What have we learned so far in Week 1?

I think that a bit of a overreaction but he is clearly different than the other guys on the field. It was like watching younger kids play and there that one on the field who you can tell has a different level of talent and he just dominates the game!

I think Gators finally made the right coaching hire as well! I didn’t expect them to be the more physical team last night and I thought they often were! Whole team could be a lot better than we thought which would certainly propel his chances. How much have his odds moved? Some I would think, was he even on the board before last night?
I don’t think he will win or actually is the betting favorite but you can’t tell me anyone had a more valuable performance than his in week 1!

Unless I missed it, Arik Gilbert didn’t see the field for UGA yesterday. Is he hurt? If not, starting to feel like a wasted opportunity
I dont remember how many snaps but he did have a block that sprung Milton for a TD. But you're right, that's all I remember of him.

I know he got in a car wreck a few days ago, but was at practice that pm.

Arkansas Is pretty much exactly the same as last year, I thought Barry Odem was a great hire as dc but he must be fucking awful when it comes to adjusting after teams make halftime adjustments!! I don’t even want to think about how many times last year I bet a ark under and watched the 1st half play way under only for the game to turn into a freaking video game in the 2nd!

I must have totally blocked that shit out cause it didn’t even cross my mind I shoulda played 1st half under yesterday instead of game! It all came flooding back to me when ark scored that late td before half and all a sudden I started getting a queazy feeling! Sure as shit they come out of half and here comes the freaking video game! 40 points to work with and they combine to score 41!! After a 14-0 1st half! I’d be shocked if it didn’t happen so often last year, still pissed me off something serious!! Won’t make that mistake again, 1sy half under, 2nd half over with these pricks (if it a under kinda game matchup of course!)

Other than that I thought arky looked pretty good. I expected they should be able to take a page out of bama playbook in the playoffs and just bully cincy with all the beef they have up front and they did that. Jefferson might have some flaws but he also has a great knack for making plays when they need them, that can mask a lot! I’m not sure if they have a suitable replacement for Burkes? The passing game was fine but cincy corners were the part of this team I had no question was gonna fall off! Not many teams outside bama/Uga can lose 2 high level NFL corners and not miss a beat! In the second half I thought Bryant threw the ball better than Ridder so that something, cincy could find themselves in some higher scoring games, of course they not gonna face many more offensive lines that can manhandle them like Arky did.

Last edited:
I'm not a Heisman guy in terms of betting people or caring much about it, but if we were talking about week 1 guys who helped their cause...if Georgia keeps doing what they should (win) and if Bennett can come close to being as efficient as he was...hell he even had some highlights of his own - I'm not sure Richardson is even the Heisman favorite in his own division of the SEC with Bennett is around. Plus the media is going to continue to love the story as he keeps winning - he'll get plenty of attention.

I was going from game to game, but this was my instinct/gut on what I saw re these 2:

UTSA is legit again, well coached and has good team speed. Looking at Box Score they played as well, if not better than, U.H. I'd feel good if I had their RSW Over 8. Will look out for opportunities to bet them. They had a good ATS in 2021 and after last night and their remaining schedule in 2022, likely to be favored in most. UTSA has very good fan and media support in San Antonio area.

I do not have the depth of all of you, but I also like what I saw from Kent State when MAC comes around.

Agree with both.

I'm not a Heisman guy in terms of betting people or caring much about it, but if we were talking about week 1 guys who helped their cause...if Georgia keeps doing what they should (win) and if Bennett can come close to being as efficient as he was...hell he even had some highlights of his own - I'm not sure Richardson is even the Heisman favorite in his own division of the SEC with Bennett is around. Plus the media is going to continue to love the story as he keeps winning - he'll get plenty of attention.

Agreed. Not factoring in odds (I have no clue what they are, im same bout not caring or paying attention) I would be way quicker to put money on Bennett.

