• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Week 1 in the FCS

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
I would like to have a weekly FCS thread this year to share information and help eachother learn and play FCS games. This is going to be my focus this season.

We have a couple preseason threads with good information that should be read as well:

Each week for my own benefit and others I will compile some data from the previous week as well as some info for the upcoming week.

I also thought about an FCS weekly pick'em contest. I think I will do it for atleast September because there is no hosting fee until October. So if we have enough participation then we will do it for the entire season. There is no cost to you and unfortunately also no reward if you win. But it's fun! I will have to manually set the lines which I will try and do on Friday each week. I'm still figuring out who releases lines and when. For week 1 it is a little heavy on FCS vs FBS and I only want to put in Saturday games so the good games were somewhat limited. Here is an example of what it would look like (before I add the spreads): Contact me if you are interested.

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 07-54-46 OfficeFootballPool Pool Hosting for Football Golf Basketball...png

fcs Schedule - Week 1

Thursday, August 31
MatchupTime (ET)TV/MobileTickets
North Greenville at Charleston Sou.6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Eastern Illinois at Indiana State6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Shorter at Samford7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
William & Mary at Campbell7:00pmFloSportsBuy Tickets
Sacramento State at Nicholls7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Tusculum at Kennesaw State7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
West Virginia State at Morehead State7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Tennessee Tech at Furman7:00pmNexstar/ESPN+Buy Tickets
Saint Francis U. at Western Michigan7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Rhode Island at Georgia State7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Elon at Wake Forest7:00pmACCNBuy Tickets
Delaware at Stony Brook7:00pmFloSportsBuy Tickets
Valparaiso at Youngstown State7:30pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Western Oregon at South Dakota State8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
UAPB at Tulsa8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Central Washington at Weber State8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Northern Colorado at Abilene Christian8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
South Dakota at Missouri8:00pmSECNBuy Tickets
UWSP at Lindenwood8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
UC Davis at Texas A&M-Commerce8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
North Carolina A&T at UAB8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Idaho at Lamar8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Southern Utah at Arizona State10:00pmP12NBuy Tickets

Friday, September 1

Howard at Eastern Michigan6:30pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Missouri State at Kansas8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets

Saturday, September 2

LIU at Ohio12:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Villanova at Lehigh12:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Edinboro at Duquesne12:00pmNEC Front RowBuy Tickets
Marist at Georgetown12:30pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Dayton at Illinois State1:00pmESPN+/Marquee SNBuy Tickets
Robert Morris at Air Force1:00pmAltitude/MWNBuy Tickets
Western Carolina at Arkansas1:00pmSECN+/ESPN+Buy Tickets
Bowie State at Delaware State1:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
New Hampshire at Stonehill1:00pmNEC Front RowBuy Tickets
Davidson at VMI1:30pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Mercer at 22 Ole Miss2:00pmSECN+/ESPN+Buy Tickets
Virginia State at Norfolk State2:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Northern Iowa at Iowa State2:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Merrimack at Holy Cross2:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
ETSU at Jacksonville State2:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Butler at Montana2:00pmESPN+ / SWX / ABC-FOX MTBuy Tickets
Black Hills State at St. Thomas2:00pmMidco Sports PlusBuy Tickets
Portland State at 15 Oregon3:00pmP12NBuy Tickets
Grambling State vs Hampton (in Harrison, NJ)3:00pmNFLNBuy Tickets
Eastern Kentucky at Cincinnati3:30pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Eastern Washington vs North Dakota State (in Minneapolis, MN)3:30pmESPN+/ABC NDBuy Tickets
Gardner-Webb at Appalachian State3:30pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Tennessee State at 13 Notre Dame3:30pmNBC/PeacockBuy Tickets
Towson at Maryland3:30pmBTNBuy Tickets
Wofford at Pitt3:30pmACCNBuy Tickets
Southeastern La. at Mississippi State4:00pmSECNBuy Tickets
Bryant at UNLV4:00pmSSSEN/MWNBuy Tickets
Central State vs MVSU (in Chicago, IL)4:00pmHBCU GOBuy Tickets
Winston-Salem State at NC Central4:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Drake at North Dakota4:00pmESPN+/Midco SportsBuy Tickets
Colgate at Syracuse4:00pmACCNX/ESPN+Buy Tickets
St. Thomas (FL) at Stetson6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
AIC at CCSU6:00pmNEC Front RowBuy Tickets
Bucknell at James Madison6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Lafayette at Sacred Heart6:00pmNEC Front RowBuy Tickets
Monmouth at Florida Atlantic6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Morgan State at Richmond6:00pmFloSports/NBCS WABuy Tickets
SC State at Charlotte6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
The Citadel at Georgia Southern6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
UT Martin at 1 Georgia6:00pmSECN+/ESPN+Buy Tickets
Wagner at Fordham6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Southern at Alabama State6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
San Diego at Cal Poly6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
UAlbany at Marshall6:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Maine at FIU6:30pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Chattanooga at North Alabama7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Alabama A&M at Vanderbilt7:00pmSECN+/ESPN+Buy Tickets
Austin Peay at Southern Illinois7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Bethune-Cookman at Memphis7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Central Arkansas at Oklahoma State7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Presbyterian at Murray State7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Southeast Missouri at 16 Kansas State7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Stephen F. Austin at Troy7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Alcorn State at Southern Miss7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Arkansas Baptist at HCU7:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Tarleton State at McNeese8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Utah Tech at Montana State8:00pmESPN+/SWXBuy Tickets
Prairie View A&M at Texas Southern8:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Northwestern State at Louisiana8:30pmESPN+Buy Tickets
UIW at UTEP9:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Western Illinois at New Mexico State9:00pmESPN+Buy Tickets
Northern Arizona at Arizona10:00pmP12NBuy Tickets
Idaho State at San Diego State10:30pmCBSSNBuy Tickets

Sunday, September 3

Jackson State vs Florida A&M (in Miami Gardens, FL)3:00pmESPNBuy Tickets

If you are familiar with NC Sports, they have those logs for the FBS. I never saw their FCS one and actually can not find again exactly where I got that one from online, but I had downloaded it upon seeing it.

