Week 18 Discussion Thread

A couple of ideas being discussed about the Bills/Bengals game I thought were interesting...each of these scenarios see that game not being played at all, so 16 games each for Bills and Bengals. They would use winning percentage which means if KC wins Saturday they would be the 1 seed.

The AFC Championship game gets played at a neutral site, so home field advantage doesn't exist for the AFCC game.

OR

The #1 seed gets the option of getting the bye or home field throughout the AFC playoffs. Whichever the #1 seed doesn't choose goes to the #2 seed. So, in theory, KC would be looking at either taking the bye and playing potential AFCC game on the road, or taking the home field advantage but having to play the first week of the playoffs.

Thoughts?
I like the latter of the options. I assume the HF advantage would only be if the #1/#2 (Chiefs/Bills) teams made it to the conference title game and a team selecting the bye would get home field against everyone else but the #2 seed. If that is the case, I think the bye is the logical choice and then pull for the Bills to be upset.

The getting on the plane thing seemed like a punt of the game

It all depends on why they did it though…it could have been the league telling them to go home and they’ll figure it out from there? We just can’t be sure that decision was on the team…though it very well may have been.

I like the latter of the options. I assume the HF advantage would only be if the #1/#2 (Chiefs/Bills) teams made it to the conference title game and a team selecting the bye would get home field against everyone else but the #2 seed. If that is the case, I think the bye is the logical choice and then pull for the Bills to be upset.

Makes sense.

If the Bills aren’t upset though, you can pretty much forget the SB if you’re KC.

I cant imagine thats the case. I read it as they lose "homefield advantage", which is just the term we use for the best seeded team. Theyre not going to give Kc/Buff a bye and then make them play at the Chargers for the AFC Championship

The NFL isn’t exactly known for it’s “making sense” of things very much though. Lol.

But yeah it seems to make more sense they would re-assume home field if 2 loses.

If/when the NFL ends up canceling the Bills/Bengals game, Baltimore is going to get fucked. Even if they win on Sunday against Cinci, which would see them sweep the season series with the Bengals, they still won't win the division as they will be 11-6 and the Bengals would be 11-5.

Odd these three teams are involved again in some craziness as they are the 3 teams involved in the previously mentioned story with Andy Dalton, then of the Benglas, leading the "miracle" win against the Ravens a few years ago giving the Bills their first playoff birth in 17 years. Baltimore will be getting the short end of the stick twice now...this one completely out of their control, but also only costing them the division and not a playoff berth.

Just thought it was interesting...

On this date in history, 30 years ago today.

That's it, that's the one win in my lifetime.

View attachment 71464
This was after Jacke kicked the FG to get the Cards to the playoffs for the first time in forever. '98 season, moved here in September and adopted these losers, but this was an amazing moment. Not sure any pro goalposts have been injured as much as this one.

Chris Jacke.jpg

#FireWoody!?!
As much as I despise Woody he had nothing to do with Saleh being hired since he was living in England as an ambassador and doing the cocktail circuit while his equally stupid brother was hiring this coach.

Reactions: KJ
As much as I despise Woody he had nothing to do with Saleh being hired since he was living in England as an ambassador and doing the cocktail circuit while his equally stupid brother was hiring this coach.
Giving Johnsons a bad name

Fuck em all

2 games to get to the Super Bowl or 3 games. That's not a tough one. And if the 2 lost along the way, you get homefield anyways. Gotta take the bye. It's not as tough to win on the road anymore, as evidenced by teams not getting the points they used to for homefield
100% the choice is a bye.

Public teams (+60% of bets) in NFL Week 18 at @BetMGM

90% of bets on Giants +14
83% on Bengals -8.5
83% on Vikings -7.5
80% on Rams +6
73% on Cowboys -7
72% on Buccaneers +4
70% on Colts -2.5
70% on Panthers +3.5
68% on Dolphins -2
66% on Chargers +2.5
64% on Raiders +9.5

That right there is a great example of why this organization is hopeless and will remain that way as long as this idiot remains the coach.
What do you want him to do, bash his player? He just said Flacco‘s best asset was his endurance, that‘s a subtle enough non-compliment.

This was after Jacke kicked the FG to get the Cards to the playoffs for the first time in forever. '98 season, moved here in September and adopted these losers, but this was an amazing moment. Not sure any pro goalposts have been injured as much as this one.

View attachment 71465

The goalposts that were cut up on the field and then segments thrown out of the stadium via the top row in Buffalo in 1988 (after the Bills won the division vs. the Jets in OT ending a drought and kicking off their insane 4-6 year run) would beg to differ.

I was there with my dad as a teenager (actually 12, about to turn 13 the next month) at my first Bills game (and first tailgate experience) and couldn’t believe dudes stormed the field…then tore down the goalposts…then got them apart to make smaller sections to carry…then carried a few up to the top of the stadium and threw them over? Holy fuck, that was the best 6-8 hours I’d ever spent with my dad until that point in my life. The tailgating, the incredible game, the win, and then the scene afterwards…just amazing.

