week 1 LVSC opening lines

I posted this earlier but now that we are talking about that OU game I will repost it....I just am not totally sure that Wyoming is a big play here:

Do not really have a strong opinion here but I will throw out some positives about Ohio<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Yes they once again have a new starting quarterback but Theo Scott(this years starter) saw action in 10 games last year. He is a duel threat QB<O:p></O:p>

"Theo had an excellent spring" Solich said "He understands our system and is a good combo runner and thrower. We are able to use him in shotgun formations and as a running threat as well."<O:p></O:p>

He finished second in rushing for the team last year (only 120 though) "He has great escapability," Solich said.
From Blue Ribbon

<O:p</O:pWhile Scott holds the starting edge, a junior college transfer has created quite a buzz among the Bobcats' faithful. Junior Boo Jackson (6-0, 197) comes from El Camino College in California, and say those who have seen him play, could easily push Scott for a starting role in fairly short order.<O:p></O:p>
Jackson helped his cause with a strong spring performance, including completing 16-of-20 passes for 190 yards in the annual Green-White game. Jackson, an honorable mention JUCO All-American, possesses a strong, accurate arm and has quickly picked up Ohio's offensive system.<O:p></O:p>

"He can really fire the ball in with accuracy," Solich said. "A receiver doesn't have to be wide open for him to find his target. He has great anticipation and is an excellent scrambler. He just needs to gain some more experience, but he has the ability to be a really good collegiate quarterback<O:p></O:p>

I think a lot of people are thinking there will be a big dropoff at RB (McCrae gone) but Chris Garrett will be the new RB (from everything I have read). He is a beast and should cause problems for defenses. He is very athletic playmaker that finished 7 in PR yards and 24 in KR yards. He was a WR but supposedly will be their man at RB now.
With McCrae at RB the past 2 years the WR have not shown much. OU is putting out the “we are loaded but McCrae was a good back” message. I am not famililar with any of these guys
Oline was pretty good last year:

"We have a versatile, deep line," Solich said. "We have a good mixture of experience and talent that have worked together for some time. I expect our offensive line to be one of our strengths this season."

DEFENSIVE LINE<O:p></O:p>

In 2007, the Bobcats' defense placed third in the MAC in both tackles for loss and sacks. Conversely, Ohio's front four had difficulty stopping the run, allowing 186.4 yards rushing per game which ranked 91st nationally.<O:p></O:p>
A lot was expected before last season from then-sophomore Ernie Hodge (6-2, 287), who was coming off an impressive 2006 freshman campaign, but off-the-field matters took him away from the team and Hodge took a redshirt in 2007. He's back and moves from end, where he recorded 38 tackles as a freshman, to tackle as the Bobcats believe Hodge is their best option to replace Landon Cohen, who recorded 39.5 tackles for loss in his four year career.<O:p</O:p
The team is also eager to get a look at freshman defensive end Tremayne Scott (6-3, 227), who was an all-state performer out of Trinity Catholic High School in Ocala, Fla. after re-cording 103 tackles in his senior season.<O:p></O:p>
LINEBACKERS<O:p></O:p>

Like the defensive line, the Bobcats will have a combination of experience along with some interchangeable parts at linebacker. "We are looking for players who give us both speed and a physical presence," Solich said

DEFENSIVE BACKS<O:p></O:p>

Ohio's secondary returns three starters from a squad that ranked second in the MAC last season in pass efficiency defense while allowing a fifth-best 221.1 yards passing per game. <O:p></O:p>
The lone starter lost was also the Bobcats' leading tackler from last season, safety Todd Koenig, who piled up 96 tackles. But with experience returning at the safety and corner po-sitions, Ohio's secondary should be a strength.<O:p></O:p>
With Koenig's departure, junior Steven Jackson (6-2, 196) slides into the starting role at free safety. <O:p></O:p>
"He played really well from about the middle of last season and got a lot of playing time for us, so he still gives us some experience at free safety," Solich said.<O:p></O:p>

Blue Ribbon:
The Bobcats will be breaking in new starters at several key positions this season, most notably at running back and quarterback. Their success will depend on how quickly the newcomers can make an impact. Whether converted wideout Chris Garrett is ready to step in and take hold of the starting job, or it will fall to one of the younger

