Week of October 18th Plays and Analysis Thread

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
42-30-2 +21.80 units

Very interesting week last week. For the record, had more on UGA as well but at the magic number of 13. Played that locally. Didn't see the 12 coming into play. So, I got a split on that game with a small profit. Sucks, that was easily the best capped game in my mind. Dropped 2.60 last week. I figured it was going to be due to happen. Either way, move forward from here after a quick recap of last week.

Recaps:

Georgia doubled up Tennessee in yardage but turnovers are what kept it relatively close. The fumble late second that set up the bomb and then the ridiculous fade pass(again) in third quarter going in. That was anywhere from a 20-28 point swing. Feel good how I capped game, in fact great. Not happy I got a bit greedy on it though. Shit happens.

So UCF scores 14 points on 78 yards total offense. Wow. A pick and kick return doomed the day. Not feeling like I got bad end here as Miami struggled too, but that being said it still hurts a bit. Marve was not good. I thought this would be a confidence game for him. That part was wrong. Teams combind to go 5-35 on third downs.

Texas was obviously the right play. They beat the spread by 17 points. Colt showed a lot of heart and played great. Bradford was incredible as well but two things happened in second half. Texas got some stops and the linebacker being out opened up the middle of the field for Texas. Beautiful thing. Both run defenses were stellar. Was a great game to watch and truely enjoyed it.

I think the ECU-Virginia final was deceiving. You may call me nuts but there was two critical plays that totally changed this game. The Pirates kicked a couple FG's and were up 6-0 late first quarter(and had missed a FG). In a span of three drives Peerman had a 60 and 80 yard TD run. Up to this point Verica looked very below average. Well, bingo bango bongo. The long runs got the defense off balance and Verica started playing well. From there it was just too much catchup. Nice couple weeks for UVA though.

Utah and Wyoming was an interesting game. Not capped great but we got the win. I expected more from Utahs offense to say the least. That being said, Wyoming with all the turnovers got me back some of the cash from weeks one and two.

Tamu is sill garbage and I should have known. Turnovers for a score hurt but it was the third quarter that was the big downer. Two seperate double digit play drives ending in downs. Not good. Both offenses lit up the scoreboard. Only 18 total possessions in this game. Unreal. Under backers cannot like seeing that whatsoever.

Michigan State is showing that Dantonio toughness. They capitalized on many mistakes by Northwestern and played that conservative, tough nosed style and got 37 points with just under 300 yards offense. Northwestern did get 459 yards but 92 of that was on final garbage drive and 327 of it was in second half playing catchup. The sequence at end of first half when Bacher got picked in EZ and MSU took it down for the score was the big part of this Sparty win.

Don't even want to talk about the Wisconsin game. No need to. Was an embarrasement.

Think I capped Stanford game pretty well too. They had two guys break 100 yards. As I said, much like the New Mexico game where Zona couldn't stop the run. If they hadn't scored late I was glad for line shopping and getting my number.

Games I really should have been on:

-Minnesota. We talked in Marlos thread on Friday about the letdown spot. I guess I was just trying to limit my plays. Not good though. If its a play its a play.
-Notre Dame. Rapidly improving. Especially after Bob valued thid bad boy up.
-Iowa. Great defense stops that offense. Average offense explodes against bad defense. Under a TD on oad. Ughh.

Locked in this week:

Nevada -20 -110 3 units
Arizona PK -110 3 units
Missouri +7 -110 2 units
Northern Illinois -7 -110 2 units
Iowa -3 -120 2 units
Kansas +21 -120 2 units
USC 1H -23.5 -105 2 units
Georgia -14 -120
Scary +110
Miami(Oh) +10 -120

Back with thoughts later. Wanted to get the thread rolling a little quicker than last few weeks.

Last edited:
As far as chewing on, Georgia Tech will be a play. Missed the good number. Waiting to see if I can get at least a FG..if not will go with the short positive moneyline most likely.

UCLA run defense from last week scares me. I gotta dig into that game a bit more. Kraft had a really nice game up in Eugene though. Coming into his own. Need to hear the resident expert on UCLA football Yanks take as well.

Like I said, MSU OSU line is about what I predicted. Michigan State is usually ready for that old John L blowup in October stretch. Well, this kinda game defines the short tenure of Coach Dantonio. I think he will have them ready. As I pointed out in the recaps, the defense played better than the numbers indicate and biggest of all made plays. I think Ringer will really have to bruise for yards. This game is more about how they do against OSU's offense. Buckeye nation needs to let me know what happened last week. Thats a pretty average at best Purdue defense. Pryor looked a bit outta sync imo from what I watched. I do think MSU can limit Beanie. They won't stop him but I think they can keep him around 100 or so if they bring their "A" defense

Like basically every play there except the msu game you are chewing on.

enjoyed the recaps of last weeks games. Great call on Stanford BTW , they outplayed Arizona in a big way.