I did this backwards, briefly on the three games last week ...

Mercer has a lot of internal and external expectations this year. They have never made the playoffs, but are getting close. They were 7-2 before losing to the top 2 teams in the SoCon last year. So this is supposed to be the year they break through. Their offense and defense were ranked 1st and 2nd in the conference last year. Former Coastal Carolina QB Fred Payton was excellent last year, but he and a some OL were gone off this year's team. They returned their starting QB from 2021 however and the defense returned 10 starters off a great unit. So they came out a 21 pt favorite vs North Alabama and it seemed logical that they would roll. North Alabama was a Dll power in the mid 1990s and annual playoff partipants throughout the 2000s. They began their transition from Dll to D1 in 2018 and they completed the process in 2022; a year they went just 1-10 and fired their coaching staff. FAU's 2021 OC along with stops at MTSU and KU OC Brent Dearman was picked to lead the program in their next chapter. Unfortunately for them, ASUN O POY RB ShunDerrick Powell transferred out. Defensively they returned just 5 starters and their DBs returned just 16% of their tackles - which seemed to make for a very bad situation vs one of, if not the best WR duo in the FCS with Mercer's Ty James and Devon Harper. But instead, it was North Alabama's defense that was the most impressive unit on the field. James and Harper only caught a combined 8 passes and Mercer choose to run the ball 53x even though North Alabama was routinely winning at the LOS and having good success vs the run. North Alabama deployed two QBs (last year's ASUN Freshman of Year) Walters and FAU transfer Smith - they were offensively challenged, but their defense was impressive. I don't know if Mercer was conservative on purpose? It was just 10-7 HT with NAla missing a FG after Mercer muffed a punt - yardage at the half was even (151-151). NAla had a FG blocked in the 2H. Mercer fumbled at the NA02 going in. Fumble was forced by S Edwin White-Schultz, a Kansas transfer, who finished the game with 14 tackles! For the game Mercer only outgained them by 37 yards and each team had an identical 4.1 ypp. The Mercer D did it's part, played as expected, but the Mercer O was a big disappointment in play calling and offensive line play. I did bet Mercer as I assume a lot of people did. The line bounced around to a low of 19.5 at one point to a high of 22.5. Mercer plays at Ole Miss this week while North Alabama has their home opener vs Chattanooga.

Fordham traveled to Albany in the middle game. Fordham lost AA and 2x Patriot League O POY Tim DeMorat and was replacing him with CJ Montes formerly of New Mexico. HUGE drop off was expected and that is exactly what happened. Fordham also lost their top two WRs. In Montes' defense, he lacks accuracy and pocket awareness, but Fordham's OL was quite bad and Albany racked up 8 sacks and forced Montes to fumble on one of them setting up a short field. The OL wasn't supposed to be bad as they returned 73% of their starts, but they shuffled the lineup and had a RT playing at LT and he struggled vs the Albany DL. The Fordham D wasn't bad for most of the game, but Albany and their QB Reese Poffenbarger was better. Poffenbarger was the CAA freshman of the Year in 2022 and Albany had a good group of receivers and an improving OL. Poffenbarger sliced up Fordham's defense and showed good allusiveness as well. It was evident that Albany was the better team, but the game wasn't as lopsided start to finish as the final might imply. It was 7-6 after Fordham kicked two FGs from the A12 and A09. After it got to 14-6 the strip sack set up Albany on a short field and it was 21-6 HT Danes. Fordham scored out of the half 21-13, but Albany would own the rest of the 3rd and 4th quarters to win 34-13 with a 399-235 yardage edge (5.7-3.8). This was a satisfying game in that I had identified Albany as a play and I thought could be a dog which I was able to grab their +140 ML early Saturday morning and placed a few different bets on them before they flipped to favorite. Also played an under anticipating these offenses would not come close to what last year's score was (combined 93 pts in that one). Albany travels to Marshall and then on to Hawaii the next two weeks. Fordham returns home to face Wagner.

The Jackson State - South Carolina State game was crazy in that I saw Jackson State as high as 17.5 at one point and I saw it as low as 7.5 at one point! I had no reference on South Carolina State and didn't play and hardly watched any of this game. By all accounts it was as dominating, probably more dominating than the final score. South Carolina State's only points came with :22 left in the game for the 37-7 final. Jackson State outgained them 494-201 and 75 of SC State's yards came on their final drive of the game. Jackson State was unable to finish off a few drives which led to them making 3-of-4 FGs from the 12, 14, 10 and 21 yard lines. In listening to others talk about this game, Jackson State's interior DL sounds very good, but perhaps not as good at edge and their OL allowed some pressure around their edge at times. If there was a statistical weakness for Jackson St is was their 3rd down rate of just 30% leading to those FG attempts in or near the RZ rather than getting more TDs. It was a bad look for South Carolina State - they played two QBs and combined completed just 8-of-23 passes - compared to Jackson State's Jason Brown going 26-30-356-3-0 while RB Mulligan ran for 109 (7.8). In a strange announcement I think, legendary South Carolina HC Buddy Pough announced Thursday before the game that he will retire at the end of the season. He is thought very highly of I hear, but odd timing to make this announcement and I'm not sure, but it is possible it had some negative impact on the team - again I only glanced over at this game occasionally, but they didn't look good and once they got down they looked pretty disinterested. South Carolina State will take on Charlotte this week and Jackson State will face Florida A&M in Miami.

So I don't know what form the recaps for the FCS games will take this season, but that is some of what happened last week.

Last edited:
Thursday I am targeting some of the following teams and some feelings in general on some others:

Eastern Illinois at Indiana State (see ML dog thread post #19 for thoughts E ILL for this one)

I might look at Rhode Island at Georgia State, but I am concerned about the URI D. They have QB Kasim Hill on his 7th year. He's pretty good, but not great.

Not sure I play this game, but William & Mary at Campbell could be a good game. Campbell I hear has been recruiting very well, but that has not translated yet to improved play. W&M was embarrassed at Montana State in the playoffs last year, but they return a very strong team. Campbell will have to rely on a lot of new players on defense, which I suspect would be a bad recipe in game 1 vs a team like W&M. Definitely one to watch.

