Week 7 Discussion Thread

That's the 2nd ridiculous navy bad beat on a total. The SMU game was 24-21 at half I believe.
That game didn’t really deserve to go over. I’m still kicking myself for not taking the 2H under to buy out of it.

Anyone think clemson line seems too high ? Cant tell markets adjusted to clemson. what is the argument for clemson covering vs cuse ? Guessing great run d vs a running team but cuse is showing to be in bc and nc states class and playing at cuse laying 14 is crazy
It will be interesting to how this plays out. Clemson’s opener featured the two best DT tandems in FBS, but now Breesee is out for the season, and Davis is out for another three weeks or so. Defense has still allowed just 36 points in five games.

We also played without three of our top 5 corners vs. BC. At least two of Goodrich, Greene, Davis should be back for this one.

It turns out the personnel change on the OL vs. BC was due to injury, not a coach’s decision. RG Putnam couldn’t go, so Bockhorst moved back to guard, and Rayburn replaces him at center in his first career start. The results were positive, as Clemson ran the ball much better and averaged 6.2 yards per play.

The open date has helped with health, but it has also offered the prospect of salutary change due to self-scouting. O coaches scout the D, and vice versa.

Last edited:
The conventional wisdom is that OC Tony Elliott is in over his head now that former co-OC Jeff Scott has taken the HC job at USF, and he is not getting the proper internal feedback and criticism. I love the idea of Venables providing the O staff with unvarnished criticism.

Jeff Scott was the WR coach as well as co-OC ( and a great recruiter), and he continued former OC Chad Morris’s emphasis on blocking. Under those guys, WR’s didn’t see the field until they were ready to block. A lack of such blocking is just one more problem on top of atrocious play calling, bad O-line play, and bad QB play.

Also Nebraska. Still think Frost will right the ship. Think they finish strong

As much I dislike nebraska I tend to agree. Havnt looked yet but I’m assuming Corn strength of schedule is way up there! They Havnt gotten to pad stats with cup cakes like most teams have, or lost to their cup cake straight up! (Talking to you gophers! Lol). Corn hasn’t beaten the power 5 teams but they have played their asses off and been in them all. Agree with what you, Steve, and bear saying that corn believes they a good team so I dont think they gonna fold up. This could be a 7-5 team who goes bowling to try and build some momentum!

One injury that I didn’t expect to matter was that of true frosh Will Taylor, who was number one punt returner. He went out with an injury against BC, and Ross came in to handle the next punt. He let it hit and roll another 30 yards. Next up was Swinney, and he did the same thing, losing 20 yards. Syracuse’s punter is awful, ranking 91 out of 95 qualifying punters.

He had his worst game of the season last week and missed the game before that, so may be dealing with an injury. He kicked them low and short against Wake, so there is a potential for some cheap points if we have a guy who can catch the ball moving forward.

I’m still trying to figure out what my opinion is on the Clemson game.

I like Cuse TT under 14.5 and Tucker under 90.5 rushing yards. Only legit defense Cuse played was only team who held Tucker under 100 and Cuse to 7 points. That was freaking Rutgers, not exactly on Clemson level! Long as your squad offense doesnt all a sudden figure things out I feel good bout this, no garbage time points as won’t have big enough lead!! Of course If tigers do score a bunch that should help the Tucker under even more.

I like Cuse TT under 14.5 and Tucker under 90.5 rushing yards. Only legit defense Cuse played was only team who held Tucker under 100 and Cuse to 7 points. That was freaking Rutgers, not exactly on Clemson level! Long as your squad offense doesnt all a sudden figure things out I feel good bout this, no garbage time points as won’t have big enough lead!! Of course If tigers do score a bunch that should help the Tucker under even more.
Syr team under could be good.

DeVito was the QB versus Rutgers. FSU had an excellent run D, and Cuse averaged 6.0 yards per carry.

Syr team under could be good.

Really only thing I see in that game. Only concern would be as mentioned if tigers offense all a sudden goes off then garbage time would worry me, cuse defense been fairly decent tho so don’t see it. Game under probably be good, especially if Cuse fails to score more than 14, tigers really gonna score 30? They have only scored 20 against 1 power 5 school!! Crazy

Really only thing I see in that game. Only concern would be as mentioned if tigers offense all a sudden goes off then garbage time would worry me, cuse defense been fairly decent tho so don’t see it. Game under probably be good, especially if Cuse fails to score more than 14, tigers really gonna score 30? They have only scored 20 against 1 power 5 school!! Crazy
That doesn’t count. It was in OT.