I watched every play of the miami florida game and i think you cover that game a vast majorityof the time , BAR. I wouldn't regret that bet ... sort of the opposite of the UTAH bet which cashed.

Texas not only beat the spread by 17 but did it after that horrnedous roughing the kicker penalty. well capped game....how did i not bet my boys ?

the mich st game was one where if one team got ahead a bunch early it was going to be hard on the other to catch up. mich st jumped em.

If you haven't ordered which games you are gonna talk about first , can you start with msu and niu ? hehe.

Northern Illinois vs Toledo

Situational Play at its finest. We have a few factors to look over here. First of all, Toledo just came off one of their biggest wins ever. It was the first win for a MAC school ever at Michigan Stadium. Williams set a stadium record with 20 catches and they got a fortuitous bounce off the crossbar to win it. Lopata is such a solid kicker. Still amazed he missed that. That being said, this team has played like garbage all year. Yeah, they had a good game against Fresno in a home night game where the other team was in a major letdown spot. Other than that, nothing special. The offense managed six points on Saturday. Half of those were after a interception game them great field position. Their defense held them in but I credit Michigans ineptude more than the Rockets defense. I am sure the campus is going crazy all week after that. As well they should. These kids heads are inflated no doubt and this is a classic letdown spot on the road. Heres the kicker though, last years game at the Glass Bowl was a major blowout. Not a 3 TD's blowout but a 70-21 ass-kicking. I am sure the NIU players remember this very well. NIU defense played nicely last week. They as well only gave up 6 points in the win over Miami-Oh. They have had a solid year. They have been in every loss, losing by 4, 3 and 4 points I believe.

So we get a flat 7 at home in a revenge game against a team off one of its highest wins ever that played over its head and should return to normalcy.

Sign me up.

Northern Illinois vs Toledo

Situational Play at its finest. We have a few factors to look over here. First of all, Toledo just came off one of their biggest wins ever. It was the first win for a MAC school ever at Michigan Stadium. Williams set a stadium record with 20 catches and they got a fortuitous bounce off the crossbar to win it. Lopata is such a solid kicker. Still amazed he missed that. That being said, this team has played like garbage all year. Yeah, they had a good game against Fresno in a home night game where the other team was in a major letdown spot. Other than that, nothing special. The offense managed six points on Saturday. Half of those were after a interception game them great field position. Their defense held them in but I credit Michigans ineptude more than the Rockets defense. I am sure the campus is going crazy all week after that. As well they should. These kids heads are inflated no doubt and this is a classic letdown spot on the road. Heres the kicker though, last years game at the Glass Bowl was a major blowout. Not a 3 TD's blowout but a 70-21 ass-kicking. I am sure the NIU players remember this very well. NIU defense played nicely last week. They as well only gave up 6 points in the win over Miami-Oh. They have had a solid year. They have been in every loss, losing by 4, 3 and 4 points I believe.

So we get a flat 7 at home in a revenge game against a team off one of its highest wins ever that played over its head and should return to normalcy.

Sign me up.

yup. situationally its great and i like the NIU defense as well.

Nicholson didnt play against miami ohio ... do you know if he is a go vs toldeo ?? And i suppose it doesnt matter much ?

Nice catch on the boxscore ... forgot that miami oh td was on a punt return and tennessee only td was on a perfectly thrown bomb.

i think you are on to something .....

Too me, it doesn't matter. At RB and QB they have guys who have all played and done fine enough. Guessing we won't know for a bit.

Liking MSU this week BAR. I think they can make it to the showdown with PSU undefeated inconference. I'll have some thoughts up.

Is Threet the qb or what the hell?? I really like Threet, I don't know what RR is doing. I mean Threet is just as mobile as Sheraton and I think Threet can pass it as well as ANYONE in the Big Ten. IMO I don't think Pat White makes much of a difference in this offense, qb is not the main issue at Mich, and I know not many will agree with that.

---Michigan I think matches up defensively as well as anyone in the conf with that PSU Oline.

Like basically every play there except the msu game you are chewing on.

enjoyed the recaps of last weeks games. Great call on Stanford BTW , they outplayed Arizona in a big way.

I watched every play of the miami florida game and i think you cover that game a vast majorityof the time , BAR. I wouldn't regret that bet ... sort of the opposite of the UTAH bet which cashed.

