Week 11 in the books, thoughts and reactions time...

5. Umass opponent team total cashes again. I know someone on this forum advocated just blindly playing those. I should have listened.
I won't take full credit for this, as I am sure there have been several advocating this. But, around week 3 I threw it out there calling it a cash cow. It has kept my bad weeks manageable.

NW will be a tough pill to swallow, but NW D is fully capable of shutting UMASS down. If Walt Bell continues to run his hyper speed offense, NW will have 38 by half. TT should hit both 1H and full game. UMASS hasn't shown the ability to stop a running nose.

The one I didn't understand, or rather really disagreed with was the tiptoe "catch". With an over I was like "wheeee" after they didn't reverse that ... whereas I am usually saying "whew they didn't screw me on that one" when a call goes my way that should.

It's one of the situations where it's mind-boggling what's reviewable and what's not reviewable. Also thought it was funny when CBS' rules expert didn't know the rule. CBS' CYA statement after halftime was laughable too. Oh well, so it goes.

The rule is he can be the first to touch the pass if he was out as the result of contact and he establishes himself back in bounds. The first part is where it can be argued, because he did reestablish in bounds and make the catch. Even if you assume it’s illegal touching, the penalty is loss of down at the original spot (no yardage). So worst case for LSU it’s 2nd & 10 at the 17, hardly a game changer.

Bolden’s spot was correct. He had to reach the 48, not the 49, and he was marked beyond the 49 but short of the line to gain. He was given credit on the field for rolling over the defender without his knee touching, that wasn’t what was being reviewed.

Clyde was clearly laying on top of a defender with the ball outstretched to the line needed, that was as clear as day.

I thought the spike was going to be called and assumed the face mask was called and declined somewhere in the craziness of the celebration, but that was a clear miss if not.

The rule is he can be the first to touch the pass if he was out as the result of contact and he establishes himself back in bounds. The first part is where it can be argued, because he did reestablish in bounds and make the catch. Even if you assume it’s illegal touching, the penalty is loss of down at the original spot (no yardage). So worst case for LSU it’s 2nd & 10 at the 17, hardly a game changer.

Bolden’s spot was correct. He had to reach the 48, not the 49, and he was marked beyond the 49 but short of the line to gain. He was given credit on the field for rolling over the defender without his knee touching, that wasn’t what was being reviewed.
I think he made it to the edge of the yellow line plus an inch, but the yellow line is not official, and you are right that he needed the 48.

Clyde was clearly laying on top of a defender with the ball outstretched to the line needed, that was as clear as day.

I thought the spike was going to be called and assumed the face mask was called and declined somewhere in the craziness of the celebration, but that was a clear miss if not.
Kinda agree on all......

Btw, joe Brady being extended. Agree with Mott....wait until yall see Brennan next year. I hope I’m wrong, but Burrow is just the fucking deal.

It wouldn't have changed the fact that they still likely score on the drive, but if they had taken an extra 30 seconds or so, we don't get the ball back with any time for Tua to make that terrible INT. Again, nobody with a brain thinks that LSU wasn't the better team, just saying there were some calls that made no sense.

And not sure if it's crimson glasses, but Bolden's arm landed on the 48 with no view of his arm or leg being down before. I actually thought it was clearer than the CEH one, but I guess that's a matter of perspective from the viewpoint of being a fan

Kinda agree on all......

Btw, joe Brady being extended. Agree with Mott....wait until yall see Brennan next year. I hope I’m wrong, but Burrow is just the fucking deal.

Don't think that extension is going to faze anyone that wants to hire him. My guess is that Ensminger takes a demotion in order to name Brady as OC.

If I can get 52 or more, I like butgers. Chug will be in by 2Q, osu will struggle to get to 60. Just need one TD from ray rice u

Retire likely. I just don’t see him leaving, Brady that is
I've read this a couple of times from you and wonder why you feel that being a coordinator at LSU is so special that nobody would leave. I would think that being a coordinator at Alabama is a better job. Yet, their coordinators leave annually. Outside of Venables, I have never heard a coordinator state that they don't want a promotion. What makes LSU immune to attrition on the coaching staffs?

I've read this a couple of times from you and wonder why you feel that being a coordinator at LSU is so special that nobody would leave. I would think that being a coordinator at Alabama is a better job. Yet, their coordinators leave annually. Outside of Venables, I have never heard a coordinator state that they don't want a promotion. What makes LSU immune to attrition on the coaching staffs?
I know you want him. I know coordinators leave.
What used to make LSU immune from it was futility.

Look.....let someone pay him. I get it. This dude is sooooooo young. Y’all discount Burrow. Or maybe not you, but people.