DeVito was the QB versus Rutgers. FSU has an excellent run D, and Cuse averaged 6.0 yards per carry.

I don’t think we agree on fsu run d. All their acc opponents have ran all over them. Ya’ll run d is vastly better than fsu. Fsu defensive numbers against the run being bolstered by the ND and Jacksonville st games at beginning of the year. What teams run game have they stopped in conf play?

Cuse covers vs Clemson quite often, of course the spread is usually 20-30!! Last year was 47.5! Lol.

Only 2 overs in this matchup the last 9 meetings! Of course all the totals been way way higher than this!! They been mostly 60s!

How does San Jose st score points tonight? They been so disappointing to me!! The offense been horrid and that started before Starkel got hurt, they only scored 17 on Hawaii! Bad spot at western Michigan but 3 points total?!? 14 vs Colorado st last week., not good! The offense can’t convert on 3rd downs so the defense on the field a lot.

now they facing one the best statistical run defenses in the country with a backup qb (I think Starkel is out again, ncaa injury reports a joke!). Sdst pass d has been excellent also, of course theyosdin have faced a super weak schedule but not sure sjst is any better than the teams sdst been shutting down? Almost impossible for me to lay dd with the Aztecs cause their style. Another dd spread w crazy low total. I’d expect Aztecs simply wear sjst down and pull away late. Don’t think I can lay it tho. Lean to sjst team total under 14.5.

How does San Jose st score points tonight? They been so disappointing to me!! The offense been horrid and that started before Starkel got hurt, they only scored 17 on Hawaii! Bad spot at western Michigan but 3 points total?!? 14 vs Colorado st last week., not good! The offense can’t convert on 3rd downs so the defense on the field a lot.

now they facing one the best statistical run defenses in the country with a backup qb (I think Starkel is out again, ncaa injury reports a joke!). Sdst pass d has been excellent also, of course theyosdin have faced a super weak schedule but not sure sjst is any better than the teams sdst been shutting down? Almost impossible for me to lay dd with the Aztecs cause their style. Another dd spread w crazy low total. I’d expect Aztecs simply wear sjst down and pull away late. Don’t think I can lay it tho. Lean to sjst team total under 14.5.
I played sd st -9.5 -113 when it dipped. Back up to 10 last i looked

I'm saying, how much more competent is a BC O with Grosel vs Syracuse with Schrader? If BC moved it, can't Cuse do something similar?

I'm saying, how much more competent is a BC O with Grosel vs Syracuse with Schrader? If BC moved it, can't Cuse do something similar?

I know what ya meant :)

I think BC offense is significantly better but they have played a really weak schedule so I could be wrong. Even their sec game was against a atrocious defense! Feel like Grosel been getting better but he sucked at end the Clemson game!

Grosel is better all around QB than Schrader I would say. Grosel is a running threat, but didn't try to run much at all vs Cuse, maybe two all game. Schrader will want to and need to run a lot.

Clemson did hold Garwo to 57 yards which I think a decent comp to Tucker. 4.8 ypc tho. Just not sure I trust Cuse yo sustain drives?

I think we are all very curious to see what Clemson might look like tonight. What could they fix on O, what can they show up and do better? The BC game was a difficult spot for Clemson, off the NC State loss. It was an emotinal low point that week for them I think.

I think we are all very curious to see what Clemson might look like tonight. What could they fix on O, what can they show up and do better? The BC game was a difficult spot for Clemson, off the NC State loss. It was an emotinal low point that week for them I think.

Super curious but no idea what it gonna look like, lol. I heard someone mention they thought Clemson might look the best they have all year off a bye and really no more pressure right?

Physical and mental limitations can't necessarily be fixed, however, one would assume, that with time to address those problems, the staff should have this offense in it's best position to succeed this week since week 1. We just can't know if it will work like they want it to if the players can't or don't execute it. Like MW says, there are some other issues on the team with injuries and how they are coached as well.