Texas not only beat the spread by 17 but did it after that horrnedous roughing the kicker penalty. well capped game....how did i not bet my boys ?

the mich st game was one where if one team got ahead a bunch early it was going to be hard on the other to catch up. mich st jumped em.

If you haven't ordered which games you are gonna talk about first , can you start with msu and niu ? hehe.

if you're going to talk about the horrible roughing the kicker penalty, then you better mention the 2 ridiculously bad late hit calls on McCoy.

if you're going to talk about the horrible roughing the kicker penalty, then you better mention the 2 ridiculously bad late hit calls on McCoy.
And if you're going to mention those 2 bad late hit calls, then you should mention that OU's player wasn't in the end zone on their first touchdown, or the blatant holding that OU's tackles were getting away with on Orakpo all day long. Let's just face it, the reffing in that game was really shitty both ways. I was there in the end zone, and saw at least 4 obvious holds on Orakpo that kept him from getting to Bradford.

And if you're going to mention those 2 bad late hit calls, then you should mention that OU's player wasn't in the end zone on their first touchdown, or the blatant holding that OU's tackles were getting away with on Orakpo all day long. Let's just face it, the reffing in that game was really shitty both ways. I was there in the end zone, and saw at least 4 obvious holds on Orakpo that kept him from getting to Bradford.

Agree there. Reffing was awful. Loadholt held, mugged, and even tackled Orakpo during the 2nd half as he was getting beat bad. The last 2 drives should have included 40 yards in penalties against OU.

BAR--Fuck you on Mizzou but I agree. I'd take the points.

michigan st is a great play this upcoming weekend. Ohio states dline is the worst its been in quite some time. Those guys get blown off the ball every play and get absolutely no pressure. They would have lost to wisconsin if wisconsin did not give them gifts by trying to throw the ball. Unless OSU finds 2 new DT's by saturday, ringer will have a field day running 35-40 times. The only way I change my mind slightly on this bet is if boeckman gets to play some series this weekend. If he does, that will open up the passing game and allow osu offense to score some points. Pryor is a stud but his decision making is still too slow at times. Right now I just dont see osu's dline being able to make enough plays to keep ringer from running all day and controlling the game.

Zip..the Dline lived in the backfield on Sat...best game they've had in two years..

Interested on the Lawrence Wilson injury though.

I like OSU -3.5

The Purdue win was typical Tressell ball- Defense played great, offensive playcalling was highly conservative trying to avoid the turnover. Beanie is still not 100%, and had half the carries he should have had, Prior thinks too hard and just needs to play out there....

Michigan State has beaten RB Javon Ringer to death so far, but no doubt is the best back OSU will face all year. QB Hoyer has struggled at times, but is a returning starter and can get it done. Look for OSU D to try and stop Ringer first and force Hoyer to throw to beat them. Both MSU players are also from Ohio and have never won against tOSU.

Both teams are made up very similarly, Mark Dantonio (MSU coach) is a mentor of Tressell and an old OSU DC (2001-2003), the buckeyes have the edge in talent. If both teams try to impose their will on the other, OSU will have a slight overall edge, BUT Ringer is the wildcard and could spell trouble to OSU's front four, BY FAR their weakest link despite having plenty of depth (they are improving albeit...)

As an OSU homer, I like the Bucks to win by at least 4-7pts, BUT an MSU win is definitely conceivable for cashing a ML play. Ringer would have to get it going and at least 25 carries which he very well may end up doing but I'm betting OSU will contain him...

Also FWIW public tickets for this game are STILL on sale, I expect a ton of OSU fans to gobble these up and make the 3-4 drive which should marginalize any home field advantage. I know I'll be making the trip (got 2 20-30 yd line :tiphat:)

I don't think OSU loses this game, but I wouldn't lay more than 3 with them. Watching them everyweek I feel like they just do enough to win the game. Since Pryor has been starting everything has slowed down, and the games have been boring. I don't see much scoring in this one. Only play i would consider is the under.

O-State, regarding Threet. I didn't know this till after the game but he got hurt in first half and thats why Sheridan played in the second half. He has made great improvements. He did seem a bit off on Saturday though. Not sure when he got hurt so not sure if that was it or not. Interesting take on the trenches of UM defense vs PSU offense.

Cubsker and bersrker, that game was terrible as far as the officiating goes. Its too bad too because the game itself was magnicficent. When it was all said and down the team that should have won did but its too bad the marquee game on a Saturday attracts such a rough officiating crew.

