Week 11 in the books, thoughts and reactions time...

The Michigan State loss was just crazy. And while alot of unlikely things had to happen for Illinois to win...Michigan State sucking is pretty much what was expected. We didn't know how, but one way or the other they would suck. And they did.

Baylor is not a great team. They are a good team though. Is Oklahoma a great team? I don't know. The only reason Texas was close was because of Jaylen Hurts. And the only reason Iowa State almost won that game was because of Jaylen Hurts.

Hurts has immense talent. And I don't really want to hate on him. He has done incredible things and his heroics in the SEC Title game last year are legend worthy.

But you can't almost cost your teams games and win a Heisman.

I guess you can, because RGlll did it. Think 2 of the 3 losses Baylor had that year were directly because of his screw ups. So some people overlook it.

Wish Iowa State had won yesterday so it would've cost OU.

So is Baylor better than Oklahoma? We'll find out this week. Baylor has some close games that shouldn't have been close if they are as good as they want to be.

But the fact is they are 9-0 and they beat the team that OU lost to. OU is 8-1. You know why I don't give two shits about rankings any more. Oklahoma's ranking.

Sic Em

Cole McDonald doesn't need to take another snap for Hawaii again. Chevin Cordeiro is a stud. Kid was QB in HS after Tua. He would be flat out star on any P5 teams.

Rocky long. 3 minutes to go on the nevada 25 or so down 7 on 4th and 6 he kicks the fg. Had his timeouts but amazing. Still down 4 still need a td. They did get the ball back but thankfully didnt score and lost. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded.

Rocky long. 3 minutes to go on the nevada 25 or so down 7 on 4th and 6 he kicks the fg. Had his timeouts but amazing. Still down 4 still need a td. They did get the ball back but thankfully didnt score and lost. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded.
I didn't see it and I'm glad I didn't. The stupidity of these guys sometimes...

People who don't bet ask me all the time about point spreads and margin of victory and how amazing the odds makers get the lines. And my reply is usually "yeah but there are alot of games where the line and scores are way off"

How about yesterday. Arizona State scratches Daniels, the line closed at 5 at scoresandodds, and USC wins by 5.

That is a hard one to get right

I thought the VT player treatment of Bud Foster yesterday was pretty cool. And WF O is good and they shut them down. But I had to check the schedule, thought it was their home finale, it wasn't. Just a little weird they acted like that was his final game or something. Didn't have audio so not sure if I missed something. A little weird when VT beating WF prompts that kind of celebration. But cool for Bud.

Joe Burrow. So calm. So smooth. Coach O winning like this - awesome!

I don't understand how Butch Davis has let this happen to his team. Not just the FAU game, because that has happened before. But they are A W F U L and pretty much have been all year - for no good reason. I'm perplexed.

People thought that App State had nothing to play for now that their New Year's Day game was shot.

We don't know stuff like that. We like to think we know, we don't.

You know what motivated those kids? The same thing that motivates all those teams.

Who from App St was recruited by South Carolina? One guy raised his hand and coaches told him to put his hand down because after he got hurt they backed off him. App St plays with a chip on their shoulder. And when good G5 talent and want to meets average P5 talent that doesn't care as much about the game meet each other - you get an upset like App St - SC. Love it.

Don't look now, I'm not sure it will be duplicated...but Cal had some offense.

I like when I see people rise up and overcome embarrassing and challenging moments in their life to succeed.

Enter Jarrett Guarantano.

In today's society and with the way kids and young people are "these days", how many might've just quit and said fuck this after he was dressed down by his coach in front of the whole country after that audible fumble at Bama? I think alot of people would go in the tank and throw it in. And the relationship couldn't possibly recover for most people because the way egos and stuff is these days.

He's played since the Bama game, so it isn't like he magically came off the bench and just redeemed himself with that being the last time we saw him.

But for Pruitt to give him the keys in the second half on the road vs a decent Kentucky team and for him to respond the way he did and win. Love it.

