Week 7 ML Dogs Discussion

Agree, let's share some ideas and info Colt and others
Not liking the card as much as last week, just took points so far on first 3 and ML on Iowa State
Computers getting more info to input, tighter lines, need to look for let down spots, rivalry, injuries as season moves on.
Here is my list to get things going.

Oregon State + 10 1/2 and considering ML +325
Home dog, big win vs Cal for Oregon St makes my list but Washington on deck
Not fully sold on this so would appreciate others insight and info

Indiana + 4 1/2 and considering ML +165
Nebraska at home is tough but think the Huskers have gotten some deceptive wins.
Think Indiana playing at tOSU and being respectable helps build their confidence to win this.
Like Nebraska, QB known from Steele HS just see some holes in Nebraska O and D /vulnerable.

Iowa State + 14 and ML + 415
Was impressed with Iowa State at OK State, would have won a big parlay if they had just held on ugghh
Still see this as potential let down after OU game for Texas and think Texas played as well as possible in Dallas.
Texas tackling was better, could not have gotten worse, still not sold the problems the two weeks prior to OU are fixed.
Iowa State with week off after this game, think they will be ready to win after being so close last week.

Still looking at Mississippi State, Georgia Southern and even Kansas

Looking, trying to find way to add, but not finding much are NC State, Wake Forest, So Miss
Interest in these mainly on rivalry basis, teams that performed better at times/earlier in year then fading last 1-2 weeks.
Potential to bounce back this week and "make their season" type win.

I won't have too much to say until later in the week. I kind of chew on the matchups and see how I feel come Friday/Saturday. Initially the two that are on my radar right now are Buffalo +321 and Eastern Michigan +238.

Here are some that are on my radar screen. Was thinking about finding 8 solid ML dogs (would play at 0.125 unit each for a total of 1 unit risked across the total card) at +300 or better just from an ROI standpoint, as that would equal profit if I can hit at least 2 out of the 8 pack. Just a thought at this point so definitely open to feedback...

Home Dogs
Buffalo +320
UMass +495
Purdue +380
Akron +340
Wisky +300
Tenn +400

Road Dogs
Kan State +340
Ga So +340
Ga State +515

I won't have too much to say until later in the week. I kind of chew on the matchups and see how I feel come Friday/Saturday. Initially the two that are on my radar right now are Buffalo +321 and Eastern Michigan +238.

Liking Eastern Mich the more I look into it. Same as last week with BGSU as Ohio has not impressed me to be laying over one score.

Virginia a good look, I think. I took them +3 but considered ML. Pitt secondary is really bad and UVA solid passing team. Benkert is quietly having a nice first year under center but prob needs to value the ball more. Side note - the ACC has some really fantastic QB's. Pitt not a huge threat passing and UVA solid against run. UVA hasnt allowed a 200 yard performance yet on the ground except Oregon and opponents averaging just 4.24 ypc and they've only allowed 8 rushing TD. Pitt has def faced some good passing attacks so far but their numbers have been awful - Penn St, Ok St and UNC QB went for a combined 85/127 for 1,325 8 TD/1 INT. Pitt has literally played an emotionally draining game for the past 5 weeks and UVA off a bye which at this point in the season is significant to me especially given Pitt's roller coaster season. UVA a nasty dog, 17-3 ATS last 20.

Last edited:
Agree, let's share some ideas and info Colt and others
Not liking the card as much as last week, just took points so far on first 3 and ML on Iowa State
Computers getting more info to input, tighter lines, need to look for let down spots, rivalry, injuries as season moves on.
Here is my list to get things going.

Indiana + 4 1/2 and considering ML +165
Nebraska at home is tough but think the Huskers have gotten some deceptive wins.
Think Indiana playing at tOSU and being respectable helps build their confidence to win this.
Like Nebraska, QB known from Steele HS just see some holes in Nebraska O and D /vulnerable.

Iowa State + 14 and ML + 415
Was impressed with Iowa State at OK State, would have won a big parlay if they had just held on ugghh
Still see this as potential let down after OU game for Texas and think Texas played as well as possible in Dallas.
Texas tackling was better, could not have gotten worse, still not sold the problems the two weeks prior to OU are fixed.
Iowa State with week off after this game, think they will be ready to win after being so close last week.