I just don’t see him leaving yet. I mean, would you like to bet? Book, cmon. I want you to tell me. Where is he going?

Bama does have many leave. What was Bama before Saban? This is an unconventional method what is happening at LSU.....again, MOT no doubt is closer to the program than I am. I can tell from our conversing.
Let him answer. Maybe I’m completely wrong.

Baylor is not a great team. They are a good team though. Is Oklahoma a great team? I don't know. The only reason Texas was close was because of Jaylen Hurts. And the only reason Iowa State almost won that game was because of Jaylen Hurts.

Hurts has immense talent. And I don't really want to hate on him. He has done incredible things and his heroics in the SEC Title game last year are legend worthy.

But you can't almost cost your teams games and win a Heisman.

I guess you can, because RGlll did it. Think 2 of the 3 losses Baylor had that year were directly because of his screw ups. So some people overlook it.

Wish Iowa State had won yesterday so it would've cost OU.

So is Baylor better than Oklahoma? We'll find out this week. Baylor has some close games that shouldn't have been close if they are as good as they want to be.

But the fact is they are 9-0 and they beat the team that OU lost to. OU is 8-1. You know why I don't give two shits about rankings any more. Oklahoma's ranking.

Sic Em

Look.....let someone pay him. I get it. This dude is sooooooo young. Where is he going?
You hit the nail on the head here. He is young and the youth movement is taking over. Fresh minds that don’t think like the old heads of football. I would venture to guess that there will be plenty of openings by year end and he will get calls. Burrow has been outstanding this year, but let’s not pretend that Emsfinger had anything to do with it. If not for Brady, you’d be running the same offense as last year. I am not emerged in LSU, but can be certain that Brady’s coaching has made Joe a ton better than he ever would have been under Emsfinger. Please don’t tell me this is not true. If not, then Brady holds no value.

What was Bama before Saban? Not a Bama fan, but let me give this a shot. Let’s see...without Saban, Bama would still have more NCs than any other team in the NCAA. Before Saban, Bama was still thought of as a gold standard. Even in down years, people realized they were a sleeping giant and just needed that extra edge. In comes Saban and the rest is history.

Let’s talk LSU from an outsiders perspective. They have 3??? NCs. One before Saban, one with Saban and one with Saban’s recruits. I will go out on a limb and say that they were a middle of the pack SEC team prior to Saban’s arrival and have been good since his departure. LSU has had outlier years of both great and bad since Saban took the Bama job. But, let’s not pretend that LSU is on the same shelf as Bama in the NCAA pecking order. It is not a destination job. Only a few are.

I don’t want this to sound like a knock on you or LSU in general, but your fandom sometimes blinds you. If this was tOSU, USCw or even Tex/ND to a certain degree I might think differently. But, it is not. Those schools are truly destination jobs that many would flock to in order to be a part of the legacy, or the one to bring them back to prominence.

Look.....let someone pay him. I get it. This dude is sooooooo young. Y’all discount Burrow. Or maybe not you, but people.

I just don’t see him leaving yet. I mean, would you like to bet? Book, cmon. I want you to tell me. Where is he going?

After watching the game and talking to folks who know the game better than I, it is apparent that Burrow was exceptional. The plan was solid and confused Alabama at times, but there were several plays that could have easily been negatives that he turned into positive plays. Same for the RB. Outstanding games by both. Similar to if we had played without Tua, LSU loses by a decent margin without Burrow.

You hit the nail on the head here. He is young and the youth movement is taking over. Fresh minds that don’t think like the old heads of football. I would venture to guess that there will be plenty of openings by year end and he will get calls. Burrow has been outstanding this year, but let’s not pretend that Emsfinger had anything to do with it. If not for Brady, you’d be running the same offense as last year. I am not emerged in LSU, but can be certain that Brady’s coaching has made Joe a ton better than he ever would have been under Emsfinger. Please don’t tell me this is not true. If not, then Brady holds no value.

What was Bama before Saban? Not a Bama fan, but let me give this a shot. Let’s see...without Saban, Bama would still have more NCs than any other team in the NCAA. Before Saban, Bama was still thought of as a gold standard. Even in down years, people realized they were a sleeping giant and just needed that extra edge. In comes Saban and the rest is history.

Let’s talk LSU from an outsiders perspective. They have 3??? NCs. One before Saban, one with Saban and one with Saban’s recruits. I will go out on a limb and say that they were a middle of the pack SEC team prior to Saban’s arrival and have been good since his departure. LSU has had outlier years of both great and bad since Saban took the Bama job. But, let’s not pretend that LSU is on the same shelf as Bama in the NCAA pecking order. It is not a destination job. Only a few are.