1. Rocky Long went to the Pat Narduzzi School of Game Management
2. SDSU is still really good on defense but they lack the stud offensive line and special running back this year and Agnew is simply a bad player, has little in skill guys on the outside to throw to, and so teams can load up to stop the run without getting punished.
3. WVU pass defense just isn't gonna win you football games when you play in the Big12
4. ECU has maybe found themselves. Competed nicely, particularly offensively, the last few games against top of the conference level type competition. Look to be an over team right now.
5. Umass opponent team total cashes again. I know someone on this forum advocated just blindly playing those. I should have listened.
6. Washington WR's cannot catch and struggled to even get open vs Oregon State's vaunted secondary. Eason appears to either be predeterming where he is going with the ball or he locks in on his first read. There were quite a few plays where he threw to the wrong guy. He was under pressure a lot. He did throw a lot of amazing passes though to covered guys, but they can't catch. All the tools are there for him but they will have to teach him the mental part a little better. He is getting better training than most college QB's who will make the transition to the NFL as he has to always throw into tight windows because his receivers are awful. Bryant always ends with good numbers but they never show all his drops. He drops it ... a lot.
7. UCF fixed a football game
8. Peters brings some sort of belief mechanism to the Illini. He makes mistakes and bad throws but he has something about him and it permeates through the rest of the team. In the second half of that game, the Illini treated their opponent like a vulnerable college gymnast.
9. BIG ref getting in the way may have cost Iowa a shot in overtime against Wisconsin.
10. I learned you can apparently lose a college football under when 0 TD's are scored in regulation.
11. Tip of the cap to Coach O and LSU. USC got rid of Coach O for Clay Helton.
12. Saban is great at forming a team but his record against actual teams near his level isn't that impressive to me. He seems to get a free pass for it.
13. I felt really bad for the Wyoming kids who were the better team against Boise St last night but were not allowed to win via the officials. On the second half Boise St td drive they missed some of the more blatant holding calls you will ever see and then found a mystery hold on Wyoming. in addition, Boise st fumbled in the red zone (I think) and Wyoming recovered and returned it into boise territory. It was one of those was the ball starting to come loose before the runner hit the ground type things. It looked to me like it was but more importantly it was ruled that he fumbled on the field and they still reversed it. I am not 100% sure it was a fumble but how can you reverse that ? It was awful what they did to Wyoming.
14. South Carolina QB had an interesting game ....
15. Hurricanes may have potentially turned a corner

Baylor reminds me of a better San Diego St. They play up or down to their competition to the extreme. They've looked terrible in recent weeks but no doubt they give the Sooners a game.

Speaking of which, the Sooners stink. Should have lost last night and the defense is still terrible. Also Hurts threw abut 5 picks last night that were dropped. He's still the same guy he was at Bama under pressure, he just hasn't seen any of it vs the joke defenses they've played. If they get in the playoffs they are going to get smoked.

Iowa St has to be one of the best 5-4 teams ever.

Bama is going to get in. UGA will lose to Auburn this week and Oregon/Utah will stumble and then that team will beat the other in the P12 game. Said last week CLEM, OSU, LSU, Bama were the best 4 teams and they are all getting in unless they lose twice.

It's over in Sparty land. I expect Michigan to smell blood and to blow them out this week.

The AAC is much better than the ACC

Outside of the bad teams we already knew were bad (Ark, New Mex St, UConn, UMass, Vandy). I didn't see any quit out there. Maybe Maryland? Anyone watch that one. I mean they suck, so how can you really tell if they've quit?

FIU and UAB are below average teams that got blown out, but in watching those games they were trying, they just aren't good and were greatly inferior to their opponents.

Really outside of what, maybe 10 games that were just mismatches, yesterday was pretty good competition - with certain team's liabilities and deficiencies known.

Like Louisville. Their D has been abysmal, so we knew that was going to be an issue. When your D is that bad, your O better be hitting on all cylinders - it wasn't.

Hell, even UTEP had a shot at winning. Same for South Alabama. ECU is still fighting. GT is getting better.

Good stuff vk.

On the Boise fumble. The ball did come lose, but I thought he did regain control of the lose ball albeit awkwardly before hitting the ground. In the defense of the officials. There was a very similar call with a Wyoming fumble. Boise sacked the QB and the ball came lose, he hit the ground and fumbled and Boise picked it up and ran. They ruled down on the field. Replay upheld it, but it was a fumble.

So Wyoming got a break on the field on their fumble, replay didn't help Boise there.

Boise got a break with replay helping them, vs the on the field call.

