Western Conference First Round Discussion

I’m prepared to lose a ton more on them tomorrow

Lol. I’m not. I’m writing the series off cause I don’t think I can switch to blazers. I dunno, I’m all fucked up cause for 2 weeks I was screaming blazers would beat them, then I watched the blazers/nets game and heard the whole world jump on blazers wagon and changed my mind. After watching last night now I’m thinking I fucked up! lol. Those shots Dame made late! They not gonna stop!! Lakers gonna have to start running the whole team at him then the others gonna get wide open looks!

I really believe lakers gonna have to play AD at the 5 and get one of blazers 7 footers off the court. That doesn’t really suit lakers but they have to open the lane up and bron has to start bulldozing his way to the rim. Only chance they have.

Is Whiteside a bench player? He played well when Nurick(sp) came out but I thought he was kinda on the cusp of being a lite star....

Lakers shooting is more than luck. They have been shooting terribly. Lebron’s game doesn’t translate well to the bubble, while shooters like Dame, does.

Barkely may be right, we could have a sweep

Lakers shooting is more than luck. They have been shooting terribly. Lebron’s game doesn’t translate well to the bubble, while shooters like Dame, does.

Barkely may be right, we could have a sweep

Bron is gonna have to stop be passive or it over. Doubt it be sweep, I agree about their shooting but figure one game they will hit them, I mean they nba players, odds are they have one good shooting day with all the good looks they getting.

Is Whiteside a bench player? He played well when Nurick(sp) came out but I thought he was kinda on the cusp of being a lite star....

Not this series as they can play both 7 footers against lakers. He was a double double guy averaging almost 3 blocks a game this year while nurkic was out. I mean he did come off bench but he got starter minutes and should continue to this series. He just not as talented offensively as Nurkic.

Not this series as they can play both 7 footers against lakers. He was a double double guy averaging almost 3 blocks a game this year while nurkic was out. I mean he did come off bench but he got starter minutes and should continue to this series. He just not as talented offensively as Nurkic.
That’s what it looked like.

Lakers havnt played a meaningful game in almost 5 months...

But also gotta give Portland credit on holding them to 93 points!

Say what you want, he didn’t shoot it well, but once again Melo w a huge 3 late and the assist on the next possession for another 3. All of these games he’s hit clutch 3s in the last 2 min

Both LA teams got very hard match ups and overall, you can't see teams really domnating - apart from maybe Boston series, that should have been one of the harder ones actually (especially with Hayward out).
Even Nets, that have on the injury list a roster that can easily be Top 4 and active roster of 7-8 players, half of them unknown to most, keeping it close with the Raptors...
Utah without Conley (though many claim they better with Ingles than Conley) and Bogdanovic somehow tied 1 - 1 and could have easily lead 2 - 0, Magic without Isaac still lead the series (probably will end 4 - 1 or 4 - 2 in Bucks favor, but still...).
Dallas probably the best rival that Clippers could hope for... Still... again... tied 1 - 1 and could have easily been 2 - 0 if not for the ejection...

Basically, we don't have even one contender that looks good or even decent... At the moment, Raptors somehow look the best and they shouldn't have been mentioned as a contender in the beginning of the season...

What do you think, it's just because teams still rusty and had no reason to show up to the bubble till now and they will pick it up or we will see a lot of surprises in Round 1 already?
Somehow, I think that we will see at least one of the lower seeded teams winning a series...

Lakers probably miss Bradley and Rondo at the moment...
I don't know why they don't use JR... he is an idiot, but an idiot that can defend and been in the playoffs...
They need guards that can defend...
Also, don't get why Davis plays so much on three point line. This is a series, where he needs to give at least 20 minutes as Center. Nurk can't defend and he will either be too tired to do anything on offense or will be in foul trouble and force Whiteside back or Davis will own him in the paint...
Every time Nurk is on the floor, Davis needs to go deep in the paint and force him to defend. If Nurk plays with Whiteside, than even more, Lakers should go small and play with Davis and Kuzma... No way they can chase them on three point line and Kuzma can hit open looks...
In the end, I'm sure that Portland can't win this series, averaging 100 points.
If I'm Lakers, I go between small and super small this series. Maybe even play 2-3 minutes with Kuzma and Morris as 5 and 4... The problem is that Kuzma can't guard a tree...

