USA WC Thread and Articles

why do you guys think 6 guys being on the bench during the world cup and not playing is going to make us better in 2018?

Personally don't agree with Donovan not on the roster just trying to understand Klinsmann's reasoning behind it. I mean what the fucking fuck is a 33 year old Brad Davis going to give us?

two weeks of camp and 3 games on the bench is going to make them that much better in 2018 that it's worth bringing a worse roster this year? i don't think so. shit changes so much from WC to WC, half these guys won't even be in the picture in 2018 let alone being starters.

I agree to an extent, but the only issue I really have is Yedlin and Davis being in and Donovan out. I'm ok with everything else.

I actually don't really have that much of an issue with Yedlin. Our lack of success at the WC is not going be because Parkhurst, Goodsen and Evans aren't there.

I guess JK is going to come out and say that he only wanted 4 forwards and LD wasn't one of the top four. I could buy that, because I don't think he is. I just don't understand how you could want B. Davis instead of him as a wide midfielder, that is what is surprising.

I actually don't really have that much of an issue with Yedlin. Our lack of success at the WC is not going be because Parkhurst, Goodsen and Evans aren't there.

I guess JK is going to come out and say that he only wanted 4 forwards and LD wasn't one of the top four. I could buy that, because I don't think he is. I just don't understand how you could want B. Davis instead of him as a wide midfielder, that is what is surprising.

We're completely on the same page here. At what point is Klinsmann going to say: "Gee golly we sure are flat today. If only we had a spark in this 0-0 game for the final 10 minutes. Oh yeah Brad Davis! He has that "it" that could get us that scoring chance........."

We're completely on the same page here. At what point is Klinsmann going to say: "Gee golly we sure are flat today. If only we had a spark in this 0-0 game for the final 10 minutes. Oh yeah Brad Davis! He has that "it" that could get us that scoring chance........."

hahaha, exactly

a month ago at Galaxy camp....just not the same anymore.

nDTRASi.jpg

two weeks of camp and 3 games on the bench is going to make them that much better in 2018 that it's worth bringing a worse roster this year? i don't think so. shit changes so much from WC to WC, half these guys won't even be in the picture in 2018 let alone being starters.

it's 7 weeks in a row of training with the national team, there's no other time period bigger than to have a group like this together

not saying it's the ball all end all, but Klinnsmann might think its important

why do you guys think 6 guys being on the bench during the world cup and not playing is going to make us better in 2018?

Because they will already understand the process of preparing to play in a WC and not be as nervous the next time around.

I thought it was the right decision to include all the young guys, and I've heard people complaining that Klinnsman must have guaranteed Julian Green a roster spot. If he did then job well done, Jurgen is the only reason he joined team USA and the USSF's handling of Green was horrendous. Imagine if you included Subotic and Ibisevic to the roster, how much better off the squad would be and they were there for the taking and US Soccer blew it.

I do wish Tim Ream and Danny Williams had been considered, and I can live w/out Landon. From that ESPN special on the team you could tell he was really struggling with conditioning and was only going to be a sub.

Good to see Beckerman finally make the team. Really nice to see someone as promising as Julian Green commit to the USA and get a spot. Here's to him being better than Freddy Adu ever was. I had already prepared myself to not see Donovan make the squad after watching the first installment on espn2 about the usnmt mini-series and knowing that Donovan had skipped out on a much at the beginning. There's no question JK is holding that against him as many of you know whether you want to say it out loud or not. There's nothing wrong with "looking to the future" just as long as it pans out and we all know that's no gimme. But our group stage doesn't promise a lot. Gonna need more than a break or two to advance. As Jimmy Buffett once said ... "Only time will tell"

it's 7 weeks in a row of training with the national team, there's no other time period bigger than to have a group like this together

not saying it's the ball all end all, but Klinnsmann might think its important

these guys aren't training hard during the world cup off days. it's walk throughs and getting some touches, which anyone can be doing at home. I don't buy that four years down the road it's going to help THAT much to where you mortgage your current World Cup. If there's a coin flip, sure go with youth, but I still can't fathom that Landon can't provide 10 better late-sub minutes than a few of those guys on the roster.

basically I don't buy the youth thing (especially considering Beckerman made the roster, a player I like but who is certainly in his twilight years)... IMO this was a deeper behind the scenes thing with Landon rather than age or ability.

either way the squad is still not that much worse off without him.. but it's still sad not having him on the team after all the memories from '10 and '02.

JK seems to want guys that play with passion and energy. Landycakes doesn't fit that mold anymore. JK clearly laid out what is expected of him and his first reaction was, "I can't go all out every day." JK didn't cut him, he cut himself with his pisspoor attitude and lack of emotion. He partners along with Robbie in the shit MLS and hasn't registered a goal.

I think JK picked this team to compete in this WC. I think its ridiculous to think he is only preparing for copa and 18WC. Brad Davis made the team because he gives a shit. He played for his life in the Mexico match. Thats what JK seems to want and can build around. I think everything he's done is strategy for this cup. Half the guys on this team won't even make copa16.

Only guy i can't wrap my head around is Wondo.