A wash.

San Diego State is so shitty. So is UAB. I'm just happy that fraudulent teams get exposed for what they are.
Yeah, clearly the worst Aztec team in a long time. I love Rocky, and I lobve betting on those guys, but this year I can't do it, so the wife gets me in bed two hours earlier than usual for this time of year.

Rocky is a really great coach with tremendous legacy.

But do we remember that bowl game last year vs Ohio? He and his teams are clearly slipping. I mean, they were pretty bad last year - lost to UNLV, Hawaii and Nevada in the same season 2018!

I thought the VT player treatment of Bud Foster yesterday was pretty cool. And WF O is good and they shut them down. But I had to check the schedule, thought it was their home finale, it wasn't. Just a little weird they acted like that was his final game or something. Didn't have audio so not sure if I missed something. A little weird when VT beating WF prompts that kind of celebration. But cool for Bud.
Foster was honored before the game, so that is part of the reason why they carried him off the field after the game. Why they decided to honor him before this game and not the Pitt game (the final home game for Bud), I do not know. Probably requested by Foster.

Random thought of the weekend. Ohio State executed a gorgeous onside kick yesterday against Maryland. Against a team they knew they would beat by 59. And did beat by 59. You use that play when it matters, as in the Final Four. Now when it's irrelevant. It's now on the opponents radar and is pretty much lost for the remainder of the season.

Hard to find much fault with Ryan Day this season. But that was questionable coaching.

Random thought of the weekend. Ohio State executed a gorgeous onside kick yesterday against Maryland. Against a team they knew they would beat by 59. And did beat by 59. You use that play when it matters, as in the Final Four. Now when it's irrelevant. It's now on the opponents radar and is pretty much lost for the remainder of the season.

Hard to find much fault with Ryan Day this season. But that was questionable coaching.

Gus Bus seemed to imply that Locksley was the one who turned in Chase Young to the NCAA. Has anyone else heard this? Forgive me if this has already been discussed in other threads.

Oh and brilliant analyst Ryan Leaf didn't discuss it at all. Wasnt he on drugs breaking into houses or something like that. Set back thr chargers about 5 years i remember.

11. Tip of the cap to Coach O and LSU. USC got rid of Coach O for Clay Helton.

I think Orgeron was replaced by Sark. Which might even be more egregious.

With that said weren't they ready to run Orgeron out of town before Burrow came along? Will be interesting to see how things go once Burrow leaves and if they dont have a stud recruit/transfer portal option.

With that said weren't they ready to run Orgeron out of town before Burrow came along? Will be interesting to see how things go once Burrow leaves and if they dont have a stud recruit/transfer portal option.
True on coach O and great point overall.

Free Agency will help them immensely after all this production.

we shall see.

And I looked it up .. it was Sark the next year.

I really don’t care about USCs coaching change sequence, so I’m going back to week 11 thoughts and what we learned. Patience is not one of my virtues - holding a ticket on the Illini at 14 1/2 , I switched to N Wstrn/ Purdue when score got to 28-3. I missed an exciting comeback and confirmed that Sparty is no where near as good as I thought they were some weeks ago. Lucky to win on Purdue. i took ML so I was in real danger of losing that one but pure luck shined on me when NW missed that field goal.
I watch 2TVS side by side ( no sound ) and found the Minny Penn State game very entertaining. Getting 6 1/2 I was never in real danger of losing. But I breathed a sigh of relief after that end zone interception. Penn State ##87 can play on my team any time. I doubt if Nittany can trouble tOSU but we shall see.
Iowa/ Wisky was predictably dull and I feel fortunate To win on the dog. This made me 4-0 in the B1G, a first in my lifetime.
But just the opposite in big 12 where a couple of winners got away from me. That reversal by officials on the TCU touchdown in OT was just plain bad. I thought instant replay was intended to reverse obvious missed calls. I guess I was wrong.
Finally, I guess I learned I should have played K State ATS instead of ML. Greedy old bastard mr bull.