Still looking at Mississippi State, Georgia Southern and even Kansas

Looking, trying to find way to add, but not finding much are NC State, Wake Forest, So Miss
Interest in these mainly on rivalry basis, teams that performed better at times/earlier in year then fading last 1-2 weeks.
Potential to bounce back this week and "make their season" type win.

OSU worth a look, pts for sure but not sold on ML. Utah is a MASH unit right now, Joe Williams just returned to the team today, not sure if he'll play. There were down to their 5th RB in the Zona game and he went out with a knee injury after 2 drives. OSU still not in the same league as Utah but this is the PAC 12 so they will probably win by DD's.

Liking Eastern Mich the more I look into it. Same as last week with BGSU as Ohio has not impressed me to be laying over one score.

I am likely dropping Buffalo. I think I may play them with the pts, but way too unpredictable to say they will win.

Eastern Michigan is still a possibility. I think they are pretty even with Ohio. That is one thing I like to look for on these dogs, finding teams that in reality are fairly even and the game appears more like a toss-up than a 6, 7, 8, etc point spread.

EM and Ohio are tied for 4th in the MAC scoring O 32.3 ppg. Ohio did have to face Tennessee and only scored 19 there, but their scoring output also benefits from the 3 OT game vs Texas St (scored 32 in regulation 16 in OT).

Ohio is only 3.5ppg better scoring D in MAC rankings 26.2-29.2. Excluding week 1 OT vs Texas St, nobody has scored more than 28 on Bobcats (Vols). Excluding Missouri, nobody has scored more than 35 on EM (Toledo) - more on Toledo later.

These are huge improvements for EM. They are averaging 7 pts more than they did for 2015 and 17 pts better than 2014. On defense they are allowing 13 pts less than '15 and 11 pts better than '14.

Offensive yards gained EM avg 425, Ohio avg 424
Rushing ypc O EM 4.3, Ohio 4.4
Passing O EM 60% compl, Ohio 57% - EM 11-10 TD-INT, Ohio 10-4 - Pass eff O ranking EM #6, Ohio #8
Sacks allowed EM 4, Ohio 6
3rd down conv EM 44%, Ohio 37%
EM 26 of 28 redzone scores, 20 TDs - Ohio 28 of 34 redzone scores, 17 TDs (3 INT thrown in RZ)
*EM 2nd most INTs thrown, 3 more than 3rd place MAC team*

Defensive yards allowed EM avg 406, Ohio avg 355
Rushing ypc D EM 3.6, Ohio 3.2
Passing D EM 59% allowed, Ohio 64% - EM 13-4 TD-INT, Ohio 13-9 - Pass eff D ranking also EM #6, Ohio #8
Sacks EM 12, Ohio 25
Opponent 3rd down conv EM 43%, Ohio 34%
EM 18 of 23 redzone D, 14 TDs - Ohio 17 of 19, 14 TDs
*Ohio leads MAC in INTs gained and sacks* *Edit - Ohio leds the ncaa in sacks! 16 of their 25 was from the Tex St and Mia, Oh games for what that is worth*

Punt avg - EM #2, Ohio #3
FG kicking EM 80%, Ohio 78%

EM also has more plays of 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards than Ohio does (Ohio has more 10y+ plays).

Playing on the road this year shouldn't be an issue for EM, vs teams their own size they are 2-0 at Charlotte and BGSU, weaker squads than Ohio, but EM will have confidence playing away from home.

EM did lose to powerful Toledo last week, but halfway through the 4th qrt it was just an 8 pt game before falling 35-20. Toledo realistically should've had another score in that one, but it is very noteworthy that the avg score between EM and Toledo the last 4 years is 55.5-24.75. This year the ypp in this game 5.7-5.5 was essentially the same.

EM and Ohio have played one common opponent, BGSU. EM beat them 28-25, Ohio won 30-24. EM outgained them 474-456 (6.3-5.1 ypp), Ohio outgained them 386-367 (5.8-4.8). EM was -1 TO, Ohio was +3.

