What am I missing in Michigan-Wisconsin game

vegasvice

A spread of -3 suggests Wisconsin and Michigan are even teams. I don't see how Michigan has performed to the level of Wisconsin this year. If Harbaugh has wanted to "hide" his offense, he could not against Army because they were life and death to win that game. My power ratings suggest Wisconsin should be at least a 7 point favorite at home. Opinions?

I think this line will get steamed up because everyone has seen what Wisky has done to their 2 opponents...everyone has also seen Michigan’s first 2 non-impressive performances.

And I will love the movement as I will be 100% betting Michigan this week.

Preseason expectations play a big part I think. Preseaon line was Wisky +5 I think so the line has already been heavily adjusted.

mich away record is quite poor.

11am start time...which I guess is a lot better than a night game for mich. Not really sure which team the extra early start time favors.

Last edited:
Preseason expectations play a big part I think. Preseaon line was Wisky +5 I think so the line has already been heavily adjusted.

mich away record is quite poor.

11am start time...which I guess is a lot better than a night game for mich. Not really sure which team that aspect favors.

A later game would benefit Wisconsin fans getting in stadium for start of game (and drunker). Early game helps Michigan.

Certainly the stadium would be more hyped up for a night game...but I feel like a weird early start time like that could throw a team off. But I guess it's a crapshoot to figure out which team that might be.

Side note but I don't know what the fuck Fox is thinking by putting the week's best games on at noon.

Certainly the stadium would be more hyped up for a night game...but I feel like a weird early start time like that could throw a team off.

Side note but I don't know what the fuck Fox is thinking by putting the week's best games on at noon.
That's their thing this year. Rumor has it it may keep Michigan from a white out night game at PSU. (week before night game with ND).

All I can say is that one team can run the ball and one team doesn‘t have much of a defensive interior and neither team is the same

Game is as good as done...Wisky backers should already be thinking how to invest their winnings. Wisconsin has outscored it’s opponents by 100 points already. No way they can lose. Impossible

Game is as good as done...Wisky backers should already be thinking how to invest their winnings. Wisconsin has outscored it’s opponents by 100 points already. No way they can lose. Impossible

Yea this same sorta recency bias informed Spartan backers this weekend. ASU had just barely beat an fcs squad. MSU rocked Western Mich with its stellar offense. Whoops

Certainly the stadium would be more hyped up for a night game...but I feel like a weird early start time like that could throw a team off. But I guess it's a crapshoot to figure out which team that might be.

The game is a 12pm EST start. This is a normal Big 10 start time. My four years at Madison, I'd guess about 75% of the games started at this time, with the rest at 3:30pm. Wisconsin did not have any night home games. Times are a bit now, but the noon start is still common.

For example, last season the Badgers in Big 10 games had four 12pm games, three 3:30pm games, and three night games (2 on road). In 2017 Badgers played five home games at 12pm, three 3:30pm games, and one road night game.

Last edited:
I think this line will get steamed up because everyone has seen what Wisky has done to their 2 opponents...everyone has also seen Michigan’s first 2 non-impressive performances.

Can Wisco beat press-man coverage? The Mich D seems to excel at stopping what Wisco does.

Can Wisco beat press-man coverage? The Mich D seems to excel at stopping what Wisco does.

I think this is the best WR group in about 10 years at Wisconsin. Best since the 2010ish group (NIck Toon, Jared Abbrederis, Alex Erickson) and before that the Chris Chambers/Lee Evans 2000 team. TE is a bit of concern. Short on bodies and talents.

JT coming out of the backfield making catches could be huge.

The game is a 12pm EST start. This is a normal Big 10 start time. My four years at Madison, I'd guess about 75% of the games started at this time, with the rest at 3:30pm. Wisconsin did not have any night home games. Times are a bit now, but the noon start is still common.

I thought it was an 11am start...my bad if that's not the case.

A spread of -3 suggests Wisconsin and Michigan are even teams. I don't see how Michigan has performed to the level of Wisconsin this year. If Harbaugh has wanted to "hide" his offense, he could not against Army because they were life and death to win that game. My power ratings suggest Wisconsin should be at least a 7 point favorite at home. Opinions?

Trust your eyes and instincts man. Don't let anyone talk you out of shit. Wisconsin wins by dd.

Some history:

Going back to 1980, no team has ever opened with two shutout wins followed by an open date.

Going back to 1980, the only team that opened with two shutout wins and then played game 3 at home was FSU in 1980, and they beat ECU 63-7 as -19.

Bottom line: what Wisconsin has done is truly extraordinary.

Game will probably be decided by big plays (negative or positive) from the quarterbacks. Based on early season defensive results, I wouldn't expect either team to run all THAT successfully. I think Wisconsin is better trained to legally hold and keep their blocks, so there is a bigger chance of the big play from their stud ... but the QB for Wiscy is gonna have to do it some here. Same with the Wolverines .. doubt they run all that successfully so they better make some plays down the field in this one. The Michigan defensive performance against the option is promising for their run D, and the Michigan rushing performance all year is promising for the the Wisconsin run D.