Another game to watch is Sacramento State at Nicholls. Sac State losses their HC, but they promoted their DC to HC and also retained an offensive coach to take over as OC. They used a two QB system last year and they are both gone. They did bring in South Dakota QB Camp who was pretty good a couple years ago. Their AA RB is gone too. Their HC was the offensive mind who is at Stanford now, so the offense is kind of a question now. People seem pretty split on what kind of potential Sac State has this year. It would seem like a vulnerable spot for them on the road here, but I'm just not sure what all there is to like in Nicholls. This could be a good Under game as the Sac State O should be down from last year and their D will be a strength and if Nicholls has a strength it would be on the defensive side of the ball and if the Sac State O has some trouble out of the gates, then this one could be a surprise upset perhaps.

Furman is real strong and host Tennessee Tech. I expect this line to be high so I don't see myself playing Furman

Delaware looks down. Unfortunately Stony Brook is weak although I have heard some optimism on what they have at QB in a Buffalo transfer Casey Case. Unfortunately he will be behind a new OL and be throwing to new receivers and they have a new OC.

YSU is going to be a heavy favorite vs Valpo. If they line it in the 30s it is probably a play, but I think it could be lined higher than that which would make me nervous. If it goes as the coaches would expect, they will use it to get the 1st line guys warmed up and then get the backups some time as well. So I would be afraid of the backdoor from Valpo if the line is too high. Valpo has new OC and DC. So while YSU isn't going to be playing their offensive starters much beyond the 2nd Q I would think, maybe Valpo will play their guys more because they will want them to get more reps in the new system?

I am targeting Abiline to play vs Northern Colorado. No Colo has a new coaching staff and a lot of new guys on offense. Abiline has some turnover on D themselves but should be in better shape to contain the rebuilding No Colo O and I like the potential of the Abiline O and don't like much about No Colo.

I would lean with UC Davis depending on the line at Texas A&M Commerce.

Idaho is getting lost of love this year and there is a lot to like offensively - they are great! But I worry about their defense front 7. Probably don't need to worry about their defense vs Lamar here though. Idaho could be laying 28, so I don't know if I lay that on the road

Finally on Thursday, Southern Utah at Arizona State is an interesting one. They lost 73-7 last year at Utah week 2 of their new head coach. Now it's year two and they have replaced both the OC and DC already. These two played in 2021 and ASU won 41-14, which I think ASU was better then and I think Southern Utah was worse then. That line was 45. I don't think this line is anywhere near that high because ASU is going to have a low PR compared to Utah last year who was -45 vs the Thunderbirds. If they post something 35 or higher I think I will take a flier on Southern Utah. ASU has new coaching staff and their athletic department made news this week, a self imposed bowl ban which has not gone over well reportedly. They also announced that true freshman Jaden Rashada will start at QB. Which, maybe he's that good? I don't know, they returned a QB with multiple starts from last year in Bourguet, but ND transfer Pyne is hurt I hear. Southern Utah really has a brutal open to the season with 3 straight away games: ASU, BYU and UC Davis could see them open 0-3. If they aren't too beat up I can see myself betting them week 4 when they play Western Illinois in the home opener.

So those are my thoughts for Thursday.

Friday, there isn't much, but I like Howard (see comments in ML dog thread post #35).

Last edited:
Two big offensive line updates. Was looking into the New Hampshire - Stonehill opener. Pretty big game for Stonehill to host this game. Stonehill transitioned from Dll to Dl last year and they have not ever played a team of UNH's caliber. UNH is loaded. On that note however, they were expected to be returning 4 starters to their OL after losing their All-CAA LT, but now suddenly, their RT Dylan Poirer has also left the team making for some uncertainty at their OT spots for this year. On the other side, there must've been some uncertainty if Stonehill was going to return their best OL RT David Satkowski in the preseason previews. Satkowski however has returned for his 5th year and is their best OL, so that gives them 3 starters returning to the OL rather than 2 (Stonehill's Keeper rating of OL starts returning of 80% must include Satkowski, but for UNH with the recent news on Poirer, their OL returning % of 82 would not be inaccurate). This line could be in the low 20s for UNH as a road fav. Again, they are really loaded at the offensive skill spots plus QB and return some excellent performers on D, especially both DEs. Their D has been surprisingly poor however and while UNH is capable of overpowering a team like Stonehill (who isn't bad, just perhaps not ready to face a FCS power like UNH) - a large spread with a bad D. Not sure how I feel about an over not knowing the number, but I might look as Stonehill could be capable on O and based off of the last couple years, UNH's D has been unsteady. UNH should certainly score.

Last edited:
Flurry of activity this afternoon with the Bet Rivers numbers. Really between the legal books Bet Rivers and Draftkings that I use, I never would've guessed that they'd be better options for FCS than the offshores!

Eastern Illinois, various lines ranging from +7.5 to 11.5
Eastern Illinois ML +240 and +350

Rhode Island +17 and +17.5
Rhode Island ML +600
Rhode Island Over 58

YSU -28.5
YSU Game Over 50.5
Parlay YSU -28.5 / O50.5

Nicholls +24.5
Nicholls ML +1400
Nicholls Under 53.5

Abiline -12.5 and -13.5

Will likely take something on Southern Utah as the line has slowly climbed, a 31.5 out there currently.

We are on the same page for the most part as I am still on the fence with URI as that line keeps bouncing around, so curious to see where it settles before game time. I jumped on Youngstown at 27.5 as I had a note to myself to play at anything 34 or less, so purely a variance play, which is pretty much how I determine most of my card. I also took ACU at 13 but it dropped to 12.5 right after (always a humbling experience, especially when it happens twice - took Mizzou at 28, now 25.5).

I am still doing some reading on Nicholls as I want to make sure I am not missing something as I had them noted as a potential live home dog hosting #10 Sac State, so surprised to see that line when it came out. Lastly, I took Furman as I had them noted at 34 or less like Y State, so auto play at home for me. Best of luck tonight man, great stuff in the thread!

