USA WC Thread and Articles

No relegation

Poor coaching is probably the biggest factor.
If USA is going to develop they need a complete restructure of the league and how its played out.
Theres probably 60 prefessional teams here in England that anyone outside the football forum here have never heard of.
Professional team sports in America and the rest of the world are a million miles apart.

This whole franchise system is ridiculous,Imagine Liverpool moving to London,like the rams moved from LA ? really :)

Imagine if you could get the best 10 year olds in the us training together with quality coaching until they are 18

You can't even get the best 10 year olds training in Southern California together, they are dispersed amongst. 30 different clubs

Imagine if you could get the best 10 year olds in the us training together with quality coaching until they are 18

You can't even get the best 10 year olds training in Southern California together, they are dispersed amongst. 30 different clubs
right,I didnt realise they was a shitload of youth teams,but what next for them ? theres nothing.. thats not right.
They gotta restructure it,its real popular despite what the oldmen on gambling forums think

right,I didnt realise they was a shitload of youth teams,but what next for them ? theres nothing.. thats not right.
They gotta restructure it,its real popular despite what the oldmen on gambling forums think

What's crazy is they have been able to organize it pretty well with women's soccer, men's just a different story

Manuk , they develop better talent in Mexico think about that

Yeah thats what I dont understand

Population tick
Popularity tick

its just badly organised.
Be having the same debate about the squad every year unless they do something about it.
Youd think after FIFA gave the usa the world cup the lightbulb might have gone off.

Gonna be unpopular here but USA shouldnt be given another until they sort some league format out,yeah Qatar,I know...but that was bent as a $2 bill and still I wouldnt bet even money that takes place.

A lot of it is money... In the rest of the world a club will board and train a young player who signs a contract with them and continue to do so as long as he has value. This allows kids from poor families to play and train at the highest level.
In the US clubs don't do this... The expense is on the families. There is a shit ton of travel at high level youth soccer, so if you're a lower class family you simply can't afford it. Most of the best soccer players here grew up upper middle class

We also have high school soccer 1/3rd of the year, which is a joke. My high school team was a powerhouse but the club teams I played on would've smoked them

1. Culture

An American kid is most likely going to play sports such as american football, baseball, basketball before they play soccer.
In the US soccer is a privilege sport, basketball is available to kids in projects and hoods to keep themselves off the street.
Unlike other nations such as Brasil, it is a way of life, it is the way out of poverty and thus they are very very hungry. All you have to do
is take a look at the countries most successful in this game, look at the upbringing, look at the attention the game gets from the rest of society.
In Belgium what other sport do they focus on?
Perfect example is Canada where pretty much most kids are born with a hockey stick in their hand and there is a lot of attention on a national level
for the game, there's funding both private and public. You are a god in High School if you are a hockey star.

BoyAo9zCEAA6PVJ.jpg

[video=youtube;xtXo-8tThAg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xtXo-8tThAg[/video]

1. Culture

An American kid is most likely going to play sports such as american football, baseball, basketball before they play soccer.
In the US soccer is a privilege sport, basketball is available to kids in projects and hoods to keep themselves off the street.
Unlike other nations such as Brasil, it is a way of life, it is the way out of poverty and thus they are very very hungry. All you have to do
is take a look at the countries most successful in this game, look at the upbringing, look at the attention the game gets from the rest of society.
Perfect example is Canada where pretty much most kids are born with a hockey stick in their hand and there is a lot of attention on a national level
for the game, there's funding both private and public. You are a god in High School if you are a hockey star.

