Week 7 in the FCS

San Diego is a bad football team...not sure how they were favored on the road...but on the flipside, Marist is bad as well but 4 points in this matchup would probably have been nice to have in the back pocket

Lamar is tempting as SELA should blow them out but I think I said that the last 2 times I took those guys. Not sure where there head is at since their season is pretty much toast at this point. Wouldn't be shocked at a Lamar SU win here, but also wouldn't be shocked if SELA took out their frustrations and won by 30. Thoughts?

I want to play SE La, but I don't think the line will let me. Can't lay that many, was hoping for less

The one game so far Bovada decides to offer live is Texas Southern - Bethune Cookman!

15 upsets and some pretty surprising ones, a couple of which I fell victim too. Dartmouth hurt because I ML'd them too, doh! Man NDSU - the worst team in the Dakotas! I have now been burned by Jackson State. Played with fire last week and escaped, I shouldn't have tempted fate this week with that team. Some rough underdogs on my card today too. Bright spot was Idaho St ML - that was exciting! Down 27 at one point, come back to win. Some ending. Nothing I love more than being on an upset like that. Sometimes it takes some wrong guesses to find one like that .... looking at you Indiana State. That was failure on my part for not understanding that Indiana State was playing better vs Murray St and Northern Iowa who aren't exactly good defenses or strong running teams and Illinois State is both of those things. Bad matchup and bad for me to miss that. So not the greatest of days, but not a disaster either, still enjoyable day.

Some late night observations as I watch and see if Idaho can come back to beat Montana. That would be something else if Griz win, left for dead in Flagstaff, they've gotten off the mat pretty good. We'll see how they finish.

When the season started I believed the Ivy League was full of parody and everyone is pretty even. The truth is this is a bad year for Ivy football. Colgate of all teams beats not only Cornell but now Dartmouth. Bucknell beats Cornell. Cornell beat Yale. Lafayette is having a hell of a season, but still, Ivy teams don't lose to Patriot league teams very often but this year they are losing to them a bunch. Princeton is way bad. Penn had to beat Georgetown in OT. Sure Brown is good right now, not sure that is sustainable as they had to pull off a pretty big comeback today. Harvard is outstanding though and Yale will be there in the end. The Game will determine the Championship it seems. That Harvard D loves creating turnovers.

Villanova ran for 440 yards! 26-5 first down edge! As @KJ and Kramer would say "they're a mudder" Their two best games have come in rain and bad weather.

Gardner Webb started a Fr QB - didn't know that was happening. You know it is funny that so many times these lines move opposite of what they would in the FBS. Nobody knows when a player is out. GW line drops and they start a Fr QB instead of their game 1 - 5 starter. Nobody knows. That happens every week with FCS lines. Line drops and the dog is down players, or line climbs and favorite is starting somebody else at QB. Every week.

How often do you see the losing team take knees at the end of the game? That is what Gardner Webb did, they're like "man we give up"

Youngstown State really hurt for me. They ran into the punter on the opening drive and USD went on for a FG. On their final possession some penalties ruined a chance they had to maybe win the tie game in regulation, but instead of that, the penalties ruined the drive and they had to punt. USD ran two plays on their final possession. The first was a D PI on YSU, 15 yards. Then they made on completion and made a walk-off game winner. Penalties have been a HUGE problem for YSU this year, when they happen and what happens because of them. Can't beat the good teams like that, played a large role in the loss to UNI and played a large role in the loss today.

Tarleton St had a bad snap on a would-be game winning FG in regulation result in a miss. They lost in OT. Had they made that FG the game would've stayed Under, it took OT for it to go Over.

Southern Illinois had a break away run 2nd to last play of game, but they were able to push him out of bounds.

Nice win by Chattanooga off the WCU game. Mercer made them work for it, but Mercer was never really a threat. Good game out of Samford too, credit to Furman for pulling that off. It is good to see these teams that are going to be fighting for playoff spots tested and have to battle through some games.

Speaking of being tested, um or not, Incarnate Word ... when you play weak teams you are supposed to dominate them. They got a pick-six and then another TD late to make that final look a little bigger than how it was played. I'm shocked with the kind of D Tx A&M Commerce has that game didn't come close to the Over.

As bad as that Over loss felt, it did feel good to hit the Lindenwood - Charleston Southern and Tenn Tech - SC State Unders as there was some bad offensive teams playing there. Not sure how they came up with the mid-50s total in Lin-CS game.

Lamar! SELU! Man. I hope Lamar wins that sorry ass conference.

Idaho State is just going to be my highlight of the week. Love exciting finishes like that when a big dog wins. There was an onside kick that they had to redo because EWU penalty and ISU got it on the second attempt. This was with like 3min left. Then they got inside the 3 and EWU let them score with like 1min left. EWU goes down, because ISU could hardly stop them all night, EWU goes down lines up for game winning FG, ISU calls timeout, ball is snapped and kids nails the warm-up kick. Yeah, he missed the real one after the timeout.

Maybe I don't always love it ... Colgate blk'd a Dartmouth FG in OT that cost me the favorite ML shot. But I really don't get mad any more, I kind of half smile as I watch the celebrating players and coaches on the field. Smile because hey, it's still cool to see that stuff even if I lost and it's not their fault, it's my fault.

Houston Christian dominated! They closed at +3 in some places! Like Prairie View some road fav now. That was weird.

What else, oh Porland State, big win. That is one game I wish I wasn't betting openers. I mean I love the fun of betting openers, but I took NAU -2.5 because it was a good number for a hot team, but that line got pretty high north of 7, thought I even saw like 8/9 for a minute. I need to get better at trying to middle stuff.

Drake straight steam rolled St Thomas!