RJ, this is just a classic overreaction line in my estimation. We know that Texas has the 103rd pass defense(correct). I think Missouri got cuaght in a lookahead last week. Too bad for their NC title chances and Daniles bid for Heisman. That being said, this is a dayum good team still. Its a big game but Texas is going to be a little flat as well. I expect a great game that goes to the final gun and think Mizzou can even win it on the field.

All the OSU guys, great thoughts so far. Thats what I was looking for. Dankya

Smokedawg, you finally get that decade of frustartion outta yas don't ya? I think the line is highely inflated but at same point I wouldn't touch it just due to the fact that PSU may run it up a bit in all honesty.

Smokedawg, you finally get that decade of frustartion outta yas don't ya? I think the line is highely inflated but at same point I wouldn't touch it just due to the fact that PSU may run it up a bit in all honesty.

Im not believing we're gonna beat Michigan until theres four zeros on the clock and we have more points than them...even then Ill have to re check it a couple of times afterwards to make sure those cheating bastards dont convince the refs put more time on the clock and run out and score the seven or eight TDs theyll need to win the game while PSU players are out at the bar...

Threet didn't practice today, but RRod expects him to go Saturday..Odoms, Warren, B. Graham should be back as well.

GL BAR..

Like I said, MSU OSU line is about what I predicted. Michigan State is usually ready for that old John L blowup in October stretch. Well, this kinda game defines the short tenure of Coach Dantonio. I think he will have them ready. As I pointed out in the recaps, the defense played better than the numbers indicate and biggest of all made plays. I think Ringer will really have to bruise for yards. This game is more about how they do against OSU's offense. Buckeye nation needs to let me know what happened last week. Thats a pretty average at best Purdue defense. Pryor looked a bit outta sync imo from what I watched. I do think MSU can limit Beanie. They won't stop him but I think they can keep him around 100 or so if they bring their "A" defense[/quote]

Alimony,
Been looking forward to this game and listening to 1130 for a couple of weeks. The bottom line is. MSU is not expecting to win this game. Bought the half point for the time being only for small action. I told myself I would be a spectator for this one but still believe its the OSU by roughly ten.
Look for some redemption from OSU's offense. BOL:popcorn:

I agree farm. I'm taking osu this weekend. I was at the game sat and Beanie looked like he got turf monstered about 3 times. He was up and running then he was down. The Dline had pressure all day long. Freeman and Lauranitus will help take care of ringer. Pryor had an off game. Wasn't in the same form as I've seen him over the last few weeks. Alot of this past weeks problems for the bucks imo were the plays that were being called. I'm a big Tressel fan but I would have went with a few different packages and plays. The offense will get theirs this weekend. And the defense will score also. Just my $0.02

Tressel does that at least two big Ten games a year...If he sees a bit of the offense is struggling and his defense is dominant that day, he shuts it down scheme wise offensively...this is what happened Saturday..

The tOSU DL played as well as they could have...the LB's roamed free for the first time this year really...when Tress saw that, the new objective for the offense was to not turn the ball over....he takes W's this way...frustraiting for fans...frustrating for those that like offense..frustrating for offensive players (see Beanie's comments)...frustrating for those laying 18.5...but JT could give two shits...he doesn't care about AP votes....

Purdue had a 53 yd FG and didn't really snif anything else the whole game...it's his style and proves correct more times than not...when it comes to Smash mouth football.

Michigan Alum Braylon Edwards knows whats up...

braylonedwardspsu01.jpg

Tressel does that at least two big Ten games a year...If he sees a bit of the offense is struggling and his defense is dominant that day, he shuts it down scheme wise offensively...this is what happened Saturday..

The tOSU DL played as well as they could have...the LB's roamed free for the first time this year really...when Tress saw that, the new objective for the offense was to not turn the ball over....he takes W's this way...frustraiting for fans...frustrating for those that like offense..frustrating for offensive players (see Beanie's comments)...frustrating for those laying 18.5...but JT could give two shits...he doesn't care about AP votes....

Purdue had a 53 yd FG and didn't really snif anything else the whole game...it's his style and proves correct more times than not...when it comes to Smash mouth football.

Totally agree with your thoughts on JT. As far as he's concerned He is here to make sure his team wins games, thats that. That being said I still like tOSU this weekend alot. I'm sure you'll see Boeckman a series or two this week.

OSU's best starting DE Lawrence Wilson now out for the year torn ACL, line has moved to -3 per bookmaker....

I just haven't been impressed with OSU's Oline this year to be honest. I don't think it's the schemes, it's that the line just isn't that good.