I don't know why they don't use JR... he is an idiot, but an idiot that can defend and been in the playoffs...
Also, don't get why Davis plays so much on three point line. This is a series, where he needs to give at least 20 minutes as Center. Nurk can't defend and he will either be too tired to do anything on offense or will be in foul trouble and force Whiteside back or Davis will own him in the paint...
Every time Nurk is on the floor, Davis needs to go deep in the paint and force him to defend. If Nurk plays with Whiteside, than even more, Lakers should go small and play with Davis and Kuzma... No way they can chase them on three point line and Kuzma can hit open looks...
If I'm Lakers, I go between small and super small this series. Maybe even play 2-3 minutes with Kuzma and Morris as 5 and 4... The problem is that Kuzma can't guard a tree...

the one thing JR can do is shoot. Especially when yuh shoot 5-35 or whatever it was from 3 you’d think they’d give him some run.

the lakers have been garbage since the restart. Their d has been bad and they can’t make shots. At some point you need to find someone besides Lebron or AD who can make open shots otherwise this will be a short series the way dame is playing.

JR can defend... I always thought he never got enough credit for his defense
But yeah, you can't win any series, against any NBA team, averaging 93 points... Maybe a decade ago, but not today...

JR can defend... I always thought he never got enough credit for his defense
But yeah, you can't win any series, against any NBA team, averaging 93 points... Maybe a decade ago, but not today...

he’s not a bad defender, he can’t guard dame, but he wouldn’t be bad on CJ, although if Whiteside and nurkic dominate the paint and Dame and CJ are making shots and Melo hits big shots not sure it matters. This Portland team was in the western conference finals last year and could be even better if ariza was here

Not many can guard Dame :)
Portland very good team, have probably the best form (together with Toronto) and obviously not your regular 8th seed.
But, good chances that West will have such 8th seeds many times in the season to come and if Lakers want a title, they need to know how to win such series as well...
It's been a strange season, but no excuses and if anything, Bron should be fresh enough to carry this team to the Finals on his own back... Never was he in a position to start the post season with so much rest... If he wants to be like Kobe, he needs to will his team in to winning this series...
Kobe with torn achilles made two FT that helped Lakers to get in to postseason against the Warriors...

I do wonder, if the format that 7 games are played in one venue, does it have any effect?

Good post D

AD plays like a 6'2 guard lurking on the perimeter.

He is the definition of a soft big man.

LeCramps also coddled this kid and it is showing.

Another LeGM manufactured squad with cohesion issues just like his teams in Cleveland.

Problem this season is he's a little too long in the tooth to carry this squad on his creaky old back.

That being said they should get past the Blazers. Again, should...

Think it makes it more level to a degree but the better talent will always eventually win out.

I just hate that it takes away our good situational spots. Always love seeing some of the lines they hang when the venue changes for Game 3s

I just hate that it takes away our good situational spots. Always love seeing some of the lines they hang when the venue changes for Game 3s

Yeah it sucks in that sense.

All about the TCC - Talent, Coaching, Cohesion.

AD plays like a 6'2 guard lurking on the perimeter.

He is the definition of a soft big man.

LeCramps also coddled this kid and it is showing.

Another LeGM manufactured squad with cohesion issues just like his teams in Cleveland.

Problem this season is he's a little too long in the tooth to carry this squad on his creaky old back.

That being said they should get past the Blazers. Again, should...
Always the knock on him. Now alotta 7 footers can shoot. He has handles but a lot do too now.

I agree. Kinda soft

Mike D should be the coach of the season, if not the coach of the decade...
He changed the league once with the Suns and now takes it one step further with the Rockets.
He was on the verge of NBA Finals without CP3, he is now 2 - 0 without RW and while Thunder obviously not a contender, but with CP3, Galo, Adamas and Shroeder... This is a team that should have found ways to exploit Houston with RW and any Center what so ever... Especially with CP3 knowing the Rockets as well as he does, doesn't like them and a smart player and Adams also, very high basketball IQ and still...
Houston 2 - 0 and counting...
Mike D stays with his vision of basketball and somehow it works... He may not get a title, but he changes the league for second decade already...

