Wednesday 03/13/13 NBA discussion thread

[h=2]JAZZ AT THUNDER, 8 P.M. ET[/h] March 13, 2013 · 7:03PM
TV: ESPN

• Utah guard Jamaal Tinsley did not make the trip to Oklahoma City because of an illness. Forward Paul Millsap missed Monday’s win over Detroit and has missed four of the last seven games with a bruised quad and knee soreness but he will play tonight. Al Jefferson is battling through a sprained ankle but he will also be in the starting lineup, “It’s sore but it’s pain I can deal with,” Jefferson said, “I feel like at this time of year and what we’re fighting for if I can go, I’ll go.” The Jazz come into tonight’s game a half game behind the Lakers for the last playoff spot in the Western Conference.
  • A couple of Thunder players, guards Russell Westbrook and Thabo Sefolosha continue to be bothered by nagging injuries too but will start tonight. Westbrook sprained his ankle last week but has continued to play. Westbrook has played in 376 consecutive NBA games. He’s never missed a game because of injury going all the way back through high school. Sefolosha’s plantar fasciitis that forced him to miss games last season has flared up again but he has continued to play as well. At this point Thunder head coach Scott Brooks says he’s not planning to limit either player’s minutes.
  • The Thunder are coming off a loss Monday to the Spurs but they’ve still won eight of their last 10 games and OKC is 28-4 at home (20-1 vs. Western Conference foes). The Jazz are coming off a win Monday but they’ve lost seven of their last nine overall and eight of their last nine on the road.
  • The Thunder have blocked more shots than their opponents in 16 straight games, no other team has a streak longer than six.

[h=2]SUNS AT ROCKETS, 8 P.M. ET[/h] March 13, 2013 · 7:14PM
TV: League Pass

• The Rockets’ starting center will be available when Houston begins a season-high seven-game homestand Wednesday against the Suns. Omer Asik suffered a mild groin strain during Tuesday’s practice, but the 7-footer participated in the pre-game shootaround and will be on the court with his teammates when they attempt to avenge Saturday’s 107-105 loss in Phoenix. “Last time we played them, they beat us up on the boards,” McHale said. “We threw them the ball like it was going out of style. We didn’t have great energy, and we need to have a good performance tonight.”

• It is unofficially “Reunion Night” at Toyota Center as former Rockets Luis Scola and Goran Dragic will play in Houston for the first time since the pair parted ways with the club last offseason. Forward Marcus Morris, whom Houston shipped to the Suns last month for a second-round draft pick, will also be back in familiar territory. As a former player, Phoenix coach Lindsey Hunter knows first-hand how matchups against old coaches and teammates can spice up the typical regular-season contest. “Emotions will be a little high for guys that played here, and that’s just part of it,” Hunter said. “You just try to keep them focused on playing the game and not getting caught up in all the other stuff. You play so many games, these [matchups with former teams] are kind of special for you.”

• The Suns’ Jermaine O’Neal returned to Phoenix on Monday and will play for the first time since March 1 after taking a leave of absence to be with his 13-year-old daughter as she underwent successful heart surgery.

• Chandler Parsons’ aim from long range has been deadly over the last eight games. The second-year forward has knocked down 59.3 percent (32-for-54) of his 3-point attempts during this stretch, which includes five outings with at least five makes from behind the arc.
Matt Miller

Horford will be game MVP in a winning effort.

Pacers have no chance at covering the points I laid. Wolves and Adelman just too good offensively to crap the bed like the Craptors, Pistons, etc. would in this situation.

I mean they could, but wtf was I thinking. Rather fade terrible teams/coaches/organizations... Wolves aren't the worst with Adelman at the helm with all their good pgs.

I'm Mr. Overreaction.

