Week 5 ML Dogs

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Probably shouldn't wait much longer than Tuesday morning to get this going.

@ProV1Colt must be tied up early this week.

44 FBS teams this year have pulled upsets. 4 teams have won straight up twice as dogs they are:

Arizona, Kansas, Middle Tennessee State and Wyoming.

18 teams have won as DD dogs. Only 1 team has won twice as a DD dog, that would be MTSU!

Middle Tennessee State +406 at Colorado State week 2 (unbelievable that line in highsight) and +1615 at Miami last week.

First pass thru….

My Cats of course
South Florida
Ohio
UCLA
Akron
Rice again…

:popcorn:

Last edited:
I like Illinois. Feel like they are better positioned this year for this kind of game and I think Wisconsin OL and D might be down from last year. The D is the key thing because last year Illinois really couldn't do anything on O, and again that would be my biggest concern. However, I look back at the week 1 Illinois State game and despite being shutout, they were able to move it better than I thought they would (4 of their first 6 drives advanced into UW territory). And Washington State had some success moving on this Wisconsin D as well. It would still be difficult for this Illinois O to do it, but I think they could. The line at 7 hosting this game also says a lot. Last year it was 11 at Illinois and Badgers won that one 24-0. Coming back home you'd expect it to be higher, but I think the spread reflects some improvement on the Illinois side and some slippage perhaps on the Wisconsin side.

I was encouraged by what I saw out of the WF O last week. While I believed they could win that game, I did not expect them to be able to run and pass, or score as well as they did vs Clemson. I also did not expect the Clemson O to have so much success, especially passing. So the WF pass D/secondary personnel is a concern as is the taxing nature of the Clemson loss. But I would think WF could compete here.

Don't know much about NC State, although I'm still not afraid to go against Clemson. This has to be their game of the year. I'm just not sure NC State is as good as anyone might've thought they were going to be?

Kind of a little crazy, but I'm not scared of Georgia Tech after the way they played last week. Don't know what the coach firing effect will be.

Michigan State just on the value aspect of getting over a TD now. Maryland finally plays one good game vs a big boy in the B1G and now they get all the respect they failed to earn before? Lia and was it Jarrett were both banged up vs Michigan. Nobody loved this Maryland D before the Michigan game, guess everyone just hates the State O, which I understand. I'm just not sure Maryland should be lined at this level based off of what we have seen this year so far in total and historically.

Virginia Tech simply because UNC's D I believe will make any offense look great. WVU is flat out a better team up and down compared to UNC and VT played pretty tough vs them. I don't like backing Wells at QB because of his turnover potential, but I'm not going to avoid them all together because of it. VT D won this game last year and they could do it again.

South Florida showed something vs Florida, what that was or why it happened exactly I don't know. I do know that I felt they would be better this year, I know they thought they would be better than BYU just buzz sawed them. I have yet to really explore the loss at Louisville last week, but I have seen a lot of ECU football through the years and this year and know they can't be trusted confidently to take care of business - and they could be a little fragile leaving home for the first time after a really really tough loss, and a physically tough loss to Navy in OT last week.

Shorter dog than I normally ML, but SMU I think is better than UCF. UCF's game at FAU says otherwise, but UCF's games vs LV and GT might confirm such. Those are P5 teams, so I get that. SMU also has some failures vs their P5 opponents, both better than what UCF played and both just 7 point losses.
SMU outgained Maryland and were only slightly outgained by TCU last week (11 yards). I don't really think this UCF team is up to standards or the hype and I think SMU could end up winning the American.

If O'Connell is out, I might actually like Purdue. A little reverse psychology. But my thinking is that Purdue needs something different, and Brohm needs something different in this game. Burton's running might be an x factor to boost Purdue. I probably will not play this as a ML as I would rather than the 11 pts, which is pretty high - and likely a reaction from last week's FAU result for Purdue as well as Minnesota's big win vs MSU. Definitely a sell high, buy low opportunity.

Tons of points for Navy to be getting. Air Force is very strong this year and Navy O is not, again. Navy D is still capable however. Always an absolutely enormous game for either team in the first leg of the CIC trophy round robin. Navy won a really gutty and draining game at ECU last week, so normally would be tough to get up maybe, but there won't be any problem given the opponent this week. The line and the odds of a ML on them make this interesting, I would suspect Air Force wins, but seems like a reasonable chance to take given the rivalry and the generous points/odds. The question lately with the Mids is always, how do they score and can they score enough? That is exactly why they lost last year even though their D played as well as they possibly could have.

