• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Week 3 in the FCS

Looks like I may run outta time....When I try to do this on the phone while out doing stuff, it never works out because the lines move so fast

Interesting dynamic with Taylor coming from Sac State to Stanford...obviously both teams will know each other, but only laying 5.5 for example may be worth a shot, but not sure yet

Campbell? Two offensive teams I'd think. I am unsure what the score looks like. Seems high. Some of Monmouth's scoring last week was misleading
Yeah, just seems like a lot has to go right for those two to hit that number, but don't know enough about either....just one of those that jumped out to me just now

If I wasn't a gambler I would middle that Harvard total once it gets into the 30s, but I want to roll Under

Official departure time of 12 noon but will be back by Heels kickoff at 3:30pm. Hope to get a shot at Youngstown, Furman, UNH, Princeton, Morgan, ACU and a few others between now and then, we'll see....Best of luck with the early games guys!

That Camp/Mon total really crashed too. I had not thought about that

Bet Rivers must not like the ND/Boise or StTh/Harv games as they are not posting. DK did put up a 44 total on Harv

I thought the Penn/Colgate total would drop as much, but it did not. St Thomas O vs Harv D and Harv assumingly has a limited O themselves a not terrible St Thomas D means everyone loved that one

Just based on line movement I am a little nervous about Georgetown. I did not get the best number, I have 9.5 and the fact that it has settled there now pretty much makes me wonder

what book offers live FCS betting? Bovada only offered 4 today and BM and BOL do not.

Think I count 13 upsets today, lots of big ones, 5 were DD.

Only Dll over Dl was Delta St over MVState, but Delta was favored anyway. Ferris gave Montana all they could handle though! Man that was pretty close.

Favorites I liked today, man, they succcckkkeeedddd. It was penalties taking away good plays, penalties giving the other team first downs, it was turnovers, it was defensive breakdowns, like hey let's give up 3rd and 14 on a draw play! Georgetown was really frustrating, so many mistakes and busts in that game. YSU, they trailed 14-13 1Q, not easy to cover 4 TDs starting like that. Then they got ahead of the spread and they finish the game the way they start it with 2 Robert Morris 4Q TDs. William & Mary, good lord! Even if Charleston Southern doesn't return that KO for TD and W&M shuts them out, because that offense was not scoring on that D today, even if that, W&M still wouldn't have covered! What is up with that offense vs a team like that? Furman - I mean I didn't have the opening 7, so I need them to win by 2 scores...they should've won by 7 though. Kennessaw is better than I thought?

Any big favorite I took really sucked today, maybe I should've seen that coming. Generally happy with how the dogs went, but it was a dog day anyhow. Got lucky with that FG that was no good by Cal in the final minute to keep it a 14 pt game and got lucky with ND State not scoring with like :30 seconds left from the 2 or something to keep that an 18 pt game. I had numbers all over the place in both those, losses, pushes and wins. Tight finishes to win a few of them. I was real big on SEMO, man that was a hell of a comeback by SIU. Fucking tough as nails is what SIU is. But SEMO has lost exactly one turnover all year, guess when, Geno Hess of all people fumble while SEMO is killing clock with 1min left and that's it. Nic Baker and Co go down and win the game. That was a great game. Illinois State at Eastern Illinois had no booth announcers, no commentators the entire game! I'm like listening to crowd noise and music through the stadium PA and shit for that one. Kind of like how rough some of these FCS broadcasts are. Totals? 0-3 on Unders that sank like an anchor after I got a high open, 2 week 1 and 1 today. Nothing like nailing a good open before it gets smashed only to see the Over get smashed in the games. Today fortunately I had a little more on the Penn Under than the Harvard Under because it didn't move as much and I kept hitting it. I'll catch up on more of the finals later.

I'm not going to be able to get the Week 4 thread up until Tuesday, but wanted to touch on some games from yesterday

The upsets:

The biggest in terms of line was Presbyterian who won as a 31 pt dog and around +1400 if you could find it. The same Presbyterian that got outgained by nearly 300y week 1 to Murray St outgained Wofford by 95 in an ugly game. Presbyterian had the lead early and again in the 3Q, but they were trailing by 4 with under 6min to go. They were INT’d on 4th-10, but Wofford roughed the passer. Presbyterian faced 4th-10 again, and got an 11y play. And on their third 4th down of the drive, they scored an 18y TD pass for the lead with just :28 left! 23-20 F. Presbyterian ran for just 3.9ypc and completed 38% of their passes and they scored just 1 TD on 4 RZ trips while missing 2 FGs, but they did have a 24-12 FD edge and ended with 405y to Wofford's 310y ... Wofford must've really stunk in this game to lose to them.

