What did we learn after week 4 of Ncaaf

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
people need to learn not to go overboard on a team that went 7-6 the previous season (and 3-5 in conference) because they beat Iowa in the TaxSlayer Bowl

people need to learn not to go overboard on a team that went 7-6 the previous season (and 3-5 in conference) because they beat Iowa in the TaxSlayer Bowl

Or a team that lost it's last 4 conference games, and it's bowl, and then lost it's QB, top 2 RBs, top WR and TE.

i also learned that I know shit about betting the Pac 12. I mean I knew it, but today just rubbed my nose in it

Feel like I have a great feel for sec this season. Pac 12 is weird this season.

More tomorrow...

But this has the makings of a weird-ass year...

Utah is good, real good and I thought that before tonight but man has anyone seen UO get throttled like that at Autzen in last 15 years? I cannot remember.

Still cannot believe OSU/MSU are 1 and 2...OSU missing some cohesion. Seems like CUM's teams there get better after September though. Sparty will still go 10-2 or 11-1 just due to how bad conference is. Coming off first good bowl season in awhile, it i bad in the Big ten.

Ole Miss still real good, that was a huge letdown game.

Sleepy game for LSU, noon start at Carrier. It happens.

BYU players and coaches called UM best team they have faced then we see what UCLA did to Rich and company...

Situational capping ftw!

I too have no idea how TAMU wins that game. But, fuck fat Bret.

This is gonna be a fun few months with lots of ebs and flows...

Michigan State outgained again

a deaf, dumb and blind guy with no arms would be a better starting QB at Purdue. I think Maty Mauk fits that descrition

The Arizona schools suck and had no business ever being ranked.

But now we're going to have to hype up the LA schools because of last night.

I was shocked to see UCLA bounce back like that last night. That close call against BYU must have got their attention. PAC 12 south not as tough as the last two years and the north is Stanford's for the taking if they keep playing the way Stanford is built to play. Oregon will still be a player in the north, they are not as bad as last night's effort.

The level of play is down significantly this year as a whole. Zero doubt about that.

I think Houston might be good guys.

GT offensive line might not be as good as I previously thought. They still cannot pass when they need to and even though I like Thomas and think he is a decent thrower for the option .. his midget status makes that kind of difficult. Other coaches should watch what Duke/Cutcliffe was doing defensively. he had a rover type player that was acting as a missile into the option attack. It was very effective.

VT is an over team, not an under team.

UConn is well coached fundamentally. They are playing hard, tackling and blocking ... they just don't have players. I can say similar things for UTSA.

Didn't just learn this ... but the team speed for Kansas as a whole is pathetic.. both offensively and defensively. Offensive scheme is good though if they can get some players in there before the coaches are fired prematurely (again)

Even on the road against a terrible Syracuse team, Les was unwilling to let Harris attempt to make plays. It is very telling. He has no confidence in this team. They are going to have problems against teams that can stop the run left.

Looks like USM might be pretty good. Showed a lot of heart yesterday too which shows they think they are good. Some of the usm teams of two years ago or so would quit.

North Texas needs a new coach. This guy has been the biggest disappointment in coaching in awhile. All I heard was how good he was but this program is in shambles right now. Need some new blood.

Reynolds may have been playing hurt last year. He seemed to have lost a step last year but he seems to have it back this year. Of all the option teams, this team seems to be running the most like a well oiled machine.

Tip of the cap to Kill ... how many games is this team going to win that they don't deserve to?

ODU going through offensive growing pains while they are changing styles. 0-3 ATS now to the close and would have lost to Eastern Michigan if they hadn't injured the QB.

I don't think tackling is taught anymore.

Ags got more beef than normal, but still can get outmuscled.
O line not as good as years past, any Ag forum will tell you that. We also haven't had faith in Bart to kick a gw FG. Proved out last night.
WR's are just great. Kyle Allen was really on last night, when he had time.

On Arky, this is two years in a row. Being big and punishing, they themselves run out of gas.

Yeah, tackling? What's that?

Tom Herman is both positively and negatively affecting two teams. His play calling is the disconnect in tOSU. Conversely is killing it at Houston. Houston is one to keep your eyes on.