Sounds like dp is going have him on here shortly, hopefully he ask JK some tough questions

After Landon Donovan was shockingly cut from the 23-player World Cup roster on Thursday, the head coach’s son, Jonathan, tweeted: “HHAHAHAHAHAHAH DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA”

I think saying it's heartbreaking he didn't make the team is a little much

he is the most famous US soccer player ever, scored the most famous goal in US soccer history, and had a loonng run as the best player & captain. It shouldn't have ended this way, being surprisingly cut from his final World Cup shot. (whether you agree or not with it, it was surprising)

unfair to base someone's fitness/career on one picture. Remember the eddie lacy photo that turned out to just be a weird angle/wind ?

he is the most famous US soccer player ever, scored the most famous goal in US soccer history, and had a loonng run as the best player & captain. It shouldn't have ended this way, being surprisingly cut from his final World Cup shot. (whether you agree or not with it, it was surprising)

Yeah very surprising I agree with that

I'm not basing his career on the photo, just saying it's not difficult to agree with Pyp that he's just not the same player, and the angle on that pic is fine. Gotta move on to get better in the grand scheme, don't let him fade in twilight of his career.

Great memories, no doubt

Agree 100%, but the writing was on the wall (to me) he wasn't gonna make the final roster. I wish he was on there.

lets just say the US don't make it out of the group stages will JK still have a job?

Yes, unless they get smoked.

He is under contract through the 2018 WC, so that would be somewhere north of 10 mill they would owe him( heard he makes between 2-3 mill a year).

There does not appear to be any issues with players( except maybe Landon and he is gone), but that can all change with a very poor World Cup showing.

yeah expectations aren't high so I think we would have to do verrrry poorly for him to get the boot. 0-3 with like a 1-8 goal ratio.

Yes, unless they get smoked.

He is under contract through the 2018 WC, so that would be somewhere north of 10 mill they would owe him( heard he makes between 2-3 mill a year).

There does not appear to be any issues with players( except maybe Landon and he is gone), but that can all change with a very poor World Cup showing.

There's no way Klinsmann is fired even if we are absolutely drilled in every game. No way Gulati lets him go after how long he was courted. The US fed knows he can land the best talent from the guns for hire player pool and they know it's one of the steps for their program to compete on the elite level.

"Landon is my brother. I've known Landon since I was 15. We've been through a lot together," Beasley said. "To not have him there is difficult."

Howard a couple days ago. A little over the top as he doesn't strike fear in anyone,but I'd say he was well liked

"For me it's a very easy equation," Howard said of Donovan at the nation's training camp at Stanford University. "If Landon's (Donovan) on the field he's in our top one or two players.

"That's just my opinion, whether that means anything I don't know.

"But Landon's humble and I'm sure he feels that way but for me he's easily one of our best players and he strikes fear in opponents."

braves, I forget who but someone in MLS tweeted a couple hours ago that he played against Landon a couple weeks ago and he still "struck fear" in him ...those words haha

Haha really, is love to see who said that

Funny thing about this is that it isn't a long shot that a midfielder or forward gets hurt the next couple of weeks and Donovan is brought back in

Wow bigsoccer has just been a complete shitshow the last few days

As for JK getting fired if we get crushed at the cup, the public outcry might be so large that it gives Gulati no choice

The omission that really worries me is Goodson - CB depth is very thin. Brooks looked like complete shit against Ukraine and although Goodson is not the best, he is solid and very experienced.

Wow bigsoccer has just been a complete shitshow the last few days

As for JK getting fired if we get crushed at the cup, the public outcry might be so large that it gives Gulati no choice

The Brad Davis posts are cracking me up the most. "Brad freaking Davis made it in over LD. Brad Davis. Let that sink in." Funny and accurate.

Someone was asking about installment two of the us World Cup show on espn the other day. My local ABC channel is showing it today at 2 or 230 PM. Check your local abc for the showing.

It sucks hearing Landon so bummed about being cut... He really has been very open and honest about his level of play and to hear him say he really thought he was in contention to start makes the decision even more questionable

It sucks hearing Landon so bummed about being cut... He really has been very open and honest about his level of play and to hear him say he really thought he was in contention to start makes the decision even more questionable

I agree. I do feel bad for him. I think he was almost too honest at times.

It's really hard to think there was not some personal element involved here between him and jk( especially after the klinnsman sons tweet) I know this isn't charity, but damn he could have put him on the 23, and he could have helped us in some way.

Why isnt more talent coming through ?
IDK obviously but a lot of kids play football @ school and college in the states,why isnt there a shitload of new talent coming through the ranks ?

320 million USA
12 Million Belgium.

it doesnt add up

Is there leagues or is it just the MLS ? cause thats not the way to do it,look at England now,National team destroyed by skysports and the EPL.

Poor coaching and way too many hands in the youth development and way too many teams... Money

b,off topic but

when Celtic beat Inter Milan in the 1967 European cup final....they took a squad of 15 players to Lisbon for the final,14 of the 15 were born within 10 miles of Celtic Park.
Thats what Id love to see now :(

Money has truly ruined British football

Back