I don’t think he will win or actually is the betting favorite but you can’t tell me anyone had a more valuable performance than his in week 1!

Bennett was super impressive but I mean ducks scored 3 points so prob not that valuable. Not saying Stroud had a better performance but the throws he made when osu needed them were equally as valuable in their win were they not? Im sure I can find others, Ahlers for ecu should have beat ncst, that don’t happen without him.

Im not trying to argue against you. AR15 was as good As anyone and no way his team wins without him but he gonna have to do that a lot in the sec to get that kinda love, plus gators will have to win a bunch which is certainly possible I think. Regardless he was great last night, no question.

Vanderbilt led 28-10 HT and 35-10 3rd Q, but the final was 42-31 and Vandy (-18/20) failed to cover

The punter for Iowa did

Jeez, I just saw the iowa score for 1st time. That had to have been bout as exciting as watching paint dry! Holy shit, I assumed iowa got 1 td, they got a fg and 2 safeties? Wow, im assuming the punter pinned South Dakota st back inside the 5 a few times?

Dunno if I ever seen a team get 2 safeties in a game? Surely it had happened but maybe not in long long time?

Jeez, I just saw the iowa score for 1st time. That had to have been bout as exciting as watching paint dry! Holy shit, I assumed iowa got 1 td, they got a fg and 2 safeties? Wow, im assuming the punter pinned South Dakota st back inside the 5 a few times?

Tory Taylor had a 47.9 average on 10 punts with 7 downed inside the 20, 5 of those inside the 10 and 3 of those inside the 5.

I don't know if South Dakota State could've done much with better field position, but very clearly them being pinned back continually effected their mental capability (lots of presnap penalties for their O) and it allowed the Iowa D to get after them and produce those two safeties. I've never actually seen a punter be more meaningful in the outcome of a game. Even with shorter punts and fewer downed inside 5, Iowa might not get those safeties and they might still be playing an overtime game right now tied 3-3.

Georgia State led 14-12 mid 3rd Q, lost 14-35 thanks to those aforementioned 2 blk'd punts. I hate it when dogs like that fail to cover

I hate when a team I bet has a super long delay then before I realize game started they down 38-0!!! How does the coach let that happen? after they fell way down to byu early last season also before coming back!! They call bunch of girls into locker room to entertain everyone while they waited? Possibly drank and did blow? Freaking bull shit, you know they can’t possibly be that bad and were just totally unprepared to play after the delay.

I wasn’t impressed with Arkansas secondary at all. They seemed slow and if Bryant has any accuracy at all in the first half they lead by two Td’s. Arkansas seems like a 7-5/8-4 team to me this year. They will be exposed by an accurate or fairly accurate QB. Tempted to take South Carolina and the points this week or the over in that game.

Moving the ball wasn't a problem for Northern Iowa vs Air Force...scoring points and defense was. UNI gained 198 yards in the 1H at AF but only netted 3 points (INT and fumble on back-to-back possessions including the fumble inside the AF 5 that the announcers both thought the QBs knee was down). That being said, the UNI D got blown off the field (AF ran for 582).

UC Davis had 186 yards in the 1H but only 7 pts as they were SOD twice in Cal territory, once at the C11 and once inside of 1minute before HT. The latter incident occurred with :36 and at the C34 and 4 plays later Cal was able to get in position for a FG as time expired in the 2nd Q which allowed them to cover the -8 1H spread. In the 2H UC Davis threw a pick-six and missed a FG in the 13-34 loss (barely went over 44 total). Cal only outgained them by 28 yards.

AFter Stanford got up 7-0 on long TD run, they muffed a punt (Colgate missed FG, actually their second miss), then Stanford fumbled their next possession near midfield, then Stanford muffed the next punt which Colgate fell on in the EZ for a TD. muff-fumble-muff, 3 muffs/fumbles in succession. Stanford outgained them 338-91 1H, but only led 28-7 HT. I had Tree -26 1H

Stanford only rushed for 169 on 28att. They had a 87y TD run, so that would make the other 27att for just 87y (3.03).

