most. UTSA has very good fan and media support in San Antonio area.

I do not have the depth of all of you, but I also like what I saw from Kent State when MAC comes around.

Unless I missed it, Arik Gilbert didn’t see the field for UGA yesterday. Is he hurt? If not, starting to feel like a wasted opportunity

I was going from game to game, but this was my instinct/gut on what I saw re these 2:

UTSA is legit again, well coached and has good team speed. Looking at Box Score they played as well, if not better than, U.H. I'd feel good if I had their RSW Over 8. Will look out for opportunities to bet them. They had a good ATS in 2021 and after last night and their remaining schedule in 2022, likely to be favored in most. UTSA has very good fan and media support in San Antonio area.

I do not have the depth of all of you, but I also like what I saw from Kent State when MAC comes around.

I didht get to see any but the defense had to make a pretty big leap from last season, sure didn’t expect them to hold UH to 24 points in regulation and only bout 330ish of offense!

I watched the majority of this game, the stadium was louder than I expected. They are a good team. Houston did not play badly, UTSA was just better for the majority of the game.

Back