URI losing to Richmond at home was a pretty big surprise.

Several one-sided games I thought the dog would compete in....Howard, Hampton, Northern Iowa - man UNI got blown the F out.

Hey Mississippi Valley State won, and won big! How bad must Ark Pine Bluff be?

Albany - UNH was a good game.

Last edited:
Final tally on upsets with Montana and if I don't include Houston Christian (-102) is 17 and there were lots of sizable ones, avg ML on the upsets was +252

Alabama A&M was tied with Grambling 17-17 HT, but outscored them 28-7 2H. QB Xavier Langsford ran for 193 while passing for 127 for their first win there since 2011.

Jackson St outgained ASU by 169y and had a 29-10 FD edge. ASU was set up on several short fields as the Jackson St punter had a very poor avg of 35.2 on 5 punts. ASU's three TD drives avg just 37.3 yards.

New Hampshire turned the tables on Albany. Albany has 27 sacks on the year averaging 3.29 per game, but this day they had zero while UNH got after Poffenbarger, sacking him 5x and UNH has had struggles in the RZ scoring TDs, it was Albany that failed to score a TD on both of their RZ trips. Albany had a 10 pt lead in the 3Q, but UNH scored 17 unanswered. Up 7 with under 1min left UNH decided to try and convert a 4th-1 at the A43, but Juncaj smelled out the playaction QB bootleg for loss giving Albany a chance. However they threw a long INT on 2nd down at the goal line with :32 left to end it.

0-4 Mississippi Valley had been outgained in their prior 4 games by 228 on average. They outgained Akr PB by +5 and won by 25! PB only was 50% on RZ scores with just 1 TD on 4 trips.

Gardner Webb D did their job in the 1H, held good Austin Peay O to just 1 TD and 2 FGs. AP led 13-7 HT, 20-7 after a pick-six, GW came back 20-14. After exchanging a couple punts, AP would score TDs on their final 3 possessions the last of which came with just 1min left (were in position to score on 4 straight drives but missed a FG). When the lead was 20 with about 5min to go in the game. GW had a FD at the A16, but would get sacked and then threw an INT on 4th down. After AP's final TD with 1:12 left (with starters still in), GW took two knees to kill the clock.

Texas Southern never trailed and a 95y fumble ret TD made it 24-7. Bethune fought back making it a 3 pt game with under 1min left, but TSU recovered the onside kick. They actually tore off a 51y run while trying to kill the clock but their RB slid down at the 2 yard line with :00 on the clock. It was the first favorite role of BC on the year and their first non-cover (dog line avg 32).

Brown has a winning record this far into the season for the first time since 2015, which was also the last time they beat Princeton. After not losing a single turnover their first 3 games, -2 last week really hurt them vs URI and turnovers appeared like they would be the difference this game as well. Princeton took a 14-7 2Q lead after starting a drive in Brown territory following the first turnover. Brown then threw another INT next possession, but Princeton gave it right back. Princeton held a 21-7 lead entering the 4Q. Brown made it 21-14. On the next Brown possession they fumbled near midfield with under 4min to go. Princeton ran 3x and went 3-and-out. After a punt Brown took over at their own 11 under 2min left. Mark Mahoney made a spectacular one-handed catch on a 50y pass for TD scoring with :53 to go - tied 21-21! Princeton got to the B41, but 3 straight incompletions and it goes to OT. Princeton scores first but had their xpt blk'd! Brown scores xpt good - ball game. I don't know when Princeton has been this bad recordwise. Coming into their week 5, the last four years they opened 4-0 and they were 2-2 entering this week for the first time since 2014. Now 2-3. Interesting that a missed or blk'd kick has played a role in each of their 3 losses (3 losses by combined 7 pts). Brown D had 10 TFLs which is unheard of for them. This was the first Princeton Over since 11/20/2021 - the streak is snapped! But at 21-14 after that Brown fumble with 3min to go, it didn't look so good.

I think all or at least most Bryant lines were less than -12, so they were already covering late and it was already Over 36-24 when Robert Morris fumbled at their own 8 yard line 3-1/2 minutes left and Bryant got a TD next play for the final margin.

Bucknell ran it 50x in their win vs Cornell. QB Ralph Rucker was injured in the 3Q, backup led a game clinching TD drive. 21-13. Cornell is 0-3 ATS and have lost twice as favorites since beating Yale in game #2.

Davidson QB Cleland Coulter went 19-of-20-224-2-1! Game was tied 14-14, but Davidson led 28-14 HT. Butler then blk'd a punt for TD. It was 35-24 entering the 4Q. 35-27. Butler scored TD but failed on the 2pt try with 7min left. Davidson killed all but :18. Butler tried a 58y FG at the end but it was no good. Davidson apparently is a big 4th down go-for-it team, they attempted 7 and converted 4. Two of their SOD were in Butler territory including at the B26 with :18 left. Davidson had a 506-345 yardage edge, but ypp was just 6.6-6.2.

Tommy Mellott returned for Montana State seeing his first action since week 2. They mixed him with Chambers with Chambers getting the bulk of the work. MSU ret'd punt for TD to open scoring, but then muffed a punt setting up CP on short field and it would be 7-6. 31-6 late 1H when CP got a 41y TD catch in the EZ. MSU scored before HT. 38-13. 38-19. 45-19. 52-19. 59-19 F. MSU was "only" +272y. They had outgained Weber by 310, Stetson by 334 and Utah Tech by 329 earlier this year. Actually, Cal Poly played better than I thought they would all things considered.

Wish I could finish doing this, but as much time as I spend I always want to spend more. It's never enough, but on to NFL for the rest of the day and then I'm traveling tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back