What have we learned so far in Week 1?

Brass I agree with you for the most part, especially about how lucky Penn St. was especially in 1h. It is just very frustrating to see a team at crunch time not be able to put the game away. I felt like they could still be aggressive trying to get a first down but at the same time be prudent with the clock management and essentially shorten the game when they had the lead. I think Purdue is a good team, but they need some kind of running game to employ at the end of games for effective clock management.
I don't disagree and I still need to watch it all back even if I don't want to but even if it didn't work Brohm tried some of that I felt like....

First drive starting at 6 minutes or so Purdue moved the ball with 2 passing first downs (on deep balls I think after some short stuff didn't work credit to Porter, Jr I'm assuming)

from mid field Purdue dialed up a TE screen that I think had life but had some bad luck on a chop block where an OL fell the wrong way (right call but bad luck) and unraveled the drive after 2 more short passing attempts went incomplete. I think this is the most glaring spot (after the penalty put them in a 2nd and 25) where you could say they could've went with more screens or just ran the ball to use clock or force PSU to use a TO but you've still got 4 minutes plus left at this point

Last drive starting at 4 minutes or so......

1 yd pass (complete)
another short passing attempt broken up by Porter, Jr (maybe another clue here to simply go away from Porter if possible......)
17 yard pass (complete) for a first down
4 yd (running)
incomplete pass (first originally called a catch) overturned to TE Durham which would've iced the game
and an underthrown ball to a wide open receiver by AOC allowed PSU's DB to catch up just in time and break it up which would've (should've) ended the game

in the end i'm not sure what to think but don't really have many stones to throw looking back at the play calling other than maybe a tip of the cap to Porter or maybe Purdue was a bit too bold continuing to go at him in the 4th.

Closing out games against defenses of that caliber will no doubt be an issue for Purdue all year unfortunately....reminds me of the early Brees years (98, 99....yes i'm old)

Last edited:
I came away feeling completely the same way. U is very stiff back there, just doesn't seem to have the natural feel for the position.

Yeah, that's the concern. Looks like the same player who had issues a year ago. No real progress / improvement.

I hate playing unders…..I’m an Over guy…..
But when I play MLB ….I can take the Unders….

You will like my pitcher k props then, all overs! It crazy, I been way more under than over guy my whole life, for some reason it just easier for me to pick out low scoring games, obviously the fact lots of ppl are same as you a play overs helps me. Then I start betting props last year and even when I know there a absolute under play I mostly just pass, love the overs with the props! It’s like I finally got to unleash the “square” in me that been suppressed all these years! Lol. I was proud of myself hitting Travis under rush yards the other night! It wasn’t very fun, or easy!!!!!

I didn't see much college football. Some takeaways of what I watched

LSU - FSU : For the first time in awhile, I feel like FSU is really well coached and has good QB play. They won't convert third downs at that pace the rest of the year but they will also likely have more big plays. LSU is still in infancy stages with respect to the offense. They appeared to be running the M Brown offense when Vince Young was there except they have a good player that is NOT Vince Young. They lacked identity and looked to either lack a cohesive offense or the QB doesn't run it well yet. Obviously they had some special teams issues that played a huge role in that game. LSU rates to improve a lot more than FSU does as the year goes on so while FSU was the deserved winner (imo) of that game, by year end I would expect LSU to be the better team.

ND-TOSU : Just looked like two really solid teams to me. I worry about Ohio State offensive line against good defenses. I worry about the tunnel vision on passing plays for ND. Defensive lines and schemes looked solid. Room for improvement for both but both looked solid.

ODU -VT : VT the much better team in that one. Neither team looked very good and I cannot see them competing well against the better offenses that the defenses will face.

That is all I got to see this past week. I might catch a game or two a week. My 12 year old has a junior high game tonight. Go Hawks! On top of that all of them are cowboys fans so that is the game i get to watch with them, as they are not into cfb yet. Some day ....

LSU - FSU : For the first time in awhile, I feel like FSU is really well coached and has good QB play. They won't convert third downs at that pace the rest of the year but they will also likely have more big plays. LSU is still in infancy stages with respect to the offense. They appeared to be running the M Brown offense when Vince Young was there except they have a good player that is NOT Vince Young. They lacked identity and looked to either lack a cohesive offense or the QB doesn't run it well yet. Obviously they had some special teams issues that played a huge role in that game. LSU rates to improve a lot more than FSU does as the year goes on so while FSU was the deserved winner (imo) of that game, by year end I would expect LSU to be the better team.