Not sold that Larsh can be trusted for Wisconsin in what should be a close game. You can quote that after he kicks a clutch long FG.

But Wisconsin appears to be in better form.

Game will be a pass for me.

This is just my two cents...

I've watched just about every snap of both teams games..and they are like night and day in preparedness, coaching, trenches, penalties, turnovers, adjustments, Wisconsin even uses a little tempo. Wisconsin special team gunners are fast, good punter and they just overall know how to protect the ball.

Michigan has no swagger this year on a d that lost Bush, Winovich, Long and Gary. The dline consists of a 250 pound converted fullback...that does not bode well against a rushing attack with multiple formations, runners and now they are throwing to Taylor. Michigan D will get gashed in the inside all afternoon if the offense falters. Will they get better? sure. But it's week 4 and to face Wisconsin this early for an offense and defense who are trying to find an identity on the road will be very tough. I don't care if they kick at 8 am or Zimbabwe local time. Same shit.

Patterson has to have a perfect game and Harbaugh can't be calling plays in this one like he did for the Army game..he seems to have a hard on and stubborn when he faces a team that runs. The oline is not great yet, Patterson needs all day to scan the field...Wisconsin loves those blind side blitzes by a corner or safety...Patterson doesn't have the awareness to avoid that. He is still struggling with a mad rush.

Michigan prepped for the triple option of Army since January...I wasn't impressed..it was ok, but Wisconsin size and nastiness of their oline with an elite back will be a much grander thing than Army.

If Michigan can get to Coan...which will be very tough...it might be closer, and possibly a win as he hasn't really had to move an inch...I just don't see it though.

Michigan has had some injuries yes, but just don't think it affects this game as a whole.

As a Michigan fan, I hope they win. I'll have a small play on Wisconsin Moneyline...and hope it loses but just don't see it this early in season form-wise.

People love to bet Michigan...Expect that line to go up to 5.5-6..it should...

Wisconsin is for real folks imo....but that's why they play the games.

I'll add to that. Michigan has rested it's left tackle for this game. He would have played first few games if they thought they needed him. Hunt is spot on about the DL though.

I'll add to that. Michigan has rested it's left tackle for this game. He would have played first few games if they thought they needed him. Hunt is spot on about the DL though.

They needed him and a few more against Army. Michigan did not looked like a decent football team much less good. I was shocked at how bad they played and how unprepared they were. Not sure I would bet on this game this week but Michigan hasnt shown me anything yet this year.

They needed him and a few more against Army. Michigan did not looked like a decent football team much less good. I was shocked at how bad they played and how unprepared they were. Not sure I would bet on this game this week but Michigan hasnt shown me anything yet this year.
I agree. This is a no bet game for me. Just letting people know how they handled that situation.

Is Michigan getting anyone back for this week that they haven't had the first 2 games?

Is Charbonnet really their guy at RB? He has zero explosion.

We really haven't seen Michigan yet. Their turnovers have completely taken them out of both of the first two games. They should have lost to Army. Who knows?

Is Michigan getting anyone back for this week that they haven't had the first 2 games?

Is Charbonnet really their guy at RB? He has zero explosion.

We really haven't seen Michigan yet. Their turnovers have completely taken them out of both of the first two games. They should have lost to Army. Who knows?
Runyon, DPJ are two for sure.

the hardest thing is to determine if wisconsin is better than they were last year after playing two of the worst run defenses in college football. While Michigan is breaking in new lbs and dl wisconsins is breaking in 4 new OL !

imo army is so different I don't take too much from that. I thought mid tennessee actually did run for a td on michigan early which wouldn't of happened last year.

all in all, it's a tough cap because of michigans success vs wisconsin last year and preseason rankings. My eyes are telling me wisconsin, but they could be looking through deceptive lenses named south florida and cmu.

Why??? Blatant homerism? Wishful thinking? Sure michigan may win..... But what have you seen that makes you feel its worth an investment besides blind faith in the mass media that michigan could just reload on defense and just magically change an archaic offense into a modern offense or just merely one that doesnt shoot themself in the foot as often as possible. And then there is jimmy and his pinchent for losing to any team with a pulse. Help me see your side!

Why??? Blatant homerism? Wishful thinking? Sure michigan may win..... But what have you seen that makes you feel its worth an investment besides blind faith in the mass media that michigan could just reload on defense and just magically change an archaic offense into a modern offense or just merely one that doesnt shoot themself in the foot as often as possible. And then there is jimmy and his pinchent for losing to any team with a pulse. Help me see your side!
Scarf isn't a UM guy.