Wisconsin @ Iowa

Per Kyles request this is the next write-up. I won't try and dazzle you with a lot of numbers. This one sets up pretty well in my estimation.

We can start by saying that Iowa is just a few plays away from being undefeated. They are not a sexy team but they get the job done in a professional manner and more than anything in my opinion are getting better as each week rolls on. Please don't think I am using last weeks offensive outburst at IU as a baramoter for this game either. Did I like it? Absolutely. Sometimes a game like that can really boost the confidence of an offense. Btw, Iowa is a top 35 offensive team in the country this year numbers wise. They are very balanced, within about 10 yards of each other rushing and passing. Stansi has really gotten more comfortable as well...

Last Three Games:

12-20 184 yards and 2 TD's
15-22 158 yards and 1 TD
21-30 238 yards and 1 TD

The best part of this team is their defense. Look at how they really shutdown/contained two great backs in McCoy and Ringer. Thats impressive right there. Its a hard-nosed defense giving up just 10.8 ppg. We are going to match that up against a struggling Wisconsin offense and its a recipe for good things to come.

The biggest part of this game though is what has happened to each team during their season. Iowa has had heartbreaking losses sorta against Pittsburgh and Michigan State. They also blew a 14 point second qtr lead at home to Northwestern. They coulda been down in the dumps last week in Bloomington. They weren't. They went out and rolled the Hoosiers with ease. That was a letdown game if their ever was one after the three consecutive losses. Now, they come home and know they still can get a top 3-4 finish in the Big Ten. Meanwhile....The Badgers season of discontent started in a late-Septemeber Saturday in Michigan. Since that 4th quarter nothing has really gone right. The team just isn't that great though. They were losing outright to Marshall, should have lost to Fresno and just got humiliated at home to the Nittany Lions. Their mindset has to be trash. At best they get a shit bowl. BCS and even Big Ten Title hopes have been negated. Now after two night losses in Madison they go on the road to face a very tough Iowa squad.

I honestly think Wisconsin is lucky to score 10. Me thinks thats being generous. Iowa will wear them down in 2nd half and coast the rest of the way.

Iowa 20-6

Very good article in Tee's thread too I am sure you have read Kyle and most...but for those who have yet too..

Very good article in Tee's thread too I am sure you have read Kyle and most...but for those who have yet too..

Tee has been all over this iowa team all year and cant say as i blame him. they are good everywhere we like them to be good as cappers other than qb and as you pointed out that is getting a little better each week

Tee has been all over this iowa team all year and cant say as i blame him. they are good everywhere we like them to be good as cappers other than qb and as you pointed out that is getting a little better each week

I know he has. Thats why I was glad too see him on it weven after I had played it. No doubt about it. Not a sexy team, and gets undervalued at times by Vegas. Not a public team whatsoever.

i'll try to keep my bias in check, but i can't deny that the homer in me loves ucla this weekend lol. and to be honest i've seen very little of furd this season so keep that in mind.

UCLA D :

correct me if im wrong, but i think they primarily run a pro-style offense, which is a huge factor since UCLA's D matches up really well. its one of the reasons they've managed to keep sc's O in check the past two seasons. the personnel is a much better fit playing that style than vs. offenses that spread em out and run outta shotgun every play (in addition to Walker being more comfortable scheming against it). price and harwell are monsters in the middle but spread offenses can neutralize them. but a pro-style offense that relies on the power rushing game? those two studs should feast on saturday.
so despite ucla giving up 300+ rushing yards and stanford rushing for nearly 300 last week, i don't see stanford coming into the rose bowl and rushing with nearly the success one might expect simply looking at the stats.

UCLA O:

i hate craft. i love him for what he did in the second half vs. tenn and i kno he's improving, but the guy has no future in the program and straight up can't throw it further than 15 yards. Neu admitted as much saying its not in his personality to throw deep (LOL). the oline is coming along. jake dean has been the center the past couple weeks cuz of an injury and has been a very pleasant surprise and has probably locked up that position until he graduates. with palcic (former wisci oline coach) and chow leading the way, things are only going to get better. but they're still young and inexperienced and when the Defense knows your QB isn't capable of going vertical, its tough to penetrate that defense.

terrence austin has a strained neck and a concussion his status is unknown, as is bell's, who might be out with a bum ankle. i think both are 50-50 at this point. true frosh Derrick Coleman would be the guy at RB. kid is a fucking stud. sc made a late run at him trying to steal him away and now i know why. i don't know how, but dude averages 6.1 ypc. its fucking nuts.

i think the team is confident they should win this game, which combined with their desperation, is a good thing.

also i need to mention this, did anyone see UCLA's onside kick attempt this past week? i dont understand why every single football team doesn't do it that way. have the punter and kicker line up on opposite sides of the ball with the recovery team split, half on one sideline, the other half on the other. the hands team has to spread out and can't overload on one side since they don't know which side the ball is going to. its fukin brilliant and it would worked except the two ucla players collided with each other going up for the ball lol.

