Week 6 - What Have We Learned?

Frank Costanza

Co-Inventor of the Man's Bra
- If you're a DC and can't defend, successfully, Kentucky or Miss State you should be fired.
- I love Matt Campbell more and more each day. Don't get used to having him around, ISU fans.
- Saban is just searching / reaching for ways to keep his team motivated.
- Sparty is a vaginal team.
- Dan Mullen has turned the corner, earlier than expected.
- I'm finally warming up to Sam Ehlinger. Helluva effort today. If you're a college football fan, at all, go to that game in the Cotton Bowl at some point. Incredible setting. Today was my 26th OU game in a row and it was fantastic.

Ohio State DB's and Safeties have not really shown the improvement they need when they face teams that can either stop them or can throw. Not sure how many teams in BIG that can exploit it though.
You have to really be in love with an under in todays college football to take it.
We are at the point of the year where we have to assume teams are what they have shown (Michigan State, Iowa State, Notre Dame, Washington State, Fresno State)
UCLA is getting closer. Getting better every week and have faced a brutal schedule. Might have value second half of the year.
On a Personal level, I learned backing UConn just isn't worth it. Fade or leave it be.
Ga Southern has an underrated defense
Not learned just this week but Harsin is not a good head football coach
UTEP might be better with Metz at the helm
Michigan gets better every week and the QB is getting better every week for them. Playoffs are there if they run the table.
Iowa might be under the radar pretty good

Also cannot wait for the recap thread from sk. A team won by 17 points today while only gaining 178 yards of total offense

Cal is so much better than the final scores lately. Just too young, making way too many mistakes, changing outcomes in crazy ways. They were the significantly better team on the field tonight, and should have easily had their 1st road win in forever.

That betting the TT on UMass opponents is the closest thing to free money there is in sports betting. They couldn't stop my grandma and her knitting partners, who have all long passed.

That betting the TT on UMass opponents is the closest thing to free money there is in sports betting. They couldn't stop my grandma and her knitting partners, who have all long passed.
Plus, yesterday, they just kept scoring and scoring to keep light pressure on.

Have a large bet on Clemson to make the Playoff at +110 bet early in the Summer (closed -140). Going to be tight - Ala, GA, ND, OSU I think would be the 4 today. I think Clemson will run the table in the weak ACC - question is will they get in over 1 loss GA (to bama in title game). Gotta hope ND or OSU slip but their schedules are pretty favorable rest of way. With OK and LSU losing, think it is down to these 5 for 4 spots.

I was at that game also, Frank. There may other rivalries that equal OU/Texas, but there is no college game setting that equals that game.
I hadn't attending one in a long time and it's as great a scene as ever.

I haven't seen the stats, but it seemed to me Texas averaged at least 10 ypp. As usual, Mike Stoops was humiliated. If both teams win out they will play again for the Big 12 title and I have no doubt Texas will average 10 yyp again.

Another freshman QB had a great debut. I've lost count now how many good ones I've seen, but the Iowa State kid looked great.

Nothing like having a world class kicker and Utah and Utah State both have one. That's why I bet both and it payed off.

SMU is a better team with a better D under Dykes and has gotten better every week.

McKenzie plays like a clone of Baker Mayfield. Releases it so fast the D has no chance to react and always right on the numbers.

Rocky Long is the most underrated coach and most reliable bet in football.

I continue to be astounded at how many games are decided by holding penalties. This is not a gripe at refs, they almost always get them right. A team is 50% less likely to score on any possession where they get a holding penalty and yet stupid, pointless holding penalties continue to kill teams. I understand if a lineman is beaten and grabs a guy to keep his QB from getting maimed, but those make up a small percentage of holding calls.

The vast majority fall into two catagories--one, a back changes direction and when a D-lineman changes direction the O-lineman grabs him. That makes zero sense. When a back changes direction the chances of a D-lineman trying to change course and even touching a fast back is small and the chance of tackling him is close to zero, so it never makes sense for a lineman to hold in that situation and yet they do it almost every time a back changes direction. Plus, it's by far the easiest holding penalty for the refs to see. I will never understand why coaches don't teach that to lineman.

The other instance is a wide receiver holding a D-back on a bubble screen. Again, very easy for a ref to see and most refs expect it, so watch for it every time. And the possible gain is never worth the price of getting caught.

I lost count of how many games were changed by those type calls yesterday, but it's not going to change so I'll stop my rant.

Last edited:
Bama is going to win 66-0 this week. Three no covers in a row, Saban bitching about students last week and the D was legit bad vs Arkansas. At home in night game vs projected NFL QB the students will show and so will the D. Lock historically putrid vs any defense with a pulse and MIZZOU secondary full of freshmen and have been very bad so far. There will be legit value this week.

Auburn stinks, but they can lose 4-5 games a year, beat Bama and end up in the top 10.
Florida turned a corner but don't know how if LSU is that good, guess we find out this week.
Michigan doing what they need to do, probably bet my house on Wisconsin +7 tho.
Michigan St up to being the old msu. their SB is in a couple weeks so probably been practicing for that last couple of weeks. Their o line is really really bad. If Purple pants buries you on your own field in the 2nd half, you stink.
Minnesota took a couple steps back this week.
CUM should really retire and this isn't my hatred for him and OSU coming out. Guy looked miserable against PSU last week like he was going to have stroke or something and then this weeks incident. I don't wish illness on anybody but he needs to take care of himself. Too bad he doesn't have someone in his life who can tell him this is just killing him. Walk away.
The BIG12 is trash, basketball on grass.
Washington and Notre Dame need to lose, trash. Bama beats both by 60 in a playoff.

I was at that game also, Frank. There may other rivalries that equal OU/Texas, but there is no college game setting that equals that game.

Good for you. Fun game to say the least, especially in person.

Yes, that site and setting is unlike anything else in the sport - with the huge state fair surrounding the Bowl on all sides. I love how the fans are split down the 50, so often times one team will have to drive right into the portion of the stadium where all the opposing fans are. That's what made Dicker's winning FG even more impressive - kicking right into the teeth of the OU fan section.

Have a large bet on Clemson to make the Playoff at +110 bet early in the Summer (closed -140). Going to be tight - Ala, GA, ND, OSU I think would be the 4 today. I think Clemson will run the table in the weak ACC - question is will they get in over 1 loss GA (to bama in title game). Gotta hope ND or OSU slip but their schedules are pretty favorable rest of way. With OK and LSU losing, think it is down to these 5 for 4 spots.
Why would Georgia get the nod over Clemson? Georgia hasn't done anything of note, against a schedule weaker than Clemson's. Not to mention that this should be settled on the field, and Georgia won't play Clemson because they want they want the monetary equivalent of 7.7 home games a year.

Last edited:
Back