Week 4 Discussion Thread

Seems consensus is Bengals bounce back vs Carolina. Why is that ? There all in game was the commanders game to not go 0-3. Think they just aren't good, reminds me of dolphins at home vs bills on huge revenge spot.

Seattle Detroit - can't remember last time an out of division game at the same venue 3 years in a row. Revenge was supposed to be for lions last year and same thing happened.

Seems consensus is Bengals bounce back vs Carolina. Why is that ? There all in game was the commanders game to not go 0-3. Think they just aren't good, reminds me of dolphins at home vs bills on huge revenge spot.

Seattle Detroit - can't remember last time an out of division game at the same venue 3 years in a row. Revenge was supposed to be for lions last year and same thing happened.

I went to bed last night disgusted with the Bengals and questioning whether or not they remotely give a shit. I was firmly on Washington and cashed.

Woke up, looked at the line and am willing to give them another shot. This game was -7 a couple days ago. We frequently in the NFL have to remind ourselves to not overreact to the week prior. Andy Dalton didnt suddenly become awesome. Carolina (who i did take over wins and to make playoffs) didn't suddenly fix what ails them. They still allowed almost 6 yards a play for the game against a far worse offense than is coming to town

Let's do a fun blind DVOA test: (i omitted special teams)

12th overall, 5th offense, 24th defense

13th overall, 11th offense, 20th defense

14th overall, 26th offense, 7th defense

15th overall, 7th offense, 19th defense

And here we are...

12. Cincy 0-3
13. KC 3-0
14. Houston 2-1
15- San Fran 1-2

Now DVOA isnt scripture this early but it does provide a snapshot of what a team is doing on a play by play basis. Right now it says, despite the record and two very uninspiring performances, they are still an above average football team. A very very desperate football team. They have Baltimore on deck. This hasssssssss to be a win or there will be some very uncomfortable conversations in that organization. (Idk, perhaps why didnt we pay Chase and why didnt we trade Higgins for draft capital, and why does Zac Taylor always have that fucking look on his face)

Think of every square bettor you know. And after what they saw Sunday, tell me who they are def taking in this game. (no offense to anyone here who is on Car.)

I just feel like this is Cincy's spot and season..

GL on this one

Last edited:
I went to bed last night disgusted with the Bengals and questioning whether or not they remotely give a shit. I was firmly on Washington and cashed.

Woke up, looked at the line and am willing to give them another shot. This game was -7 a couple days ago. We frequently in the NFL have to remind ourselves to not overreact to the week prior. Andy Dalton didnt suddenly become awesome. Carolina (who i did take over wins and to make playoffs) didn't suddenly fix what ails them. They still allowed almost 6 yards a play for the game against a far worse offense than is coming to town

And here we are...

12. Cincy 0-3
13. KC 3-0
14. Houston 2-1
15- San Fran 1-2

Now DVOA isnt scripture this early but it does provide a snapshot of what a team is doing on a play by play basis. Right now it says, despite the record and two very uninspiring performances, they are still an above average football team. A very very desperate football team. They have Baltimore on deck. This hasssssssss to be a win or there will be some very uncomfortable conversations in that organization. (Idk, perhaps why didnt we pay Chase and why didnt we trade Higgins for draft capital, and why does Zac Taylor always have that fucking look on his face)

Think of every square bettor you know. And after what they saw Sunday, tell me who they are def taking in this game. (no offense to anyone here who is on Car.)

GL on this one
Yep. It’s just too cheap not to take a stab. I’ve done with way shittier and less proven teams.

And here we are...

12. Cincy 0-3
13. KC 3-0
14. Houston 2-1
15- San Fran 1-2

GL on this one
The squares were on Cincy in a "must win" on Monday night. You could definitely be right though. They went to Arizona and took care of business last year. But a below avg d somehow got much worse. Carolina I think is the best oline the Bengals have faced. Nobody is talking about the Panthers online. As long as the Panthers contain the run game the d isn't bad.

Bet Detroit but am wondering why it will be different this year after b2b almost identical lines and results. Geno owns em and McDonald owns em. Goff looks off. Seattle only can be better then last year's version, but they have played absolutely no one ! And if anything they should of lost to a patriots team that is a lesser version of the lions and play style. Lions with the new unis and home crowd and revenge (which hasn't mattered in this one) somehow got me over.