The level of play is down significantly this year as a whole. Zero doubt about that.

GT offensive line might not be as good as I previously thought. They still cannot pass when they need to and even though I like Thomas and think he is a decent thrower for the option .. his midget status makes that kind of difficult. Other coaches should watch what Duke/Cutcliffe was doing defensively. he had a rover type player that was acting as a missile into the option attack. It was very effective.

UConn is well coached fundamentally. They are playing hard, tackling and blocking ... they just don't have players. I can say similar things for UTSA.

Didn't just learn this ... but the team speed for Kansas as a whole is pathetic.. both offensively and defensively. Offensive scheme is good though if they can get some players in there before the coaches are fired prematurely (again)

Even on the road against a terrible Syracuse team, Les was unwilling to let Harris attempt to make plays. It is very telling. He has no confidence in this team. They are going to have problems against teams that can stop the run left.

Looks like USM might be pretty good. Showed a lot of heart yesterday too which shows they think they are good. Some of the usm teams of two years ago or so would quit.

North Texas needs a new coach. This guy has been the biggest disappointment in coaching in awhile. All I heard was how good he was but this program is in shambles right now. Need some new blood.

Reynolds may have been playing hurt last year. He seemed to have lost a step last year but he seems to have it back this year. Of all the option teams, this team seems to be running the most like a well oiled machine.

Tip of the cap to Kill ... how many games is this team going to win that they don't deserve to?

ODU going through offensive growing pains while they are changing styles. 0-3 ATS now to the close and would have lost to Eastern Michigan if they hadn't injured the QB.

I hate Les more than anyone, but I feel like he let Harris go a bit. He had a big bomb and a few other attempts.

But unless Les has a Garbageberger on the team( a PRO QB ).........he will run the ball. Alot. And he has Lenny.

Tom Herman is both positively and negatively affecting two teams. His play calling is the disconnect in tOSU. Conversely is killing it at Houston. Houston is one to keep your eyes on.

Cardale stops under throwing the ball then OSU scores 60. Hard to pin the under throws on Herman. Ironically, this time last year most OSU fans were far from enamored with Herman's play calling.

Looks to me they are just going through the motions. Receivers are covered. Plenty of space for the QB to tuck and run. Last year the plays had a method. Set ups. I don't see that with you o-line coach calling plays.

QB, the passing game, or playcalling in general would all be several notches down LSU's list of issues imo. Special teams have been the worst of the Miles tenure to date. Depth in the front 7 is a problem. And they are missing Jalen Mills' versatility in the nickel and his ability to cover the slot.

Penalties in both road games have also been serious killers. Fournette easily sets the school record, goes for 300+, and puts the game away in the 3rd quarter yesterday if not for the most experienced WR failing to line up correctly 25 yards from where the play is designed to go.

Looks to me they are just going through the motions. Receivers are covered. Plenty of space for the QB to tuck and run. Last year the plays had a method. Set ups. I don't see that with you o-line coach calling plays.

Are you sure you watched the game yesterday? WR's were burning WMU's secondary. It was open all day. The balls were simply under thrown...by a very large margin.

Yes on the tuck and run issue. I believe that's intentional. First to limit unnecessary pounding to Cardale (same reason they're limiting Zeke's carries) and secondly to get some practice throwing the deep ball...which as evidenced by yesterday's performance needs a ton of work. The schedule is so wretched that these games are being treated like practices in a sense. When the games get tougher I think you'll see Cardale run more.

I do agree though in that anytime there's staff transition it can take some adjusting.

Also there isn't a single elite team in college football this year

Pretty similar to last season. All comes down to who is playing the best at the end. Could be any of 12-15 teams at this point

Pretty similar to last season. All comes down to who is playing the best at the end. Could be any of 12-15 teams at this point
That I'm going to lose my UCLA U9 and likely my Stanford U9 (thanks USC). Who knew how bad the AZ schools and Org would be. If UCLA beats Stanford, might get a tie with Stanford.

Followed Rex on betting big on FAU vs. Charlotte and actually watched the game. Had -9.5 and ended up winning somehow. Might be the worst CF game I've ever watched. FA had 8 fumbles, 3 lost and 2 INT (one was Pick 6 that had Charlotte covering until minute to go when Charlotte threw one LOL). It was clear the only way Charlotte could score was on defense or ST and sure enough FAU gave them pick 6. Charlotte has a nice RB but their QB looked like he couldn't play HS ball. They simply couldn't complete a pass. Temple should be favored by 50.