That game is where the now famous “fandemonium” term, coined by Darryl Talley in the locker room after the fame and then adopted by Van Miller (looooong time Bills radio play by play guy). The rest, as they say, is history.

I was at that game as a teenager ...Got left at the stadium after storming the field ..Haven't seen these highlights in a very long time..
Thank you!!

You're welcome brother.

I hadn't seen them in a long, long time myself. Just happened to see a pic of Berman when I just searched for the date and it was a video. Amazing.

I want this idiot fired and that has nothing to do with this stupid comment.
He converted the Jets from NFL-wide bottom-feeders into a playoff competitor, without a QB...he isn't going anywhere nor should he. Yes losing streak but look at the opponents. He's beaten all the non-playoff-caliber teams and more.

Me no likey this.

Playing for HFA in 2nd round, right??

Well, I do like it for my Niners but with some Minny MLs in play already, ugh.

Those games should be played at same time

wonder if vikings wouldnt mind a loss though and keep 3rd in conference, sf is favored by 14 so vikes result probably doesnt matter

Having said that, I'd rather play the giants round 1 than rodgers or the lions if im the Vikings

Can 49ers get 1 seed or is it only dallas that can pass philly if eagles lose?

49ers would want HFA imo, more than avoiding packers/lions, so if vikes lose, they sit everyone? Unless they can get top seed, but I havent heard anyone talk about them for it, just dallas

Can 49ers get 1 seed or is it only dallas that can pass philly if eagles lose?

49ers would want HFA imo, more than avoiding packers/lions, so if vikes lose, they sit everyone? Unless they can get top seed, but I havent heard anyone talk about them for it, just dallas

Yes 49ers can get the 1 seed if they win and Philly loses.

Yes, they could sit everyone if the Vikings lose in the AM because they would be assured the 2 seed.

Am I crazy or do a lot of these totals feel really low? The weather isn’t a issue this week anywhere I’m aware of and I think these teams with “nothing to play for” are far more likely to have success on offense than play great d, backups or not:

Am I crazy or do a lot of these totals feel really low? The weather isn’t a issue this week anywhere I’m aware of and I think these teams with “nothing to play for” are far more likely to have success on offense than play great d, backups or not:

Finishing totals from last year, week 18.

Finishing totals from last year, week 18.

Besides 6-7 I’m looking at individually I was thinking bout looking for a salami over as well, this makes me like that even more!

They need a QB and some pass protection. How is that coaches‘ fault?
You can come up with all the excuses you want for this coaching staff but good coaches get the best out of their players and these coaches have failed especially on offense. Just look at the other team in New York who has a QB that wasn't deemed good enough to pick up the option on his rookie contract before the season and has absolutely no players on that side of the ball other than Saquon yet somehow they are in the playoffs.

Daboll and Kafka coached Daniel Jones up to the point he will most likely get a big extension in the offseason when no one thought anything of the guy before the season so there is no excuse for Lafleur getting nothing out of all three of his QBs.

Its probably a sucker bet but how are Skylar Thompson and Flacco going to put up anywhere near 37 points. Looks too good to be true but I have to bet the under.

You can come up with all the excuses you want for this coaching staff but good coaches get the best out of their players and these coaches have failed especially on offense. Just look at the other team in New York who has a QB that wasn't deemed good enough to pick up the option on his rookie contract before the season and has absolutely no players on that side of the ball other than Saquon yet somehow they are in the playoffs.

Daboll and Kafka coached Daniel Jones up to the point he will most likely get a big extension in the offseason when no one thought anything of the guy before the season so there is no excuse for Lafleur getting nothing out of all three of his QBs.
You said before that the Giants were „overvalued“ and that their win rate was „smoke and mirrors,“ but now you praise them. Besides, two more wins with a much easier schedule.

You said before that the Giants were „overvalued“ and that their win rate was „smoke and mirrors,“ but now you praise them. Besides, two more wins with a much easier schedule.
I stand by what I said that the Giants roster is not good and certainly worse than the Jets but Daboll deserves praise for getting that team into the playoffs. If the Jets had a coach like that they would be in the playoffs and not looking to end a 5 game losing streak.

LMAO at any suggestion that Carr or Jimmy G are the answers for that program

They aren't a QB away, they're a winning mentality away and neither of those two has that. They know how to be efficient enough in a watered down league to get paid, neither are winners.

I suppose this isn’t a thing but if I was the bills I’d rest my guys this week and let pats win,, they can’t get the bye, is playing a potential afc championship on a neutral field that huge a deal? I think I’d rather pick my 1st round opponent and they know the pats are the least threatening game as they own them.

I stand by what I said that the Giants roster is not good and certainly worse than the Jets but Daboll deserves praise for getting that team into the playoffs. If the Jets had a coach like that they would be in the playoffs and not looking to end a 5 game losing streak.

No coach coulda made that loser you wanted them to draft work. Now you not happy w your coach? You actually lucked out w him. Fans, lol.

Back