I don’t want this to sound like a knock on you or LSU in general, but your fandom sometimes blinds you. If this was tOSU, USCw or even Tex/ND to a certain degree I might think differently. But, it is not. Those schools are truly destination jobs that many would flock to in order to be a part of the legacy, or the one to bring them back to prominence.
2 things

Kevin Faulk changed it all when he stayed home. Do you realize what the Louisiana Lambo is?

So before 1958, and after....the Natty LSU had. Won. It was the biggest sleeping giant in CFB. FACT. Talent wise, proximities, no in state competition. These are all facts you know. Believe me....I’ll bang in LSU when need be bro. I would hope you know this isn’t homer shit.

Everyone of those jobs you named are bigger. No doubt. But let’s not play like LSU is little brother. Look at recruiting and NFL last 15 years or whatever. Lol.....look at Texas who has all the money in the world. Tamu too.

You are from the South, yes? When Faulk stayed home it changed. I can’t even write enough about that. And Saban coming....100%.

After watching the game and talking to folks who know the game better than I, it is apparent that Burrow was exceptional. The plan was solid and confused Alabama at times, but there were several plays that could have easily been negatives that he turned into positive plays. Same for the RB. Outstanding games by both. Similar to if we had played without Tua, LSU loses by a decent margin without Burrow.
100%

As I said..not a team I wanna see again......like 11

Yes OU's defense has regressed since the 9 sack game against Texas. But Baylor's offense should be good medicine for the ailing Sooner D. Baylor has a very good defense but OU will score against anybody with Lincoln Riley running the offense. I don't see how Baylor can score with them. Should be an easy OU victory. Baylor is ripe. They've had a great run but very lucky against Texas Tech at home 33-30. very fortunate to get a win at home against West Virginia (Ugg) and should have lost in Fort Worth. They are ripe. I also like to take teams that are good and have underperformed recently. It creates value. If the sharps move this line up then it will be another indicator to take the Sooners in this spot. OU is motivated after a couple of ugly games and will roll in Waco.

It wouldn't have changed the fact that they still likely score on the drive, but if they had taken an extra 30 seconds or so, we don't get the ball back with any time for Tua to make that terrible INT. Again, nobody with a brain thinks that LSU wasn't the better team, just saying there were some calls that made no sense.

And not sure if it's crimson glasses, but Bolden's arm landed on the 48 with no view of his arm or leg being down before. I actually thought it was clearer than the CEH one, but I guess that's a matter of perspective from the viewpoint of being a fan
The arm is what made him down. That was what they called, not down before that.

I've read this a couple of times from you and wonder why you feel that being a coordinator at LSU is so special that nobody would leave. I would think that being a coordinator at Alabama is a better job. Yet, their coordinators leave annually. Outside of Venables, I have never heard a coordinator state that they don't want a promotion.
Bud Foster as well, and we could probably come up with others.

2 things

Kevin Faulk changed it all when he stayed home. Do you realize what the Louisiana Lambo is?

So before 1958, and after....the Natty LSU had. Won. It was the biggest sleeping giant in CFB. FACT. Talent wise, proximities, no in state competition. These are all facts you know. Believe me....I’ll bang in LSU when need be bro. I would hope you know this isn’t homer shit.

Everyone of those jobs you named are bigger. No doubt. But let’s not play like LSU is little brother. Look at recruiting and NFL last 15 years or whatever. Lol.....look at Texas who has all the money in the world. Tamu too.

You are from the South, yes? When Faulk stayed home it changed. I can’t even write enough about that. And Saban coming....100%.
I am from the south. Born, raised and never left. So, Faulk staying in LA changed LSU and in state recruiting? To what? Plenty of LA talent leave. Bama yanks a few annually. Hell, even the Miss schools grab a few. When you say Louisiana Lambo, I have no clue what you are referring to. Are we saying that because Kevin Faulk stayed in state, that a coordinator, born and raised in FL, would not leave his position for a promotion and raise? Man, that gumbo is good.

s-k did you have a feeling on the Stanford Colorado game last week. Great call. That game made me look like a fool. I was afraid of side but leaned to Stanford. And I actually had the over. lol What was I missing? You made the right call on that one. Hell of a call. Colorado is one of those teams I'm fading or not playing. Guess I'm missing something there. But I do know how schizophrenic Stanford is. What was I thinking lol. Managed a 15-11 week but also had some real clunkers. But also suffered a couple bad beats. I still can't believe under 48.5 and 9-9 at end of regulation and lose. lol. But yeah I wonder how you called that Colorado game. I love to win those that no one likes. Great call bro. Keep it up. Man and it's nice chatting with you about these games. Let me know what other ones you like this week. I like getting wisdom from good fellows such as yourself. Time for us to go on roll bud.:tongueout2:. Have a great week. Look forward to hearing from you.