<TABLE id=inlinetable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=180 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" colSpan=2><CENTER>Grading the Ohio Bobcats</CENTER></TH><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #999999" width=110>Unit</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #999999" width=50><CENTER>Grade</CENTER></TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD width=110>Offense </TD><TD width=50><CENTER>B-</CENTER></TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD width=110>Special teams </TD><TD width=50><CENTER>B-</CENTER></TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD width=110>Defense </TD><TD width=50><CENTER>C+</CENTER></TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD width=110>Intangibles </TD><TD width=50><CENTER>B+</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

You're right in the idea that Scott did see alot of action last year. Problem is if he started a few games last year, but never could beat out Bower. So if Bower was the superior QB and he couldn't beat WYO at home then why should I believe Scott can go into Laramie and do any better? He ran for 120 yards last year but averaged only 3.0 ypc. Nothing to write home about there and his 5-3 TD/INT ration leaves alot to be desired as well.

The Bobcats could only muster 37 yards on 33 carries against a WYO defensive front that going into 07 had only 1 career start. WYO brings back all of their front line from last year that only gave up 3.0 ypc on the year.

This game will be won in the trenches and with WYO returning all of their starters (plus depth) on both sides of the ball I've got to give them a huge advantage.

The team is also eager to get a look at freshman defensive end Tremayne Scott (6-3, 227), who was an all-state performer out of Trinity Catholic High School in Ocala, Fla. after re-cording 103 tackles in his senior season.<O:p></O:p>

6-3 227 ? IS this guy bulimic or anorexic ?

Good information on Ohio Yessir
I just think that Ohio is a bit down from last year and wyoming is slightly up. I agree with ETG that the line in relation to last year makes not sense. They gave up 267 rushing yards to wyoming last year and have one of the smallest defensive lines in the country coming into this year at 262 pounds per player. Pretty much get the same ol vs dl matchup and now it is at altitude , away from home. Last year ohio was held to 1.1 yards per carry against wyoming in their own house ( the running backs were actually over 3.5 a carry, there were some sacks. ). That is complete and total control of the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. ohio 7-15-1 as an away dog over the last 5 years and this is a much harder away spot than their average game. Because of the 68 yard td pass in that game , ohio had its only 100 yard receiving day by a receiver all year.

ohio loses their starting qb , their stud rb , their best o-lineman , their best DL ( lions training camp ), their leading tackler and run supporting safety , and have ohio state on deck who you KNOW they are lookign ahead to no matter what coaches and players say.

seems like a tough spot for that to all meld together and be competitive.

Think it was Garfather and Kyle talking about the Wyoming game which made me think on my plane ride this past weekend about a game I didn't look very closely at. I think we have a gem here

Wyoming -10 over Ohio.

Couple things about this game. First the line last year was Wyoming -4 @ Ohio, so move that to a neutral field, you have Wyoming -7, move that to Wyoming (with their elevation) you have Wyoming -11 and that is assuming they are the same teams, which they are not. Ohio will have a huge drop off in offense this year with out McRae who ran for 57yds in that game but for 1500yds on the year with 19tds.

That - at least for me - is why this game should be on everyone's Week 1 card and if you are a person that varies wager size this has to be one of the larger wagers you make on the season-opening slate of games. Between here and covers I have talked about this game ad nauseum from a situational and matchup perspective and thus won't continue to elaborate in this space. Suffice to say, regardless of how you think each team's player personnel and coaching matchup with each other, this line is way off base for what it should be and we will all have to get incredibly lucky to bet this thing beneath 10.

I have become wary of Wyoming in week one. Does everyone think Vegas overlooked Wyoming's homefield advantage that much? Or overpriced Ohio without McRae? Or not taken notice of Wyoming's recent season openers, where they usually blow out lesser opponents?

ETG's reasoning above that you get a -11 line makes sense, but did Vegas expect equal action by setting the line at -9? I just don't know, but with all of the love for the Cowboys, I might lay off of this one.

I have become wary of Wyoming in week one. Does everyone think Vegas overlooked Wyoming's homefield advantage that much? Or overpriced Ohio without McRae? Or not taken notice of Wyoming's recent season openers, where they usually blow out lesser opponents?

ETG's reasoning above that you get a -11 line makes sense, but did Vegas expect equal action by setting the line at -9? I just don't know, but with all of the love for the Cowboys, I might lay off of this one.

:shake:

took awhile but it looks like u started to look at that ;)

Back