Week 18 Discussion Thread

Results of tonight and tomorrow will be incredibly relevant for next week

I put more weight into the top teams wanting to stay home as opposed to the bottom teams needing to win to get in the tournament

Very top heavy league right now

I saw @2daBank loves Jax to smash Tenny. I admittedly might be too anxious as a fan to be optimistic, but remember Tits were driving down Jax throats before being undone by turnovers. No Tanny. So more incompetent quarterback, but Jax struggles vs mobile QBs. Also Burks is healthy this time and I would think Autry

Has to be Lions/Packers flexed to Sunday Night, right? GB with a win and in and a gutty Lions squad has a lot of story lines.

Sides jumping out at me.

Titans
Steelers
Eagles 1H
Chiefs 1H
Packers TT o

Leans
Bears TT o (motivated to score after bad loss)
Broncos
Z. Moss yards o
Dolphins

So if Seattle wins Detroit is out? So Detroit could have nothing to play for? Detroit/GB Saturday night and Jags/Tits Sunday night would've made more sense.

So if Seattle wins Detroit is out? So Detroit could have nothing to play for? Detroit/GB Saturday night and Jags/Tits Sunday night would've made more sense.
Sunday final round in Maui might get higher ratings than Jags/Tits

I know its taboo to talk about but WTF are they going to do with the schedule now?

Seems like they have to play week 18 games this week, these eliminated teams aren't going to sit around for another bye week. Maybe they give everyone a bye after next week and play Bills/Bengals then? Get rid of the off week between Championship games and Super Bowl?

I know its taboo to talk about but WTF are they going to do with the schedule now?

Seems like they have to play week 18 games this week, these eliminated teams aren't going to sit around for another bye week. Maybe they give everyone a bye after next week and play Bills/Bengals then? Get rid of the off week between Championship games and Super Bowl?
I'd assume they play this week's schedule as planned.

Options for bills Bengals...

Tie
No game, they play 16, go with percentage
Move playoffs back a week as you alluded to
Play Wednesday (tomorrow)

Packers get in , NFL knows their ratings will be through the roof ...Give the networks/streaming services a bone for that $100 Billion they forked over

Jeebus that 3 hour start change really trying to set the table for another midweek game the next week?

I know they're spitballing but that sounds desperate. Why else would they change it?
This BS fake football league is probably trying to find a way to f over the Bengals and Bills .

I saw @2daBank loves Jax to smash Tenny. I admittedly might be too anxious as a fan to be optimistic, but remember Tits were driving down Jax throats before being undone by turnovers. No Tanny. So more incompetent quarterback, but Jax struggles vs mobile QBs. Also Burks is healthy this time and I would think Autry
I really think the Titans are going to win this game. They're getting critical pieces back for this game. I think the stage will be too big for Jacksonville and this is just the kind of spot that the Titans flourish in. I think the +6 or +7 is a crazy good bet and I'm someone who warned people all season that this isn't a good Titans team even when they were doing it with hoax and mirrors.

Falcons moneyline seems like a lock to me as a parlay partner.

I really think the Titans are going to win this game. They're getting critical pieces back for this game. I think the stage will be too big for Jacksonville and this is just the kind of spot that the Titans flourish in. I think the +6 or +7 is a crazy good bet and I'm someone who warned people all season that this isn't a good Titans team even when they were doing it with hoax and mirrors.

Falcons moneyline seems like a lock to me as a parlay partner.
Idk about too big of a stage, Trevor Lawrence has surely seen bigger stages than Josh Dobbs, but i agree with you. Tenny was marching up and down the field in the first game especially with Henry until ridiculous turnovers did them in plus they get Burks and key defenders.

I think a valuable angle is to consider which quarterbacks are playing for future jobs. I think the Saint-Panther game is one in which both quarterbacks will be the most motivated guys on the field as both Darnold and Dalton should be treating this game as an audition.

Panther cornerback is also beleaguered by injury (most critically: Horn on IR). I think this game goes over.

A couple of ideas being discussed about the Bills/Bengals game I thought were interesting...each of these scenarios see that game not being played at all, so 16 games each for Bills and Bengals. They would use winning percentage which means if KC wins Saturday they would be the 1 seed.

The AFC Championship game gets played at a neutral site, so home field advantage doesn't exist for the AFCC game.

OR

The #1 seed gets the option of getting the bye or home field throughout the AFC playoffs. Whichever the #1 seed doesn't choose goes to the #2 seed. So, in theory, KC would be looking at either taking the bye and playing potential AFCC game on the road, or taking the home field advantage but having to play the first week of the playoffs.

Thoughts?

A couple of ideas being discussed about the Bills/Bengals game I thought were interesting...each of these scenarios see that game not being played at all, so 16 games each for Bills and Bengals. They would use winning percentage which means if KC wins Saturday they would be the 1 seed.

