Week 8 ML Dogs

ProV1Colt

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
WOW!

What a weekend. I am still recovering from the weekend GBO

@s--k said it best in one of the threads last week, something like 16 SU ML Dogs won? WOW

On to Week 8, there has to be a few out there this week.

Let's see what we got fellas, and I hope some or All of you cashed some tickets from last weeks thread.

We are ALL in this to make a little or a lot here and there, I hope you guys find some nuggets in this thread every week.

Again, THANK YOU TO EVERYONE that contributes to the thread,

Lets find us some ML Dogs in Week 8

Sniff Em out Smokey

GBO

I will get the ball rolling with 4 I think have a legit shot at winning outright and one crazy +20pt dog that could surprise…

Home dogs
Temple
Buffalo

Road dogs
Marshall
Memphis

Crazy ML dog
NMSU

Last edited:
Yes, 18 underdogs won outright last Wednesday-Saturday

Lots of teams have a single upset, some have two and many teams have been upset, sometimes more than once. These remain the best winners, and losers:

3x winner:

Kansas has won 3 as dogs of 13.5, 8.5 and 3.5 (last one 10/1)

3x losers:

App State has lost 3 as favorites of 2.5, 6.5 and 19 (last one 10/8)
Marshall has lost 3 as favorites of 17, 3.5 and 10.5 (last one 10/12)
*note Marshall also has won as 20.5 dog at ND*
Nevada has lost 3 as favorites of 4, 3.5 and 6.5 (last one 10/15)
Northwestern has lost 3 of favorites of 10, 13.5 and 7.5 (last one 9/24)
Wisconsin has lost 3 as favorites of 17, 6.5 and 7 (last one 10/15)

A perplexing team, seems they always are a little for one reason or another...Eastern Michigan. They have pulled upsets of 20.5 and +6 pt dogs, yet lost straight up as 6.5 and 3.5 pt favorites. Tough team to line and gauge.

The greatness of E Michigan ?

My favorite team probably - I bet ON / AGAINST them most every week - fairly predictable

Slipped a bit lately - D has been really bad, but

fav 12-18 ats
dog 30-15
home 14-21
road 26-12
conf 26-23
NC 17-11
road dog 21-7
home fav 7-14
off W 15-21
off loss 23-11

They literally had no chance last week ha - they should win this week, or stay close

I will get the ball rolling with 4 I think have a legit shot at winning outright and one crazy +20pt dog that could surprise…

Home dogs
Temple
Buffalo
Tulane

Road dog
Marshall

Crazy ML dog
NMSU
The discussion thread shows Tulane -6. I haven't looked elsewhere.

I really don't like this spot for BYU. Off of Notre Dame and Arkansas now flying to "lowly" ol' Liberty?

Liberty was really fortunate to just beat Gardner-Webb though. Have to imagine that was a look ahead?

I really don't like this spot for BYU. Off of Notre Dame and Arkansas now flying to "lowly" ol' Liberty?

Liberty was really fortunate to just beat Gardner-Webb though. Have to imagine that was a look ahead?
Kinda has a similar feel to when BYU picked up that Coastal game a couple years ago and EVERYONE was on BYU. Fly across the country and Coastal simply outplayed them.

Kinda has a similar feel to when BYU picked up that Coastal game a couple years ago and EVERYONE was on BYU. Fly across the country and Coastal simply outplayed them.
I'm pretty disappointed in this BYU team. I have them RSW over. So they have to win out for me to cash. But they justve been out physicaled in the games vs the p5 teams this year.

Arkie was in a bad spot Saturday in Provo and they flat put whipped them in the 2nd half.

I'm pretty disappointed in this BYU team. I have them RSW over. So they have to win out for me to cash. But they justve been out physicaled in the games vs the p5 teams this year.

Arkie was in a bad spot Saturday in Provo and they flat put whipped them in the 2nd half.
Very tough team to gauge, always amazes me when they get outplayed physically. Shows how important Allgeier was to their game planning. Could move the chains and give the defense some rest.

The Liberty - GW game may mirror the Liberty - Akron game. While I have not looked at the GW game, I know their QB did not play vs Akron. The Liberty Akron game was the week following Liberty's 1 pt loss vs WF where I think they went for 2 and the win in the final minute. Liberty only beat Akron 21-12. Liberty's B game. Liberty then followed that up with a 14 pt win vs Old Dominion, who I'm not sure if I would call good, but ODU is atleast situationally good and gaining respect.

