USA WC Thread and Articles

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
http://espnfc.com/?cc=5901

Really great stuff on the 1994 squad and the hosting of the WC...the link will bring you to the home page, but it is 4 parts...5 maybe with the aftermath. Getting excited.....

A side....top 5 USA players ever? Who are they and can GKs be included?

Bradley
Donovan
Dempsey
Eddie Pope

last one is tough, prolly go Reyna, McBride, or Wynalda...ALtidore close too

If we go best keeper Id say it is between Howard/Keller

was McBride ever a captain for the team? That dude was a fucking true professional. Every manager and player that has played with him has spoken high regard of his professionalism.

was McBride ever a captain for the team? That dude was a fucking true professional. Every manager and player that has played with him has spoken high regard of his professionalism.

not sure if he was. I always liked him as a player , not great skill, but was real good in the air and always gave great effort, something you can't say about Altidore

Donovan
Dempsey
Cobi Jones
Reyna
McBride

Howard best GK

Bradley has a chance to get there but needs a few more solid years.

no love for Friedel!?

is it me or do the US seem to produce some pretty damn good keepers?
Other than Howard and Guzan you guys know of any future potential #1?

yeah for whatever reason USAs keepers, from Meola to Keller, Friedel, Howard, Guzan.. unreal relative to the field players.

Bill Hamid is supposed to be pretty good but I don't watch really any MLS so I haven't really seen him play.. just have heard his name thrown around.

shit if GKs are counted then it's Meola, Friedel, Keller, Howard and Landon Donovan and to be honest I rally believe that Meola was the best of them all but doesn't get that recognition since he came along at a time when their was no pro league in the USA and before Americans were making inroads into Europe's top leagues. Eventually he settled for staying stateside when the MLS started up.

Guess just make this the World Cup thread for USA..

30 man squad named on 5/12, camp starts 5/14 , final squad of 23 on 6/2.. Lots of prep time, and I don't think anyone will have club obligations that will delay them from getting here( not 100% sure)

Be interesting to see who he brings in for forwards, and it is probably going to be the most competitive for spots. Boyd, agudelo in good form.. I'd guess he brings in Altidore, johansen, wondo. Boyd, agudelo, and Johnson..

Altidore a lock to make squad and also start, and I'm not sure anyone else is after that, maybe johansen , but he hasn't been in the best form.

Forgot about Julian green, he will be invited I'm sure, that probably leaves agudelo out of the 30 man squad

Here is the full 30-man roster:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa/England), Tim Howard (Everton/England), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (11): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla/Mexico), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin/Germany), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/England), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg/Germany), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim/Germany), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes/France), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/Mexico), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg/Norway), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Julian Green (Bayern Munich/Germany), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas/Turkey), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland/England), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna/Austria), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Graham Zusi is my fav US player, dude is a fucking midfield general.

I actually kind of like the US mid vs Ghana, Bradley isn't a push over, dude will go to war.
Honestly no clue about those defenders...whats the potential back 4 there?
The more I look at this team the more I think they will score against Ghana, just not too sure about this defence?

back four is as scary as it's ever been, which is saying a lot given that we've never fielded a particularly good back four

Fabian, Evans, Beslar, and Cameron would be my guess but there isn't a lot that separates the list.

F. Johnson for sure will start IMO

I defer to the experts, but what y'all think?

Obv will need the result vs Ghana, but any real chance to advance

I defer to the experts, but what y'all think?

Obv will need the result vs Ghana, but any real chance to advance

if they beat Ghana, Portugal will be drawable for them. I can see Portuguese losing to Gerries which means they will have to go for the aggressive play vs the US.
The 2nd spot is really honestly up for grabs and I think goal difference will play a part again.

Very surprised.. That being said Landon isn't a box to box player anymore and is a liability on defense , also pretty far on the depth chart for forwards

I still think he would be a valuable late sub..

Brad Davis sucks and yedlin while fast is way too inexperienced,, he's made a slew of mistakes in mls this year

@ESPN_Numbers: Landon Donovan has 5 World Cup goals. That's more than Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have... COMBINED (!!)