Last edited:
I watched the majority of this game, the stadium was louder than I expected. They are a good team. Houston did not play badly, UTSA was just better for the majority of the game.
Haven't looked but played them a bunch last year and yesterday. Odds to win the conference are still probably pretty lucrative. This is what happens when a large city like SA has no real local team to root for. Probably a tough ticket if they're doin well at the end of October.

Ags run blocking was horrible.
Achane never had a place to run.
King had great stats, but those were long hits that padded the yardage.
He had to throw on the run quite a bit.
Defensive line was killler. Never blitzed and were in the backfield every play.
the wr's can blaze if they want to.
we decide on a QB that can hit them, it'll be sweet

I didn’t watch but listened to someone I respect say king was and is gonna be awful.

Im Sure ags o-line was way way bigger than Sam houston st defensive front? Guess it coulda been a situation where smaller quicker guys caused them problems but still gotta be a concern cause they shoulda mauled a team like Sam Houston st!

One more observation. You can count on Boston College. They are consistently mediocre and inconsistent - dependable in that way

The reason I liked under and was skeptical of them is they lost a ton off the oline, several guys now in the nfl and the one returning guy who will be in the nfl next hurt himself in spring and out for the year. This coach has good track record w building lines but they lost a lot (3 nfl guys w fhe injury), that a lot to replace! I’d imagine they get better as the year goes on but they had no ability to run the ball. under 30 net yards if count the sack yardage! Against what i assume a not really good Rutgers run d!

On the bright side jurkovic looked to have the arm strength that was non existent when he rushed bavk from injury last year and looked awful, he needs to clean up the mistakes tho! Hmm The d held Rutgers to 110 passing yards in a game they were behind a great deal of, that part good but don’t think Rutgers qbs very good? Lol

Im Sure ags o-line was way way bigger than Sam houston st defensive front? Guess it coulda been a situation where smaller quicker guys caused them problems but still gotta be a concern cause they shoulda mauled a team like Sam Houston st!
no SHSU is no slouch. THey weren't smaller.

There's plenty of film on Jimbo's offense. They attacked it.
Good call by them. Still, they lost by 31.
I haven't looked at the line but I don't expect AppySt to put 61 up on the Ags.
so their TT is something i'll look at.

no SHSU is no slouch. THey weren't smaller.

There's plenty of film on Jimbo's offense. They attacked it.
Good call by them. Still, they lost by 31.
I haven't looked at the line but I don't expect AppySt to put 61 up on the Ags.
so their TT is something i'll look at.

I didnt say they were slouches but looking at the depth chart it looks like they have a whole bunch of kids in the 230-250 range on the d-line, I know ags oline sporting bunch of 300+ pound gorillas! Sometimes it harder for huge oline to deal w smaller quicker d’s but seems like ya’ll shoulda been able to run for 200+ on them.

These coaches get paid millions and many are such idiots. Norvell almost cost FSU that game. I won't even mention his going for it on 4th and long vs. taking the FG at the end of the 1H. But that end of game decision at 1:23 left to do a pitch to the RB at the 1 was simply unbelievable. Have QB run or handoff up the middle - get the TD game over. Get stopped you make LSU use their final TO, kick the FG to go up 10 with 1 minute left, and kick deep - game over. Just WOW on the stupidity. I had FSU +3.5 and also played LSU +7.5 live so I hit both. So I'm not angry at losing. Just couldn't believe what I was watching. Sadly, see it all the time.

AFter Stanford got up 7-0 on long TD run, they muffed a punt (Colgate missed FG, actually their second miss), then Stanford fumbled their next possession near midfield, then Stanford muffed the next punt which Colgate fell on in the EZ for a TD. muff-fumble-muff, 3 muffs/fumbles in succession. Stanford outgained them 338-91 1H, but only led 28-7 HT. I had Tree -26 1H

Stanford only rushed for 169 on 28att. They had a 87y TD run, so that would make the other 27att for just 87y (3.03).
surprised this line sitting at 8 this week with usc ?