Note that Gardner Webb is pretty good despite being just 2-5. They only lost by 4 to Coastal, only lost to a previously ranked Elon by 6 and handed a bad Robert Morris team their worse loss compared to other opponents. I wouldn't necessarily hold Liberty's GW game against them especially given the location on the schedule and the game they had upcoming afterwards this week. Another B game. We have seen their A game, it was on display vs Wake Forest.

I was in this number. Remember it well

Nice analysis. I like it.

After such a feast last week, I anticipate this week to be much narrower. I had my best week of the year last week, not because I'm good really, but because so many dogs covered. I had 23 ML dog candidates written down, 7 won. Figured it out on paper, still would've been positive 162.50 had I played all of them. That is what is great about these, you don't have to win many to be positive, but it's difficult to justify playing 23! Or maybe even half that many. And it is difficult to pick the right ones. I played 11, more than usual, and only hit 2, so I didn't pick all the right ones and lost net money on them, but the great ATS results on those teams saved me.

It was easy for me to like so many games last week the way the lines were, this week feels like 2 weeks ago, when I had my worst week of the year, so for me it feels like a be careful week.

A game vs A game I'll take Duke vs Miami.

I think at as high of odds as there are on BC they are worth a shot. Wake has been this good before and the ACC teams have had teams as bad as BC before and this spread is out of line historically for Wake to lay. WF only outgained Army by 81y but won by 35. WF only outgained FSU by 12y but won by 10. Clemson outgained them by 112, Liberty outgained them by 35y. Is Wake really 21 pt favorite good? No. Is BC really 21 pt dog bad, probably. BC is 2-4 and off the bye and WF humbled them last year at home 41-10. I would think this game is important for BC and they likely view UConn and Duke as winnable games, so I'd suspect they come out of the bye looking to right the ship, go on a winning streak, whether they can or not is to be determined.

It's already been touched on here or elsewhere, but definitely like ECU even though I know ECU can and does things that hurt their chances most games. Just don't feel like UCF is that good. When you watch all or parts of their games and see how they start and how they look at half time, they aren't that good really. To their credit they are usually better in the 2H. ECU coulda shoulda woulda beat them last year but they blew it. ECU is pretty good, they just don't always get the W, but maybe they find a way to not blow it this time.

Also mentioned in the discussion thread how good of a dog Liberty is. As has been mentioned by others, where might BYU's heads be at the moment? Off two noncovering and frankly unimpressive wins vs WYO and Utah State then lose huge statement game vs Notre Dame and then follow that up by getting embarrassed at home vs Arkansas. It seems to me that this BYU teams wants to take the big time games very seriously, and they just lost 2 back-to-back and travel to Liberty, who is 6-1, although I don't think BYU is going to be that "up" for them and even if they wanted to be, off the last two games they played, can they be? Now, Liberty is not the same team without QB Kaiden Salter and he has missed the last 2 and 3 of the last 4. I will not ML Liberty if he is not playing. He may be injured and maybe he can't be effective as he is when 100%. Not sure, need to find out what is up.

I'm not big on Toledo and they keep costing me money for doubting them, although I can come up with a "yeah but" for the last 3 I've lost on them, bottom line, they win and they cover. Not real sure I want to ML Buffalo, but Bulls have been surprisingly good.

I'm a sucker for Bowling Green as dogs too, and that hasn't gone all that bad in a lot of games. Central Michigan continues to be off. It's not a light switch, they have been off all year and the game vs Akron showed it too. If BG plays like they did last week they can and will win I believe. Problem is, if BG plays like they did 2 weeks ago, they can and will get blown out.

Another team that just can't put it together is Kent. They have been better than Central Michigan and definitly have a pretty high ceiling if they play to their potential, but they have yet to do that for more than 2 quarters, be that in the 1H, 2H and never for a full game yet. Akron is Akron, so you know. Rivalry game. Kent shut them out last year. Zips have the O to hang, but their D could really hurt them vs an O like Kent. Ohio D is very bad also, Kent had over 700y on them, but did not produce a lot of pts for them. I think I am actually talking myself out of an Akron ML as I type.