Just took Nicholls as I saw 24 126 at BM and 22 115 at BOL so locked it in now as I don't think I will get any better than that BM number

That was the first day of the rest of my life! I have wanted to get more involved with FCS football and have become more and more upset with how FBS is marketed and covered and positioned from the players to the schools to the TV companies and announcers that advertise and deliver their overproduced and overhyped games- but previously, I needed it still even though the product was pushing me away, I couldn't leave. I need college football and I literally need to handicap and bet football as part of who I am. Now that I have a full assortment of resources and outlets for betting FCS .... I feel like I moved from a town where all these out of towners had come in and changed it from the town I grew up in and loved that I had become trapped in to a now, moving to a new town small town that fits me and what I want out of the the games. Good bye FBS, it's been nice knowing you, but I don't need you and don't want you.

That was the first day of the rest of my life! I have wanted to get more involved with FCS football and have become more and more upset with how FBS is marketed and covered and positioned from the players to the schools to the TV companies and announcers that advertise and deliver their overproduced and overhyped games- but previously, I needed it still even though the product was pushing me away, I couldn't leave. I need college football and I literally need to handicap and bet football as part of who I am. Now that I have a full assortment of resources and outlets for betting FCS .... I feel like I moved from a town where all these out of towners had come in and changed it from the town I grew up in and loved that I had become trapped in to a now, moving to a new town small town that fits me and what I want out of the the games. Good bye FBS, it's been nice knowing you, but I don't need you and don't want you.

You smashed that shit bro. Not surprised. Great work!

Definitely a fun night as I will never complain about a 5-1 night, especially one as entertaining as last night was!

This thread was invaluable to my FCS dabbling yesterday. A sincere thanks for sharing this info!

I was away today, but was checking Bet Rivers because the last two game days they had posted FCS lines first. I was crossed! Bet Rivers didn't put up their number until just now I see. About an hour ago best I got was Howard +24.5 and +1400 at DK. BOL and BM don't even post FCS MLs, pussies. Atleast Bovada will do live and halves, but they don't have anything out yet. So just Howard tonight I expect.

I am still going through the Saturday games. Here are some thoughts I have and targets in the earlier part of the day.

Lehigh at home vs Villanova with the expectation that 'Nova will be a low teen DD road favorite. I'm under the impression that Villanova is kind of sliding a bit. They needed TWO blk'd punts in the final 6 minutes and a 4th down TD with 1min left to beat Delaware in the finale last year to get to a 6-5 record and they were really awful ATS as a favorite, just 1-6 or 2-5 depending on the spreads, and they lost twice as a favorite to Monmouth and to Towson. Their D was really bad last year, they return a lot off that D to their back 7, but the DL is fairly inexperienced (only return 20% of DL production). They are playing Lehigh and Lehigh is a team they routinely roll - like 'Nova has won 10 straight, Lehigh's last win was 2006 31-28! A couple games occasionally are close, like in 2016 and 2017. So I'm not really into Villanova as a road fav, and this would seem to typically be a bad matchup for Lehigh. Lehigh does have a new coaching staff that Phil Steele seems to think very highly of (HC former Yale OC, OC former Colgate HC was 3x Patriot COY, DC was a Dlll HC, but also the DC at ODU for 6 years). Their offense has been getting better (avg 6 pts and 90y per game better last year than 2021), their QB enters his 3rd year starting and the O overall brings back 9 starters and seems to be like they should improve yet again this year. The D needs improvement and opposite of Villanova, Lehigh's DL is in good shape (and not that bad) while the secondary and pass D is a concern. This same QB and Villanova O went deep on them a lot last year in the 45-17 win. Strange in that game that Villanova only outgained them 451-408. Lehigh had just 2 TDs on 5 RZ trips and was just 2-of-5 on 4th down. Seems like this maybe could be a fun game. Line could open as high as 17? We'll see.

Georgetown pretty much loses everything on offense, a good 2 year QB, an AA WR (who knew, an All American WR at Georgetown!), bunch of OL - and they still were held 21 or below in 5 games vs the likes of Lehigh, Monmouth, Columbia, Bucknell and of course Holy Cross I can understand. The Hoya D is all there though. Not like Marist scores many pts, they were also held below 20 pts last year to similar teams (including Georgetown last year). Marist returns some D. This would have to be an Under look. Last year combined for 55, DNP 2021 or 2020, then 46, 53 going back to 2018. So will see what number they come up with. Marist returns a little bit of O, if this line were to be high enough, maybe Marist as a road dog upset with the assumption that the Georgetown O is really going to be rough.

For some reason I think I already talked about New Hampshire and Stonehill somewhere? I like New Hampshire, but their D worries me and this is a big moment for Stonehill. Not sure what they can do with it though. I would want to lay it with UNH assuming the line was below 20, but it probably won't be.

I thought I would be liking Illinois State vs Dayton. I can't believe that Illinois State has averaged under 20 ppg the last 4 seasons! I guess that is what you get when Brock Spack is your HC (Joe Tiller's DC for years at Purdue). I was kind of thinking they'd be decent on O this year. Dayton has new coaching staff, Safety coach from UNH is their DC and UNH D has not been good. Illinois State does better scoring out of conference vs teams their own size or lesser. Dayton would appear lesser. A little cautious because you would expect Spack to have very good defenses here, and he does - always very solid. This year though, they only return 44% of their tackles and just 26% to the DL - lost their DL coach, all DL starters and the MVFC D POY from the LB unit. Does it matter vs Dayton? Will have to see where they line and total it.

Still in the Pioneer League, Davidson runs the option and they have led the FCS in rushing 3 of the last 4 years (were #2 the other year) and they made the playoff in 2021 and 2022. What do I know, last year's QB was a WR after they benched one of the guys who is in the mix for the job this year - do they have a guy to run the style they want to run? Maybe a new guy. The only reason I was thinking about this game is Phil Steele is just gushing about the new coaching staff at VMI. Danny Rocco - he's only had two losing seasons in 17 years of head coaching with stops at Delaware, Richmond and Liberty. New DC is Delaware LB last 3 and they retained QB and WR coach to be the OC. If the staff is as good as it sounds, home opener before back-to-back road games seems pretty important out the gate. Getting back to that Delaware LB coach, the Blue Hens knocked off Navy week 1 last year. All summer to prepare to stop an option attack with a DC who knows how to do it? Sounds good.