As for the Lakers, Game 2 doesn't mean anything... They need to win 3 more and more important, they need to do it when Blazers shoot better than 26% behind the arc and when the game is close...
Davis dominated and I hope will see more of that...

Mike D should be the coach of the season, if not the coach of the decade...
He changed the league once with the Suns and now takes it one step further with the Rockets.
He was on the verge of NBA Finals without CP3, he is now 2 - 0 without RW and while Thunder obviously not a contender, but with CP3, Galo, Adamas and Shroeder... This is a team that should have found ways to exploit Houston with RW and any Center what so ever... Especially with CP3 knowing the Rockets as well as he does, doesn't like them and a smart player and Adams also, very high basketball IQ and still...
Houston 2 - 0 and counting...
Mike D stays with his vision of basketball and somehow it works... He may not get a title, but he changes the league for second decade already...

gutty gutty effort by rox. I’ll give them credit. Got down, fought back to take an 8 pt lead in 3rd only to lose that go back down 5 and then they went HAM to close the 3rd and open 4th. Russ will continue to get rest.

As for the Lakers, Game 2 doesn't mean anything... They need to win 3 more and more important, they need to do it when Blazers shoot better than 26% behind the arc and when the game is close...
Davis dominated and I hope will see more of that...

blazers were outgunned from the tip. Physically weren’t ready and never really worked themselves into the game.
If dame’s finger is an issue port ain’t winning another game

I read very nice column few months ago, about how much Utah better with Ingles instead of Conley.
They said many interesting things, but one that I agreed more than everything - Ingles can't play with second unit. He is the perfect player playing with other starters, doing all the small things, not forcing shots, can't leave alone - he can't create shots for himself...

I read very nice column few months ago, about how much Utah better with Ingles instead of Conley.
They said many interesting things, but one that I agreed more than everything - Ingles can't play with second unit. He is the perfect player playing with other starters, doing all the small things, not forcing shots, can't leave alone - he can't create shots for himself...

Yeah - saw that Jazz have actually been worse with Conley on the floor which was sort of surprising

Not to get over confident, but when the clippers get up a little bit and live betting on the mavs feels like free money.

How bad is Denver?

They finally gotta cut ties with Malone, right?

They have too. Blazers, Sixers and Nuggets all need a new coaching direction.

They let a soft uncoordinated Rudy Covid feast on them.

Also a Philly fan, will be happy when the C's absolutely kill them in Game 4.

Lakers look a lot better last two games - Davis still takes too many mid range shots. He hit them tonight, but mid rangers can go either way and against in WCF against the Clips (if both teams there), it won't work...
Still, Lakers find their game again and more important, 93, 88 and 108 - they play solid defense and that's the key for the Lakers if they want the title...

They have too. Blazers, Sixers and Nuggets all need a new coaching direction.

They let a soft uncoordinated Rudy Covid feast on them.

Also a Philly fan, will be happy when the C's absolutely kill them in Game 4.
Basically, I have yet to meet a coach besides Pop, that CTG community liked...
I think that Malone is solid coach. He did a good job in Sacramento (great one even), he was one shot from going to WCF last season and it's not his fault that Jokic looks terrible on offense here... He appears to be too tired... Jokic always been bad on defense, but made up for that on the offense - here you don't have that.
Yeah, he makes mistakes, like any other coach, but still... Even Pop cost Spurs the title in Miami...

As for Stotts - never liked him before he got to Portland, but he does amazing job there. WCF last season, twice second round - this is not a contender... Portland not close to being a contender and he takes them as far as they can go...

Basically, I have yet to meet a coach besides Pop, that CTG community liked...
I think that Malone is solid coach. He did a good job in Sacramento (great one even), he was one shot from going to WCF last season and it's not his fault that Jokic looks terrible on offense here... He appears to be too tired... Jokic always been bad on defense, but made up for that on the offense - here you don't have that.
Yeah, he makes mistakes, like any other coach, but still... Even Pop cost Spurs the title in Miami...

As for Stotts - never liked him before he got to Portland, but he does amazing job there. WCF last season, twice second round - this is not a contender... Portland not close to being a contender and he takes them as far as they can go...
Yes, we hate most coaches.

Back