I didn't play soccer and from an area where football is king, so I don't know for sure, but I thought I've heard several times that one of the failures of developing youngsters is that it is oftentimes difficult to get all the good players together. Youth leagues (parents) don't want there to be teams that are much better because it hurts the feelings of those that aren't as good. Basically an everyone gets a trophy mentality. The bigger sports have better travel team/AAU systems in place, so they end up with the better athletes. All part of the new American philosophy: why work harder to achieve more when we just bring the high achievers down to our level

I didn't play soccer and from an area where football is king, so I don't know for sure, but I thought I've heard several times that one of the failures of developing youngsters is that it is oftentimes difficult to get all the good players together. Youth leagues (parents) don't want there to be teams that are much better because it hurts the feelings of those that aren't as good. Basically an everyone gets a trophy mentality. The bigger sports have better travel team/AAU systems in place, so they end up with the better athletes. All part of the new American philosophy: why work harder to achieve more when we just bring the high achievers down to our level

again this ties into the culture. the mentality of American Football, Baseball and Basketball at a young age is completely different to Soccer.
also think about it, whats easier to organize, a group of guys shooting some hoops 5 v 5, 3 v 3 or getting a pickup game of soccer? Unless you know of a group that plays regularly finding the guys to even play 3 v 3 soccer is tough.
as you mentioned your area football is king, if you are the star QB of the best HS school team man you are set but if you are the star soccer player on your HS team what do you get?
you'll see soccer is being played by more of the immigrants from latin americas, south americas, europe, africa, asia.

if you go to the UK most of the talk is really soccer, kids will be kicking a soccer ball, news is about soccer and all the kids aspire to be a soccer player as it's been ingrained.

inregards to better athletes well a lot of coaches will say you cannot teach size, but you can teach skill. You'll see a lot of converted athletes such as Jimmy Graham....heck I think most TE were former basketball players? Not too sure. We see how it's Football/Basketball, Football/Baseball, Basketball/Baseball but very rarely any soccer, the physical characteristics of a soccer player is nowhere near to that of the other sports. The only NBA player that has size that I believe is pretty good at soccer is Kobe Bryant! But where did he grow up? Italy :)

100% not true. The two best teams in Michigan soccer were all star kids from across the state (literally.. My friend lived in Grand Rapids on the west side and played for a metro Detroit team. Misschung was the GK on that team ) the best play with the best... Of the people who can afford it

1. Culture

Lets face it; soccer to the poor in Brasil is equivalent to basketball to the poor in America. All of their focus goes to their respected sports almost entirely if not entirely.

again this ties into the culture. the mentality of American Football, Baseball and Basketball at a young age is completely different to Soccer.
also think about it, whats easier to organize, a group of guys shooting some hoops 5 v 5, 3 v 3 or getting a pickup game of soccer? Unless you know of a group that plays regularly finding the guys to even play 3 v 3 soccer is tough.
as you mentioned your area football is king, if you are the star QB of the best HS school team man you are set but if you are the star soccer player on your HS team what do you get?
you'll see soccer is being played by more of the immigrants from latin americas, south americas, europe, africa, asia.

if you go to the UK most of the talk is really soccer, kids will be kicking a soccer ball, news is about soccer and all the kids aspire to be a soccer player as it's been ingrained.

inregards to better athletes well a lot of coaches will say you cannot teach size, but you can teach skill. You'll see a lot of converted athletes such as Jimmy Graham....heck I think most TE were former basketball players? Not too sure. We see how it's Football/Basketball, Football/Baseball, Basketball/Baseball but very rarely any soccer, the physical characteristics of a soccer player is nowhere near to that of the other sports. The only NBA player that has size that I believe is pretty good at soccer is Kobe Bryant! But where did he grow up? Italy :)

At my HS it meant that's where you found the best weed.

HAHAH....that's so true CG.

My HS is known as one of the better teams in michigan. multiple state ships but only one guy ever did much with it. Brian Maisonneuve. Household name.

Let us just say the SEC is best at football and the B10/ACC is best at baskets.....the best athletes don't play soccer. "Privileged" kids as OM calls em, I call em white kids play soccer.

Its a a big country and the USA will be OK....will they be the best, no

however more parents are pushing for soccer because no injuries

Let us just say the SEC is best at football and the B10/ACC is best at baskets.....the best athletes don't play soccer. "Privileged" kids as OM calls em, I call em white kids play soccer.