Some Michigan Notes

Injury update
Besides Threet, another player deemed questionable for the Penn State game is junior running back Brandon Minor.
After suffering a rib injury while scoring the Wolverines' only touchdown against Toledo, Minor sat out the rest of the game. Postgame X-rays revealed nothing more than bruising, Rodriguez said, but Minor "has to be able to protect himself (on the field). We'll see how that goes during the week." Minor is the team's third-leading rusher, with 86 yards. If Minor can't play, the team's top three tailbacks will be freshman starter Sam McGuffie, redshirt junior Kevin Grady and freshman Michael Shaw, who verbally committed to Penn State before deciding to attend Michigan.
Rodriguez said that three starters - defensive end Brandon Graham (leg infection), slot receiver Martavious Odoms (shoulder) and cornerback Donovan Warren (leg) - are expected to play Saturday. A trio of backups -Â wide receiver Junior Hemingway (mononucleosis), linebacker Austin Panter (shoulder) and running back Carlos Brown (foot) -Â will be out.
Feagin may play
After saying in early September that freshman quarterback Justin Feagin would redshirt this season, Rodriguez's plans have apparently changed. The coach said Monday that he's looking at using Feagin at a new position, slot receiver.
"I wish we would have gotten him in the game Saturday (against Toledo)," Rodriguez said.
Slot receiver is one of Michigan's thinnest positions, currently manned by Odoms and back-up Toney Clemons. But Rodriguez didn't rule out trying Feagin at quarterback, either, if necessary.
"Obviously, with Threet's situation we have some tough, physical games coming up," Rodriguez said. "You have to have some quarterbacks ready. (Feagin) will take some reps at quarterback, too, but he's way behind in that regard. So it's more for him in the slot."
If Feagin does see action, he will be the 10th true freshman to play for the Wolverines this season.
Lopata feeling OK
Punter Zoltan Mesko, who's also the holder on placekicks, said Michigan kicker K.C. Lopata is "doing fine" after he missed a 26-yard field-goal attempt at the end of the 13-10 loss to Toledo.
"He'll always be a great kicker," Mesko said of Lopata, who has made 15 of 19 career field-goal attempts. "You just have to forget about something that happened in the past. You can't do anything about it, no regrets, so move on."
Michigan State game time
Michigan's Oct. 25 home game against No. 20 Michigan State is scheduled for a 3:30 p.m. telecast. The game will be shown on ABC.
Squib kicks
Michigan is 10-3 all-time against Penn State, and has won nine straight in the rivalry. ... The Wolverines have two players from Pennsylvania on the roster; Clemons and reserve defensive tackle Jason Kates. ... Two Nittany Lions were named Big Ten Players of the Week after a 48-7 win over Wisconsin. They are quarterback Daryll Clark, who had a career-best 244 passing yards, and defensive end Aaron Maybin, who had 3.5 tackles for loss, one sack, two forced fumbles and a pass breakup.