Just imagine if ford-Wheaton could actually catch w his hands! (They win that game easy if he could! Dropped a easy bomb early then the int for td late right off his stone hands!! Kid needs to spend all day every day w the jugs machine and he a 1st round pick!).

I feel pretty proud I was on this coming in, long as Daniels can stay healthy (he took some shots but pitt dline the best they will see) they def gonna score some points.
What I saw from Daniels is he is a very limited qb. If WV can't run, watch out. Pitt not stopping that RB was the reason why WV was in the game. Daniels is not good.

Oh man, but how many times do we see teams get criticized for taking their foot off the gas pedal. No matter which alternative you elect, you'll get criticized if you lose and praised if you win.
Totally agree. Criticize Purdue all you want but there were twice as many teams that "burned clock" and basically voluntaily gave the ball back to teams only to have the same fate as Purdue. Making teams burn clock and use timeouts is severely overrated because in college, most teams usually need neither to score. How many times do you see teams drive for Field Goals or even TDs in 20 seconds or less with no timeouts? Get more points, or get 1 first down on offense and end it.

The final score of that Iowa game should have been 3-(-1). Take points away from the offense on a safety. Defensive PPG look better, plus the offenses should get penalized for that.

A few thoughts:

I'm biased, but Illinois had 4 points stolen from them on that Hightower catch, and they ended up losing by 3. I still have no idea how they could rule otherwise because the ball never hit the ground on the initial catch, and when the DB ripped it out as they were getting up, Hightower grabbed it before it hit the ground and had both feet still in. You had to look for ways to overturn that, and you still couldn't find any. I'll be interested in what the Big Ten says about it.

Everyone will be clowning Iowa for that offensive performance, and with good reason because Petras and that offense are still an embarrassment, but nobody is going to score on Iowa's defense this year. Keep that in mind if you plan to fade them.

Cowing, Singer and McMillan from Arizona are going to be a LOAD to cover/defend against. DeLaura isn't great throwing downfield, but their offense is hyper-improved. I would draft Cowing before almost everyone else if I needed a receiver in next year's draft.

VT needs to find a QB.

If you fade Schiano when he's on the road, you're being foolish. There are better plays on the board.

Robert Anae seems to know what he's doing, huh? I liked Syracuse in that game against Louisville, but I was gun shy because I was afraid the parts were totally mismatched. I've always liked Schrader and Tucker in the run game, but I thought they'd be much less effective in a downfield passing attack. Anae was all about the deep ball at Virginia with Armstrong, but he settled in very nicely and made Schrader look great regardless of what he was doing

Drake Maye is a positive for sure. I thought he looked better than Howell looked, at least last year.

Can Tulsa's pass defense be that bad? They gave up 8.5 yards per pass attempt to Andrew Peasley. After watching Wyoming in week 0, I didn't think Peasley could do that against a bunch of tackling dummies.

Rattler looks pretty much the same. South Carolina was in a total dogfight until they got those TWO blocked punt TDs. Barely 6 yards per attempt for Rattler with 2 picks. Not good.

Good on ND, but they have a low ceiling with Buchner at QB

I made the assumption that Utah is well coached on defense, and I was proven wrong on that. Blown containment all night as if they were completely ignorant of the concept. That's true for everyone else too, but I thought Utah was different. Nope.

I'll probably think of more later but that's what I have off the top of my head.

The UGA offense will be a lot more explosive than last year and there might be more high level talent on defense this year also.

The schedule is also very managable. Should not be a game that is below 14 points.

