US Open Golf from Pinehurst #2 In-Game

Anybody going this week? I'll be there tomorrow and maybe Saturday. Sunday is strictly TV watching bc - let's face it - there is not much golf watching when you are actually there. Lots of beer drinking, though.

It's way early, but with every passing tourney Speith is looking like he is gonna stick. When he realizes tournaments last four days and not three, he will really be a force to reckon with.

It is bc everyone wants to be funny instead of just giving us coverage.

I noticed it during the Masters, but it seems that when ESPN actually shows golf shots, 95% of it are on the greens. Have fun Carolina. I got to play #2 last June, and it was awesome. Whole place and setup is incredible

I've been loosely seeing the stories about the rough being in such bad shape but what's the deal? The course looks beat up

I've been loosely seeing the stories about the rough being in such bad shape but what's the deal? The course looks beat up

There is no rough in the traditional sense, rather there are waste areas with sand and wiregrass clumps. It may not be the most esthetic, especially on TV, but I guarantee you the conditions are immaculate and those waste areas are exactly how they are intended to be

but a bunch of bald spots in the fairways, even fringe areas

going through a drought in NC? I've seen enough of Pinehurst in much better condition

They took out a ton of sprinklers in the renovation, something like 50 million gallons less of water to maintain the course now, so those native areas are going to get pretty burnt up and brown with the onset of summer. Think it looks worse on TV than in person

I guess their intent was to do this, just seems odd for a US Open

It's the British Open without the weather

I guess their intent was to do this, just seems odd for a US Open

It's the British Open without the weather

Donald Ross was Scottish, so I imagine his inspiration for it's original design was based on courses over there.

but a bunch of bald spots in the fairways, even fringe areas

going through a drought in NC? I've seen enough of Pinehurst in much better condition

Everything you see on TV is in its intended form. Crenshaw and Coore were going for the REAL Donald Ross look he designed from the word "go". What you see today that is called "Donald Ross" is factually incorrect. I realize that prolly won't satisfy your need, but that's the best way to put it.

Had to go do some work when the afternoon tee times came around. What got into Martin Kaymer?! 65. Wow! I can promise ya the USGA won't allow that score again.

Had to go do some work when the afternoon tee times came around. What got into Martin Kaymer?! 65. Wow! I can promise ya the USGA won't allow that score again.

Kaymer probably just screwed everyone +3 or worse. Pins are going to be gross tomorrow

I forgot how bad ESPN golf coverage is. So choppy.

The thing is, just give me 1 hours of golf and maybe a wrap-up here and there...instead of switching to NBC at 3(per usual) then the duece at 5(this seems new...must be WC related) and each one starts with the same Phil interview and wrap-up of morning.

And I say it every year....why is Berman covering this??

I hate it is going to Fox next year but at least no more Berman.

I also say this with disgust as I am watching a replay now after getting home from work and it is Bermans segment.

There is no rough in the traditional sense, rather there are waste areas with sand and wiregrass clumps. It may not be the most esthetic, especially on TV, but I guarantee you the conditions are immaculate and those waste areas are exactly how they are intended to be

I love the re-design here...and that the USGA embraced it...

On an easy scoring day 34 guys were E to -2...obviously Kaymer got dirty but this was the easy day...a great test forthcoming for the players.

USGA is going to get some revenge today. Vegas had the low round set at 66.5 and Kaymer just dummied that.

Crazy rain last night. Hundreds of workers on the course right now with leaf blowers trying to dry the course. Officials fear the course would be too easy if extremely wet.

just an FYI...

Yeah he is killing it.

USGA prolly isn't happy they watered for Thursday now with the overnight rain. Even if it is a dry weekend he could just run away with it now.

This could turn kinda dumb at this point. You have a huge pack of very good players all clustered together then you have one guy just crushing. Kinda dissapointing but much credit to Kaymer...playing outstanding.

Just not entertained like usual so far with the first couple days of the event, hopefully it gets more interesting on the weekend

I love to see the hacking out of the rough and the lightning fast greens, which at least should get faster over the weekend as they dry out

Only two Kaymer pickers from what I see, and neither might have him for the weekend :shocked:

West Coast
  • 1. Justin Rose
    2. Henrik Stenson
    3. Dustin Johnson
    4. Jason Day
    5. Martin Kaymer

Tiebreaker 1: Even
    Tiebreaker 2: 67

NOTE - Top 4 are currently all within Top 60 cutline.

IvyinBarondise
1) Mickelson
2) Ernie Els
3) Adam Scott
4) Martin Kaymer sp*?
5) Retief Goosen sp*?

TB1- 67
TB2- +1​

NOTE - Goosen and Els are currently 1 shot outside the cutline.

I miss the wrist-breaking thick rough too. This links style setup is a big fail for the US Open.

Catch 22 on screwing with the greens bc the USGA cannot let them go (this is what they want to do) bc the women play here next week. It would be a blacker eye to let the greens go for them men and then have the women play on pure shit next week. A field day would break out amongst anyone who was for equal rights and all that. And they would be correct.

Dominant effort by Martin. The course must be that hard, that or the other guys arent that good. Probably a little bit of both, as no one really made a run.

NBC is annoying in that they never admit that they're showing a putt on tape delay. They just cut to a random person they haven't been following like its live and miraculously the putt always goes in. Show some journalistic integrity and at least say it was just a moment ago. Probably too much to ask of that network I know....

Back