Brady has clearly made an impact and I’m sure they’re working on a way to officially hand the keys over to him while letting Ensminger ride off into the sunset. I’m speaking more to the thought that he’s going to get decent offers to be a HC any time soon. Clearly he would take them if they come his way, I’m not arguing he is a career assistant or that he would think he owes LSU enough to turn down those offers. I just don’t think any decent program is going to take such a huge gamble given the lack of a track record and experience. I mean we’re far beyond “he’s only been a coordinator” type inexperience, he’s literally been a full time P5 assistant for 10 months and that’s it.

If LSU continues to produce at a high level for another year or two under his direction, and without Burrow, then it will be a different story.

For years LSU and Texas A&M were always listed as the two prototype under-performing teams in college football. Now both are on solid ground.

Orgeron gets the majority of credit in my opinion with Brady due plenty of praise and Burrow plenty as well. LSU should be a national contender every year and those three have shown what can happen when they get the right people.

I was not surprised to hear that when ESPN asked Burrow how he decided when to slide if he runs it he replied, "I don't slide." He's a tough guy, Coach O is a tough guy and the team is tough. No surprise they have the #1 recruiting class this year. Coach O has everything running at peak performance.

For years LSU and Texas A&M were always listed as the two prototype under-performing teams in college football. Now both are on solid ground.

Orgeron gets the majority of credit in my opinion with Brady due plenty of praise and Burrow plenty as well. LSU should be a national contender every year and those three have shown what can happen when they get the right people.

I was not surprised to hear that when ESPN asked Burrow how he decided when to slide if he runs it he replied, "I don't slide." He's a tough guy, Coach O is a tough guy and the team is tough. No surprise they have the #1 recruiting class this year. Coach O has everything running at peak performance.
Clemson has the number one recruiting class this year.

Last edited:
Has anyone anywhere at anytime said Alabama has an elite defense this season? Hell we've been talking about Alabama overs and opponent TT overs since like week 3

Saban said there were 25 missed tackles against LSU. 25! That is unbelievable. Think Trevon Diggs probably had half of them
Mostly no, I know some held out they would get better...that's about it. It was just an interesting comparison. Oklahoma really didn't seem to start getting gashed till Kst

s-k did you have a feeling on the Stanford Colorado game last week. Great call. That game made me look like a fool. I was afraid of side but leaned to Stanford. And I actually had the over. lol What was I missing? You made the right call on that one. Hell of a call. Colorado is one of those teams I'm fading or not playing. Guess I'm missing something there. But I do know how schizophrenic Stanford is. What was I thinking lol. Managed a 15-11 week but also had some real clunkers. But also suffered a couple bad beats. I still can't believe under 48.5 and 9-9 at end of regulation and lose. lol. But yeah I wonder how you called that Colorado game. I love to win those that no one likes. Great call bro. Keep it up. Man and it's nice chatting with you about these games. Let me know what other ones you like this week. I like getting wisdom from good fellows such as yourself. Time for us to go on roll bud.:tongueout2:. Have a great week. Look forward to hearing from you.

I didn't take anything in that game. I asked you about it in your thread just to see what you might say. I think others were on the over as well.

MW, don't know when you last checked, but LSU has the number one recruiting class and has been #1 for a month or so. There are several teams so close there is no way to really tell who is number one, but going by the criteria the fans and media have accepted for years, LSU is number one.

247 composite has Clemson no. 1. And Rivals has LSU at no. 1 because of quantity, not quality. Clemson has the Rivals no. 1 (Uiagalelei) and 2 (Bresee) and is almost certain to get the Rivals no. 3 (Flowe) and seems to lead for The Rivals no. 4 (Burch) though he is all over the place these days.

Random thought of the weekend. Ohio State executed a gorgeous onside kick yesterday against Maryland. Against a team they knew they would beat by 59. And did beat by 59. You use that play when it matters, as in the Final Four. Now when it's irrelevant. It's now on the opponents radar and is pretty much lost for the remainder of the season.

Hard to find much fault with Ryan Day this season. But that was questionable coaching.

OSU's Special Teams coach was at Maryland last year. Knew they were vulnerable to this. Put it in the game plan for that spot specifically.

Akron's pursuit of an almost impossible record should not go unnoticed.

It's been decades since a college team lost every game SU and ATS,

Akron is 0-9, 0-9. They are sure to lose every game SU, but can they do the impossible and lose the last three ATS as well?

Last edited:
Back