Mich. St not very good IMO - should have lost at home to Oregon (Adams missed WR open by 20 yards for go ahead TD). Forgot who said it but no great teams this year.

How good a coach is Harbaugh? With even average QB play, they could have beat Utah on road, which looks pretty good right now. Game vs. BYU was men against boys. Had BYU and chalked that as a loser after 1Q. Michigan will be dominant if Harbaugh doesn't take the Colts job after only 1 year. If I'm Irsay I'd make him the highest paid coach in football and even wait another year if I have too. I think Mich has a shot vs. MSU and OSU THIS year.

Does anyone get less out of their players than Miles? Saw where they are #1 in NFL current players. If you didn't see it, Forcette had a 80 yard TD run called back due to lining up wrong. Ton of penalties. LSU QB cannot play. Forcette is by far the best player I've seen - should be runaway Heisman winner (+450 before yesterday).

That I'm going to lose my UCLA U9 and likely my Stanford U9 (thanks USC). Who knew how bad the AZ schools and Org would be. If UCLA beats Stanford, might get a tie with Stanford.

Followed Rex on betting big on FAU vs. Charlotte and actually watched the game. Had -9.5 and ended up winning somehow. Might be the worst CF game I've ever watched. FA had 8 fumbles, 3 lost and 2 INT (one was Pick 6 that had Charlotte covering until minute to go when Charlotte threw one LOL). It was clear the only way Charlotte could score was on defense or ST and sure enough FAU gave them pick 6. Charlotte has a nice RB but their QB looked like he couldn't play HS ball. They simply couldn't complete a pass. Temple should be favored by 50.

Mich. St not very good IMO - should have lost at home to Oregon (Adams missed WR open by 20 yards for go ahead TD). Forgot who said it but no great teams this year.

How good a coach is Harbaugh? With even average QB play, they could have beat Utah on road, which looks pretty good right now. Game vs. BYU was men against boys. Had BYU and chalked that as a loser after 1Q. Michigan will be dominant if Harbaugh doesn't take the Colts job after only 1 year. If I'm Irsay I'd make him the highest paid coach in football and even wait another year if I have too. I think Mich has a shot vs. MSU and OSU THIS year.

Does anyone get less out of their players than Miles? Saw where they are #1 in NFL current players. If you didn't see it, Forcette had a 80 yard TD run called back due to lining up wrong. Ton of penalties. LSU QB cannot play. Forcette is by far the best player I've seen - should be runaway Heisman winner (+450 before yesterday).

It ain't about money for him as he signed here for less than he coulda got here or obviously in the NFL.

He is about to turn into a God at his Alma Mater ....... I don't think it can get better for this guy. I also think it was pretty clear he enjoys the college game more than the NFL game from a personal happiness standpoint anyway. He was pretty miserable at San Fran that last year.

He is about to turn into a God at his Alma Mater ....... I don't think it can get better for this guy. I also think it was pretty clear he enjoys the college game more than the NFL game from a personal happiness standpoint anyway. He was pretty miserable at San Fran that last year.

I watched his last 5-6 pressers and he looked gloomy as hell...

Totally different now, unless CowTurd is interviewing him.

College suits his style better. Intense dudes like him wear on players, and you could he he was losing them over the last season. In college, the turnover of players means they are gone by the time they are sick of him

Check injury report for both Northwestern and Minnesota as they had alot of injuries to players that didn't return. They play each other this week.

I think a pretty talented team and reunion with Luck would be very hard for him to turn down. If he wants a to win a SB that would be the team to inherit to do it with. Usually when you get an NFL job you get a shit team not one with a franchise QB in his prime. And I do think Indy will fire their coach - might have been real soon had they lost today. Think that whole contract situation is a big negative there and that team is playing lousy. But Harbaugh would take a huge public relations hit if he left after just 1 year and I don't think he would likely do that to his Alma Mater. So the timing likely keeps him there. But I will disagree a little - I think with his personality he wants to win the big one at the highest level and match his brother. But only being there 1 year is what will likely keep him there. Don't really like him but he's one of the best coaches in the game. With that D and the way MSU and OSU are playing, think they have a shot. Amazing turn around.