Sparty Article

EAST LANSING -- When it comes to Michigan State's upcoming game against Ohio State, familiarity could breed confusion.
MSU coach Mark Dantonio was the Buckeyes' defensive coordinator under Jim Tressel from 2001-03. He worked for him at Youngstown State from 1986-90 and has faced him three times as a head coach -- twice with Cincinnati and last season with MSU.
"In terms of playing against coach Tress, this is the fourth time and I'm 0-3," Dantonio said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. "But this will be the first time we play them at home, so that will be exciting for us."
The No. 20 Spartans (6-1 overall, 3-0 Big Ten) will meet No. 12 Ohio State (6-1, 3-0) in a game with conference championship and national ranking implications at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Spartan Stadium.
From 1983-84, Dantonio was a graduate assistant coach at Ohio State while Tressel coached Buckeyes quarterbacks, receivers and running backs.
"You spend three years in one place, and five years in another place, and two years in another place with someone, you get to know that person. That person also gets to know you," Dantonio said.
"So it goes both ways there in terms of, do we know what he likes to call? I know he likes to break tendencies. So who knows what he's going to call? Will he break the tendency by doing the same thing he did before to break the tendency? There's always things going on."
Dantonio isn't certain what to expect from his own team.
The Spartans are ninth in the Big Ten in total defense, but they are first in the league and sixth in the nation in red zone defense.
Opponents have scored 60.9 percent of the time they reached the MSU red zone with eight touchdowns and six field goals. The Spartans have stopped scoring drives by forcing three fumbles, intercepting two passes and making two stops on fourth down.
"When you look at that as a coach, it just means your players are developing confidence," Dantonio said. "In my mind, it means they're figuring out that they can win when their backs are up against the wall, and when those things happen, you have a chance."
By contrast, Ohio State is second in the conference in total defense but ninth in red zone defense, allowing opponents to score 84.6 percent of the time.
Recent transfer and Lowell native Keith Nichol will play a vital role as the scout team quarterback as he tries to get the Spartans' defense prepared for the run-or-pass threat presented by Buckeyes true freshman quarterback Terrelle Pryor.
"We'll devise certain drills that will allow (Nichol) to improvise and do some of those things," Dantonio said. "It's not the real deal, but we can try to simulate it the best we can."
Dantonio is expecting a super-charged atmosphere and MSU is trying to juice up the electricity by asking fans to wear a green shirt or jacket for a "green out."
However, Dantonio isn't confident Pryor can be rattled because he has demonstrated uncommon poise so far.
Pryor played well in a limited role against the University of Southern California in the Los Angeles Coliseum and as the starter at Wisconsin on Oct. 4.
"He played very well in the Wisconsin game and won it for them in the last six minutes so I think he's ready to play on the road," Dantonio said. "It takes a special kind of guy to play as a freshman, and they've got a true freshman quarterback and a true freshman center (Mike Brewster) right now.
"That's a huge statement for those two young men, not just in terms of their ability, but in terms of their maturity as people."
Winston shines
True freshman running back Glenn Winston turned heads when he returned the opening kickoff at Northwestern for 50 yards, lowering his shoulder and flattening the Wildcats kicker along the way, and running two others back 22 and 34 yards.
None of the backups in MSU's stable of running backs is going to beat out Javon Ringer. However, at 6-foot-2, 218 pounds, Winston stands out amongst his shorter backfield counterparts.
Winston runs with explosive power that has Dantonio looking at him as a possible complement to Ringer, in the same way bullish Jehuu Caulcrick was last season.
"Yeah, we've given some thought to it," Dantonio said. "We have some other backs who are very capable, so we'll see."
The others are redshirt junior A.J. Jimmerson (5-foot-10, 208 pounds) and redshirt freshmen Andre Anderson (5-foot-9, 186 pounds) and Ashton Leggett (5-foot-11, 228 pounds).

Been on them for a few years actually and as BAR says, they are under the radar , always have been and I prefer to keep it that way..wink wink.

I am sure you guys are aware of this but coming into 2008, Ferentz in his 10th year is 61-45-2 ATS... Even better at home..And no one talks about them. Thats under the radar:smiley_acbe:

GL this week BAR:cheers:

i actually am kind of a hater towards MSU but i like them this weekend.
MSU is not expecting to win this game.
I don't think that can be further from the truth. Already there is a lot of excitement around campus and I think the fans will be riled up big time seeing as this is the first game in awhile that sparty has been able to prove something. I have a feeling MSU wins this game.

Seems kind of silly to waste Feagins redshirt halfway through the season. If Michigan was 4-2 or even 3-3 and RR thought he could help get them into a bowl I would be fine with it but the season is essentially over, mine as well save him for next year??

OM, They are burning it because they don't have anything to lose. He is more than likely gone after the season, if he doesn't get any better.

Just curious hilldog...why do you think you see Boeckman?

I see no chance barring injury.

Well jump just like w/ minny. I think Tressel will throw Boeckman in an a series or two. MSU is preparing for Pryor and the quick qb plays. Not necessarily the spread em out like pb&j and put the ball in the air. Plus Boeckman really cracks when the pressures on him. I just don't see how he can feel pressured now the the youngin has come in and stole his glory. I'm not sayin he's playing more than a fraction of the game. And what the hell do I know, I am be completely off-base but what the hell are these discussions anyways.....thoughts, feelings. No matter what I still like the Buckeyes sat. Beanie and TP will have a bigger game than the last few......another feeling.