VK touched on it a little bit, but in the last few years, Alabama has looked completely unprepared against the better teams they have played. The coaching/gameplan mismatch of Aranda vs Sark last Saturday was stunning. Najee Harris touched the ball 3 times in the 1H. Maybe the plan was to have him rested for 2H, but it was clear early on that Burrow and the offense were in the zone and the offense had to get the defense some help. Also in these games, we come out so tight and make so many unforced errors, I don't know if it's something the coaches are doing/not doing, or if the weight of expectations is so heavy the players struggle. I'd understand if they did, our fans get pissed when they only win by 20 points, we are a spoiled group that doesn't deserve what we've had.

Expounding on that, Tua has made critical errors early on in the last 3 big games he's played in: the INT in the EZ agaisnt UGA, the pick 6 against Clemson, and the fumble against LSU. And then the INT late in 2nd quarter against LSU that really came back to haunt them, especially after the dumbass penalty on Dickerson.

It was in no way responsible for the loss, but the officiating in the conference's biggest game was atrocious. Off the top of my head (and this will be more Alabama-centric because you know why): bad spot on Alabama going for it on 4th and 1 - he clearly got to the 48 when he only needed the 49, the catch on the sideline by the LSU TE, the no call on the facemask on Waddle's punt return, no call on the spike by LSU player after scoring TD after the TE catch at the 1, and the non-first down by CEH later on. I know there were others, but those were egregious. Again, doesn't necessarily alter the game's outcome, but they have to be better in a game of that magnitude. If they call that spike and LSU kicks off 15 yards farther back, maybe we don't throw that terrible INT with 20 secs left.

Expounding on that, Tua has made critical errors early on in the last 3 big games he's played in: the INT in the EZ agaisnt UGA, the pick 6 against Clemson, and the fumble against LSU. And then the INT late in 2nd quarter against LSU that really came back to haunt them, especially after the dumbass penalty on Dickerson.
Was the pick-six by Terrell really a mistake? The ball was tipped by Simmons on the blitz.

Was the pick-six by Terrell really a mistake? The ball was tipped by Simmons on the blitz.

It was in the sense that Tua pre-determined the read and the Clemson DB sat on the route instead of following the WR that was supposed to clear the area on a crossing route. Was basically the same play made by the UGA DB in the SECCG

Even with Tua's mistakes, we would have been blown off the field without him and Najee Harris in the 2nd half. You could see how Tua felt physically by the end of the game, and he gave us a chance.

VK touched on it a little bit, but in the last few years, Alabama has looked completely unprepared against the better teams they have played. The coaching/gameplan mismatch of Aranda vs Sark last Saturday was stunning. Najee Harris touched the ball 3 times in the 1H. Maybe the plan was to have him rested for 2H, but it was clear early on that Burrow and the offense were in the zone and the offense had to get the defense some help. Also in these games, we come out so tight and make so many unforced errors, I don't know if it's something the coaches are doing/not doing, or if the weight of expectations is so heavy the players struggle. I'd understand if they did, our fans get pissed when they only win by 20 points, we are a spoiled group that doesn't deserve what we've had.

It was in no way responsible for the loss, but the officiating in the conference's biggest game was atrocious. Off the top of my head (and this will be more Alabama-centric because you know why): bad spot on Alabama going for it on 4th and 1 - he clearly got to the 48 when he only needed the 49, the catch on the sideline by the LSU TE, the no call on the facemask on Waddle's punt return, no call on the spike by LSU player after scoring TD after the TE catch at the 1, and the non-first down by CEH later on. I know there were others, but those were egregious. Again, doesn't necessarily alter the game's outcome, but they have to be better in a game of that magnitude. If they call that spike and LSU kicks off 15 yards farther back, maybe we don't throw that terrible INT with 20 secs left.
Pac 12 refs said hold my beer. Yes, there were some questionable calls in that game though.

The one I didn't understand, or rather really disagreed with was the tiptoe "catch". With an over I was like "wheeee" after they didn't reverse that ... whereas I am usually saying "whew they didn't screw me on that one" when a call goes my way that should.

Played tOSU -50.5... largest fav I've ever taken. Banking on LSU jumping them and Buckeyes being out for blood.
I can see tOSU hanging 49 1H. Average game gets 6 possessions per H. I will bet they score every possession running a vanilla gameplan. If they steal one via turnover, we get the 49. I will be on the Buckeyes 1H, 1qtr with TT overs and 1H over. Hoping the betting public takes the 50 on principle, but not banking on it.

Back