In the EM game, BG did miss a FG, but EM fumbled on the BG 22 on 1st down. EM killed the final 5:22 of the game.
In the Ohio game, BG was SOD at the 4 following 85y drive and also kicked a FG from the 2. BG onside kick failed, Ohio killed final 1:24.

Rarely do I ever go that indepth for any bet anymore. But we can see these teams are pretty even. The biggest risk is that EM has been prone to throwing INTs and Ohio has been good at getting them. Ohio is also good at rushing the passer.

Ohio has had two underwhelming games vs poor MAC teams. EM was fairly competitive with an elite MAC team last week and also beat one of the same poor MAC teams Ohio did, arguably better than Ohio beat BG.

Perhaps the biggest fear is that Solich will be preaching to his kids how much better they need to play, they must in essence step it up. He knows that the last two games isn't going to be good enough. So on one hand, Ohio is likely to not rest on the laurels, they also see Eastern Michigan coming in, a historic doormat so they likely won't be too inspired to raise the level this week as maybe they would vs a better opponent. And for EM, this is a team that is hungry after being starved for success for years. They have tasted wins and been competitive this year. Off a loss, where they may be able to take some inspiration from playing Toledo tough, it may be more likely that EM steps up their game this week.

Seems like a strong candidate. We don't necessarily need EM to play over their heads here to get the win. Really I think we just need each team to play to their average level and need EM to take care of the football and EM has a good chance at the win.

Last edited:

OSU worth a look, pts for sure but not sold on ML. Utah is a MASH unit right now, Joe Williams just returned to the team today, not sure if he'll play. There were down to their 5th RB in the Zona game and he went out with a knee injury after 2 drives. OSU still not in the same league as Utah but this is the PAC 12 so they will probably win by DD's.

I agree, Oregon St has been too inconsistent to think they would win. I mean any team could win any game almost, but if you were selecting the best options to take ML dog chances on I don't think that Oregon St would be great. I also agree that with the points is more appealing, although that value is getting eaten away. I kind of like the under here. Washington on deck should mean nothing to a team like Ore St considering where they are and who they are. No game is more important than the game currently at hand.

The one thing they did and did exceptionally well last week was run, that is going to be much harder this week vs a team that makes a living playing D, Cal does not.

But you have to trust yourself because there are upsets that happen that nobody sees coming and prior game results or evidence can't support or explain how or why they happened. So if you have a hunch and like it, play it.

Virginia a good look, I think. I took them +3 but considered ML. Pitt secondary is really bad and UVA solid passing team. Benkert is quietly having a nice first year under center but prob needs to value the ball more. Side note - the ACC has some really fantastic QB's. Pitt not a huge threat passing and UVA solid against run. UVA hasnt allowed a 200 yard performance yet on the ground except Oregon and opponents averaging just 4.24 ypc and they've only allowed 8 rushing TD. Pitt has def faced some good passing attacks so far but their numbers have been awful - Penn St, Ok St and UNC QB went for a combined 85/127 for 1,325 8 TD/1 INT. Pitt has literally played an emotionally draining game for the past 5 weeks and UVA off a bye which at this point in the season is significant to me especially given Pitt's roller coaster season. UVA a nasty dog, 17-3 ATS last 20.

Does anyone give any merit to homecoming anymore? I remember when I was a kid and I used to buy the betting sheets a couple of them would always mention when it was homecoming.

It probably doesn't matter that much. But maybe for a new head coach, off a bye with it being homecoming that means a little extra for UVA?

Pitt did have a big lead vs Marshall and double digit lead often vs UNC and were up big vs Penn St...I wonder if that has something to do with how teams attacked Pitt's D trying to comeback and skewed the passing numbers some?

lots of good posts, thanks for all the input SK
great write up on Ohio and E Mich, much appreciated SK
will be adding E Mich, still like Oregon St, Iowa St, Indiana points and ML for all
will be looking at my second tier and others info and have more later

Brutal stretch for your boys. But then I look at anyone in the West and all of us have a stretch of 3-4 games you just can't believe.
it was brutal. You can look at the injury report right now and see how much of a toll it has added up. Hopefully we can keep it together and get a rematch with the winner of your boys & Bama in Hotlanta

Here are some that are on my radar screen. Was thinking about finding 8 solid ML dogs (would play at 0.125 unit each for a total of 1 unit risked across the total card) at +300 or better just from an ROI standpoint, as that would equal profit if I can hit at least 2 out of the 8 pack. Just a thought at this point so definitely open to feedback...

