Wed NBA

SportsNut

Breaking it down briefly
Well the nite started out with Dallas and Pho mauling there Eastern Conference foes. Not really to my suprise since it seemed like the prevailing wisdom was the lines were to big. Unfortunately I told myself fuck it and rolled big plays with them. The next mistake was backing NO. I know they have played well but any time you have a bad team as a small road dog be cautious. Think back a few nites ago when NO was like 6 pt dogs in Atlanta cant say there is much difference bewteen those two bottomfeeders. Unfortunately Denver is for real which I know but thought maybe Seattle could beat them ...they did in 3 of the 4 quarters it was the one losing on ethat proved to much. Although they lead 106-103 with 3 to play...Nuggs rolled 10 straight points. Allen had a mini-meltdown with some turnovers resulting ion Den buckets. Any way I nailed my best best in Seattle over and actually made some coin with 2nd Halves!! So maybe I have righted the ship cause the majority of my opinions were correct tonite.

HUGE WED card....

> Pistons @ Charlotte : Well BAR beat me to the punch here. I absolutely agree that after two embarassing defeats to Charlotte the Pistons are in revenge mode. They showed me alot blowing out Sacramento from the opening tip. Billups return is huge and I still think Webber's signing at the end of the day will be a big plus. For all the shit he takes I can see him dishing off to Rip and Chauncey much more then the Black Hole Rasheed Wallace. You go over to Covers.com and read how Saunders is quoted as saying Webber probably hsould have 9 more assists already and the team will like his dishing ability. Now that makes me feel wise since I said it before the article. The Bobcats should really miss Sean May(Questionable, hasnt played in bout a week) and Primo Brezec here. Not sure of Wallace's situation think Redbearde said he sat out Tuesday pratice.

Looking at somewhere bewteen a 3 to 5 unit play on the Pistons @ -6.5 . Little suprised the total went to 186.5 but I still lean to the under. Might be a small play later on

> Philly @ Cleveland : Tend to like the Sixers here w/o much research. Just dont like Cavs as big favs and like Philly as big dogs. I think Cheeks has found something starting his bigs together Hunter and Dalembert. At the end of the day Phillys Defense is still unimpressive and with a long run of overs in the series I look for that to continue since I feel Philly is competitive here IMO. Willie Green's status is unknown .

Like I said in Killa's thread Phillys defense has been poor of late going back to the West Coast trip that started in GSW. All there opponents have scored I believe 97 + in the road games. Cleveland after a bad performance should be focused. Previously the Cavs trio of LeBron , Gooden and Zydrunas have given Philly fits. Philly has moved Hunter in the starting lineup with Dalembert now. A move I like. Both teams are allowing 40% from three pt recently on a highvolume of shots. As big chalk at home -8 or better Cavs are just 3-6 ATS. A concern would be FT shooting as Cavs are again struggling at the line. With Leron now part of the problem down to 70% on the season. Two 6 for 13 performances last 5 but he also had 12/14 & 13/15 games in that span.

At the end of the day I expect this to be competitive but wuz suprised we saw the game go to -11 and the total dip to 187. I find it hard to believe Cavs cant crack 100 here. The Cavs trio avgs 60 pts against Cle but I think that is higher in recent meetings. My worst case for this is 96-85 which puts us on 181...I respect Killa obvioulsy but its hard to not like an over here. I had the total @ 190.5 .

> Miami @ Indiana: Gonna wait on Wade and Tinsleys status expect a PK here. If Wade is OUT hoping Indy is only -3 or so which makes them very attractive. Thinking healthy Wade equals 193 total and 191 w/o him.

Well Wade's status is uncertain as is Shaq's. It sounds as if Wade could play. I just dont know if they priced him into the spread or not. I had expected -3 w/o Wade so I think they priced him as OUT. I could be wrong though. Miami struggles in Indiana and if Wade is OUT I do really like Indiana here. With a slight lean towards the under.

At the end I need to know who is playing for Miami but like Indiana. have to think that Miami will be overvalued in a sense thanks to the NYL beatdown.

> NO @ Tor : Looks like Ford is doubtful and would expect another 8 pt spread here. Say 190.5 total...