QB, the passing game, or playcalling in general would all be several notches down LSU's list of issues imo. Special teams have been the worst of the Miles tenure to date. Depth in the front 7 is a problem. And they are missing Jalen Mills' versatility in the nickel and his ability to cover the slot.

Penalties in both road games have also been serious killers. Fournette easily sets the school record, goes for 300+, and puts the game away in the 3rd quarter yesterday if not for the most experienced WR failing to line up correctly 25 yards from where the play is designed to go.

I agree with your 1st sentence. The special teams: the punting has been bad but I would say 18 made up for a bad play the best way how in NY on Sat.

The front 7 scares me though like you said. One guy goes down, and it gets thin thin. Conversely, this is why we will finish with likely the best recruiting class in LSU history..

Penalties have really been the most frustrating thing to me so far

I said it in an In-Game before.....it is amazing

they get to the NFL, and they get better usually right away

I think a pretty talented team and reunion with Luck would be very hard for him to turn down. If he wants a to win a SB that would be the team to inherit to do it with. Usually when you get an NFL job you get a shit team not one with a franchise QB in his prime. And I do think Indy will fire their coach - might have been real soon had they lost today. Think that whole contract situation is a big negative there and that team is playing lousy. But Harbaugh would take a huge public relations hit if he left after just 1 year and I don't think he would likely do that to his Alma Mater. So the timing likely keeps him there. But I will disagree a little - I think with his personality he wants to win the big one at the highest level and match his brother. But only being there 1 year is what will likely keep him there. Don't really like him but he's one of the best coaches in the game. With that D and the way MSU and OSU are playing, think they have a shot. Amazing turn around.

very interesting

There are probably 10 teams in CFB that trust their QB. Its wild to see how conservative teams are. Even in cases where that team is superior.

Beating up a beleaguered BYU team at home as 7 points favorites is nice and all...but Harbaugh has a ways to go before he knocks off MSU and OSU. There is still a rather large talent discrepancy there...especially at quarterback.

I learned that Purdue finally found their QB after a decade and am still trying to figure out why Blough didn't start from day 1.

He can make all the throws, the moment won't be too big for him, moves great in the pocket, and was amazingly accurate.

I'm the only idiot Purdue fan who saw this weekend as a positive and see a couple big upsets in the coming weeks when everyone else has written them off. Possibly even next week....

Meanwhile I'll take another drink

I was definitely one that argued that team was overrated going into the year, but they look pretty damn good to me - they just absolutely shit down their leg every time they're about to beat a top 25 team or Florida. If there wasn't this stigma around the program that they can't win big games/beat Florida, I'd imagine they'd still be unbeaten right now. I really like Butch Jones but not knowing to go for two to make it a 14-point game is just a mind-boggling mistake. You pretty much knew what was coming at that point.

I'll admit I haven't watched much of their three below-average performances as heavy favorites, but based on a few stretches I saw in the opener against Va Tech, it's unfair to say there isn't an elite college football team this year. They just seem incredibly bored and may wake up with a somewhat interesting road game this week.

Beating up a beleaguered BYU team at home as 7 points favorites is nice and all...but Harbaugh has a ways to go before he knocks off MSU and OSU. There is still a rather large talent discrepancy there...especially at quarterback.

Obviously.

Michigan state is way too hyped this year..and was said earlier today way under valued last few years.

OSU started as one of a 'Ship...which they should have never had a chance of being in #TCU

As a Big Ten guy, I'll take it...it is very funny...

I don't feel comfortable with MSU as #2 (then again, I don't know who I'd feel comfortable with at that spot - Ole Miss?)...but I'm going to need to see MSU lose vs a valid opponent before I write them off. I try not to go overboard if a team doesn't cover a few early season games against inferior competition.

Obviously.

Michigan state is way too hyped this year..and was said earlier today way under valued last few years.

OSU started as one of a 'Ship...which they should have never had a chance of being in #TCU

As a Big Ten guy, I'll take it...it is very funny...

Back