Lots of small numbers and the bigger ones are pretty ugly dogs. I don't know, feels a lot like 2 weeks ago and that makes me hesitant. I'll look through the second half later.

1st pass thru I like these home doggies and 2 road doggies:

Buffalo
Nevada
New Mexico 1st Half
ECU
UTEP
Arkansas St.
Northwestern

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Tulsa @ Temple: normally I'd be excited that we have a Friday Night Home Conference Dog going on this week but I think I'll pass on this one. Temple got rolled by 57 pts last week, their on short rest, and I'm just not sure they're going to be able to bounce back quickly after getting so dismantled. Meanwhile, Philip Montgomery's team is off a bye week. His teams are 2-0 SU and 2-0 ATS as a road fav coming off a bye week. Additionally, his teams are 2-0 SU and 2-0 ATS as a road fav after playing Navy in their previous game. Methinks there is a pretty fair chance the Golden Hurricane will be at their best therefore I'm gonna pass but, if I had to make a play, laying the pts with Tulsa would be it. BOL on what you all decide.

Last edited:
@M.W. give us another one of your undefeated trends for this Cuse/Clemson game when you can....this game is most intriguing!

Cuse @ Clemson: Dabo Swinney has some incredible stats over his coaching career...he is 34-0 SU as a home fav coming home off a road win. He is also 5-0 SU and 5-0 ATS as a home fav after playing Florida State. Still my gut is telling me look further into this one as it might end up being closer than people think. What do you guys think?

Cuse @ Clemson: Dabo Swinney has some incredible stats over his coaching career...he is 34-0 SU as a home fav coming home off a road win. He is also 5-0 SU and 5-0 ATS as a home fav after playing Florida State. Still my gut is telling me look further into this one as it might end up being closer than people think. What do you guys think?

However, even though Coach Swinney is 4-0 SU as a home fav over the Orange, he is 1-3 ATS against them in those games. Splitting those stats a bit more, he is 2-0 SU but 0-2 ATS vs. the Orange when he has had to play them coming off a road win where they have won ATS by more than 10pts. See below. In both instances below Dino Babers' crew beat the spread by DDs...18pts in 2018 and 21pts in 2020. This time, however, Clemson had a tougher road game and still won ATS but only by 1-1.5pts depending on where you look. Call me crazy if you like as this is a small sample size for sure, but the tougher matchup that Clemson had last week coupled with the year Cuse is having....man I won't be surprised if Cuse has the upset of the week!!

dswinney.jpg

Took Clemson at open -14.5 and while it flipped under 14 I really don't think it matters. Bet against Cuse last week knowing full well if they beat NCSt I'd be against them today. Great situation for them to get steam rolled imo and playing just the team to oblige.

I think we’re dealing with a mini-situation. Clemson is 4-0 ATS this year against teams they didn’t beat by more than 10 points last year and 0-1 ATS versus those they did (Wake). Cuse was another close call that should have Clemson focused.

I don’t like the fact that Cuse has been at home the last five weeks, and their only road game was at UConn. It’s been a long time since they faced a hostile atmosphere like this.

I think we’re dealing with a mini-situation. Clemson is 4-0 ATS this year against teams they didn’t beat by more than 10 points last year and 0-1 ATS versus those they did (Wake). Cuse was another close call that should have Clemson focused.
@JROCK1966
Along similar lines, and incorporating your observation, run this one:

team = CLEM and season > 2008 and H and p:AW and -1.5 > P:ats margin > -19.5

7-1 ATS, +8.44 ppg

What do you guys think?

I don't know, do trends about winning at home after a road win or wins after playing Florida State really mean anything?

I was surprised at how small they looked next to the Arkansas guys

Their linemen are pretty close in size, but when Arkansas guys would break into the second level they were so much bigger they looked like they were running against high school guys

Last edited:
I don't know, do trends about winning at home after a road win or wins after playing Florida State really mean anything?
Sometimes they do; sometimes they don't. I have Clemson angles that certainly mean something. And, this week, anti-Duke and anti-Penn State angles that do as well.