Super curious but no idea what it gonna look like, lol. I heard someone mention they thought Clemson might look the best they have all year off a bye and really no more pressure right?
Think some coaches could be playing for their jobs tonight, whether that induces extra pressure or not I don't know

Cal could be live tonight, ducks have all kinds of injuries. Losing Verdell for season was a killer. Speaking of coaches on hot seat, Wilcox should be gettin there, cal been incredibly disappointing since the high hopes I heard about before start of last year! The home loss to wazzu was ugly!

Cal/ducks might be the one hope for a higher scoring power 5 game tonight. Both teams struggle getting off the field on 3rd down, ducks pass d been bad, both teams allowing lot of yards per completion. Cal really been bad in red zone which a concern.

Cal/ducks might be the one hope for a higher scoring power 5 game tonight. Both teams struggle getting off the field on 3rd down, ducks pass d been bad, both teams allowing lot of yards per completion. Cal really been bad in red zone which a concern.
Dare we go down the road of which game hits 100 this weekend?

Could be this one, could be Miss/Tenn, could be OU/TCU among others

Fwiw I'm on Ducks -14 but might add a team total

I think Wilcox could just leave for a good DC job somewhere before Cal would actually fire him unless there is some kind of scandal or infraction. He might enjoy the coordinator role again compared to trying to win at a place like Cal.

Verdell is very good. Dye is good too though. My concern for Ducks wouldn't be who the primary RB will be, but who will the #2 be and can he be equally good and contribute? And more so than that, I'd worry about what Anthony Brown is going to bring to the table tonight.

If we removed the Ohio State game from the Ducks resume and evaluated them on their other 4 games they would be quite ordinary.

I think Wilcox could just leave for a good DC job somewhere before Cal would actually fire him unless there is some kind of scandal or infraction. He might enjoy the coordinator role again compared to trying to win at a place like Cal.

Verdell is very good. Dye is good too though. My concern for Ducks wouldn't be who the primary RB will be, but who will the #2 be and can he be equally good and contribute? And more so than that, I'd worry about what Anthony Brown is going to bring to the table tonight.

If we removed the Ohio State game from the Ducks resume and evaluated them on their other 4 games they would be quite ordinary.
Told my buddy this last night….they have played exactly one “good” game. Luckily for them, it was against a perennial top 5 team. Based on balance of their resumè, i expect them to lose one or two more games. No way i could lay 2 td’s with them, but might could be talked into the over.

Dare we go down the road of which game hits 100 this weekend?

Could be this one, could be Miss/Tenn, could be OU/TCU among others

Fwiw I'm on Ducks -14 but might add a team total

Ducks huh? Well damn, I can do without cal. I’m not real excited to bet anything tonight honestly. Both the 14.5 team total unders and over in this one maybe a small 3 team round robin for shits and giggles! Lol.

Gotta be rebs/Vols doesn’t it? That total in the 80s ain’t it? Highest one I recall last few years! Don’t see many stops in that game!! Only thing is vols could have a few longer drives (as in like 5 minutes! Lol) taking what rebs defense gives ya with those 3 down lineman light boxes. Certainly won’t be a shortage of plays, pace should be there for sure.

I do like Ou to hang a huge number on tcu so yea. One these games prob will see 100+!!

Thought I saw Dye on Injury report also? In all seriousness fresno should have beat ducks, if they didn’t spot them the 14 point lead with those early fumbles fresno wins that game handily imo. I liked brown when he was at BC but doesn’t seem like he has made any progress.

I'd have to check, I haven't heard that about Dye. Some of the injury reports put players on them, but don't take them off.

He has 2,200 career yards.

Told my buddy this last night….they have played exactly one “good” game. Luckily for them, it was against a perennial top 5 team. Based on balance of their resumè, i expect them to lose one or two more games. No way i could lay 2 td’s with them, but might could be talked into the over.

Once they beat osu I expected them to lose 1-2 games for sure. It what the pac-12 does. Imo they just caught osu at the right time w the young qb and a defense struggling mightily against the run. Osu just happened to be a great matchup for them. I don’t like you discounting fresno tho! They played 2 good teams!! As I said above fresno outplayed them and would have beat them without those 2 early fumbles spotting ducks 14-0 lead.

Back