We have talked about Northern Iowa and Iowa State in one of the other preseason FCS threads. A lot of people are very high on Northern Iowa this year. Everyone loves Theo Day and what he has become in 3 years there. Concerns being they lose a lot off their OL, however they returned their good OL coach who had a lot of success here. They also lose a lot at LB, but should be good everywhere else - and again, they brought back their DC who was on staff in a variety of assistant roles including former DC when they were better. Those are things I like and I like the history of UNI vs the instate schools and I don't really like what ISU has going on - I wish really that the gambling stuff never happened because I would not be fearful of a full strength ISU team in this game. But the situation is all different and the line and ML odds are going to suck assuming they line it given the circumstances. It seems easy to pick against ISU which I don't like. But I do like the UNI team.

I don't think they put out a low line for Jacksonville State vs ETSU. ETSU is rough. They return just 9% of their OL and 40% of tackles on D. I might try to catch Jax State at open.

I've heard this name Grant O'Neil from Long Island at DE, NEC Rookie of Year as a rFr. Kind of want to see him play. Ohio will be big favorites, which hasn't always been their thing (see some discussion in ML dog thread).

I've heard the natives are starting to get restless with Bobby Hauck at Montana. They don't like thinking maybe State is passing them by. Hauck might want to put up a comfy win to get things started out right assuming they can do that. Could be a time to play Butler later, but hard to think this is the spot to do it. If they make the line high enough maybe - like 40+? Last year after beating two Dll teams to open for their new head coach they got blasted by South Dakota St yet hung in the generous 53 pt line (lost 17-45). Anything closer to 28 and would probably have to play the Griz. They return the QB who got beat out by the guy who isn't there this year, probably a big rushing total game out of them.

That covers the earliest games I felt like talking about

Will work through the other games

Last edited:
the talent disparity between montana and butler will be staggaring. like youngstown state/valpo last night... montana -45 or less has to be a max limit bet.

non scholarship pioneer league is just terrible football, fade away as I wrote up during the sumer.

the talent disparity between montana and butler will be staggaring. like youngstown state/valpo last night... montana -45 or less has to be a max limit bet.

non scholarship pioneer league is just terrible football, fade away as I wrote up during the sumer.

Sound reasoning for sure. YSU was not on their A game in that 1H and allowed the Valpo QB to operate and be comfortable. That changed 2H obviously and it was a run away as it should've been.

is there any way we see utep +8.5 at home against a re-tooling UIW squadron?

As I remember we are both suspicious of UIW and generally liked UTEP here. I'm not sure I can guess what the line will be, however last week's results make me think they will be favored and there isn't a lot of shortage of support for UIW from people who follow the sport.

I would take UTEP. I think they were done a disservice by their coaching staff last week, and it wasn't just the final drive. Dimel wants to just run and try and wear out the D and play to what I guess he sees as the team's strength (OL and run game). However, let Hardison make some more plays, he is good enough to do it. And they have some receivers to do it with. Overly conservative gameplan cost them last week, which is ironic because the final two plays were not conservative at all. UTEP offensive players deserved better I think. Now, will Dimel think the same way this week "keep the other team's O on the sideline, burn up clock, shorten the game, wear them out on D". It probably all comes down to Calzada and how he plays and what their new OL gels like. I think there is good chance UTEP wins despite what happened last week.

Jfc. Howard already down to +21 at DK, nice job getting 24.5!! Won’t be starting betting them today! Lol

So it might be worth it to get money In bet rivers? Guess to soon for you to know since it only been a few days but they were 1st out few times?

Holy shit bro, you gonna have me betting these teams! Awesome stuff

I have a lot of friends who like college football, but nobody who likes FCS so I will probably be talking to myself in here a lot. I used to try and play FCS and FBS games this time of year and it was hard because it was just too much to try and know about or keep track of. You're going to be searching for FCS player props!

So it might be worth it to get money In bet rivers? Guess to soon for you to know since it only been a few days but they were 1st out few times?

Well, all I can say is that week zero they were out like 10 hours before the first game of the day with all 3 lines. Yesterday they started coming out around noon. Now today, they posted the Mizzou St and KU line at some point, but did not do the Howard number until later.

Here is what I do - Bet Rivers has good early FCS numbers with Money Lines. DK does not do early numbers but they also do MLs. You know me, I need dog MLs. Then Bovada offers live 1H and plenty of ingame FCS bets. Not always from the first minute after KO, but they have a lot. BOL and BM seem about even as far as being desirable. I had thought that BOL had early FCS lines last year, and they might have. But Bet Rives might've made more of a change do to it earlier this year. Problem with Bet Rivers is if you travel in different states they make you carry a balance in that state, the funds are not the same. So I'm in Ohio, when I go to a different state I need to deposit money in that account. But you withdraw easy so it's not a big deal I guess.

SEMO will be a play tomorrow +35 or more
What is the status of ohio QB rourke? they kept him out against the tecs. they certainly wont trot him out there against LIU post will they? LIU +43?
Tennessee state +56 simply out of principle
memphis -44 or less. bethune is horrific
maine+20??

I have a lot of friends who like college football, but nobody who likes FCS so I will probably be talking to myself in here a lot. I used to try and play FCS and FBS games this time of year and it was hard because it was just too much to try and know about or keep track of. You're going to be searching for FCS player props!

I don’t think you ever go to the mlb forum (the discussion thread is pretty much me talking to myself 80% the time, occasionally I guilt some the guys reading it into a few responses! Lol), anyways we found out my wife has stage 3 cervical cancer in July so I kinda had to stop doing baseball cause it pretty much a full time job between capping it daily and since I prefer betting in Illinios then having to make it over there 1-2x a day; couldn’t really pull that off since at minumum we are at cancer center daily for radiation but we usually have 3 other days a week with other visits or chemo, long story short football easier to handle as don’t require as much my time on daily basis and I needed gambling back!