I get the argument that our best athletes aren't playing soccer, but are Spain's best athletes playing soccer? What about messi, is he considered the best athlete in Argentina.

I think it is more than just our best athletes aren't playing the sport

IMO, soccer is coming around more now than ever. How long it takes to make a huge difference is prolly a generation away; at minimum a half of a generation. If a kid with less means than the rest is really good at any sport, the parents/coach/assoc will find a way for that kid to get the funding.

it has nothing to do with Athletes

it has to do with coaching, all you really need athletically to play is the ability to run

there aren't any bulked up players like other sports where genetics play a part, it's a skill sport

the difference is coaching and only is coaching like Braves said look at Messi

the Ballon D'or which is the award for the best player in the world has been dominated in the last five years by Lionel Messi (5 ft 7) Xavi (5 ft 7) Iniesta (5 ft 7)

the best player of the last 20 years in the middle there and doesn't look like an Athlete compared to what people would define in the US, and the best striker of all time behind him is all ready looking a bit pudgy (and would get larger) and he still continued to dominate
real-madrid,-ronaldo,-zinedine-zidane,-roberto-carlos-138934.jpg

Plenty of kids play soccer when they are younger in the US. I think it's the best sport for a kid to play because it teaches great footwork, which can be used in any other sport they will play, and will give them an advantage in those sports because of their footwork. It's also great for them in terms of aerobic exercise and building up a stamina to be able to run and run w/o getting tired.

I think some of the reason soccer tends to fizzle out for kids as they get older is that it's just not on TV nearly as much, and kids (and even their parents) don't think they can strike it rich playing soccer (like they can in the 4 major sports). I do think, as CG said, that the attitude may be changing and people in the US are starting to see European football and what their players make as well as the exposure they get....and the MLS is trying to get that feel over here. Not sure if the MLS will ever get like it is in Spain, Italy, England, etc....only time will tell I guess.

soccer has a very high injury rate... higher if you include concussions. soccer being a "fairy" sport is so overplayed... yeah maybe at age 5 there's little contact but get up to u-16 and higher and it's physical a sport as almost any, with no padding to help.

pyppurs, anyone. Can you get me link to episode 3 or when it is showing again

Found it on youtube..

I didn't see the Jk press conference last Friday, but based on this show the media didn't really throw any softballs out there.. That's good

IMO, soccer is coming around more now than ever. How long it takes to make a huge difference is prolly a generation away; at minimum a half of a generation. If a kid with less means than the rest is really good at any sport, the parents/coach/assoc will find a way for that kid to get the funding.

FIFA on playstation is fucking awesome. Every kid in the world has a PS4 or XBox it seems. Maybe the video game will help foster the development of soccer in the US

FIFA on playstation is fucking awesome. Every kid in the world has a PS4 or XBox it seems. Maybe the video game will help foster the development of soccer in the US

It's sad to say, but you are 100% correct. Video games are the bridge people use these days to get through to kids psychologically.

I also don't think money is a motivational thing in soccer for us kids. At least to the ones who play it now. Sure it matters some, but who doesn't want to just play anything for a living?

Coaching has to be there across the board and you aren't gonna find that here. Sure, there are passionate folks who coach/teach the game, but they don't have (by and large) everything it takes.

There needs to be a flux of people outside the USA who are willing to come here and start programs like you see all over the World for youngsters ... Academy's. That will also takes a bunch of convincing from the American Family as well as we are not accustomed to sending our children off like this for a period of time that is longer than two weeks for anything.

^^^ case in point Nick boalterri tennis academy. That was predominantly kids from outside the USA.

Families would have to be willing to uproot from A and move to B. Some crazy dads out there would be willing to do it.

FIFA on the iphone is fucking awesome as well!

Seeing these subs at half I'd like to see Bedoya get back in over Davis. Or is JK convinced Bedoya is starting....? He hustled his ass off last game.

Im sure everyones seen it but its still pretty.

[video=youtube_share;6KRnULmVPiA]http://youtu.be/6KRnULmVPiA[/video]

Back