But when a game starts 10-0 and then is tied and your laying 3 nfl scores... uh oh.

the fatigue is gonna set in starting the 2h and the pacers are gonna come out and play stifling defense to lead by 12 going into the 4th lol

the fatigue is gonna set in starting the 2h and the pacers are gonna come out and play stifling defense to lead by 12 going into the 4th lol

You would think they can't keep shooting 55%. Also, it would be similar to what happened to GSW on the back end of a b2b 2 weeks ago in Indiana.

books are cleaning up past week... if you solely bet against the public %s and didnt do any capping whatsoever youd be up a lot in nba

5 game series Bucks would have a shot at knocking off Miami.

No shot in 7, but they match up well vs. them. Could be a 6 game series for Miami.

LOL I am not saying they are afraid I am saying the Bucks could make it a longer series than expected. They are better than the 76ers teams which have pushed them in some series and match up MUCH better than those 76ers teams.

the heat are A LOT better than last two years though, the teams depth is insane... they are just fooling around right now while the rest of the league goes thru the grind

Says the guy who said Lebron would never win one.

I agree Heat are almost unstoppable in East.

Until next year when... he, will, rise.

i think the celtics could cause some issues for the heat though because of their veteran leadership and their tremendous perimeter defense

if brook lopez got his head out of his ass and got some robin in him, the nets would have a shot... and im serious

i think dwill got in better shape or something, maybe the cortisone shots or something... he is every bit worth his contract over the past couple weeks

i think dwill got in better shape or something, maybe the cortisone shots or something... he is every bit worth his contract over the past couple weeks

A couple of weeks doesn't make up for month after month of his horrible play. His #s have declined pretty steadily the past few years...he's past his prime.

lol ok

have you actually watched the guy play?

I have. I agree with most people I have heard talk about him (write about him) in the past few months. He's horrible, his contract is an absolute joke, and he's past his prime. You keep holding on to these past few weeks though.

bottom line is right now he's one of the best point guards in the league... and its all about staying healthy for the playoffs, who gives a shit about the regular season anyway, especially in the east

I have. I agree with most people I have heard talk about him (write about him) in the past few months. He's horrible, his contract is an absolute joke, and he's past his prime. You keep holding on to these past few weeks though.

i never said otherwise

but you can learn to read though

Deron Williams numbers:

2008 - 18.8 PPG, 10.5 APG, 51% FG, 40% 3pt, 20.8 PER

2011 - 20.1 PPG, 10.3 APG, 44% FG, 33% 3pt, 21.2 PER

2013 - 17.4 PPG, 7.5 APG, 42% FG, 37% 3pt, 18.1 PER

He signed a $100 million dollar contract. If he's worth that money, LeBron should be making $70MM+ per year.

i never said otherwise

but you can learn to read though

You didn't?

I must have misunderstood what you meant by "he's worth every bit of his contract" and "he's one of the best PGs in the league." My bad.

lol ok

have you actually watched the guy play?

Also, this was your response to me saying that a couple of weeks doesn't make up for his month after month of horrible play, that his play was on the decline and he was past his prime.

Did I misinterpret this response as well? I figured "lol ok" meant that you disagreed with me...when you asked me if I actually watched him play, I was convinced that you disagreed with me.

most contracts are bad contracts, what the fuck is your fucking point? its the nature of the business, players are paid on past performance, because well thats the only way you can judge how much to pay a player... personally i dont give a shit how much nba players are paid because there is no hard salary cap... the russian can afford and is willing to spend money

i never said it was not a bad contract.. i said that he is playing like a 100 million dollar player over the past couple weeks... had no mention of his entire contract

his talent is still there, its not a fluke and if you think it is not i think you're just blind

most contracts are bad contracts, what the fuck is your fucking point? its the nature of the business, players are paid on past performance, because well thats the only way you can judge how much to pay a player... personally i dont give a shit how much nba players are paid because there is no hard salary cap... the russian can afford and is willing to spend money

i never said it was not a bad contract.. i said that he is playing like a 100 million dollar player over the past couple weeks... had no mention of his entire contract

his talent is still there, its not a fluke and if you think it is not i think you're just blind

My point was that he's past his prime. Wait, so now you don't agree? Didn't you just say "I never said otherwise?"

I guess I'm confused.

Back