Any other year I would start getting into this with you but seeing how I’m still catching up with majority of the schools im supposed to know it might be tough. I’ll keep reading and following tho and as the year goes I’m sure I’ll catch on enough to at least keep you company, ask questions, and start contributing something! As much info you giving it won’t take me real long! Are these games on espn+ or any streaming site?

Tennessee state +56 simply out of principle

That is Eddie George’s team taking on Marcus Freeman. Both being from Ohio State … the game just has to play out to a point but I don’t think there will be any attempt to make it more lopsided than it gets. So yeah I’d take that. Heard somebody think Tennessee St could turn a corner this year, not like this would show up here, just saying.

Well, all I can say is that week zero they were out like 10 hours before the first game of the day with all 3 lines. Yesterday they started coming out around noon. Now today, they posted the Mizzou St and KU line at some point, but did not do the Howard number until later.

Here is what I do - Bet Rivers has good early FCS numbers with Money Lines. DK does not do early numbers but they also do MLs. You know me, I need dog MLs. Then Bovada offers live 1H and plenty of ingame FCS bets. Not always from the first minute after KO, but they have a lot. BOL and BM seem about even as far as being desirable. I had thought that BOL had early FCS lines last year, and they might have. But Bet Rives might've made more of a change do to it earlier this year. Problem with Bet Rivers is if you travel in different states they make you carry a balance in that state, the funds are not the same. So I'm in Ohio, when I go to a different state I need to deposit money in that account. But you withdraw easy so it's not a big deal I guess.

Do they generally move as much and quickly as it appears Howard did today? If so that might present a problem for me at the moment cause the wife health and fact I gotta drive across the river to play all the US books since missouri remains a backwards ass state run by retards.

Do they generally move as much and quickly as it appears Howard did today? If so that might present a problem for me at the moment cause the wife health and fact I gotta drive across the river to play all the US books since missouri remains a backwards ass state run by retards.
yes. its a race to be first. so have your numbers written down on a napkin, and fire away if you see what you want to see with the lines.

@2daBank

Man, I’m sorry you are having to deal with the situation with your wife. Cancer is the worst. But some people handle treatments well and get good results. I’m hoping for the best for both of you. Sports can be a nice escape. I dealt with a best friend of mine battling brain cancer this year, the last couple years but this year it got harder. It takes a toll on everyone. So you stay strong and you know friends here will always be supportive.

Almost all the FCS games are on ESPN+ CAA which has 15 members and alot of old NE schools and mid southern schools has their own app with Flo sports. Like ESPN+ the broadcasts and announcers are through the school, not the network. So you get some broadcasts better than others. It’s $19.99 a month. Very expensive. But I like supporting another company than ESPN since they dominate so much.

A third APP for the NEC, NEC On The Run. That is free. NEC is St Francis, Sacred Heart, Merrimack etc. doubt you’ll be watching that.

Podcasts. I’ve learned A TON from a few very good podcasts. My favorites being FCS Checkdown, The BlueBloods and FCS Football Talk. FCS Nation is also a great listen. Those 4 are must listens for me. There are others and most of the rest just aren’t good or even bad. I like listening to stuff so learn from and talk all business. None of the stupid bullshit and jokes. All the guys on those podcasts make the listener smarter.

@2daBank

Duck has it right on the lines and knowing what you want and acting right away, or as soon as you can. But like anything else, I don't always make it about getting the best number or nailing the open. I'll take bad numbers if I like the team. I've had multiple bets the same team at various numbers.

Honestly, I don't always know which way the line will move. I saw Eastern Illinois at +7.5. I knew I wanted them so bet it. Then kept betting it because the number went up. A lot of my bets are kind of 'dollar cost average' like people do in the stock market. If I see a number I think will move against me, I put close to what I ultimately want on it at that time. But a lot of times, I could have like 6 or 10 bets on a team for smaller amounts all at different numbers. Sometimes that works out ok, sometimes it doesn't. I like doing that however rather than putting 100% of my risk at one number which may move and then I'd end up betting it again anyway and end up with more on it than I really want. Not sure if anyone actually calls it dollar cost average in sports wagering.

So in your case, because you have to leave your state to bet, trying to get the good opening number might not really be worth it to you and you end up trying to chase something that is hard for you to do and especially with the circumstances. Just because YSU could be had for 27.5 or sub-30 last night, doesn't mean it still wasn't a good bet at 33. Or take Campbell, the line had to move in order for them to cover, so if you liked them as a home dog, betting that at open would've meant you lost. Betting opening numbers is very new for me. I know plenty of people here have it figured out way better than me. I never even wanted to bet opening numbers. I don't know who the hell I want to bet next week on a line that comes out 24 hours after the last game ended. Now this, opening lines the day of or day before the game, well I find that pretty exciting to be involved with.

@2daBank

Duck has it right on the lines and knowing what you want and acting right away, or as soon as you can. But like anything else, I don't always make it about getting the best number or nailing the open. I'll take bad numbers if I like the team. I've had multiple bets the same team at various numbers.

Honestly, I don't always know which way the line will move. I saw Eastern Illinois at +7.5. I knew I wanted them so bet it. Then kept betting it because the number went up. A lot of my bets are kind of 'dollar cost average' like people do in the stock market. If I see a number I think will move against me, I put close to what I ultimately want on it at that time. But a lot of times, I could have like 6 or 10 bets on a team for smaller amounts all at different numbers. Sometimes that works out ok, sometimes it doesn't. I like doing that however rather than putting 100% of my risk at one number which may move and then I'd end up betting it again anyway and end up with more on it than I really want. Not sure if anyone actually calls it dollar cost average in sports wagering.