Unless I missed it, Arik Gilbert didn’t see the field for UGA yesterday. Is he hurt? If not, starting to feel like a wasted opportunity

He played. I think he changed numbers. The two guys ahead of him are monsters. Him and Delp (the number 1 TE out of HS for this year) got in late. I think he was also a little sore from a car accident and they were taking it slow with him.

surprised this line sitting at 8 this week with usc ?

I haven't looked at lines yet, but yes that looks like a low number.

I did not watch the Stanford game, but had interest in it. Losing 3 possessions in a row hurt their O (the back-to-back muffed punts with a Smith fumble sandwiched in the middle). So I think without those mistakes they gain even more yards and score more points in the 1H to make it look more impressive. The final really isn't impressive given the opponent and point spread expectations. Smith hasn't ever really impressed and I'm skeptical if he will be good enough this year at RB. But otherwise I think Stanford passing game and receivers are good enough, OL likely good enough.

Problem with Stanford these days is how poorly their D is playing. That is where I would want to look from a Stanford perspective...I don't think USC and Caleb Williams is as unstoppable as their first game might indicate. Historically and traditionally Stanford would be a great test for USC. These days?

Teams that can get a bunch of QB pressure and teams that can push the USC defenders around are the ones that do best vs them. Is Stanford still that team?

I did watch some of the Rice game until it was a blowout. Rice had a bunch of early success on O even though USC was way faster, Rice moved the ball on them. I was too distracted to see how exactly USC stopped that from happening, I just know it didn't last and USC just crushed them from some time late in the 1H til the end.

Rice should provide USC with a good warm-up vs Stanford. Stanford is just a bigger version of Rice so Trojans should be plenty prepared. Not sure if Bloomgren and Shaw exchange notes this week or not.

What I saw from Daniels is he is a very limited qb. If WV can't run, watch out. Pitt not stopping that RB was the reason why WV was in the game. Daniels is not good.

I thought Daniels was pretty good last week. Maybe the run game softened the Pitt D, but Pitt's DL is supposed to be among the best in the country, so if WVU could run on them, they should be able to run pretty well on most teams.

As far as Sam Houston goes, they are normally a good team. But I was under the impression this was a rebuilding year...and the point spread and the ascension of that point spread throughout the week reflected that. I looked into it, didn't play them, but thinking Texas A&M is overhyped and Sam Houston is a perennial FCS playoff team, might be good value to pick them up and all those points. But then I read up on them. Their DL was supposed to be their weakest and least experienced unit on their D (both OL and DL were expected to be down). But, I don't think any of us are overly familiar with them. Maybe they have great coaches and develop their recruits to perform to a certain level? I think it is surprising given who A&M should be against what Sam Houston was supposed to have. If this was last year's Sam Houston team, I would expect them to have scored some points, and with a strong D from 2021 some of the A&M O running game struggles might be more justified. We won't really know though until this result can be duplicated. Will A&M OL disappoint again this week or will Sam Houston again over achieve with their D? Actually this Sam Houston and Norther Arizona game could be pretty good, not sure I can devote time to watch it, but having seen some of each last week I am curious to see how they perform this week.

Totally agree. Criticize Purdue all you want but there were twice as many teams that "burned clock" and basically voluntaily gave the ball back to teams only to have the same fate as Purdue. Making teams burn clock and use timeouts is severely overrated because in college, most teams usually need neither to score. How many times do you see teams drive for Field Goals or even TDs in 20 seconds or less with no timeouts? Get more points, or get 1 first down on offense and end it.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Really felt like Brohm and OC should have at least tried to run the extended running play with quick pass to the edge to try and burn up some clock, or at least run a draw play there in some of those situations. Imo just horrendous clock management in a game they have to shorten at that point. You absolutely have to run the ball there, and then take your shot to make a first down. The added time/opportunity etc. for PST was huge there and they should have never been able to run that many plays. It was an excruciating loss for the Boilers especially with that last play being so open and underthrown where a FD ends the game.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Really felt like Brohm and OC should have at least tried to run the extended running play with quick pass to the edge to try and burn up some clock, or at least run a draw play there in some of those situations. Imo just horrendous clock management in a game they have to shorten at that point. You absolutely have to run the ball there, and then take your shot to make a first down. The added time/opportunity etc. for PST was huge there and they should have never been able to run that many plays.
As long as the goal is still to get the first down, and not to just voluntarily give up the possession by running three line plunges just to burn clock and give it back to them, I agree. If you think the draw and the "pass to run" short throws can get you yards, and at the same time burn some clock I'm fine with that. I just hate it when teams don't even try to get a first down when one or two first down effectively ends the game.