Home Dogs
Buffalo +320
UMass +495
Purdue +380
Akron +340
Wisky +300
Tenn +400

Road Dogs
Kan State +340
Ga So +340
Ga State +515
Save your $ with the Vols. It's gonna be a long day.
Why not not the Heels +250?

The weather in Corvalis is going to be brutal, there may be enough lightning that the game isn't even played.

Bump
really not shaping up to be many ML plays this week,,,,
anyone else had a team stand out to them?

Bump
really not shaping up to be many ML plays this week,,,,
anyone else had a team stand out to them?

I'll post some thoughts tonight on some I am looking at. I fine tune things Friday night to get ready for Saturday when I make my plays.

But it would be helpful to know who is putting actual money on what teams. That would be more meaningful than shotgunning out a bunch of teams and then nobody knows who had a good handle on what. I kind of brainstorm a half dozen or so and then settle on 1-3 typically. All of mine are for .5 unit as posted the last two weeks.

I have points and ML $ on Indiana, Iowa State, Oregon State, Eastern Michigan, Georgia Southern (in order of favorites)
Long shot and for just fun and small have ML parlay on box 3 type format on the first four (not Georgia Southern) so four 3 team ML parlays

Think one of the bigger ML dogs wins but just a hunch and not willing to risk $ on which one (Kansas, Wake Forest, NC State, So Miss) and not worth it for a hunch

Like the plays I have above but still looking and open to others info
Thanks S-K for the write ups on E Mich/Ohio

Here are my favorite dogs for the weekend:

Rutgers +170
Bowling Green currently +5000 at 5Dimes <=== this would be the upset of the year I think???
Northern Illinois +120
Indiana +150
Charlotte +180
Florida Atlantic +355
Akron +375 <=== one i like best fwiw
UCLA +250

:tiphat:

Yeah, Akron, it is just so hard to go against Western Michigan. They do it by air, by ground, ZERO turnovers so far this year, first ATS loss of the year last week laying 17 won by 15.

Earlier in the week they said Champman would start, but now rumors that Woodson is set to return after missing the last two due to injury vs App St. Akron just absolutely has to play their best, like we saw vs Marshall, but Marshall contributed to their own demise in that one as well. Hard to plan on WM doing that. I'd rather play Zips with the points, but it is still hard, arguably some value in that. What do you see JRock?

Eastern Michigan +225 . Posted about before. I just hate the feeling of thinking that Ohio is going to play 3 bad games in a row, they are getting the wins, but have been ugly and unimpressive. But still like the improvement EM has shown and the belief they can win and compete is a shot in the arm for them this season.

UNC +230. Before last week Trubisky was completing 77%, but went 13 of 38 with 2 INTs in the weather vs VT (first two INTs of the year). UNC can be made one dimensional, before the VT game, Pitt held them to just 18y rushing (Hood and Logan combined for 31y). But then again, they had success vs Georgia and FSU (team combined 292y 5.72ypc). Hood missed last week and is expected back this week. Not sure what to make of Miami run D...played the 3 weak nonconference teams, an option team and FSU, Cook ran for 150 and 5.5 ypc.

Main concern is UNC run D. Outside of that not too scared of Miami passing attack and receiving options outside of maybe the freshman WR aren't anything too great. Other concern, is that last year's game was woodshed 45-0 early 3rd qrt so Miami may have some extra motivation for this one, which I'm not sure means much, but maybe only to mitigate any potential flat spot following FSU. The game is key to decide the Coastal so both teams should be plenty ready.

I don't think too many would be that surprised if UNC won? Teams feel fairly even. Miami edge on D, UNC edge on O. Game means alot to both teams in terms of division and conference race. Both off disappointing losses. UNC has played well on the road this year (at ILL, at FSU).

UConn +725
How about Conn/ SFla. That gm is usually tight.

http://www.winsipedia.com/games/sout...vs/connecticut

UConn +750. This would be the call-me-crazy selection. You think it is worth a shot ProV1Colt? Like your link shows USF wins have been by 8, 3, 3, 7 having won 4 straight, prior to that UConn won 3 straight.