Kansas has done it twice already, not sure why they can't do it again? Some talk of the disrespect as they are not ranked nationally yet in the top 25. KU D needs to tighten up however.

Temple is building their confidence, but their recent opponents are as bad as they come. Memphis out for revenge for last year's upset in Philly. Can't really see Temple winning as far as putting my money on them, but I do wonder if they can keep it close for the 1H perhaps.

Tulsa is always a great dog and Cincy seems pretty inconsistent this year. Bad 1H vs Ark and MiaO. Bad 2H vs Indiana. A lot of points no matter who the QB ends up being for Tulsa. Tulsa has played better Cincy teams within 1 score the last two meetings as well and actually is 3-0 ATS vs them 2019-2021.

Oregon State would have a chance if they don't have the USC hangover. Utah is very strong, but I don't think this to be a game that Utah should just push the Beavs around. And vs San Diego State and vs Arizona State, Utah just slowly and to their credit methodically pulls away and smothered some poor offenses and bad teams in the process. Oregon State offers quite a bit more challenge than those two. This Oregon State D has come a long way since Smith got hired. The last two years have been one score games either way between these two.

New Mexico State won last week as a single digit home favorite and now they get posted as a DD fav vs one of the worst, if not the worst FBS team going in Florida International. In FIU's favor, this is the weakest team they have played so far and I include Bryant in that comparison. New Mexico State is now expected to cover 2 TDss after beating Hawaii 45-26. Note that NM State only completed 8-of-15 passes for 81y and only outgained Hawaii by 27 yards. FIU is awfully bad, but everyone wants to come out and prove something after losing 73-0, right? Two very bad teams going here, if one bad team beat the other bad team would anyone really be surprised? FIU is down, a lot, but it is only New Mexico State here.

I'm running out of time now...but yes plenty more I could make case for: Kentucky, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Arkansas, Central Michigan, Ohio, ULM, Troy, Rice

Last edited:
"was encouraged by what I saw out of the WF O last week. While I believed they could win that game, I did not expect them to be able to run and pass, or score as well as they did vs Clemson. I also did not expect the Clemson O to have so much success, especially passing. So the WF pass D/secondary personnel is a concern as is the taxing nature of the Clemson loss. But I would think WF could compete here."

Conversely, I don't think our DBs match up well with Wake. I give a very good chance at the outright. Have to watch weather though.

"was encouraged by what I saw out of the WF O last week. While I believed they could win that game, I did not expect them to be able to run and pass, or score as well as they did vs Clemson. I also did not expect the Clemson O to have so much success, especially passing. So the WF pass D/secondary personnel is a concern as is the taxing nature of the Clemson loss. But I would think WF could compete here."

Conversely, I don't think our DBs match up well with Wake. I give a very good chance at the outright. Have to watch weather though.
Total already plunging because as of now it's supposed to be a downpour and windy during the game.

Weather could be a big factor this week as the hurricane is going to impact dozens of games and practice during the week

Anyone think UConn possibly has a shot at home vs. Fresno? Remember last year when Wyoming struggled so badly in their game in the far east? Took 2 4th Qtr scores to beat UConn....Wonder how Fresno does when they travel east?

Anyone think UConn possibly has a shot at home vs. Fresno? Remember last year when Wyoming struggled so badly in their game in the far east? Took 2 4th Qtr scores to beat UConn....Wonder how Fresno does when they travel east?

worth pizza money

Took the fighting teapots
other possibles
TCU
old dom
smu
kentucky
Ags
nortex

I'd say Arizona wins but CU could cover. Arz is quite a bit better than CU, this is not 2021 Zona. I think CU would've gone winless vs the Zona schedule to date.

ULL getting 9 is another dog that wouldn't surprise me if they won SU. They are another one I am thinking about taking the points and maybe some beer money on the ML.

What do you guys think about Ohio....may take them +11.5 but would not be surprised if they won SU at Kent unless I am missing something...

Marski is OU alum and knows the team.

I think Kent has earned a lot of good will in competitive showings at Washington, at Oklahoma and at Georgia.

Maybe a good over game?

ULL has been mostly bad all year. I've bet against them every week this year in a variety of ways, it'd be hard for me to take them now vs a team that has been as good as South Bama has been. But at the same time, I'm not laying it with USA either.