Okay I expect Ford to miss based on how the have described his injury but this is my GUESS. I actually like the points here. Calderon stepped up and played well in his absence. I just think pyschologically teams get up that 1st game when starts are out. The Hornets lost in Philly last nite and are back to back. I think they are a better team then what Charlotte has to offer , a much better team.

Going to play New Orleans here probably for 3 units @ +8.5. Really not sure about the total its very tight IMO. For NO to cover slight Over lean cause worst case I would have 191 , 192 pts in that situation. Well thats not true I could see 187,188...here as well...

> Atl @ Boston: Boston is OFF the board but really shouldnt be IMO ....expect Boston -2.5 w/o Wally World (-3.5 with) and 185.5 total . I do like the Celts here in the rematch...

The total at 184 looks low but its fairly tight. I do like Boston and Wally should help think Boston is around 95/96 pts where Atl is 87/88. Hate to lay -4 here but Boston is desperate for a win and ATL is just not a team I want to back on the road.

Just looking at the Celtics here and it will be a play. Size is the issue..

> Suns @ NYK: Another OFF game with Suns @ NYK. Looks like Marybury wont go so expecting -8.5 / 218. Part of me didnt like the defensive effort by NYK in Miami but I think this game plays Under.....so hoping for a ridiculous total...

Well my guesstimate was right. Well call me crazy but I am thinking about NYK and the Under despite Marburys absence . The Suns havent been great as road chalk and the Wiz game had alot of motivation for them. The backend is of no concern . Its more they shot 60% and 57% past two. They also had just 2 games above 108 pts away since that game @ Boston . NYK wants to run like PHO does which scares me. I just think NY is capable of good defense and that might be emphasized afte the Heat game. I alsothink NY is up for this game as well. What I do like is PHO trouble in NY with just 1 win past 5 trips. That one win was the great starting 5 of the Suns that included Joe Johnson and Q with the 3 current stud holdevers Nash , Marion and Amare! One thing is Crawford has played well , very well against PHO where marbury onlt had one huge game vs them. The NYK team was bad Ariza , Kurt Thomas and Mohammed (Sweetney) was the frontline.

You have to like Quentin playing his old team and he is playing like the player we expected him to be. Curry is a beast and if Crawford plays to prior meetings this could get interesting. Crawford has 40 and 29 past 2 home games with 21 in PHO earlier. I think I will playing NYK and possibly the Under....

Later slate
> Rockets @ Spurs : I am a little weary here. Spurs have revenge after being embarrassed on there home court. Hou is not playing poorly but still has dropped 3 straight. Not a good spot for Houston here...

Bottomline is Spurs have revenge for an embarrassing home loss here. They had won 7 straight in the series. I dont trust SA much after they fucked me versus LAL but Houston has dropped 3 straight. Withhow Hous has been playing on both ends of the ball it would be suprising for me to see an Under. The Rockets worst case get 80 here and really thats closer to 85. They have allowed 100 + 4 straight . Hard to believe we dont se Spurs cracking 95.

> Memphis @ Utah: Memphis is untouchable on the road at the moment. Utah seems to be getting its act together ....wont say I lean Under but I do only cause I cant see memphis competing...115-101...

Well I dont see how one could entertain Memphis on the road. The Jazz are playing real well and I might go for a 1st half play. While the under looks attractive it again simle boils down to the comeptiveness of the game. If Mem covered it certainly goes Over but as said thats a tough sell. I dont see how Utah doesnt crack 115. So really worst case is about 212 points...figure 114-98...

Thinking Utah 1st half or -12 not sure. However I am starting to like the over here in Utah. Especially if it creeps lower. Utah has scored 105,106,110 past 3 at home. Utah is putting teams on the FT line at an alarming rate!! Miami shot 45 and they shot 54!! Only 130 shots that game and 229 pts!!!Thats beyond insane. Memphis gets to the line alot and put opponents there alot....this will be the secondary key to the game...1st half over..??