The AFC Championship game gets played at a neutral site, so home field advantage doesn't exist for the AFCC game.

OR

The #1 seed gets the option of getting the bye or home field throughout the AFC playoffs. Whichever the #1 seed doesn't choose goes to the #2 seed. So, in theory, KC would be looking at either taking the bye and playing potential AFCC game on the road, or taking the home field advantage but having to play the first week of the playoffs.

Thoughts?
Yeah, some wild stuff out there today.

The other one floated today is adding an 8th team and eliminating the bye??

Good lord. What a mess.

Neutral site sounds awful, although we'll welcome the Bills back to Ford Field lol.

I saw those options and someone is going to get screwed no matter what if this game isnt played (which looks increasingly more and more likely).

There's no right answer here. But taking emotion out completely:

- NFL rules say a suspended game must be played within 48 hours. It was not. Again, not saying they SHOULD have played. But, the BIlls knew the rules, the NFL knew the rules. They couldn't feasibly order Buffalo to get back on the plane PR wise, but the game should have been played Wednesday and NE/Buff and Cin/Balt could have been played this Monday night.

It's def a mess. The armchair QB scenarios on Twitter are bonkers. I suppose neutral field scenario is fairest, but theyll put it at like Indianapolis and completely change how a game would have been in played in Buff/KC/Cincy.

If they somehow did the "choose your own adventure" path, a team would be stupid not to take the bye.

Yeah, some wild stuff out there today.

The other one floated today is adding an 8th team and eliminating the bye??

Good lord. What a mess.

Neutral site sounds awful, although we'll welcome the Bills back to Ford Field lol.

That sounds horrible and easily the worst of the ideas. Adding a team doesn’t seem like it would fly for so many reasons.

I kinda like the option where the #1 chooses the bye or home field. Would have to think the home field would be the choice, but I guess you never know.

I saw those options and someone is going to get screwed no matter what if this game isnt played (which looks increasingly more and more likely).

- NFL rules say a suspended game must be played within 48 hours. It was not. Again, not saying they SHOULD have played. But, the BIlls knew the rules, the NFL knew the rules. They couldn't feasibly order Buffalo to get back on the plane PR wise, but the game should have been played Wednesday and NE/Buff and Cin/Balt could have been played this Monday night.

It's def a mess. The armchair QB scenarios on Twitter are bonkers. I suppose neutral field scenario is fairest, but theyll put it at like Indianapolis and completely change how a game would have been in played in Buff/KC/Cincy.

If they somehow did the "choose your own adventure" path, a team would be stupid not to take the bye.
I agree. They should have played Wednesday. I understand though how tough that would have been for the Buffalo players.

The odd thing from Monday to me was how quickly the Bills got on a plane home (except the players who wanted to stay).

That sounds horrible and easily the worst of the ideas. Adding a team doesn’t seem like it would fly for so many reasons.

I kinda like the option where the #1 chooses the bye or home field. Would have to think the home field would be the choice, but I guess you never know.

2 games to get to the Super Bowl or 3 games. That's not a tough one. And if the 2 lost along the way, you get homefield anyways. Gotta take the bye. It's not as tough to win on the road anymore, as evidenced by teams not getting the points they used to for homefield

Why would they take the bye as opposed to home field?

If home field is that important (which it seems you think based on the comment about potentially IND being the site), I would think players wouldn’t mind playing which keeps them “in rhythm” and they get a home game against the #7 seed.

Why would they take the bye as opposed to home field?

If home field is that important (which it seems you think based on the comment about potentially IND being the site), I would think players wouldn’t mind playing which keeps them “in rhythm” and they get a home game against the #7 seed.

I get what youre saying re: Indy. My point was for the elements of a winter game. All 3 teams have proven they can win in tough environments.

2 games to get to the Super Bowl or 3 games. That's not a tough one. And if the 2 lost along the way, you get homefield anyways. Gotta take the bye. It's not as tough to win on the road anymore, as evidenced by teams not getting the points they used to for homefield

Makes sense. I can see both sides.

I would choose home field and feel confident in my team’s chances to win at home against the 7 seed.

Interesting choice either way.

Are we sure the 1 seed would get home field back if the 2 seed loses? That may change things a bit. I guess I just thought they lost home field altogether for the AFCC game if they chose the bye but that may not be right.

I agree. They should have played Wednesday. I understand though how tough that would have been for the Buffalo players.

The odd thing from Monday to me was how quickly the Bills got on a plane home (except the players who wanted to stay).

The getting on the plane thing seemed like a punt of the game

Are we sure the 1 seed would get home field back if the 2 seed loses? That may change things a bit. I guess I just thought they lost home field altogether for the AFCC game if they chose the bye but that may not be right.

I cant imagine thats the case. I read it as they lose "homefield advantage", which is just the term we use for the best seeded team. Theyre not going to give Kc/Buff a bye and then make them play at the Chargers for the AFC Championship

Back