ULL has been mostly bad all year. I've bet against them every week this year in a variety of ways, it'd be hard for me to take them now vs a team that has been as good as South Bama has been. But at the same time, I'm not laying it with USA either.
Yeah I hear ya, I just see this as one of those games that could go either way so with ULL at home with a chance at an upset it would not shock me in the least if they won SU, but not sure if I will actually play the ML or just take the points if it hits 10.5.

2 that haven't been mentioned - texas tech can beat k state. and troy just out yarded marshall 420- 174, and i'm not sure how good this years western kentucky team is

imo troy, smu, west va, iowa, kentucky, tcu, texas tech, oregon state, tulsa, purdue with oconnel, sparty, nc state, wake, illinois, sdstu.....even new mexico are live dogs

anyone remember a week with so many power 5 games lined between 6-8 ? and i like the dog in all of them

i was on a ton of dogs last week. hoping this week will be a mix.

little value on wyoming, imo.

MTSU would be a public dog, i'd think. so would...
TT
Kentucky :(
Kansas
Wake
Indiana
NCST

my memory is for shit, but weeks two and four sure did well for dogs...public or not.

What is the most reliable way to gauge the bet % and money % of teams? Which site would be most accurate?

I can't bring myself to do it, but I think Arkansas deserves some consideration. Not necessarily a good matchup for the Hogs, but Alabama has been less than impressive in their last 5 or so true road games. And I think Arky is likely better than all of the teams we've struggled with on the road

public dogs are usually bad bets, who are the public dogs ? feels like lot of people on dogs this week

Gotta think uk gonna be really popular considering where they ranked and catching a td. Only reason I don’t like them a lot. Ku prob as well

Reactions: KJ
What is the most reliable way to gauge the bet % and money % of teams? Which site would be most accurate?

I don’t trust any of them honestly. I kinda prefer looking at the percentage of picks in different contest just cause I know those accurate.

I haven't seen one person that likes Ole Miss winning let alone laying a TD+

Yea, my 1st thought was “holy shit that a big number”, then I saw how high up uk was in rankings and it scared me! I have in my notes to look and see how good ol piss Is at getting pressure? That uk biggest weakness I can see is they not protecting Levis real well. Regardless I don’t see any way I can get myself to actually laying -7, again scary.

Reactions: KJ
you know i think there is a stat out there that talks about 0-4 ats teams vs 4-0 ats teams and this game would apply and the 0-4 team usually covers if i recall ?.....but the line isn't that high for what the teams have put on tape

Really? Not saying you wrong just surprising to me, just on name alone I’d think wiscy gets some respect from ppl against Illinios.
i don't know the bet #'s - but line has plummeted from 10 to 7 .....sensing nobody wants a piece of wisconsin losing by 40 the perception on that team is bad. .....all they did is lose to a team that would beat Illinois by the same margin..... Wisconsin usually thrives in this spot - last year after back to back losses where their offense looked like garbage they shutout illinois 24-0. I can see both sides here, not touching it - but illinois feels public. Everyone said kansas is public but everyone i see is on iowa state.

I'd say Arizona wins but CU could cover. Arz is quite a bit better than CU, this is not 2021 Zona. I think CU would've gone winless vs the Zona schedule to date.
Watching the TV one pukes watching the Buffs play or is it even called playing when they are this bad. This is a line game and based upon past schedules. Colorado by far the tougher schedule and Arizona 2 covers were against SDST that doesnt play well and DOG against NDST. This is the only time I would even consider embarrassing myself on a forum recommending a bad team but I do feel good about how bad Arizona will be. Fade Colorado and make a ton of cash the rest of the season but not here play or pass.

you know i think there is a stat out there that talks about 0-4 ats teams vs 4-0 ats teams and this game would apply and the 0-4 team usually covers if i recall ?.....but the line isn't that high for what the teams have put on tape

The "due factor". Kind of smiling, as my friend and I years ago would be talking games and sometimes we'd end with "they're just due" to win or lose or cover or fail. 0-4 vs 4-0 it a tempting situation for averages to start balancing out.

South Alabama has been good this year, although their performance last week wasn't one of them despite looking good on the scoreboard and they covered. Perhaps they are slowing down a bit. Still ULL's mistakes and general lack of consistent O and run D are a primary concern.

For me, if I like something, it doesn't matter what might be popular or public. On the other hand, if I'm on the fence and have to make a pick or decision for a contest or something, I'll go against the popular opinion.

I like Illinois here and if it is a public dog and loses I'm fine with that betting my conscience.

