Week 1 (UMich team thoughts, and what to expect from them this year)

HUNT

CTG Partner
Staff member
Hey fellas,

Good to be back, I'm excited to be capping with all of you throughout the year. May all of you have a great year, and remember this is a marathon and not a sprint.

No disrespect intended for anyone who started a Utah/Michigan thread...a lot of great information in there, but for tracking purposes I'm putting my thoughts in here. I hope to give the board some knowledge on UM.

This game is the great unknown, for a lot of obvious reasons...and these are some of my ramblings...I have paraphrased "insider" information from GBW (thanks jumponboard) and other sites and created my own conclusions based on my findings and being fortunate to attend a few practices...hope they help.

1. Who is the QB and playcalling..

Rich Rod wants two qb's that can be effective in his system. So far, it looks like the walk-on Nick Sheridan has won the job...Threet has closed the gap recently, and Justin Feagin will possbily redshirt at this point. Do not be surprised to see Carlos Brown see several snaps for the option read and trick plays. This has been under wraps for quite some time since the first practice where he supposedly took 30 snaps (he is the RB)..they may go to some hog formations ala Arkansas/McFadden with Brown. In the scrimmage last week insiders reported that there were mis-directions, bubble screens, seam passes, belly runs, reverses, hand signals, sprint puts by qb's, direct snaps to RB's, they keep adding more and more each day and it is limitless in the way they use players..no backs, 1 back, 2 backs, several formations with different WR sets---its intense.

2. Offensive Line explanations and injuries

projected starters Zirbel is out for season and Huyge is recovering from high ankle sprain and is week to week. A lot has been said about this system and the complexities of it...but surprisingly the OLine is one of the easiest parts to grasp for what I have gathered. Michigan is hurting on the two-deep, they don't have a lot of bodies and becasue of the injuries they have moved Molk to center and mooseman to guard...this is disconcerning becasue Molk is stuggling snapping the ball..which leads to what...turnovers.

The blocking scheme...

I don't think people realized how difficult UM's old system was. The OL had to implement some version of zone blocking along with asking them to block in a pro passing scheme. That passing scheme frequently asked our OL's to block while our QB took 5 to 7 step drops. I do not know of a team who consistently run a zone blocking scheme who also does not run a majority of their passing game out of the shot-gun. This irritated the shit out of me, plays would take forever to develop becasue of the slow dropbacks of the qb's and they rarely went out of the shotgun.

This system that Rich rod uses is an aggressive (gain ground) on the first step and 1/2 on running plays and a shot-gun quick passing game. The QB's frequently get rid of the ball immediately. They do use a deep passing game, but it is much different because the other parts of our offense is designed to make opposition play with one deep safety..therefore..even when throwing deep, it is basically a read then bam get rid of the ball.

UM's Oline ,even in their zone blocking scheme a year ago, did not emphasize this gaining ground approach from the OL. Overall, although the spread offense has many variations and ways to attack the defense, the OL play is very basic and simple. Does not matter what play is run in most cases, the OL's do the same thing play in and play out. So, it is because of the simplicity of the scheme that makes me believe the production will surprise people....(hopefully).

3. Offensive players that Im stoked about....

Michael Shaw (freshman)...he is FAST and can cut...one of the fastest players I have seen in a uniform....projected slot and RB

Sam McGuffie (freshman)..Fred Jackson (RB coach) says this is the best RB he has ever had at UM..that says it all.

Martavious Odoms (freshman)..has ability to make people miss, rarely gets tackled by first defender according to insiders...projected starting slot.

Carlos Brown and Brandon Minor (juniors)...Expected to be leaders and the dimension both can bring at QB.

Defense, defense

1. Schemes?

Coach Shafer defensive coordinator at UM, will be playing a base 4-3 defense. The defense will have 4 goals.
1. Stop The Run
2. Get to the Qb, then hit him in the mouth (coaches words, not mine)
3. Get to the back Up QB
4. Intercept The Football/Create Turnovers and score if possible.

UM has many adjustments depending on offense's personal in the game, formations, are they lined up into the boundary or to the wide side of field etc. Final rule Coach Shafer gave is was whenever sceondary is in trouble, check to cover 2.

<O:p</O:pI paraphrased the above from a coaches clinic from Schafer.

Can the D defend the spread? I hope so!I have no idea if they can, but I do know this..they are better conditioned and faster than last year.

2. Guys I'm excited to see on D..Brandon Graham..DE..lost 30 pounds-he will be a force

Donovan Warren and Morgan Trent...CB..both fast and will anchor the CB position.

