USA WC Thread and Articles

Having a hard time linking the article on my phone, but this link will take to you to another New York Times article by Sam Borden that is good..maybe someone can post it

It's really surprising that Jk. Has as much power as he does. Too much power imo

Donovan cutting was handled a bit unprofessionaly, to not give anyone a heads up?? but that is what happens when Gulati gives him all this power

Having a hard time linking the article on my phone, but this link will take to you to another New York Times article by Sam Borden that is good..maybe someone can post it

It's really surprising that Jk. Has as much power as he does. Too much power imo

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/m...r-better-and-less-american.html?smid=tw-share

Awesome article. Thanks for the link braves. Hard not to think he'll be able to bring more dual citizen talent into the squad over the next four years with how energetic and positive his outlook is for this team (assuming he lives like this everyday like the article is implying.)

prob wise braves, other than probably Bradley it's a complete toss-up if any of these guys are included in the next WC cycle. I bought a Jozy in '10 not only because I like him a lot but I figured he had a better shot than not to be on this team.

There has to be some Donovan ones out there, wonder how much of a discount you can get them at

The Americans who will win the World Cup are just being born now. It will happen though.

I agree...I think we win the world cup sometime in the next 30 years. I just hope I'm alive and still able to party when it happens b/c it's gonna be the best night ever in this country

I was watching at my apartment in Chicago when the direcTV went out right at the beginning of the second half (surprise, surprise). ran over to the bar right across the street and nervously gulped down like 6 bud lights ($1 special) in like 40 minutes while watching at a table by myself with like 7 other people in the bar. needless to say we all went nuts when he scored. goosebumps.

I went to an English pub to watch it. I think the game started around 7am my time and I remember getting there about 530 am to get a seat. They stuck all the US fans outside on a small patio for the game because the England game was on inside. I left about the 88 th minute( couldn't watch anymore), actually heard the call live on the radio in my car. It was one of the more nerve racking sporting events I've ever watched. My brother and his friends stayed back and said people were throwing beer all over the place when the goal went in. Basically a huge party. Can't believe I missed it.

Algeria had a free header right before that goal, thankfully he hit it right at Tim .

Also, I forgot how bad john harkes was as a comm guy. Ian had to take over that call after john was fumbling around.

I was on a plane. Luckily for me, it was delta with free directv. Unluckily for me, the flight attendant chose those last few moments to tell all of us the benefits of a sky miles American Express. I saw the goal go in at the bottom of a screen mostly blocked by a "PA in progress" icon. F that flight attendant.

soccer has a very high injury rate... higher if you include concussions. soccer being a "fairy" sport is so overplayed... yeah maybe at age 5 there's little contact but get up to u-16 and higher and it's physical a sport as almost any, with no padding to help.
ehhh...I never said fairy, but go ask 30 mothers if their sons can play football or soccer and see what you get

i was on my couch on CTG.....literally got up and ran through the house solo....awesome

anyone got the Algeria youtube and their reaction?

Was at a Tilted Kilt in Scottsdale about 9am our time when he scored if I remember right, it was a Wednesday

Party early and lasted all day

I was on a plane. Luckily for me, it was delta with free directv. Unluckily for me, the flight attendant chose those last few moments to tell all of us the benefits of a sky miles American Express. I saw the goal go in at the bottom of a screen mostly blocked by a "PA in progress" icon. F that flight attendant.

OMG, the fucking credit card promotion on airplanes. I should put that in the shit that urks me thread

The Americans who will win the World Cup are just being born now. It will happen though.

Unfortunately they are being born in Germany or Bosnia; crazy how small the German-American pool of players is yet they make up a quarter of the roster. Just signifies how far behind youth development is stateside. One positive I see is that MLS is improving and has the resources to continue to do so.

I just hope they win it before I die.

[video]http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/06/16/world-cup-pictures-usmnt-top-ghana-1st-world-cup-game[/video]

Guys we have a real issue with this Jozy injury. Id put him almost as important to our team as Bradley. No other forward on our team can do what he can do , especially in his ability to hold up the ball, keep possession and play with his back to the goal. I know JK said he will be back , but I have find it very hard to believe he will be available to play Sunday.

Maybe it was just nerves, and having to be put into the lineup in such a big game unexpectely, but Johanssen did not look good. Jesus he looked slow , how the hell did he score 20 goals this season? Is the Dutch league awful?

Wondo isn't much better, he really isn't a back to a goal forward either.

Maybe Boyd would have been a better option as the fourth forward, as he seems to have a little more speed or maybe E. Johnson ( don't kill me). E.Johnson is strong and has speed and def imo can play better with his back to the goal than either of the other options. I don't know, probably dumb to play the what if game, but Im a tad worried.

I heard someone propose today playing a 4-2-3-1, with basically Dempsey as a lone striker and Zusi out wide. I kinda like it. I think Id rather have Zusi in there and take off one of the forwards, even though Dempsey isn't really a target guy..

Whatcha guys think?

Last edited:
Guys we have a real issue with this Jozy injury. Id put him almost as important to our team as Bradley. No other forward on our team can do what he can do , especially in his ability to hold up the ball, keep possession and play with his back to the goal. I know JK said he will be back , but I have find it very hard to believe he will be available to play Sunday.

Maybe it was just nerves, and having to be put into the lineup in such a big game unexpectely, but Johanssen did not look good. Jesus he looked slow , how the hell did he score 20 goals this season? Is the Dutch league awful?

Wondo isn't much better, he really isn't a back to a goal forward either.

Maybe Boyd would have been a better option as the fourth forward, as he seems to have a little more speed or maybe E. Johnson ( don't kill me). E.Johnson is strong and has speed and def imo can play better with his back to the goal than either of the other options. I don't know, probably dumb to play the what if game, but Im a tad worried.

I heard someone propose today playing a 4-2-3-1, with basically Dempsey as a lone striker and Zusi out wide. I kinda like it. I think Id rather have Zusi in there and take off one of the forwards, even though Dempsey isn't really a target guy..

Whatcha guys think?

agree completely with this until you get to thinking Boyd or Johnson might've been better options... those guys are bad international players and would get torn up at this level. I put Wondo in that group as well, he's not class. Unfortunately we just have no depth at forward.

I think we have to go with Dempsey up top and Zusi wide or we will be playing defense like we were the last 60 minutes of the Ghana game.

No chance Altidore sees another minute of action in this tournament IMO. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see how you quickly come back from a hamstring injury like that and be effective whatsoever.

Jozi could play round of 16 if we get there.

Ony good news besides getting 3 points is how bad Portugal looked but man we were pretty much dominated for 80 minutes on Monday. Not very encouraging. I think Zusi needs to be in there with his passing game into the box. Bradley needs to play a lot better as well.

Silver said if we get 1 point Sunday were virtually a lock to advance.

agree with everything Monk said...wish Charlie Davies didn't almost lose his life in that auto accident, with his speed and technical ability....damn what could have been.

Back