The squares were on Cincy in a "must win" on Monday night. You could definitely be right though. They went to Arizona and took care of business last year. But a below avg d somehow got much worse. Carolina I think is the best oline the Bengals have faced. Nobody is talking about the Panthers online. As long as the Panthers contain the run game the d isn't bad.

Bet Detroit but am wondering why it will be different this year after b2b almost identical lines and results. Geno owns em and McDonald owns em. Goff looks off. Seattle only can be better then last year's version, but they have played absolutely no one ! And if anything they should of lost to a patriots team that is a lesser version of the lions and play style. Lions with the new unis and home crowd and revenge (which hasn't mattered in this one) somehow got me over.
I read they had 2 starting defensive tackles out vs. Washington. If they're back could be even better bet.

The Dallas run d gonna have their hands full with Saquan Barkley!

Oh wait, giants let him walk ! 😂

You would think Dallas defense could maybe defend a team that isn’t great running the ball and Danny jones the qb? I think Dak has beat giants like 12 straight games? Something crazy I believe.

And here we are...

12. Cincy 0-3
13. KC 3-0
14. Houston 2-1
15- San Fran 1-2

GL on this one

Im square enough i lost a parlay cause cincy ml this past week, sharp enough panthers were one my favorite Sunday bets. Gotta love bungals again this week, the offense did as I expected Monday night, I didn’t realize the defense was that awful, I think very highly of Washington qb and playcaller but not forcing one punt all night is just bad no matter who you playing! As mentioned they were down 2 defensive tackles, were playing a guy they signed off street in one those spots, certainly could matter but I dunno if they be back? All that said I still think the majority of squares which I’m prob part of would only take bungals this week, maybe im only half a square tho! Lol. Totally agree on panthers and Dalton, I saw that win in Vegas coming from a mile away but I hardly think that a repeatable performance. Pretty confident cincy offense has it together even tho Washington secondary is awful which why I thought Cincy win that game. I dunno what panthers pass d is like? I assume not great.

Last year was a myriad of brutal calls too. Officiating was awful. The one Hutch call/non call directly led to defeat.

Seattle might be a 5-7 seed, but they are not in same level as Detroit. Now, is this a matchup issue? Maybe.

Two years ago the Detroit defense was AWFUL till November. They made a big move after the Halloween weekend game vs Miami and started this run. That Seattle game was the result of having zero defense.

Last year, bad loss that was aided...

This number is off a bit. Detroit in primetime wins as Seattle plays their first quality opponent.

Last year was a myriad of brutal calls too. Officiating was awful. The one Hutch call/non call directly led to defeat.

Seattle might be a 5-7 seed, but they are not in same level as Detroit. Now, is this a matchup issue? Maybe.

Two years ago the Detroit defense was AWFUL till November. They made a big move after the Halloween weekend game vs Miami and started this run. That Seattle game was the result of having zero defense.

This number is off a bit. Detroit in primetime wins as Seattle plays their first quality opponent.
Lions had also just lost their defensive captain before the Seattle game.

We just saw on Thursday what Pats D looked like in its first game without its captain.

I thought holding down the Kyler lead cardinals was a pretty big statement for the lions d. Gotta cover that stable of very good WRs Seattle has but if they can get after geno you would think he make mistakes?

That's right. I've been trying to figure out why that defense was so bad.

Not a single punt. Bengals offense was damn good -- FGs vs TDs was the difference.

I dunno if that was all of the issue but yea playing a Dude you just signed off the street in the middle probably caused problems. The last Washington drive to put them up 2 scores they had them in 2nd and 21 and still couldn’t get off the field!! Obviously the dt’s being back help and slowing down the red water pistol and panthers should be a much easier task than a Washington offense that I believe will continue to blow some defenses up! The week prior against giants I don’t believe they punted much at all either, they were awful in the red zone tho, clearly something they made sure to fix even on a short week, Very good coaching job. If Dan Quinn can figure out a way to get his secondary to cover anyone or mask that glaring problem somehow the commanders be a problem for the nfc east scrubs!

I thought holding down the Kyler lead cardinals was a pretty big statement for the lions d. Gotta cover that stable of very good WRs Seattle has but if they can get after geno you would think he make mistakes?
Detroit big issue last few years is running QBs

9 for 45 with Kyler...

Another test here but I feel they have corrected some of those issues.