So in your case, because you have to leave your state to bet, trying to get the good opening number might not really be worth it to you and you end up trying to chase something that is hard for you to do and especially with the circumstances. Just because YSU could be had for 27.5 or sub-30 last night, doesn't mean it still wasn't a good bet at 33. Or take Campbell, the line had to move in order for them to cover, so if you liked them as a home dog, betting that at open would've meant you lost. Betting opening numbers is very new for me. I know plenty of people here have it figured out way better than me. I never even wanted to bet opening numbers. I don't know who the hell I want to bet next week on a line that comes out 24 hours after the last game ended. Now this, opening lines the day of or day before the game, well I find that pretty exciting to be involved with.
agree'd. so sorry to hear about your wife and the health issues. Godspeed brother.

open an account at heritage or bookmaker, so you dont have to mess with those issues. they pay faithfully.

agree'd. so sorry to hear about your wife and the health issues. Godspeed brother.

open an account at heritage or bookmaker, so you dont have to mess with those issues. they pay faithfully.

Leaving the state for me is just a 5 min drive over the bridge. 10ish if im playing at DK brick and mortar which I like to do as well. I’ve have accounts and have played with pretty much all the offshores at one time or another in my life, It isn’t so much worrying bout the money, even tho I do try to live by the Motto if someone can fuck you and get away with it, when it down to them or you I promise they fucking you! It more so that I manage my money a lot better w cash at casino or even with the US books where I am pretty quick bout getting what I want out opposed to offshore where I am way more prone just to leave it and do something stupid! Know thyself another rule im big on! So I try to stick with what works best for me and not getting separated from my money, lol. Until the wife’s problems it wasn’t a issue.

If I do end up finding time to play fcs and find I need someplace I can grab early lines I’ll load something in BOL or BM. Im
Generally not someone who likes to bet opens, even baseball where I can predict at a pretty high clip which way they will move I prefer to wait. Obviously if these things come off key numbers and move a bunch I’d have to rethink that. Generally not something I worry bout with the fbs schools taking way more money on the games,

I was away today, but was checking Bet Rivers because the last two game days they had posted FCS lines first. I was crossed! Bet Rivers didn't put up their number until just now I see. About an hour ago best I got was Howard +24.5 and +1400 at DK. BOL and BM don't even post FCS MLs, pussies. Atleast Bovada will do live and halves, but they don't have anything out yet. So just Howard tonight I expect.

I am still going through the Saturday games. Here are some thoughts I have and targets in the earlier part of the day.

Lehigh at home vs Villanova with the expectation that 'Nova will be a low teen DD road favorite. I'm under the impression that Villanova is kind of sliding a bit. They needed TWO blk'd punts in the final 6 minutes and a 4th down TD with 1min left to beat Delaware in the finale last year to get to a 6-5 record and they were really awful ATS as a favorite, just 1-6 or 2-5 depending on the spreads, and they lost twice as a favorite to Monmouth and to Towson. Their D was really bad last year, they return a lot off that D to their back 7, but the DL is fairly inexperienced (only return 20% of DL production). They are playing Lehigh and Lehigh is a team they routinely roll - like 'Nova has won 10 straight, Lehigh's last win was 2006 31-28! A couple games occasionally are close, like in 2016 and 2017. So I'm not really into Villanova as a road fav, and this would seem to typically be a bad matchup for Lehigh. Lehigh does have a new coaching staff that Phil Steele seems to think very highly of (HC former Yale OC, OC former Colgate HC was 3x Patriot COY, DC was a Dlll HC, but also the DC at ODU for 6 years). Their offense has been getting better (avg 6 pts and 90y per game better last year than 2021), their QB enters his 3rd year starting and the O overall brings back 9 starters and seems to be like they should improve yet again this year. The D needs improvement and opposite of Villanova, Lehigh's DL is in good shape (and not that bad) while the secondary and pass D is a concern. This same QB and Villanova O went deep on them a lot last year in the 45-17 win. Strange in that game that Villanova only outgained them 451-408. Lehigh had just 2 TDs on 5 RZ trips and was just 2-of-5 on 4th down. Seems like this maybe could be a fun game. Line could open as high as 17? We'll see.

Georgetown pretty much loses everything on offense, a good 2 year QB, an AA WR (who knew, an All American WR at Georgetown!), bunch of OL - and they still were held 21 or below in 5 games vs the likes of Lehigh, Monmouth, Columbia, Bucknell and of course Holy Cross I can understand. The Hoya D is all there though. Not like Marist scores many pts, they were also held below 20 pts last year to similar teams (including Georgetown last year). Marist returns some D. This would have to be an Under look. Last year combined for 55, DNP 2021 or 2020, then 46, 53 going back to 2018. So will see what number they come up with. Marist returns a little bit of O, if this line were to be high enough, maybe Marist as a road dog upset with the assumption that the Georgetown O is really going to be rough.

For some reason I think I already talked about New Hampshire and Stonehill somewhere? I like New Hampshire, but their D worries me and this is a big moment for Stonehill. Not sure what they can do with it though. I would want to lay it with UNH assuming the line was below 20, but it probably won't be.

I thought I would be liking Illinois State vs Dayton. I can't believe that Illinois State has averaged under 20 ppg the last 4 seasons! I guess that is what you get when Brock Spack is your HC (Joe Tiller's DC for years at Purdue). I was kind of thinking they'd be decent on O this year. Dayton has new coaching staff, Safety coach from UNH is their DC and UNH D has not been good. Illinois State does better scoring out of conference vs teams their own size or lesser. Dayton would appear lesser. A little cautious because you would expect Spack to have very good defenses here, and he does - always very solid. This year though, they only return 44% of their tackles and just 26% to the DL - lost their DL coach, all DL starters and the MVFC D POY from the LB unit. Does it matter vs Dayton? Will have to see where they line and total it.

Still in the Pioneer League, Davidson runs the option and they have led the FCS in rushing 3 of the last 4 years (were #2 the other year) and they made the playoff in 2021 and 2022. What do I know, last year's QB was a WR after they benched one of the guys who is in the mix for the job this year - do they have a guy to run the style they want to run? Maybe a new guy. The only reason I was thinking about this game is Phil Steele is just gushing about the new coaching staff at VMI. Danny Rocco - he's only had two losing seasons in 17 years of head coaching with stops at Delaware, Richmond and Liberty. New DC is Delaware LB last 3 and they retained QB and WR coach to be the OC. If the staff is as good as it sounds, home opener before back-to-back road games seems pretty important out the gate. Getting back to that Delaware LB coach, the Blue Hens knocked off Navy week 1 last year. All summer to prepare to stop an option attack with a DC who knows how to do it? Sounds good.