Right i forgot the sarcasm font lol. I just want to know why his play is on UM. Honestly i think they are playing exactly how i expected them to play this year and the crazy offseason hype always baffled me. They arent a reload type of team they are a tier below it. And they lost a lot of talent from last year. Add in the fact that jimmy is having a hard time allowing gattis to run tge show. Reminds me of osu 2015....with Supremely less talent

Michigan has the more talented team, so it's tough to give the more talented team a bunch of pts. Wisconsin surely deserves to be favored from what we've seen thus far. Mich needs to open it up and get the ball to the perimeter where they have speed advantages. Will they? Who knows.

Michigan has the more talented team, so it's tough to give the more talented team a bunch of pts. Wisconsin surely deserves to be favored from what we've seen thus far. Mich needs to open it up and get the ball to the perimeter where they have speed advantages. Will they? Who knows.
That's the question. They have been missing two potential all conference performers so far that will be back as well as an injured Shea. Apparently he is feeling better. We'll see. There is another OL injury now but not serious thankfully.

I’m on wisky -3. Prob take wisky up to 4 maybe 5 but losing value there.

I know more in depth about mich than I do wisky tbh.

Mich O:

I put my preseason thoughts down earlier on here and they seem to be close.

QB:

Patterson is just ok. But he’s played below that thus far. He hasn’t played well. There was an interview of gattis I read right before the season started where he said he thought shea would blow his phone up once he got to AA but it never happened. He was working out with the WRs. Is this why Shea looks lost? I never thought he was particularly good, just ok, but this could be an extenuating circumstance as to why he looks so bad in a 3rd offense in 4 years. Ave arm. Above ave legs that aren’t used. And terrible decision making through 2 games. IMO he’s thinking too much. Rumor is he’s playing through an injury. Regardless, hes not been good.

RB:

This group is atrocious and it shouldn’t be like this at mich. A true frosh coming off knee surgery in the spring is carrying it 33 times for 3 ypc vs army? Really? That’s a beating he’s taking. And shouldn’t happen. If I were osu msu psu id hammer that into recruits mom and dads head. But They have no one else at rb and this is a problem going forward. Charbonnet is said to be the best blocker of the group, but they need more out of a rb than 3 ypc and a good blocker tbh.

OL:

Vastly overrated in the preseason. Runyon has been dinged and now, there’s a rumor that their 2nd string RT is out. Now down to their 3rd string RT. Ouch. Even if Runyon comes back this week do we expect he’s up to game speed? I’m doubting it. 3rd string RT. RG owenu who is average. Wiskys DL isn’t Clemson ‘18 but they should be able to win more than they lose here.

WR:

Thanks Shea. Yeah, they’ve had some drops here and there, but this is all on Shea. He’s missing wrs. He’s missing reads. DPJ should return but how does that help Shea? This group can win but obviously needs the qb. I’m just not sure these 2 units work well together. I never thought this group has lived up to their hs rankings but then again, it could be because of their qb.

Mich D:

Basically leave this short. Their DL isn’t very good compared to years past. It’s just ok. However, there are no backups to help out. And imo the starters here are backups at osu bama Clemson ga and psu even. There’s no winovich. No bush. And as lackluster Gary was, there’s no Gary. They moved a fullback over to help out. That speaks a lot.

I don’t want to hear how this mich D held army to their lowest rushing total since the jimmy carter administration. This wisky OL is by far a different animal. This rushing attack is a different animal. Playing an academy is all about discipline. No one has ever said harbaugh teams are undisciplined (other than a little this year so far). So I’m not surprised mich was gap sound vs army and showed a solid D.

Mich dbs wont win or lose this game. This game comes down to the front 7.

My call:

Rumors are already swirling that harbaugh, gattis, and, yes, The Ed, are not seeing eye-to-eye. Last weeks game had harbaughs fingerprints all over it. Post all the YouTube vids you want of harbaugh not talking on the headset during the last drive. The last 3 drives that consisted of 19 rush attempts vs army was his design and his game plan. He’s not giving up the keys totally. He’s Not fully invested in the new scheme. But he needs to be to take the next step.

Mich has made a ton of mistakes through 2 games and their faithful think it can be corrected with a bye week. As an osu fan, we said the same thing the last 2 years about our penalties and special teams with a top 3 all time coach running the show. The corner never came and osu remained stinking it up. I don’t see mich correcting this over a week of berating by the staff.

I think the wisky OL is going to push the mich DL around for 3 quarters but mich will hang for a bit. Wisky will then take over in the mid 3rd/4th to cover.

The mich rushing attack will be blah.

Shea will be blah. To the point he may share snaps with Mccafrey in the 2nd half.

And harbaughs road stats speak for themselves.

I’m laying the -3.5.

Shea been injured since first play vs MTSU. Mayfield got banged up Thursday but is definitely not out as of now. Runyon... We'll see. DPJ...ankle injuries are tough ..again we'll see..

Back