ND-TOSU : Just looked like two really solid teams to me. I worry about Ohio State offensive line against good defenses. I worry about the tunnel vision on passing plays for ND. Defensive lines and schemes looked solid. Room for improvement for both but both looked solid.

ODU -VT : VT the much better team in that one. Neither team looked very good and I cannot see them competing well against the better offenses that the defenses will face.

That is all I got to see this past week. I might catch a game or two a week. My 12 year old has a junior high game tonight. Go Hawks! On top of that all of them are cowboys fans so that is the game i get to watch with them, as they are not into cfb yet. Some day ....

I was massively impressed with fsu, particularly the strides Travis has seemed to make at QB, I’ve never seen him in such command of the offense and being more of a passer than a runner (the opposite of Daniels), also thought fsu oline held up really well, that was one area I was confident lsu should be good was their dline, they did get some pressure but Travis was again fantastic and where his athleticism came thru as they were never able to actually bring him down, he escaped and mostly still made plays down the field. I was so impressed w him and the line. I think they are way better than I thought they would be and think it sustainable because of how it looked. Not saying the winning the acc but nobody gonna be happy to see them like years past!!! Looks like Norvell is getting close to the end the storm of crap he inherited! Hopefully they don’t do something dumb and give up on him if the record isn’t great, think they getting much closer!

Washington: Night and day difference on offense compared to last year -- Pennix looked really, really good. That said, the offensive line did not overwhelm Kent State and this worries me a bit -- have to see them really dominate this week against Port State to feel better. Defense was surprisingly poor and gave up some really big play -- most alarming was Kent State's 3rd down conversions (10-17). Schlee looked pretty good against us (kid is pretty good Imo). Of course it was a super-solid win/cover, but the defense has me concerned. I think we should be able to score at will against Port State this weekend, but worried about garbage TDs with a 30+ point spread.

Washington: Night and day difference on offense compared to last year -- Pennix looked really, really good. That said, the offensive line did not overwhelm Kent State and this worries me a bit -- have to see them really dominate this week against Port State to feel better. Defense was surprisingly poor and gave up some really big play -- most alarming was Kent State's 3rd down conversions (10-17). Schlee looked pretty good against us (kid is pretty good Imo). Of course it was a super-solid win/cover, but the defense has me concerned. I think we should be able to score at will against Port State this weekend, but worried about garbage TDs with a 30+ point spread.

Was Pennix playing hurt his last year at Indy? He was a shell of what he was previously, I almost laughed when I heard he was starting for ya’ll but seems he might have worked out the issues he had going on, or simply recovered to 100%!

Maybe the over is the better play?

This is a rather amazing box score. Lafayette was +6.5/7 at home vs Sacred Heart. Lafayette won 6-0. Have you ever seen a team with a 8-18 FD deficit, a 113-310 TY deficit and a team that was 1-of-13 3rd downs win a game? Lafayette had 8 yards passing on 8 completions (17 attempts)! Oh and they threw 2 INTs! That is some shit right there. Their longest drive of the game only went 26 yards. They got their TD after Sacred Heart was forced to punt from their own EZ, a 20-something yard return set them up, but even that wasn't a gimmie. Lafayette had a 3rd and 30 on that possession but a personal foul bailed them out and they went on for that TD, the only score of the game. Sacred Heart fumbled at the L16, L38 and were at the L01 at the end of the game when time ran out (2 passes from the L01 and a final play rush was stopped). Lafayette is at Temple this week, early line shows 18.5.

Time to post my ........

LOL here's a good one, errors on the play-by-play...an 83y FG attempt...on 2nd down none the less in the 1st Q

Hampton drive start at 10:02.
1st and 10 at HAM22
No Huddle-Shotgun Mays,Malcolm sacked for loss of 5 yards to the HAM27 (Seraphin,Jason, Stewart,Jamel).
2nd and 5 at HAM27
Perez,Axel field goal attempt from 83 yards NO GOOD (H: Ethan,Lester, LS: Richards,Brandon), clock 09:10, End
Of Play.

Back