> Minny @ Portland :have to ride Minny with a new coach and it seems like the players like Wittman. The total seems awfully low with Minnhy defensive effort lately

Not crazy about Wolves as road chalk but last trip to Portland ended with a buzzer beating loss. I think the total is way low but with a new coach defense could emphasised ..certainly could see 93-87 game. Previously 8 straight unders in the series including 5 in Portland.

Looking at small play on the Wolves with a new coach. Probably stay away from the total.

> Bucks @ Kings: Not sure Sac is playing good enough to lay 10 pt sto anyone even Milw. I think this one plays under though as Kings offense has been lacking ....

Bogut got into foul trouble early and they cant afford to lose him. Really hard to get involved. I cant see laying 10 with Kings as they have struggled on offense. Which while its like they score 99 or better here still make sthe under attractive...101-90?

> NJN @ GSW:tend to lean towards GS in the late one. I really like the new look Warriors and while 6 seems high they were just 5 to Sacramento so it makes sense in that manner. Kristic really played well in the last meeting and can Moore duplicate his play? You get Harrington and Jackson fresh off the but kicking they just took in NJ which lead to the deal IMO....Kidd and Carter didnt play well in the Sac game and the will wear down as NJ becomes overdependent on them... Earlier NJ trailed nearly every minute of the first 3 quarters but managed to win the fourth by 14! Tend to lean Under 206....

The wrench in my plans here is Baron Davis being gametime decision. They dont have much at PG really. Ellis and Jaskevicius(spelling?).

I think NJ will struggle to score and lean Under especially with better defensive players in GSW now. However hoping Davis plays but think regrdless I will roll with GSW..just not sire how big..

Good Luck . We will take it up tmrw...

Last edited:
lean under in Utah as well..I say 113-98...may play still

Glad to see an outsider agree's on my assessment of Number84 to the DET offense.

I'll check back later for more thoughts...lets kill this Wed card

Ind will be very interesting.

I'm sure gsw will be bet ndown to 5.0 or even 4.5 with till tip off. And this will be my top play for the night

I agree I would be very suprised if Baron Davis didnt play but I guess since he is a game-time decision we wont be deciding till gametime.

Good Luck Duy. I have to agree looks like we will see NJ action.

One of the parts of handicapping I enjoy is guessing lines. So looking at my late nite estimates I did well:

Tor -8/-8.5 190.5 we had -9 / 190.5
Ind -3 /191(wade out) we had -3/192
Boston -2.5 or -3.5 with Wally 185.5 we had -4 /185
Suns -8.5 218.5 we had -9 /218.5

Sadly that puts a smile on my face. At least I know I am on the right track.

good writeups SN, GL tonight. :shake: I'm loving Indiana after the trade and with Tinsley and Wade questionable I'm liking the home team. Writeup in my thread. Cheers man

Nut, I'm all ears on this under in the Garden. Someone definitely agrees with you, cuz the line has dropped a point vs. what I'm sure is a bunch of public money on the over. But I can't see this game as anything else than a 116-105 affair. Similar maybe to when Charlotte came to town a week or so ago, and the road team won like 125-110. Unders are very tough when you have a road chalk who's a running team. Knicks of course with very little perimiter defense, Phoenix should drain 3s all night. Thoughts?

Tonite's thoughts :(vig -110 unless noted)

Pistons -6.5 {4units}
Sixers +11.5 {2units} ML +600+ {1/8unit}
Pacers (Lean)
Hornets +8.5 {3units} ML +325 + {1/4unit}
Celtics -4 {2units}
Knicks +9.5 {3units} ML +345 {1/4unit}

Late Games:
Utah -11.5 {2units}
Spurs -8 {3units}
Kings/Bucks (No Lean)
Wolves (Lean)
Warriors (Strong Lean)

Totals :
Under 218 Suns {3units}

Basically thats all at the moment my leans remain the same but THIS is my outline so far. For my total thoughts simply reread the 1st window....

Killa said:
Nut, I'm all ears on this under in the Garden. Someone definitely agrees with you, cuz the line has dropped a point vs. what I'm sure is a bunch of public money on the over. But I can't see this game as anything else than a 116-105 affair. Similar maybe to when Charlotte came to town a week or so ago, and the road team won like 125-110. Unders are very tough when you have a road chalk who's a running team. Knicks of course with very little perimiter defense, Phoenix should drain 3s all night. Thoughts?