We have talked about Northern Iowa and Iowa State in one of the other preseason FCS threads. A lot of people are very high on Northern Iowa this year. Everyone loves Theo Day and what he has become in 3 years there. Concerns being they lose a lot off their OL, however they returned their good OL coach who had a lot of success here. They also lose a lot at LB, but should be good everywhere else - and again, they brought back their DC who was on staff in a variety of assistant roles including former DC when they were better. Those are things I like and I like the history of UNI vs the instate schools and I don't really like what ISU has going on - I wish really that the gambling stuff never happened because I would not be fearful of a full strength ISU team in this game. But the situation is all different and the line and ML odds are going to suck assuming they line it given the circumstances. It seems easy to pick against ISU which I don't like. But I do like the UNI team.

I don't think they put out a low line for Jacksonville State vs ETSU. ETSU is rough. They return just 9% of their OL and 40% of tackles on D. I might try to catch Jax State at open.

I've heard this name Grant O'Neil from Long Island at DE, NEC Rookie of Year as a rFr. Kind of want to see him play. Ohio will be big favorites, which hasn't always been their thing (see some discussion in ML dog thread).

I've heard the natives are starting to get restless with Bobby Hauck at Montana. They don't like thinking maybe State is passing them by. Hauck might want to put up a comfy win to get things started out right assuming they can do that. Could be a time to play Butler later, but hard to think this is the spot to do it. If they make the line high enough maybe - like 40+? Last year after beating two Dll teams to open for their new head coach they got blasted by South Dakota St yet hung in the generous 53 pt line (lost 17-45). Anything closer to 28 and would probably have to play the Griz. They return the QB who got beat out by the guy who isn't there this year, probably a big rushing total game out of them.

That covers the earliest games I felt like talking about

Will work through the other games
FYI
The UNI o-line coach Clanton is no at Iowa State. First year.

@2daBank

Did someone mention opening lines???

Yeah, it's funny because that is 100% my thing as I will have all my Week 2 plays locked in before Sunday dinner if the lines come out that afternoon, but I always tell folks that there is no one size fits all, as the opening line game isn't for everyone, and you need to find what works best for you as in the end that's all that matters.

I have to admit yesterday was fun on many different levels from catching and tracking the opens to actually settling in last night and watching those games play out. It is ironic in some ways that my only loss last night was Missouri, as they were the only team that couldn't finish the deal in the second half, while all the FCS schools imposed their will as the game went on for the most part. Anyway, love the thread, and just know that I will be in here commenting as much as possible, but gotta be smart with the new marriage and all, as we are only 2 months in! Keep it rollin' man!

FYI
The UNI o-line coach Clanton is no at Iowa State. First year.
That is an interested tidbit. I saw UNI brought their old guy back (who has excellent track record of development) but the old UNI guy at ISU certainly gives them an edge on that. Curious, was Clanton let go or he left in his own?

Yeah, it's funny because that is 100% my thing as I will have all my Week 2 plays locked in before Sunday dinner if the lines come out that afternoon, but I always tell folks that there is no one size fits all, as the opening line game isn't for everyone, and you need to find what works best for you as in the end that's all that matters.

I have to admit yesterday was fun on many different levels from catching and tracking the opens to actually settling in last night and watching those games play out. It is ironic in some ways that my only loss last night was Missouri, as they were the only team that couldn't finish the deal in the second half, while all the FCS schools imposed their will as the game went on for the most part. Anyway, love the thread, and just know that I will be in here commenting as much as possible, but gotta be smart with the new marriage and all, as we are only 2 months in! Keep it rollin' man!
I took ASU live at -21.5, thought they were golden when they scored with 2 seconds left in the half to go up 21-7 then bam, 3 hour rain delay to steal all momentum. Ultimately got lucky to hang on but if those storms don't move in I'm pretty sure they'd win by 30+

That is an interested tidbit. I saw UNI brought their old guy back (who has excellent track record of development) but the old UNI guy at ISU certainly gives them an edge on that. Curious, was Clanton let go or he left in his own?
He left to come to Iowa State. The track of Clanton at UNI and the guys he has developed and put into the NFL is impressive. It was a big get for Campbell IMO.

I marvel at you and few others I know who fire right away at so many opens. My win percentage would go to shit doing what you giuys do!!

I marvel at you and few others I know who fire right away at so many opens. My win percentage would go to shit doing what you giuys do!!
I appreciate that man. I’m straight up old school in that I have a notebook where I have all my target lines jotted down before games are posted, that way I can fire away without overthinking it.

Already have my fcs ready to pounce tomorrow, just hoping lines come out before I have to go run errands as that is usually my downfall.

Best of luck this weekend my man!

I appreciate that man. I’m straight up old school in that I have a notebook where I have all my target lines jotted down before games are posted, that way I can fire away without overthinking it.

Already have my fcs ready to pounce tomorrow, just hoping lines come out before I have to go run errands as that is usually my downfall.

Best of luck this weekend my man!

Im a notebook and pen guy myself. I just have a process to capping that doesn’t start till after lines out, not that I’m waiting for line I’m just way to much a procrastinator to actually be ready to bet games that a week away! Lol.

He left to come to Iowa State. The track of Clanton at UNI and the guys he has developed and put into the NFL is impressive. It was a big get for Campbell IMO.

Thank you. So I don't know this stuff, that is what the internet is for - that sounds like a significant loss. I was thinking this guy Rick Nelson was a good re-hire for UNI based on his prior time there, according to their website "During his first go-around with the Panthers from 2000 through 2015, Nelson coached 22 FCS All-Americans and 29 All-Conference selections." But he's been coaching gym class and high school football since then, so maybe his impact back at UNI won't be felt immediately - as in like tomorrow!

Good to know. I always welcome more info and clarifications.

Back