Overall thoughts...

1) kids will play up to their potential
<O:p</O:p2) the kids will develop quickly
<O:p</O:p3) depth will be developed

<O:p</O:pI do not think offensively this team is as talented as teams in the past, but teams won't know how to prepare for them in the beginning. I believe the running game will be much better than people think right out of the gate

I say they win 8 or 9 games...start out fast becasue of a chip on their shoulder and the unknown but Qb play will struggle as schedule gets harder and teams know how to prepare for them.

Betting purposes this week

I would not bet this game against Utah....too many unknowns...WAY TOO MANY.

I wouldn't even bet the under....turnovers can be plenty, offenses could go off..both teams go wide open and take advantage of spacing...too risky for a total.

keep in mind BOTH teams have EXCELLENT special teams..very consistent kickers.

I predict a 30-17 UM victory FWIW..but not touching it.

Good luck this year fellas.

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent write-up Hunt; really love the looks of the Wolverine defense this year. Certainly a top 10 unit on paper in my opinion. You're probably being a little optimistic in your win-total projection..but on the other hand...it certainly wouldn't be a shock; there really are so many unknowns.

Projecting the spread @ND in week 3 seems like such a crap shoot. Only real slam dunks on the schedule are the two MAC schools at home. They'd be less than a TD favorite @ Minnesota so I wouldn't even consider that game a gimmee...at least not to begin the year.

Thanks for the excellent write-up Hunt; really love the looks of the Wolverine defense this year. Certainly a top 10 unit on paper in my opinion. You're probably being a little optimistic in your win-total projection..but on the other hand...it certainly wouldn't be a shock; there really are so many unknowns.

Projecting the spread @ND in week 3 seems like such a crap shoot. Only real slam dunks on the schedule are the two MAC schools at home. They'd be less than a TD favorite @ Minnesota so I wouldn't even consider that game a gimmee...at least not to begin the year.

Thanks horses. Maybe I am being a little optimistic on the win total. I believe vegas set the O/U at 8 for a reason though....but in all honesty no one can really make a prediction on this team until Aug. 31st, if not up until after the ND game....too many unknowns.

VK, I'm back in the swing..got a lighter schedule this fall as far as school goes...thanks for all of you contributions to the forum, it doesn't go unnoticed and it is much appreciated.

Great stuff Hunt. I agree completely about your projected total (the # not necessarily the order ;)) and the reasoning for it. Good luck this year.

great writeup huntdog and thanks... if your really that confident that theyll win at least 8- over 7.5 available @ (+120)... all homerism aside:smiley_acbe:

great writeup huntdog and thanks... if your really that confident that theyll win at least 8- over 7.5 available @ (+120)... all homerism aside:smiley_acbe:

thanks cap2...I don't like to do season total bets just because of injuries, suspensions etc., but that is pretty sexy if your into that sort of thing.

the reason I say that is...Michigan has the athletes to be effective. They have a good to great defense on paper and have playmakers on offense, obviously the big ? mark is QB. If the run game clicks, look out...we saw what happens when rich rod gets a run game going at WVU...BUT you have to have a good qb to do so. Special teams will be a strength as well.

All homerism aside ;)

Nice avatar. Any 1h thoughts?

you sexy beast...

looking over shit this week..TTU for sure..at anything.

WVU and Florida are good options too...along with Texas. Oklahoma if you can get under 24 go for it.

keys to first half picks are pretty simple in the way I do it...

1. EXPLOSIVE offenses

2. Coaches who don't care to run the score up or more importantly want to score on every possession

3. The opposing teams pass D or run D or the level of competition they play..For example TTU should put up minimum 28 in the 1st half in week 1 against a mediocre opponent. Pat White and Noel Devine should run silly on that level of competition as well.

4. The team I play on doesn't necessarily have to have a great defense, I mainly go by the opposing teams ineptitude on offense, which creates shorter fields and more opportunities for the team I bet on.

Great writeup Hunt.

Everything that I have heard/read as well.

Very excited to see what happens coming out the gate.