As for Purdue, as a guy holding a Purdue ticket, I knew there was no way 31 points was going to win that game. Purdue needed to score on either of those late 4Q drives. I realize Penn State had plenty of time to score on that last drive, but in college, 30 seconds and no time outs is enough time to score. Penn State proved that in the first half.

ECU kicker needs witness protection program, just terrible for that kid....

Norvell made some horrible decisions and got lucky at the end...

Who would believe you could win an under when GA posts 49?

Coastal Car runs 69 plays to 45 for Army, 36-24 TOP

As long as the goal is still to get the first down, and not to just voluntarily give up the possession by running three line plunges just to burn clock and give it back to them, I agree. If you think the draw and the "pass to run" short throws can get you yards, and at the same time burn some clock I'm fine with that. I just hate it when teams don't even try to get a first down when one or two first down effectively ends the game.

As for Purdue, as a guy holding a Purdue ticket, I knew there was no way 31 points was going to win that game. Purdue needed to score on either of those late 4Q drives. I realize Penn State had plenty of time to score on that last drive, but in college, 30 seconds and no time outs is enough time to score. Penn State proved that in the first half.
Brass I agree with you for the most part, especially about how lucky Penn St. was especially in 1h. It is just very frustrating to see a team at crunch time not be able to put the game away. I felt like they could still be aggressive trying to get a first down but at the same time be prudent with the clock management and essentially shorten the game when they had the lead. I think Purdue is a good team, but they need some kind of running game to employ at the end of games for effective clock management.

Klubnik is such a big upgrade over Uiagalelei. Decision-making. Arm strength. Accuracy. And wait till you see Klubnik out in the open field.

Swinney is stubborn so it's not surprising to see him sticking with things. But at some point he'll have to give in, I guess.

I really can’t take much from him on that td drive after tech had already given up but he can def spin it and seemed like a pretty smooth runner on that sprint out throw. I dunno how tigers can stick w DJ? I kinda hope they do cause it will be much easier to take points against them long as DJ qb and they have to win w d! If they wanna run the table in acc they have to switch, I havnt seen the other kid against a real and interested d yet but I know they not running table w DJ, that pretty much a lock imo.

Klubnik is such a big upgrade over Uiagalelei. Decision-making. Arm strength. Accuracy. And wait till you see Klubnik out in the open field.

Swinney is stubborn so it's not surprising to see him sticking with things. But at some point he'll have to give in, I guess.
I came away feeling completely the same way. U is very stiff back there, just doesn't seem to have the natural feel for the position.

Gotta play Clemson games live I guess…..gotta see how DJ starts the games and go from there…..could get better line if he struggles out the gate……

Gotta play Clemson games live I guess…..gotta see how DJ starts the games and go from there…..could get better line if he struggles out the gate……

Think I’ll stick w opposing team total unders, kinda like i did w Uga a lot last year, long as DJ not turning it over that d isn’t giving up many points! although there are a few acc teams I think may be able to score on them later in the year.,

Think I’ll stick w opposing team total unders, kinda like i did w Uga a lot last year, long as DJ not turning it over that d isn’t giving up many points! although there are a few acc teams I think may be able to score on them later in the year.,
I hate playing unders…..I’m an Over guy…..
But when I play MLB ….I can take the Unders….

Back