• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Week Zero Writeups and Hopefully Feedback

Br@ssknux

Pretty much a regular
Well, here's hoping I can come up with a better regular season effort than that horrifying display of sub .500 failure from last year. I don't even want to look that up, so I won't. There was a nice bounce-back in the bowl season, and hopefully the somewhat enlightened guy from that stretch will be around this year. I doubt it, but we'll give it a whirl anyway. We'll start with one that you could probably predict if you've read this thread in the past..

1. Navy +21 v Notre Dame: 21 is pretty much available everywhere at -113 or so, but I got it at the usual -110. Pretty much any time I can get a service academy at a price like this, I'm gonna take it. It's pretty much as simple as that, but there's quite a bit more compelling reasons to take this side that I can throw out there as well. One interesting thing about Navy last year was how good their run defense was. It was really astounding. They finished 6th(!!!!) in yards per carry allowed last year, and that was no fluke as the Middies faced Army, Air Force, Notre Dame, Houston, East Carolina and UCF, all of which ranked in the top 25 or so in either total rushing or yards per carry. 5 of their front 7 from last year return, and that crew held ND to 1.9 yards per carry on 34 attempts. Notre Dame comes into this game having made a massive upgrade at QB with Sam Hartman coming in from Wake. Anyone who has watched college football over the past several years knows that Hartman is a top notch QB, but I'm not sure he's walking into a situation that will give him much help in the passing game. They have very little coming back on offense, and the word is that his favorite targets in practice have been incoming freshmen. Michael Mayer, who at TE was a huge portion of their production, is gone. So is OC Tommy Rees who should be commended for getting what he did out of Drew Pyne last year. Promoted to OC is former TE coach Gerard Parker, who Marcus Freeman clearly saw as a way-down-the-line fallback position after striking out on several other targets. As a result, despite having Hartman and facing a Navy defense that is much more susceptible to the pass, ND is likely going to want to run it as much as possible, and that certainly didn't work last year. On the flip side, there is a new sherriff in town in Annapolis, as Brian Newberry(DC) takes over for long time coach Ken Niumatalolo. I was a huge fan of Coach Ken, but the offense had gotten stale over the past few years, so this move might jump start things. Despite the cut block rule changes, Navy is sticking with a triple option based attack, having hired the OC from Kennesaw(where Newberry came from a few years ago). We'll see how they do, but ND's strength on defense is their secondary, which is kind of irrelevant in this case. I've never been a fan of former HC type retreads like Al Golden as a DC, so there's a chance Navy out-schemes the Irish in this one. Also, all Marcus Freeman has been talking about is injury avoidance in camp, and we've seen evidence that teams that run overly timid training camps struggle out of the gate. Overall, I think there's great value with the Middies here, and I think the only chance ND has to cover a number this big (especially on a complicated neutral site travel scenario) is if they go bonkers in the passing game. For that to happen, someone will have to explode at the WR receiver position, and there's been no evidence, even in fall camp, that they have anyone ready to do that.

I think you'll bounce back nicely this year.

Hard work pays off. Period.

For any CTG newbies, this is one of the BEST reads each week.
Thanks BAR. And to anyone new to the site...if you care to look at any previous threads, read ONLY the bowl thread from last year. My regular season thread has objectionable material.

Looks like I'm just gonna keep it to the one game. I was very close to laying it with La Tech, but now that it's flown past 11, I just don't want to do that. I'm being somewhat unreasonable about not just dropping a few bucks on the Bulldogs, but I want to be ore disciplined this year about laying significant amounts of points.

Having said that, here's why I was close to laying the points in this La Tech/FIU game: FIU won 4 games last year, but rest assured, they are in a very tough spot. About the only thing they truly have going for them is the competence of Mike McIntyre, who was probably the reason they figured out a way to win 4 games and not 1. One of those games was against LaTech, who last year were two different teams depending on whether their primary QB Parker McNeill played. If he did, they were competent. If he didn't, they were horrific on offense. Unfortunately for Sonny Cumbie, his defense was horrific regardless, so when McNeill was out, they were capable of losing to the FIUs of the world. Ultimately, La Tech is a competent program, and there's some inertia there regardless of who coaches it. They have Hank Bachmeier playing QB this year, and he'll be playing today, so with their very good receivers(Smoke Harris and Cyrus Allen(who somehow averaged 22 yards per reception despite the QB issues), they should have no issue moving the ball on FIU, who saw a complete exodus of the few good players they had last year on both sides of the ball. Tech's defense should be better(can't be worse), but there's isn't much evidence suggesting it'll be MUCH better. I have little doubt that La Tech will be up big at some point in this game, but now that the line has ascended past 11, garbage time, a bad, disinterested defense and Mike McIntyre make me almost expect a painful back door. If La Tech's offense just blows their doors off, I won't be surprised, but I just don't want a reason to stay up and sweat that one out.

The best part about only playing one game is that the worst you can do is 0-1. And I earned that loss for damn sure. Interesting that Navy's defense had such a hard time providing any resistance to Estime when they were such a good run defense last year, had the vast majority of their guys back and effectively played the same personnel that they held to 1.8 yards per carry last year. I think the threat of Hartman had something to do with it, and he did not disappoint. Frankly, neither did OC Parker. Credit to him as well. Navy effectively never stopped ND....the Irish only made it to 3rd down 7 times and converted 5 of them. One of the ones the missed they converted the 4th down and the only time they stalled they missed a FG.

Also completely unimpressed by Newberry. He coached scared, and Navy made a ton of dumb mistakes and a lack of attention to detail that you should never see from a service academy. When you bet on Navy you're assuming you won't have any shoddy ball security or balls snapped back to the goal line due to people not knowing the snap count. Total failure by Newberry, but admittedly, Navy has not started well in the openers in recent years.
I'm almost counting laying off La Tech as a win though. I thought they would dominate and they did. 458-185 yard edge, 28-9 first down edge, etc. By the box score, they should have won that game by 21+, but they just jacked around and Bachmeier did some of the same things that plagued him at Boise. Cumbie still has a lot to prove to say the least.

On to week 1. We'll see what happens.

Completely agree. Navy looked lost. Reallllly weird look for a service academy.
That deep ball where 2 WRs ran into each other on a clear bomb was a sight to see.
We gotta give Hartman some cred I guess too. He looks like a 25 year old or whatever playing QB

The thing about Louisiana Tech is that this week is the perfect time to bet them.

They were so so bad. I don’t buy into value of a couple of points based off box scores superseding the eye test that they’re one of the worse teams I’ve seen.

They were so so bad. I don’t buy into value of a couple of points based off box scores superseding the eye test that they’re one of the worse teams I’ve seen.

I was on them 2h -160 live for more than Id be comfortable ever betting again. I know nothing about SMU though. Need to look.

I was on them 2h -160 live for more than Id be comfortable ever betting again. I know nothing about SMU though. Need to look.
I had a big bet on FIU, so I’m comfortable with Tech looking bad. I think they were looking ahead to this one.

Plus you can be sure the Mustangs will share your opinion once they see the video. SMU has OU next.

Last edited:
Back