The biggest in terms of excitement and off the field stories comes in the Sacramento State win vs Stanford which was a fun game. Sac St did close at 6.5 in some places but were also a full TD or slightly more dog in others and about +220. Tree got out to a 14-3 lead, but Sac St was right there after their opening drive, they scored 3 straight and actually led 17-14 HT. Not sure if anyone saw highlights, but game was tied, Stanford had just punted. IT's 3rd down and Sac St QB Bennett escaped pressure and as he was being tackled he flipped a short pass out to the sideline where a waiting receiver raced 49y for the go-ahead score with 1-1/2 minutes left. They reviewed it as the Stanford coach, who of course was previously the Sac St coach said Bennett's knee was down, it was not. Just a great play in a huge moment. Sac St outgained them 448-387 (6.5-5.9) and their D racked up 6 sacks!

Another was Wagner who won as a 10 pt dog at Sacred Heart who is now 0-3. SHU had previously been outgained in their first two games, but vs Wagner they had the +123 yardage edge, but lost 10-17 on the scoreboard. Wagner hasn't shown anything this year, kind of made Fordham work for their game, but still that was a 30 pt final margin and they did contain Navy, but that was a weird game and Wagner had very little O vs them. Wagner actually had very little O vs SHU also, just 219 TY (3.3)! But SHU threw 3 INTs all in the 1H, one of which Wagner returned 52y for a D TD. Wagner led this 17-0 and SHU was SOD in Wagner territory twice in the 2H trying to rally. SHU had a 342-219 TY edge (4.6-3.3) including 232-133 RY (4.9-3.4).

I think Stonehill was a shocker, because, well I bet Georgetown to cover 9/10 pts. GT outscored Marist and SHU 76-17 and outgained them by a combined 449 the first two games. Stonehill came in off a dramatic DD underdog win at CCSU where their kicker hit a career long FG as time expired. He ended up kicking the game winner here again, 23-20. GT never led, but the game was tied 7-7, 13-13, 20-20. I can't remember their names and I was unable to identify who they may've been in looking at the stats, but the broadcasters kept saying that a couple key defenders were out for GT. Maybe that had an impact, but Stonehill played very well and Georgetown really was not sharp at all, they just did not look like the same team at all.

Utah Tech was a DD dog at Northern Arizona and they not only won, but they led 50-15 at one point! The final was 50-36. NAU turned it over 5x and two of those were returned for UTU TDs.

Eddie George's Tennessee State team got a big win a 10 pt dog over Gardner Webb. GW never led by more than 7 in the 1H and as the game wore on both offenses struggled. TSU got some breaks and made some plays. A punt snap went over GW's head giving TSU the ball at the GW07 which would lead to a TD and a TSU 21-17 lead. But after a safety and a TD GW retook the lead 25-24 (2pt no good). Getting late in the game, TSU threw an INT and GW punted pinning them down inside their own 5 with under 2min to go. A D PI aided them along the way and they got to the GW33 and nailed a 50y FG for the win!

My personal favorite upset of the day was Eastern Illinois over Illinois State. When Eastern Ill wins, they have won ugly. Just one offensive TD in their week 1 win and there was just 1 TD by them through 59 minutes in this game as well. EIU led 7-0 HT, but ILL St would tie and then take a 13-7 lead with just 4min left, but the xpt was off the upright - that would be huge. With 3min to go EIU threw an INT and it looked bleak, but they pushed ILL St back and got the ball back at their own 7 following a 71y punt with just 1-1/2 minutes left. EIU QB Holley went 7 of 8 passing down the field and the only incompletion actually wasn't incomplete because they called D PI and targeting on ILL St. They never faced a 3rd down moving right down the field and connected on a 25y pass for the winning TD (and xpt) with just :25 left. ILL ST turned it over 4x and EIU turned it over 3x and ILL St finished with a 51 yardage edge thanks to their 12 TFLs resulting in 63 yards of loss.

Ivy League kicked off and there was an upset there. Lafayette beat Columbia and outgained them by 307y in the process! Lafayette did really take something from their play at Duke, they are 2-1 on the season and don't appear all that bad. Columbia could neither run (2.5ypc) nor pass (36% completions). Lafayette Jamar Curtis is having a pretty good year and he ran for 145 (7.3) with 2 TDs.

Cornell led 17-0 and 20-7 at Lehigh but allowed a TD with 1min left for a 23-20 F. Last year Cornell's 5 wins were by 6, 3, 4, 3, and 4. So winning this game by 3 is par for them, but they really did look good until Lehigh backdoored. Cornell outgained them 401-239. Big Red struggled in the RZ with just 1 TD on 6 trips.

A game garner a lot of interest and line movement was Holy Cross at Yale. It looked like it was going to be a tight one back-and-forth, but Yale could not keep up. HC scored on 7 of their first 8 possessions with the other being a missed FG. HC outgained them 491-369 (7.0-5.1).

Penn won 20-6 but only outgained Colgate 276-257 (4.1-3.3). Penn D did have 6 sacks.

Another game of interest was St Thomas at Harvard due to a high opening total of 49.5 which closed in the upper 30s! Well, Harvard led 21-0 end 1Q and it was 31-0 HT. Harvard had 79y and 69y TD runs to go with a 96y pick-six and a FG following a St Thom fumble. Due to some short fields and D score, Harvard only outgained them 347-312 (4.8-5.1), but won 45-13.