U.S. Soccer @ussoccer · 4h

#USMNT Forwards: Altidore, Dempsey, Johannsson, Wondolowski #OneNationOneTeam #1N1T

• ReplyReplied to 0 times
  • RetweetRetweeted 544 times544
  • FavoriteFavorited 362 times362
  • More

#USMNT Midfielders: Beckerman, Bedoya, Bradley, Davis, Diskerud, Green, Jones, Zusi #OneNationOneTeam #1N1T

• RetweetRetweeted 535 times535
  • FavoriteFavorited 314 times314
  • More

#USMNT Defenders: Beasley, Besler, Brooks, Cameron, Chandler, Gonzalez, Johnson, Yedlin

• RetweetRetweeted 488 times488
  • FavoriteFavorited 299 times299
  • More

The USA's 2014 FIFA World Cup roster…#USMNT Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan, Tim Howard, Nick Rimando

Clearly there's a major disconnect between what Klinsmann expects from Landon and what Landon is willing to deliver as a team leader. That, or Klinsmann doesn't think he'll be fit enough to track back on defense where, as Braves has said, he is a liability. If Klinsmann is still bitter about the "sabbatical" why even bring him into camp? I'm clearly hoping for the fitness issue because Brad Davis fucking sucks. Otherwise, I'm quite pleased with the roster selection and am praying to the soccer gods Klinsman rolls out a Johnson - Besler - Cameron - Chandler back line with Zusi and Johnson wearing out whoever has to face them on their side.

Ok, I'll move over here too.

Clearly there's a major disconnect between what Klinsmann expects from Landon and what Landon is willing to deliver as a team leader. That, or Klinsmann doesn't think he'll be fit enough to track back on defense where, as Braves has said, he is a liability. If Klinsmann is still bitter about the "sabbatical" why even bring him into camp? I'm clearly hoping for the fitness issue because Brad Davis fucking sucks. Otherwise, I'm quite pleased with the roster selection and am praying to the soccer gods Klinsman rolls out a Johnson - Besler - Cameron - Chandler back line with Zusi and Johnson wearing out whoever has to face them on their side.

Ok, I'll move over here too.

I like that back line and think that is probably what we see, though JK likes Omar I just hope that is not at the expense of not starting Cameron. Cameron has to start imo

Brad Davis does suck, doubt he plays

Agree no reason to bring him into camp ( landon) if he wasn't going bring him in to Brazil. I also read fitness wasn't an issue as a coach earlier in the week said he was doing well, so what exactly was it? We may find out tomorrow from JK,

In addition to the above I have Jones( though he is a liability with all his cards, wouldn't mind Beckermann), Bradley , Zusi and Bedoya ( out wide), Dempsey as a withdrawn forward behind Altidore

I read an article that basically states what Teed is saying about JK looking towards 2018 with a roster like this.

He is under contract through 2018 WC and he knows the difficulty of the group we are in. If he isn't under contract through 2018, we probably don't see a roster this young.

I like that back line and think that is probably what we see, though JK likes Omar I just hope that is not at the expense of not starting Cameron. Cameron has to start imo

Brad Davis does suck, doubt he plays

Agree no reason to bring him into camp ( landon) if he wasn't going bring him in to Brazil. I also read fitness wasn't an issue as a coach earlier in the week said he was doing well, so what exactly was it? We may find out tomorrow from JK,

In addition to the above I have Jones( though he is a liability with all his cards, wouldn't mind Beckermann), Bradley , Zusi and Bedoya ( out wide), Dempsey as a withdrawn forward behind Altidore

Saw the discussion at BT braves and agree with most of your assessments. We FOR SURE agree that Dempsey has to be in the middle as this is where he's lethal (he's absolutely worthless when pushed wide.) When Jones and Bradley are both on the pitch Jones is excellent at the holding MF position and I can't see Klinsmann pulling him even if he gets into card trouble. They always seem to know what the other is doing whereas Jones often looks totally lost without Bradley in there. We know how good Bradley is and he will have to be his best for us to advance. The one positive with Landon being cut is that Zusi is almost guaranteed to play every minute of the group stage and that is great news for this team. If Klinsmann puts him and Johnson on the same side they will give anyone absolute fits. Both are dynamic players with good pace who, most importantly, make big plays when it matters. Zusi makes Altidore and Dempsey much more lethal with his ability to get the ball deep and great service into the box. I think he will be a major factor if we have any success this go around.

I agree with you and think we see the 4-5-1 almost exclusively. Klinsmann seems to really like Beckermann and I'd bet we may evenl see him and Jones in the holding midfield spots with Bradley being able to roam where he pleases.

And please, God, no Omar. I don't know if my heart can take it. Would be like watching Gooch barreling through players every game in '06

why do you guys think 6 guys being on the bench during the world cup and not playing is going to make us better in 2018?

the experience of the camp is a good thing. I think all of the young guys get playing time, except probably Yedlin. I think Green will probably be one of the first subs to be used, hell he might even have a good shot at being a starter as an outside mid

the experience of the camp is a good thing. I think all of the young guys get playing time, except probably Yedlin. I think Green will probably be one of the first subs to be used, hell he might even have a good shot at being a starter as an outside mid

two weeks of camp and 3 games on the bench is going to make them that much better in 2018 that it's worth bringing a worse roster this year? i don't think so. shit changes so much from WC to WC, half these guys won't even be in the picture in 2018 let alone being starters.

Back