Shaw/McGuffie(my avatar) are gonna be sumtin fun to watch.

official depth chart , August 25, 2008

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Official depth chart released[/FONT]
");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Official depth chart released "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Official depth chart released"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf?h1=Official+depth+chart+released+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></P>Matt Pargoff
TheWolverine.com Assistant Editor
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; TEXT-ALIGN: left" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(0,0,80)" colSpan=6><BIG>Offense</BIG>
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" rowSpan=24>
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(0,0,80)" colSpan=6><BIG style="COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)">Defense</BIG>
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153)">Pos.
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153); TEXT-ALIGN: center">No.
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153)">Player
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Ht.
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Wt.
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Yr.
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153)">Pos.
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153); TEXT-ALIGN: center">No.
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153)">Player
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Ht.
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Wt.
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Yr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">X
or
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">13
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Greg Mathews
Darryl Stonum
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-3
6-2
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">206
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Jr.
Fr.
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">DE
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">90
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Tim Jamison
Greg Banks
Adam Patterson
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-3
6-4
6-3
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">265
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sr.
So.
Jr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">LT
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">71
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Mark Ortmann
Bryant Nowicki
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-7
6-9
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">287
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Jr.
So.
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">DT
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">97
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Will Johnson
Renaldo Sagesse
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-5
6-4
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">282
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sr.
So.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">LG

</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">62
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Tim McAvoy
Ricky Barnum
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-6
6-2
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">284
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Jr.
Fr.
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">NT
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">67
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Terrance Taylor
Mike Martin
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-0
6-2
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">308
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sr.
Fr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">C
or
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">50
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">David Molk
David Moosman
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-2
6-5
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">284
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Fr.
Jr.
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">DE

</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">55
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Brandon Graham
Ryan Van Bergen
Adam Patterson
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-2
6-6
6-3
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">273
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Jr.
Fr.
Jr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">RG
or
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">60
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">David Mooman
John Ferrara
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-5
6-4
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">286
So.
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">SLB
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">54
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Austin Panter
Kevin Leach
6-1
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">231
Fr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">RT
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">52
79 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Stephen Schilling
Perry Dorrestein </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-5
6-7
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">295
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">So.
So.
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">MLB

</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">45
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Obi Ezeh
John Thompson
6-1
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">248
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">So.
Sr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">TE
or
or
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">5
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Carson Butler
Mike Massey
Kevin Koger
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-5
6-5
6-4
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">244
Sr.
Fr.
</TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">WLB
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">9
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Marell Evans
Jonas Mouton
6-2
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">231
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">So.
So.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Y
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">9
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Martavious Odoms
Toney Clemons
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">5-9
6-3
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">168
200 </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Fr.
So. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">CB
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">14
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Morgan Trent
Troy Woolfolk
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-1
6-0
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">193
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Sr.
So.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Z
or
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">82
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">LaTerryal Savoy
Darryl Stonum
6-2
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">206
Fr.
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">FS
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">3
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Steve Brown
Mike Williams
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-0
5-11
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">209
Fr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">QB
or
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">8
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Nick Sheridan
Steven Threet
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-1
6-6
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">207
Fr.
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">SS
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">27
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Brandon Harrison
Charles Stewart
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">5-9
6-2
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">208
Sr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">FB
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">44
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Mark Moundros
Vince Helmuth
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-1
6-1
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">230
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">So.
So.
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">CB

or
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Donovan Warren
Boubacar Cissoko
Doug Dutch
5-9
5-11
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">185
Fr.
Sr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">SB
or
or
or
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">2
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Sam McGuffie
Michael Shaw
Brandon Minor
Carlos Brown
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">5-11
6-0
6-1
6-0
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">185
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">Fr.
Fr.
Jr.
Jr.
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(0,0,80)" colSpan=6><BIG>Special Teams</BIG>
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(153,153,153)">Pos.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">K
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">84
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">K.C. Lopata
Jason Gingell
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-2
5-9
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">233
Sr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">KO
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">43
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Bryan Wright
K.C. Lopata
6-2
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">220
Sr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">LS
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">59
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Sean Griffin
Tom Pomarico
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-2
6-4
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">240
Fr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">HLD
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">41
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Zoltan Mesko
Nick Sheridan
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-5
6-1
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">234
So.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">P
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">41
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Zoltan Mesko
Bryan Wright
6-1
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">234
So.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">PR
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235)">Donovan Warren
Martavious Odoms
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">6-0
5-9
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(228,231,235); TEXT-ALIGN: center">185
Fr.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">KR
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">27
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248)">Brandon Harrison
Morgan Trent
Martavious Odoms
Michael Shaw
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">5-9
6-1
5-9
6-0
</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(246,246,248); TEXT-ALIGN: center">208
Sr.
Fr.
Fr</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ray..sexy parlays will be in by thursday hopefully..gotta get all the Moneylines in..

Thanks wizard..i love your name.

BAR..we definitely have similar thoughts...great to see, should be a DOOZY.