I think we have alot of ways to look at this game or I have looked it alot ways.

First is last 11 away the Suns are 8-3 Under and that might be 8-2-1 depending on where yesterday closed. The others were in Memphis self explatanory and Det 108-101 . In those 11 games they have only scored 108 or better four times. So I think the Suns are creating a mirage somewhat offensively cause most of the road games end up bewteen 99 to 105 points. In 9 of those games Suns allowed 101 or less (wash and memphis). Look back recently Hous 100 , Tor 100 , Chi 97 and Dal 99...and so on. Another misperception is the Suns defense. Its not a given they will allow 100 pts and it seems the low 100's are the max.

When I look at totals I try and figure out what type of game we we will see and what type score.

Now the NYK defensively can be all over the place. I think a good sign was they recently played in Wash and allowed only 99 points. However a bad sign is the Charlotte game. Most teams tend to be around 100 pts versus NYK since the fight. I am looking at the Knicks as a new team since then. I think only Det had more then 100 in regulation.

So while the NYK defense is a concern basically I have a hard time seeing worst case the Suns top 110 pts. The NYK have allowed some teams ungodly pcts from three point land but not as bad since the fight. Last 5 games team are 28.7% on nearly 22 attempts per. Also after the Miami game I think a better effort will be provided. having Lee getting more time and Q healthy greatly improve our defense.

One silly situational thing I have seen is Suns after getting a big over total which has hit 3 times the next game played UNDER. I mean the 228 or higher totals. Teams off consecutive 55+ % FG games tend to stumble game 3 . Last 4 Suns backends have gone UNDER as well.

Then we have the possibilty of how this game plays out. I feel 2 things happen NYK plays well and keeps close throughout which cant happen IMO at 115 up. The other is they get smoked which would set the 2nd H under nicely again likein Wash last nite.

I think NY covers tonite and my guess is we see 107-101 .

Does that help any?

SportsNut said:
> NO @ Tor
Going to play New Orleans here probably for 3 units @ +8.5. Really not sure about the total its very tight IMO. For NO to cover slight Over lean cause worst case I would have 191 , 192 pts in that situation. Well thats not true I could see 187,188...here as well...

> NJN @ GSW:
I think NJ will struggle to score and lean Under especially with better defensive players in GSW now. However hoping Davis plays but think regrdless I will roll with GSW..just not sire how big..

Like always I really enjoy your writeups, but I am going to have to disagree on these 2 plays.

NO/TOR

While I agree that NO presents a bigger challenge than an injured Charlotte team, I still think the Raps will cover the number. Let me first start off by saying that Ford's absence does not deter me at all. Calderon is an excellent distributor of the ball and plays respectable D. He also has good to great scoring ability. Devin Brown will not be facing the soft D of Andre Miller, Calderon will make him make tough shots. He won't be dropping 24 tonight. Second, NO has not been at their best on 0 days rest (2-7 SU, 3-6-0 ATS) and they have been postively awful where its opponent is also on 0 days rest (0-3-0 SU, 0-3-0 ATS). Third, while NO made a game out of the PHI matchup last night, each starter played over 30 minutes (Mason played 29:16 but you get my point) while key starters for the Raps (Bosh, Garbo, Rasho) played under 30 minutes due to an easy win over the Cats. I know you don't believe in the fatigue factor, but this is a team that has required its starters to play a lot of minutes this season and given the team's poor record ATS on 0 days rest, there may be some degree of validity to my fatigue argument. Fourth, sure any team can win on any given night, but if you cannot win against a Sixers team that is bad where ever it plays, you are going to have a difficult time against a Raptor team that is surging and plays extremely well at home. Due to these factors, I expect the Hornets to either hang around at first and then get wittled down in the 2H or get completely dominated in the 1H. We will just have to see I guess.

