Western Conference First Round Discussion

Basically, I have yet to meet a coach besides Pop, that CTG community liked...
I think that Malone is solid coach. He did a good job in Sacramento (great one even), he was one shot from going to WCF last season and it's not his fault that Jokic looks terrible on offense here... He appears to be too tired... Jokic always been bad on defense, but made up for that on the offense - here you don't have that.
Yeah, he makes mistakes, like any other coach, but still... Even Pop cost Spurs the title in Miami...

As for Stotts - never liked him before he got to Portland, but he does amazing job there. WCF last season, twice second round - this is not a contender... Portland not close to being a contender and he takes them as far as they can go...

Not the biggest Pop fan either. Dated and stubborn.

One coach that has grown on me though is Nick Nurse, thought he was a clown early on last season but as the season progressed the guy showed his smarts.

Spoelstra up there as well.

Dame carries Stotts. They go as far as he takes them.

Basically, I have yet to meet a coach besides Pop, that CTG community liked...
I think that Malone is solid coach. He did a good job in Sacramento (great one even), he was one shot from going to WCF last season and it's not his fault that Jokic looks terrible on offense here... He appears to be too tired... Jokic always been bad on defense, but made up for that on the offense - here you don't have that.
Yeah, he makes mistakes, like any other coach, but still... Even Pop cost Spurs the title in Miami...

As for Stotts - never liked him before he got to Portland, but he does amazing job there. WCF last season, twice second round - this is not a contender... Portland not close to being a contender and he takes them as far as they can go...
I think the dude in Boston is good

One coach that has grown on me though is Nick Nurse, thought he was a clown early on last season but as the season progressed the guy showed his smarts.

Pringles?

Pop is far from dated and stubborn.

Spurs have the fastest pace team in nba now, would have you guessed that even 3 years ago?

Stotts is brutal. Malone is brutal. Brown is brutal.

I ragged on Nurse a lot last year, but dude is a fuckin solid coach.

The bubble shows who the good coaches are without home court advantage.

Malone is consistently finding ways for Denver to give up big 3s to anyone on that team, and they have no answer for Spider.

Stotts gets bad breaks as far as injuries, but that's culture and he generally has not gotten the most out of his players besides Dame and sometimes CJ for years. That starting lineup should get them a 1-3 seed every year...

Really? Portland has better roster than Clips? GSW? Lakers? Injuries aside, Portland, Denver, Rockets and Utah are more or less the same level. Portland probably 7th as far as talent goes... a bit behind all those teams...
Nurse is a solid coach no doubt.
My main point is that many here complain about coaches, but you do realize that it will end up same coaches, same teams, just different seats...
We will see Stotts in Denver, Malone in Philly and Brown in Porltland for example - so what?
I don't think I can name 30 coaches that I think will do great job.
I also don't think that coaches are purely talent. I think it also got a lot to do with the spot they are in.
Not sure Spoelstra would have been the coach he is, without being in Miami and getting Riley's backing...
I think that Knicks are a graveyard for any coach and no matter who you put there.
It's a question of situation mostly. I think that Stotts has Dame's respect and he fits Portland fine. I'm not sure they can do better than him...
I don't think btw that Rivers that great of a coach btw...
I think that Hollins did amazing job in Memphis, perfectly fitting the grit and grind mentality. Since than... he didn't do too well...
Vogel great coach on defense and he proved it in Indiana and the same in LA. When he was in Orlando, it was a very bad fit...
You put Thibs with Butler and others that bought in to his philosophy and it looked great. In young and lazy Minny, it was terrible and I think that Knicks was a wrong move as well... Despite Van Gundy and Riley - other tough coaches doing pretty well there, so maybe I'm wrong. Crowd mentality he will fit, but the players...
I thought and still think Brown is a good coach, but I do agree that he needs to go. He can't break through with this roster and he doesn't get 100% out of it.
I do think that Stotts brings 200% out of Portland roster and even Red or Phil or Pop or all three combined wouldn't have done better job.
Malone? I liked him in Sacramento and in Denver as well. He developed few young players, he had few good plays. I honestly think that Denver a bit overrated. They are mad deep and been that way for years, but Jokic is amazing player, but not a star on championship team kind of player and Murray is the same. Jokic also been very mediocre in this bubble and that hurts them a lot. Maybe someone from SA school would do a better job here. Atkinson perhaps? But can't say Malone is failing.

To be fair to Denver, not having Barton and Harris hurts them a lot. Other than Craig, only others on that team with possibility to guard Mitchell, and they can get you points.

I know he only played the bubble games but I’d put Bol out there. He showed he can play.

at this point I fully expect Denver to get swept. These teams down 3-0 without having any home games I just don’t see them putting up much resistance. Only one might be Pacers, and thats a maybe