VK..scary to see so many frosh that might start...nervous and anxious would ddescribe how I feel about that...

bottom line is im ready for a new era of football at UM.

i hope so bro...never been this excited in years for UM...last year my season was done in the first 3 hours of CFB saturday...even if they lose this saturday thank god we have a new brand of football.

Question up jpicks ally,

How did Utah perform against teams that had a quick short passing game of dinks and dunks and teams that really tested their flanks on long stretched out plays making the defense go sideline to sideline as a unit? Michigan is not going to threaten deep at all, it will be Sheridan 3 step drops, 5 yard routes, an offense comprised of using the full width laterally into playmakers hands. Dick Rod will throw in some trickeration bank on that.

I know Navy tested them in the running department for the flow they will need but I don't know if they saw such quick passing.

I honestly think Michigan could do some things on these Sheridan quick reads and be real proficient. The key is the ground game. The question is this OL, that's what we'll be waiting for. What we do know is they can't pass block. But with that said I wouldn't be surprised to see Mich be more of a passing team. Use the pass game as the run game. Michigan easily beats the Utes if they can run the ball.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mich start out 8-0 going to Happy Valley. I see a 3 loss season.

What's the word on McGuffie's size/speed as compared to real college football players? I saw his tapes and he looked super human in them, but watching them I wondered if it was because he was playing against inferior competition.

Question up jpicks ally,

How did Utah perform against teams that had a quick short passing game of dinks and dunks and teams that really tested their flanks on long stretched out plays making the defense go sideline to sideline as a unit? Michigan is not going to threaten deep at all, it will be Sheridan 3 step drops, 5 yard routes, an offense comprised of using the full width laterally into playmakers hands. Dick Rod will throw in some trickeration bank on that.

I know Navy tested them in the running department for the flow they will need but I don't know if they saw such quick passing.

I honestly think Michigan could do some things on these Sheridan quick reads and be real proficient. The key is the ground game. The question is this OL, that's what we'll be waiting for. What we do know is they can't pass block. But with that said I wouldn't be surprised to see Mich be more of a passing team. Use the pass game as the run game. Michigan easily beats the Utes if they can run the ball.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mich start out 8-0 going to Happy Valley. I see a 3 loss season.

good analysis...I know what you mean...

I do think in the first quarter saturday they will throw it deep and run a ton of trick plays...RR is going to attack to the fullest right out of the gate...will it be successful? who the eff knows.

In this offense the primary read is the Free safety for passing and the DE on options, and the qb's job is to get rid of the ball fast in this two minute offense...has to make decisions in a split second.

I'm interested in seeing jpicks thoughts here as well regarding utah against teams that stretch the field laterally...not many do though.

Jgalt...Guff played against excellent competition in Texas for HS football...He is no joke, BUT he was hampered by a high ankle sprain and numerous ailments last year and didn't put up the numbers that he did his junior season...He is still fast in practice, but a little stiff only becasue he has been told to concentrate on not fumbling the ball...I think he will be a little more fluid as he gains experience.

Farm..thanks bro.

Question up jpicks ally,

If I had to say any team stretched the field laterally that Utah played it would be BYU. They use alot of RB screens, and utilize the TE quite a bit in the flats. The MWC in general isn't much of an advanced offensive league. Lots of pound in down your throat offenses in general. Utah and BYU are the only two that really get away from that, although they can both certainly run between the tackles.

If it was anybody other than a Michigan team I'd love as a Utah fan for another team to stretch it out. The DE's and linebackers are as quick as the Utes have ever had. If a MWC team, other than possibly BYU, tried this tactic it'd probably be a big failure. Michigan isn't a MWC team though and it's completely possible that they'll have the athletes that can run around Utah. Utah had the #11 ranked pass defesne last year in the country and returned 7 of their top 8. Definitely the strength of the defense. The weakness is in the middle where their have been question marks all summer about who was going to man the tackle positions.

Btw,

Meant to post this in thread earlier

D. Warren was held outta practice last few days..being called "precautionary"

D Warren would be a hit tomorrow...would put true frosh Booboo Biceps in there I would say, and I'm sure Warren is doing punt or kick returns as well..

Sore hammy is what I read.

I'm having second thoughts about Michigan. I put in my plays and now that's the only one I can't believe I went with.

i will have reason to be mad at myself if Utah wins I mean there is too much unknown.

This Utah team might make the BCS with the new format.

Great write-up Hunt. To be honest with you I really like UM in Week 1. I don't think Whittingham is that good of a coach and I don't see him leading Utah to victory in the Big House. I'm just not sold on Utah this year and I'm thinking UM wins by 10-14. Good luck on your plays

Back