EAST LANSING -- When it comes to Michigan State's upcoming game against Ohio State, familiarity could breed confusion.
MSU coach Mark Dantonio was the Buckeyes' defensive coordinator under Jim Tressel from 2001-03. He worked for him at Youngstown State from 1986-90 and has faced him three times as a head coach -- twice with Cincinnati and last season with MSU.
"In terms of playing against coach Tress, this is the fourth time and I'm 0-3," Dantonio said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. "But this will be the first time we play them at home, so that will be exciting for us."
The No. 20 Spartans (6-1 overall, 3-0 Big Ten) will meet No. 12 Ohio State (6-1, 3-0) in a game with conference championship and national ranking implications at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Spartan Stadium.
From 1983-84, Dantonio was a graduate assistant coach at Ohio State while Tressel coached Buckeyes quarterbacks, receivers and running backs.
"You spend three years in one place, and five years in another place, and two years in another place with someone, you get to know that person. That person also gets to know you," Dantonio said.
"So it goes both ways there in terms of, do we know what he likes to call? I know he likes to break tendencies. So who knows what he's going to call? Will he break the tendency by doing the same thing he did before to break the tendency? There's always things going on."
Dantonio isn't certain what to expect from his own team.
The Spartans are ninth in the Big Ten in total defense, but they are first in the league and sixth in the nation in red zone defense.
Opponents have scored 60.9 percent of the time they reached the MSU red zone with eight touchdowns and six field goals. The Spartans have stopped scoring drives by forcing three fumbles, intercepting two passes and making two stops on fourth down.
"When you look at that as a coach, it just means your players are developing confidence," Dantonio said. "In my mind, it means they're figuring out that they can win when their backs are up against the wall, and when those things happen, you have a chance."
By contrast, Ohio State is second in the conference in total defense but ninth in red zone defense, allowing opponents to score 84.6 percent of the time.
Recent transfer and Lowell native Keith Nichol will play a vital role as the scout team quarterback as he tries to get the Spartans' defense prepared for the run-or-pass threat presented by Buckeyes true freshman quarterback Terrelle Pryor.
"We'll devise certain drills that will allow (Nichol) to improvise and do some of those things," Dantonio said. "It's not the real deal, but we can try to simulate it the best we can."
Dantonio is expecting a super-charged atmosphere and MSU is trying to juice up the electricity by asking fans to wear a green shirt or jacket for a "green out."
However, Dantonio isn't confident Pryor can be rattled because he has demonstrated uncommon poise so far.
Pryor played well in a limited role against the University of Southern California in the Los Angeles Coliseum and as the starter at Wisconsin on Oct. 4.
"He played very well in the Wisconsin game and won it for them in the last six minutes so I think he's ready to play on the road," Dantonio said. "It takes a special kind of guy to play as a freshman, and they've got a true freshman quarterback and a true freshman center (Mike Brewster) right now.
"That's a huge statement for those two young men, not just in terms of their ability, but in terms of their maturity as people."
Winston shines
True freshman running back Glenn Winston turned heads when he returned the opening kickoff at Northwestern for 50 yards, lowering his shoulder and flattening the Wildcats kicker along the way, and running two others back 22 and 34 yards.
None of the backups in MSU's stable of running backs is going to beat out Javon Ringer. However, at 6-foot-2, 218 pounds, Winston stands out amongst his shorter backfield counterparts.
Winston runs with explosive power that has Dantonio looking at him as a possible complement to Ringer, in the same way bullish Jehuu Caulcrick was last season.
"Yeah, we've given some thought to it," Dantonio said. "We have some other backs who are very capable, so we'll see."
The others are redshirt junior A.J. Jimmerson (5-foot-10, 208 pounds) and redshirt freshmen Andre Anderson (5-foot-9, 186 pounds) and Ashton Leggett (5-foot-11, 228 pounds).

The highlighted parts in that post benefit tosu in my opinion. Total offense and defense are more indicative of future performance than RZ efficiency. Atleast in my opinion. Also , I remember some of the failures in the michigan state redzone for iowa and they were what i would call unforced errors by the offense , not stellar defense or scheme by the mich st D.

Agree with that or do you put a lot of emphasis on RZ % ??

hehehe a green out.

No, I agree.

I highlighted that so people could come to own conclusions.

But def. side your way. MSU has bent and not broke at times.

Thanks Junky,

Was hoping to get your insights on the Bruins as well.

Mucho Gracias

don't add them, unless u get a +3 or better.

ucla isn't having much success stopping the run...and that's exactly how stanford embarrased arizona last week, with the run.

and with these qbs...well, aint no one gonna look pretty throwing the ball.

anyhow, this is one of the few games im not touching...either side.

oh, and GL with the rest...cept zona. might wanna buy off of that one. ;)

as for the msu lean...don't think they can score on ohio st enough, fwiw.

good add with kansas...and pretty much like (have) everything else. :shake:

Back