UConn feels like about the same team they were last year, strong D, but not an inept offense. I've seen them put nice drives together with Sherriffs running and throwing, they just don't put too many of those nice drives together in a row or sometimes not many in a game. But they are capable of it. At times when they run a faster paced style throwing O they don't look half bad doing it - they just prefer not to I guess.

USF seemed to drop their guard or something last week vs ECU, as Pirates got right back in that game 4th qrt, failed ECU 2 pt conversion for the tie, before USF hit a big play and then essentially got a D TD for the final margin. The USF-Cincy game is interesting as well since the Bearcats and USF traded blows in the first half and went back-and-forth on the score board. But Cincy O just went into a total shell in the second half...just like they did vs UConn last week.

Flowers can be a little inconsistent with three games under 50% completions this year. Last year he was pretty good vs Huskies, but did throw 2 INTs (only 1 of 2 multi INT games last year).

Sherriffs is also up and down with three games under 55% completions this year. Last year vs USF he had a really nice game both passing and rushing.

I may need to check this out further, I see that UConn posted 528 yard of offense last year vs USF! Wow! They are averaging 360 so far this year and last year avg'd 310 and that was with the 528 vs USF, that is nearly 100y more than they had vs any other team!

Probably some value on the spread, the upset will be tough. Houston took their foot off the gas and pretty much allowed UConn to push/cover and while Huskies were lucky to beat Virginia, their comeback bid vs Navy probably should've resulted in a win. So you win one you shouldn't and maybe lose one you shouldn't. UConn at 3-3 is probably where they deserve to be.

USF D has been opportunistic with turnovers and D scores and other times setting up short fields for their O. That would be my biggest fear. UConn on the other hand hasn't been able to create many TOs on D.

I'm going to look into UNLV, but I think I like that with the points better.

Looks like those are the only ones I would put money on. Maybe I come up with something tomorrow morning. Will update what I actually end up playing.

Liking the UConn long shot S-K
Also have decided to play Wake Forest + 21 1/2 and small on ML
Also have WF, Oregon St, Indiana ML parlay small

I would not have said oregon state but with weather like that, anything can happen.

UVA = there passing game vs pitt pass d might be a bigger edge than pitt run game vs uva d

UNC - Are we sure miami fl is the better team?

unlv - Don't laugh at me but you have a "running dog" here off a horrible offensive performance. Sanchez could right ship here.

iowa state - I don't think they win because of the texas run game but the line is too high in my opinion and so there is likely value on them ... beat texas by 24 i think it was last year.

texas tech - If mahomes can survive game (shoulder) they might be the better team

rutgers Illinois road chalk and huge class drop for rutgers off last couple

purdue - type of game where they either get rolled or they are within a score most of the way. iowa hard to trust and purdue seemed excited with win last week

kansas - If you want a flyer ... they almost did it last week and probably should have.

arizona st just because you never know what is going to happen in an arizona st game.

Only thing I took was .10 to win .8 on UConn.

I normally like to play ML for .5 and the spread for 1.5, but EMich, UNC, UNLV...those just aren't 1.5u caliber games for me. So I laid off the ML.

Let's go Huskies!

Just heard from someone in Corvallis, it's rainy/cloudy with some wind but nothing like was predicted earlier in the week. Also, Joe Williams is indeed back on the Utah team, not sure who he will be splitting carries with today as I think Moss has turf toe.

I would not have said oregon state but with weather like that, anything can happen.

UVA = there passing game vs pitt pass d might be a bigger edge than pitt run game vs uva d

UNC - Are we sure miami fl is the better team?

unlv - Don't laugh at me but you have a "running dog" here off a horrible offensive performance. Sanchez could right ship here.

iowa state - I don't think they win because of the texas run game but the line is too high in my opinion and so there is likely value on them ... beat texas by 24 i think it was last year.

texas tech - If mahomes can survive game (shoulder) they might be the better team

rutgers Illinois road chalk and huge class drop for rutgers off last couple

purdue - type of game where they either get rolled or they are within a score most of the way. iowa hard to trust and purdue seemed excited with win last week

kansas - If you want a flyer ... they almost did it last week and probably should have.