Really? Portland has better roster than Clips? GSW? Lakers? Injuries aside, Portland, Denver, Rockets and Utah are more or less the same level. Portland probably 7th as far as talent goes... a bit behind all those teams...
Nurse is a solid coach no doubt.
My main point is that many here complain about coaches, but you do realize that it will end up same coaches, same teams, just different seats...
We will see Stotts in Denver, Malone in Philly and Brown in Porltland for example - so what?
I don't think I can name 30 coaches that I think will do great job.
I also don't think that coaches are purely talent. I think it also got a lot to do with the spot they are in.
Not sure Spoelstra would have been the coach he is, without being in Miami and getting Riley's backing...
I think that Knicks are a graveyard for any coach and no matter who you put there.
It's a question of situation mostly. I think that Stotts has Dame's respect and he fits Portland fine. I'm not sure they can do better than him...
I don't think btw that Rivers that great of a coach btw...
I think that Hollins did amazing job in Memphis, perfectly fitting the grit and grind mentality. Since than... he didn't do too well...
Vogel great coach on defense and he proved it in Indiana and the same in LA. When he was in Orlando, it was a very bad fit...
You put Thibs with Butler and others that bought in to his philosophy and it looked great. In young and lazy Minny, it was terrible and I think that Knicks was a wrong move as well... Despite Van Gundy and Riley - other tough coaches doing pretty well there, so maybe I'm wrong. Crowd mentality he will fit, but the players...
I thought and still think Brown is a good coach, but I do agree that he needs to go. He can't break through with this roster and he doesn't get 100% out of it.
I do think that Stotts brings 200% out of Portland roster and even Red or Phil or Pop or all three combined wouldn't have done better job.
Malone? I liked him in Sacramento and in Denver as well. He developed few young players, he had few good plays. I honestly think that Denver a bit overrated. They are mad deep and been that way for years, but Jokic is amazing player, but not a star on championship team kind of player and Murray is the same. Jokic also been very mediocre in this bubble and that hurts them a lot. Maybe someone from SA school would do a better job here. Atkinson perhaps? But can't say Malone is failing.

Stotts has had loaded rosters in years prior and didn't do shit. Portland has arguably the best backcourt in the nba. For years, next to gsw. No reason to exit the playoffs most years prior to a wcf.

Malone is not a good defensive coach. At all. He doesn't adjust.

I cant even image if the roles were reversed!

Havnt heard LeBitch or anyone else, NBA or NFL even comment except JWilliams
I haven't read all the posts in this thread but what was even more crazy was how Shaq and Kenny said all it takes is an apology. Charles had the guts to say there can't be a double standard. Shaq even said to Charles that they've all said these things. Chuck said he's never talked like that during a game

EgJsvvGU8AA5jfw

Amazing that Doncic is going to be Silver's ticket to an NBA gold mine over the next 10+ years, yet he didn't do anything with Harrell.

Wait, it's not amazing.
I posted about this in the politics thread. Rex Chapman Twitter is so ignorant at this point although used to be funny.

Bitch Ass Whiteboy is a derogatory term.
Not a double standard at all huh?
The TNT guys talked about it very late....Chuck was starting to make sense and then others reclaimed their time

I haven't read all the posts in this thread but what was even more crazy was how Shaq and Kenny said all it takes is an apology. Charles had the guts to say there can't be a double standard. Shaq even said to Charles that they've all said these things. Chuck said he's never talked like that during a game
I watched the entire segment. Ernie called out the NBA.

and if anyone wants to play the word game, come down South and call a black dude BOY.
Promise you it wouldn’t go well.

I posted about this in the politics thread. Rex Chapman Twitter is so ignorant at this point although used to be funny.

Bitch Ass Whiteboy is a derogatory term.
Not a double standard at all huh?
The TNT guys talked about it very late....Chuck was starting to make sense and then others reclaimed their time
Disgusting and ridiculous, though sadly not surprising, how little attention this has received in the media.

The Paul George saga is interesting to me...he looked real good in seeding games...must be mental, eh?

You could see how angry Shaq was after Luka’s performance. Saying this isn’t anything new why is everyone fawning over this kid. There’s a lot of hate out there because of the color of this kid’s skin. It doesn’t fit the narrative the league wants.

He’s already settled in as #2 all time last 30 years behind Jordan and it’s infuriating people. He has the talent to win multiple rings in a row and doesn’t need a super team to do it. He’s essentially playing with bums who are fringe NBA guys in Burke, Curry, MGK, Hardaway.

You could see how angry Shaq was after Luka’s performance. Saying this isn’t anything new why is everyone fawning over this kid. There’s a lot of hate out there because of the color of this kid’s skin. It doesn’t fit the narrative the league wants.

He’s already settled in as #2 all time last 30 years behind Jordan and it’s infuriating people. He has the talent to win multiple rings in a row and doesn’t need a super team to do it. He’s essentially playing with bums who are fringe NBA guys in Burke, Curry, MGK, Hardaway.
Love Luka (and his Mom) and was on his nuts before the draft...

But...bronny still 1-a and there is a certain Laker or two that have a say as well.

Luka is amazing... It was clear from day 1 in Madrid he is one of the greatest to play the game...
Top 5 Europeans of all time...

Luka is amazing... It was clear from day 1 in Madrid he is one of the greatest to play the game...
Top 5 Europeans of all time...
Who's top 5 Euros all time?

(This might actually be a great thread in itself).

Who's top 5 Euros all time?

(This might actually be a great thread in itself).

Impossibly premature to know where to put Doncic yet, but I’ll go with this...

Dirk
Giannis
Parker
Doncic
Gasol

Outside looking in:
Petrovic
Sabonis
Stojakovic

Impossibly premature to know where to put Doncic yet, but I’ll go with this...

Dirk
Giannis
Parker
Doncic
Gasol

Outside looking in:
Petrovic
Sabonis
Stojakovic
Thank you for mentioning Sabonis and Drazen. I'll add Vlade and Kukoc too...

Sabonis and Petrovic above Dirk, Gasol brothers and Parker imo...
Galis and Tkachenko should be mentioned.
Bodiroga btw... Though slightly below them...
Sabonis, Tkachenko, Petrovic and Luka for sure imo...

I do feel that you must have more than one Yugoslavian on that list :)
Split back in the days owned Europe...

Back