Not all, but some.

Detroit big issue last few years is running QBs

9 for 45 with Kyler...

Another test here but I feel they have corrected some of those issues.

Not all, but some.

Does geno run? I really dunno for some reason but I’ve always thought of him as a pocket qb. He damn sure never been close to Kyler level, holding Kyler to that is a win imo, especially when ya consider the job they did against the pass.

I’m assuming Herbert isn’t playing for chargers? How long he out? Just assuming based off the kc-8 on road like there no way Herbert is playing.

I’m assuming Herbert isn’t playing for chargers? How long he out? Just assuming based off the kc-8 on road like there no way Herbert is playing.
You know what, on my quick cap this morning I'm like WTF with this line. Totally missed that on Sunday. I guess I never went through the box.

You know what, on my quick cap this morning I'm like WTF with this line. Totally missed that on Sunday. I guess I never went through the box.

Friend of mine text me talking bout he needed however many yards passing left from Herbert, I felt so bad telling him the mfin backup was playing. Then the late slate hit and I had fucking Theilen ov 42,5 keys on bunch of plays which of course he hurts his hammy 3 yards short and now on IL or IR or whatever they call the nfl injured not playing for weeks thing.

In further injury news, it looks like Seahawks might be down some key run defenders?... this would obviously be bad news against the beast combo of Montgomery + Gibbs + run-blocking. Otherwise I really don't like the combo of already down Goff + Mike Macdonald defense

I must be in the minority in thinking the Bengals offense looked pretty bad compared to expectations. It took their defense playing so awful to even give them a shot at their team total and naturally two big plays to Chase helped against the worst secondary in the league. Burrow looked awful for a big part of that game, had deer in headlight look once they got inside the 30. Situation is ideal obviously but that team is really not good.

I think that Texans line is inflated.

Divisional game where everyone expects the Texans to bounce back huge/Jags are toast.

However.....

Texans look like they have some serious protection problems

Mixon still banged up and hasn't practiced.

Jags have the wr to attack the Texans secondary which I think is terrible.

Jags couldn't have possibly played worse vs Buffalo I don't think they are as bad as they have looked. Jags have won last 2x @ Houston.

Divisional game where everyone expects the Texans to bounce back huge/Jags are toast.

However.....

Jags couldn't have possibly played worse vs Buffalo I don't think they are as bad as they have looked. Jags have won last 2x @ Houston.
Great thoughts. My main concern is Houston‘s third-ranked pass rush (based on sack rate) going against Jacksonville‘s awful protection. Brian Thomas is mainly a deep threat so Trevor needs time to throw to him. I think Jax lacks a true number one receiver.

However.....

Yeah objectively speaking I don’t know what‘s really different about this Jax team from the one that won in Houston last year. That win preceded the big collapse that engulfed the rest of the season

realizing san fran runs the same defense the jets run. jets run defense was bad going in and they just used speed rushes to blow everything up.

Great spot for san fran after 2 losses. Surprised the d hasn't improved since firing wilks though.

also starting to think patriots d is overrated. jets ran it down their throat.

However.....

Even before any texans issues I been saying every week they always seem to fizzle out and settle for fgs, happens way to much and I think biggest reason they didn’t cover in either their wins (depending on number in bears game). No mixon def hurts them, prob hurts the pass pro as well but dealing w Vikings defensive scheme which puts a ton of ppl up on the Los and makes it tough to figure out where the pressure coming from and in minny w all that noise is prob a lot tougher than it be this week. I do agree with you that line is prob high and I doubt they cover if only cause they settle for so many fg attempts.

realizing san fran runs the same defense the jets run. jets run defense was bad going in and they just used speed rushes to blow everything up.

Great spot for san fran after 2 losses. Surprised the d hasn't improved since firing wilks though.

also starting to think patriots d is overrated. jets ran it down their throat.
That was first game Pats played without their defensive captain

In further injury news, it looks like Seahawks might be down some key run defenders?... this would obviously be bad news against the beast combo of Montgomery + Gibbs + run-blocking. Otherwise I really don't like the combo of already down Goff + Mike Macdonald defense
anyone saying they know what to expect is lying. I’d lean to it’s going to be an issue obviously the line doesn’t say so, right?

Over or under tonight? Dalllas games all have gottten to 50, don’t think any giants game has gotten to 40!! Beats me, lol.

Back