@JROCK1966
Along similar lines, and incorporating your observation, run this one:

team = CLEM and season > 2008 and H and p:AW and -1.5 > P:ats margin > -19.5

7-1 ATS, +8.44 ppg
small sample size again but like you said in a previous post...we may have a "mini-situation" in this game but last time Dabo Swinney had a home game prior to having to go play Notre Dame on the road, in 2020, Clemson was a -26.5 fav over Boston College. They won the game 34-28....BC covered the spread by 20pts. That's 3 instances now that I've found where, in this situation, Clemson has failed to cover a spread by ~20pts....they are -13.5 favs of course this weekend. I do think there is enough info here to think this may be a trap game for Clemson and Cuse will make the final score much closer than people think. BOLTA!

coach=Dabo Swinney and n: opponent=NOTD and H

PS - Dabo Swinney is 5-7 ATS (3-6 ATS as a DD fav) at home with a bye the following week.

small sample size again but like you said in a previous post...we may have a "mini-situation" in this game but last time Dabo Swinney had a home game prior to having to go play Notre Dame on the road, in 2020, Clemson was a -26.5 fav over Boston College. They won the game 34-28....BC covered the spread by 20pts. That's 3 instances now that I've found where, in this situation, Clemson has failed to cover a spread by ~20pts....they are -13.5 favs of course this weekend. I do think there is enough info here to think this may be a trap game for Clemson and Cuse will make the final score much closer than people think. BOLTA!

PS - Dabo Swinney is 5-7 ATS (3-6 ATS as a DD fav) at home with a bye the following week.
Only difference is Cuse is the ranked team. They arent sneeking up on anyone.
Last week vs my Noles may have been the look ahead spot, because nobody is looking ahead to ND.

Only difference is Cuse is the ranked team. They arent sneeking up on anyone.
Last week vs my Noles may have been the look ahead spot, because nobody is looking ahead to ND.
Cuse is the ultimate fools gold imo

Always been overlooked and now ranked, really couldn't imagine backing them when they have to be taken seriously

UVA should have beaten them in Syracuse. They've been sneaking up all season...think that gets a reality check this weekend.

It looks like BYU was overrated, particularly defensively. Arkansas and ND passed so efficiently on them. I am not worried about their heads though. BYU players are typically a little more mature than your average college football player both in age and life experience. Travel is a concern but can they look past anyone right now and this is pretty significant class relief. Bottom line might be that they just are not as good as we thought they were. I watched them against Oregon where I felt they didn't really play that bad but were just crushed. Liberty deserved to beat wake forest. Flamers QB health matters. Too much unknown for me were I betting.

Also, and a little off topic .... I actually got to watch the Ga St at App St game last night.

I felt like the coach for Ga St quit when he decided to kick a FG down 28-14 with 13 minutes to go on 4th and 6 from the App St 30, which was made to make it 28-17. To me, that was him telling the world that they were not going to win that game. Kicker is decent and was 3 of 4 from >40 prior to that kick (which was his long of the year) but I am not certain that fg is made at much of a higher percentage than the first down is. I can honestly say that I don't see them winning that game regardless but there is a big difference between 14 and 7 point leads and not nearly as much between 14 and 11 point leads both in practice and psychologically. He took fluke out of the equation and almost assured his team would lose.

Also, and a little off topic .... I actually got to watch the Ga St at App St game last night.

I felt like the coach for Ga St quit when he decided to kick a FG down 28-14 with 13 minutes to go on 4th and 6 from the App St 30, which was made to make it 28-17. To me, that was him telling the world that they were not going to win that game. Kicker is decent and was 3 of 4 from >40 prior to that kick (which was his long of the year) but I am not certain that fg is made at much of a higher percentage than the first down is. I can honestly say that I don't see them winning that game regardless but there is a big difference between 14 and 7 point leads and not nearly as much between 14 and 11 point leads both in practice and psychologically. He took fluke out of the equation and almost assured his team would lose.
Yep, I couldn't believe that bullshit. Gutless team with a stupid Qb.

Think I've settled on these 8....

Nevada
New Mexico 1st Half
ECU
UTEP
North Texas
Cuse
Arkansas St.
Northwestern 1st Half

Two of those instances were the first start for the QB, and in one of them the first-time starter was knocked out of the game and replaced by the third-stringer. That 2020 BC game was DJU’s first start.

Back