Princeton could've scored on 3 of their first 5 drives, but instead did score two TDs, but were SOD at the SD09 on the other. San Diego went 3-and-out on 4 of their first 5 possessions, somehow the other was a TD. Princeton made it 21-9 2H, but then punted on their next 6 possessions gaining just 60y total in those. They had a 399-194 (5.3-3.3) TY edge in an ugly win. San Diego finished with negative rush yards.

Brown and Bryant played yet another wild and crazy game. They had two lead changes in the final minute here. Brown led 13-0 after Bryant fumbled deep in their own territory. Bryant clawed back 17-16, but Brown got their second short field TD to retake a 22-17 lead (2pt not good). Brown tried to ice the game with a 4th down conversion 2min left, but were stopped. Bryant went down the field with a TD and a 2pt conversion with just 1:03 left. Brown went back like a hot knife through butter completions of 15, 12 and 30 yards to the Bryant 19 then a D PI put them on the 4 where they scored from with :14 left. Bryant was -4 TO margin and had a slight total yard edge. Those two short field TD drives by Brown were big (14 pts off 40 yards on those two drives).

New Hampshire was in a defensive game? What? Dartmouth's offense looked about as pedestrian as it was early in the year last season. UNH led 10-0 HT. UNH benefitted from good field position throughout and never went more than 52y for any of their points in the 24-7 win. Dartmouth did eventually get some offense going and actually finished with a 314-274 TY edge. Laube does what he does for UNH, another 200+all purpose game for him and a couple TDs.

Ivy Unders did go 5-3

Big comebacks?

In the battle for the real HU, Howard led by 14 often and by as many as 17 mid 3Q. But Hampton scored 21 of the final 24 pts that started with a 93y TD run and included a 4p 13y drive after something went wrong with a punt. I don't know, I didn't watch.

Cal had a comeback against Idaho! Idaho looked incredible and Cal surely looked like they were on their way to an FCS loss at home. Idaho led 17-0, but Cal scored the next 31!
Campbell was down by 16 2Q at Monmouth but would win by 14.

Another great finish was Western Carolina at Eastern Kentucky. EKU led 11-0 early, but the game would be tied at 14-14 and 21-21. It was 24-21 EKU late 4th Q. And the game looked over when WCU threw an INT at the EK27 with just 3min left. But they could only kill 1min and punted it back with 2min left. WCU at their own 13. Completions of 10, 6, 9, 2, 28, 21, 15 and 8 yards for a TD with just :19 left for the 27-24 lead! But EKU wasn't done. They got some big chunk plays and was down at the WC23, but their FG was missed.

EKU is 0-3! Who do they get next? SEMO who is off a really tough loss to Southern Illinois in their rivalry game.

Who's the hottest team in the FCS and off the most exciting game of the day, Southern Illinois at SEMO - "war for the wheel"!

This one had a great crowd and atmosphere. SIU was road fav at SEMO, but off a collection of FGs, saftety and a TD, SEMO led 15-0 HT. SIU started coming back in the 3Q. A 90y drive, then a 68y TD and it was now 15-13 (a 2pt was no good). SEMO flexed back and stretched the lead to 25-13 early 4Q. SIU went on an epic 13p 76y TD drive where they converted 4th down twice. SEMO punted and SIU was SOD at the SE30 with 3-1/2 minutes left. On 3rd and 4, SIU gang tackled AA and 6th year 4000+ yard RB Geno Hess and as he is struggling to gain yardage, the ball is stripped and SIU takes over at the SE38 with 1:46 left. SIU had to convert a 4th and short and ultimately scored the winning TD with just :07 left. SIU did have a 543-337 (7.2-4.3) TY edge, but were -3 in the TO margin and had a rough night converting 3rd downs, but were 4-of-6 on 4th down. Nic Baker is a stud! 37-51-458-3-2

That should hold you over until Tuesday FCS football fans!

Last edited:
I totally missed that Wofford lost. That's an insane result!

Furman's D just could not come up with a stop in the fourth quarter. I kept expecting them to pull away in the 2h and Kennesaw had all the answers in offense late. Frustrating game (and VERY frustrating quarter) to watch. Similar to seeing GTown's inability to put away Stonehill.

I should have heeded your initial warning about Princeton in your earlier Ivy summary last week. I just couldn't get that Cal Poly win over USD followed by San Jose's dismantling of Poly the following week out of my head. Thoroughly unimpressed with Princeton after that one, although I'll grant them it was their opener with total cross country travel.

My favorite result was after I made a late small add on the over 50 in Brown/Bryant. Your preview write up on that game is what led me to dig in a bit more and pull the trigger. I watched the first 55 mins and actually turned it off with about three mins left after Bryant was stopped on fourth down, trailing by 5 (and me needing two TDs to cash). It wasn't until like two hours later when I noticed there had been 15 pts scored in the last minute to cash it. Nice surprise!

Back