NJ/GS:

Here's the deal, while Jackson/Harrington are in theory a defensive upgrade, I think they have fallen already into the Don Nelson trap of "play offense now, play defense later" approach. The only problem is is that "later" never seems to come for GS. I watched the game they played against the Lakers the other night and here is what I concluded: GS thrives in the first half for the most part because they can generally get into an offensive groove quite quickly. But, here is the problem: if their opponent can keep the game relatively close, say 10-12 points at the half, the game is for the taking for the opponent. Take for example the 4th quarter against the Lakers - the Lakers were able to make a comeback because all the Lakers needed to do was take the ball to the basket and play D at the other end. Don Nelson's defensive schemes are weak as hell - and with players like Kidd and Carter who are able to drive well to the basket, GS will have its hands full. GS also isn't a very good rebounding team -- when they start to fall in love with the jumpshot in the 2H they cannot get those second chance points and then end up allowing their opponent second chance points.

So, combine the above mentioned factors and the fact that NJ doesn't fold when playing from behind and you get the feeling that taking the points may be a good idea. But hey, NJ can come out completely flat and GS could blow them right out of the gym. You just never know.

My apologies for the novel

Last edited:
Sure does, good points all around. GL and it should be an entertaining game, I'll be tuning in.

SportsNut said:
Tonite's thoughts :(vig -110 unless noted)

Pistons -6.5 {4units}
Sixers +11.5 {2units} ML +600+ {1/8unit}
Pacers -3 {2units}
Hornets +8.5 {3units} ML +325 + {1/4unit}
Celtics -4 {3units}
Knicks +9.5 {3units} ML +345 {1/4unit}

Late Games:
Utah -11.5 {2units}
Spurs -8 {3units}
Kings/Bucks (No Lean)
Wolves (Lean)
Warriors (Strong Lean)

Totals :
Under 218 Suns {3units}

Basically thats all at the moment my leans remain the same but THIS is my outline so far. For my total thoughts simply reread the 1st window....

Stayed away from the majority of my early leans but still looking at the Boston total

Actually Affinity I enjoyed the novel. Having troubles with my connection at the moment and real short on time have another bball game @ 8.

I dont disagree with much. I will say that I cant look to much at NO trends cause they have been healthy for less then 10 games . Even getting Jackson and West back is a significant upgrade. Calderon is very solid but him starting hurts the bench. I also dont really expect much from Devin Brown.

The difference with the Philly game is something some people dont take into account and that role. NO was a small road dog meaning they must win to cover thats the only real option when backing them. So while Philly is a mystery they did just beat Miami at home. They shouldnt be as bad as advertised. Here I just think its an upgrade in talent but I cant say NO can play alot better as a team. The difference in metality bewteen 8.5 dog and 3 pt dog is huge here....all I need is for NO to compete. The 2nd H zone stiffled Charlotte but the Bobcats dont have any shooters where as NO has some guys...

Good stuff and BOL...I'll chat about the GS game when I get back...

2nd H Best Bet:

O110 Memphis @ Utah {5units}

How competitive Memphis is seems to be the key to deciphering there totals...

Lick my wounds from that Crawford layup with 1 second left after Nash missed 2 FTs!!

Warriors -4.5 {5units}
Under 206 {4units}

>NJ has lost 9 straight on the West Coast and scored 88 points in those losses....

2nd H:

Wolves -1.5 {2units}
Over 91 Portland {3units}
Under 99 Milw {2units}

> My biggest fear in Portland was a slow start by Minny or fast start by Portland. So tied at the half is comfortable...I'll take KG with the ball late. Had liked the Over 184 but feared a sluggish 1st Q or 1st H...

> I complained and moaned about not respecting the number it calmed down after after the 1st Q...

BeLIEve811 said:
Careful...Minny shooting 60% and they can't even post a lead at halftime. Surely, that % will drop.

Wolves have sucker bet written all over it but I couldnt resist. Numerically speaking Minny was shooting high but it was all Ricky Davis going 7 for 7. No one else was doing much. So I dont think he continues but the rest team could get much more involved

2nd H :

GSW -4.5 {2units}

> The game started with NJ hitting jumper after jumper. It had nothing to do with poor GSW defense IMO. Everything that left NJ hand went SWISH! Then GS really steped up the D and Vince went to the bench with 3 fouls. GSW battled back from 14 down to go up 1 before NJ got hot late.