arizona st just because you never know what is going to happen in an arizona st game.
ASU with good history in series as well

[TABLE="class: chalk dbresults base-table base-table-sortable"]
<thead style="box-sizing: border-box; background: rgb(0, 0, 0);">[TR="bgcolor: #F2F4F6"]
[TH="class: event_date, align: left"]Date[/TH]
[TH="class: away_team, align: left"]Away[/TH]
[TH="class: away_score, align: left"]Score[/TH]
[TH="class: home_team, align: left"]Home[/TH]
[TH="class: home_score, align: left"]Score[/TH]
[TH="class: result, align: left"]Result[/TH]
[TH="class: home_spread, align: left"]Home Spread[/TH]
[TH="class: ats_result, align: left"]ATS[/TH]
[TH="class: total, align: left"]Total[/TH]
[TH="class: ou_result, align: left"]OU[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody style="box-sizing: border-box; border-top: 0px;">[TR]
[TD="class: event_date"]Oct 10, 2015[/TD]
[TD="class: away_team"]COLO[/TD]
[TD="class: away_score"]23[/TD]
[TD="class: home_team"]ARIZST[/TD]
[TD="class: home_score"]48[/TD]
[TD="class: result"]W[/TD]
[TD="class: home_spread"]-16.5[/TD]
[TD="class: ats_result"]W[/TD]
[TD="class: total"]57[/TD]
[TD="class: ou_result"]O[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: event_date"]Sep 13, 2014[/TD]
[TD="class: away_team"]ARIZST[/TD]
[TD="class: away_score"]38[/TD]
[TD="class: home_team"]COLO[/TD]
[TD="class: home_score"]24[/TD]
[TD="class: home_spread"]16[/TD]
[TD="class: ats_result"]L[/TD]
[TD="class: total"]68[/TD]
[TD="class: ou_result"]U[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: event_date"]Oct 12, 2013[/TD]
[TD="class: away_score"]13[/TD]
[TD="class: home_score"]54[/TD]
[TD="class: home_spread"]-28.5[/TD]
[TD="class: total"]68.5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: event_date"]Oct 11, 2012[/TD]
[TD="class: away_score"]51[/TD]
[TD="class: home_score"]17[/TD]
[TD="class: home_spread"]22[/TD]
[TD="class: total"]57[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: event_date"]Oct 29, 2011[/TD]
[TD="class: away_score"]14[/TD]
[TD="class: home_score"]48[/TD]
[TD="class: home_spread"]-32[/TD]
[TD="class: total"]56.5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: event_date"]Sep 8, 2007[/TD]
[TD="class: away_score"]14[/TD]
[TD="class: home_score"]33[/TD]
[TD="class: home_spread"]-15.5[/TD]
[TD="class: total"]53[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: event_date"]Sep 16, 2006[/TD]
[TD="class: away_score"]21[/TD]
[TD="class: home_score"]3[/TD]
[TD="class: home_spread"]12.5[/TD]
[TD="class: total"]47.5[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Thanks S-K ... tailed you on E Mich +7.5 and ML:money::clappy:

Awesome! I only took EM with the spread...same as UNC. I over thought the ML plays, which being more of a gambler than a true handicapper I don't typically do.

But yeah, we'll see what the rest of the games hold.

Figures the two I didn't take won outright and the one I did lost. But didn't risk much on UConn ML and knew it would be tough to pull it off. They did have a 17-14 lead in the second half. Kind of a crazy finish, but got the cover atleast. So good ATS day on those three on my end.

:shake2:

Rebels .5u to win 152. And Hawaii is laying 10 here? I get that they have got something going, won on them the last 2 weeks, but 10? And I get that UNLV's QB situation not ideal, nor is the travel where they haven't won in quite a while, but 10? Gimmie gimmie gimmie those pts.

Still no way to watch apparently. I guess I will be listening on the radio until past 3am eastern for that one.

Overall a VERY good day with the Dogs everyone mentioned in here!
I grabbed some Arky, EMich, Carolina, Temple
Heck hitting those made up for a couple other bets I lost.
New Mexico was a big dog that won on the ML

Back