IMHO, one of the shortest lines this week that caught my attention was Georgia St. @ Army....tried to figure out why and I think I found it. Jeff Monken coached teams are 0-12 ATS and 8-4 SU as a home favorite against opponents in which he blew out in a previous matchup...specifically, the criteria I used was the final ATS margin was greater than 10 pts. One of the home losses Army suffered was the home loss to San Jose St. in 2019 in which the line on that game was -9.5. The opening line for this game just happened to be -9.5 over Georgia St....weird.

IMHO, by far, the shortest line offered this week is Ohio +7.5 @ Kent St. Looks like it has since been bet up to +11.5. Tried to figure out why and there are a couple things on my mind. 1) their previous opponent was Jawja. I know, from My Cats experience, Mark Stoops teams are winless ATS in the game after playing the Dawgs. Basically, they beat the shit out of each other and don't have much left in the tank the following week. Kent St. most certainly played hard last week as they covered the spread by>25pts. Do they have much left in their tank? 2) Additionally, Sean Lewis coached teams are 0-3 SU and 0-3 ATS in games in which they beat the spread by >25pts the previous week. Now, I will add, all 3 of those games have occurred on the road and this game is at home vs. Ohio but considering all the factors, including the linesmakers have offered this line so low, and the home team is currently a public fav....whelp, all put together, I find the Bobcats a very intriguing dog. <== did I really say that? Ohio ML will be on my card this weekend fwiw. Best of luck in which you decide Gents!

Kent State played pretty well vs Oklahoma (7-3 halftime), covered +33 in a 33-3 final. Came home and won big vs Long Island 63-10 -39.5. Kent has played Washington, Oklahoma and Georgia in 3 of their first 4 weeks. And competed well enough in varied degrees in all 3 of them. So they definitely could be beat up. Or they could feel good about themselves like they can play with anyone. I would lean with Ohio +pts, but don't think I will ML them.

i don't know the bet #'s - but line has plummeted from 10 to 7 .....sensing nobody wants a piece of wisconsin losing by 40 the perception on that team is bad. .....all they did is lose to a team that would beat Illinois by the same margin..... Wisconsin usually thrives in this spot - last year after back to back losses where their offense looked like garbage they shutout illinois 24-0. I can see both sides here, not touching it - but illinois feels public. Everyone said kansas is public but everyone i see is on iowa state.

Yea, I didn’t think getting smashed by osu hurt other big10 teams perception. I’m not allowed to bet Illini games anyways so I never look at them much.

Not good juju for Wake Forest ML backers...Dave Clawson is 2-6 SU & 2-6 ATS in games played 1 week after playing Clemson. These numbers include 0-4 SU & 0-4 ATS as a road dog. Meanwhile, Mike Norvell is 6-0 SU & 4-2 ATS in games as a home fav coming off a win in which his team beat the spread by >10pts.

Played this one...3, 4, 5, & 6-teamer RR with:

Ohio Bobcats +330
Akron Zips +280
Georgia State Panthers +260
Kentucky Wildcats +200
UCLA Bruins +119
Michigan State Spartans 1st Quarter +161
Risked $42 ($1 per Parlay) to Win $4,442.65

BOLTA!

:watchingsports:

Played this one...3, 4, 5, & 6-teamer RR with:

Ohio Bobcats +330
Akron Zips +280
Georgia State Panthers +260
Kentucky Wildcats +200
UCLA Bruins +119
Michigan State Spartans 1st Quarter +161
Risked $42 ($1 per Parlay) to Win $4,442.65

BOLTA!

:watchingsports:
Hey JRock, pretty sure I asked you this before so apologies in advance but how do these work exactly?

Hey JRock, pretty sure I asked you this before so apologies in advance but how do these work exactly?
in this particular example...there are 42 total parlays...there are 20 3-teamers, 15 4-teamers, 6 5-teamers, and 1 6-teamer parlays. It's called a round robin. I put a total of $1 on each for a total wager of $42...payouts vary but total payout if all 6 teams win is $4,442.65.......I really need to hit at least 4 out of 5 teams to make anything. If 1 3-teamer hits normally get my initial wager back.

in this particular example...there are 42 total parlays...there are 20 3-teamers, 15 4-teamers, 6 5-teamers, and 1 6-teamer parlays. It's called a round robin. I put a total of $1 on each for a total wager of $42...payouts vary but total payout if all 6 teams win is $4,442.65.......I really need to hit at least 4 out of 5 teams to make anything. If 1 3-teamer hits normally get my initial wager back.
Thanks man, my old brain can’t remember anything these days

Back