I simlply dont buy into NJ. Kidd hitting jumpers how long will that last ? Carter with 3 fouls how long will he last? I just think this is the exact opposite of the last GSW games where they started fast and faded. Tonite started slow and turned up. We saw how NJ finished in Sac...

Early games :

Pistons -6.5 {4units} +4.00
Sixers +11.5 {2units} +2.00 ML +600 {1/8unit} +0.75
Pacers -3 {2units} -2.20
Hornets +8.5 {3units} +3.00 ML +325 + {1/4unit}-0.25
Celtics -4 {3units} -3.30
Knicks +9.5 {3units} ML +345 {1/4unit} +2.75

The Early review:
>First glad I hoped on Det and stayed away from the total cause I couldnt understand why it was going up.
>Had Philly pegged but I was a pussy. Now way Cle should be 11. Also could have had the over but pussed out! Killa had a great point about an ugly quarter which is why I waited but didnt play it big enough 2nd H .
> I played Indy last second but shouldnt have with Wade playing. I said fair with Wade was Pk not 3! I should listen to me more often and the total was to high at 195 should have went Under...
> NO had the side right but not the total
> I hate bad INFORMATION. Wally didnt play which made 4.5 probably double what it should have been!
> had the NYK pretty accurate. Suns did have a big run but NY answered. To bad I got ass raped on the total. I think I will say I got Justin'ed or Killa'ed! 51 points in a 10 pt game that never got closer then 7 really in 7+minutes! Thats 7 fucking points a minute thats almost imposssible !

Late Games:
Utah -11.5 {2units} -2.20
Spurs -8 {3units} -3.30
Kings/Bucks (No Lean)
Wolves -2 (2units)
Warriors -4.5 {5units}

Totals :
Under 218 Suns {3units} -3.30 My ass bleeds!
Under 199.5 Kings {3units} -3.30
Over 219.5 Utah {2units} Win +2.00
Under 206 GSW {4units}

Comments:
> I cant bitch about Utah cause Memphis is more then capable. I havent understand how they could be so bad on the road. Utah was playing well. Looking at what Memphis was getting @ Denver and so on it didnt look that big. However Utah continues it struggles as home chalk...
> Spurs? You just have to stay away or fade them...

2nd Half (2units unless listed otherwise)

Det -4.5 +2.00
Over 93.5 Philly +2.00
Over 91 Tor -2.20
O110 Memphis @ Utah {5units} +5.00
GSW -4.5 +2.00
Wolves -1.5 -2.20
Over 91 Portland {3units} +3.00
Under 99 Milw -2.20

5-3 +7.40

<!-- / message -->

Last edited:
GSW just refuses to stop shooting threes tonite. The Nets cannot guard them in the paint but they want to force 3's. NJ is just god awful and I cant wait to watch them get smoked at the end of this trip in Utah and Denver....Awful is kind...How these guys cannot guard Kidd is just amazing. It sso obvious whne he is gonna dish and more obvious when he is gonna shot....GSW should never lose to the se guys at home...

Maybe we get OT I just cant watch anymore. I just dont watch sports much especially basketball and baseball to many guys just clueless on how to play . Only wish I was 2 inches taller ......cause I so muc h better then most of these idiots...it just aggravates me watch guys get paid millions who suck but get a chance cause they were 6' 4 at 14...

Good work Supersav. If GSW didnt allow runs everytime they got on top I would be happy myself. Very happy that GSW won. NJ blows...u had three guys Moore , Nachbar and Williams play like allstars. Moore is playing well above his head , Williams probably played his best game as a pro and Nachbar one of his best games of the year. Kidd hitting every big three was an out of body experience cause his jumper sucks. Its not even average for rec league ball. Vince is great no doubt but thats it . They shot 11 of 25 from three hitting every prayer they throw up and GS goes 5 of 26 from three and wins! All they had to do was take it to the hoop NJ is so damn unathletic it was a layup drill when they did. Harrington was a beast...Outside of Barnes and Harrington they were 1 of 18 form three. Thats basically 17 lost possessions many of which start fast breaks...

Oh well that game killed me though!

Back