Two weeks in...NFL...lets talk...what have we learned?

This league is still about who you play and when you play them.

If the Steelers faced the Vikings last week, they probably lose. Instead they get Case Keenum as a follow up to the Deshone Kizer and they're talking about Blitzburgh being back. Stop. They get Rodgers and Brady later this year, talk to me then.

The Seahawks and Carolina on the other hand....how many teams do they beat with those stinky performances? Five or six at most?

I have to throw out any defensive effort against the following:

Indy without Luck
Giants without OBJ
Bears
Browns
Texans
Jets
Niners
Any backup QB not named Garappolo

Likewise I have to dismiss any offensive explosion against the Saints.

Two I'm still on the fence are the Bengals offensive woes and the Cowboys defense(?). The Bengals just have two much talent with AJ, Eifert, LaFell, Bernard and Mixon to be this bad. I'll give them another couple of weeks with the new OC. Dallas was down 3 cornerbacks by the end of the first quarter, and their talent at the position was suspect to begin with. That was a weird game in Denver, I'm willing to give them a pass for another week, although the run defense is the real concern there.

The Week 2 bounceback game vs. a 1-0 opponent still is one of the surest money makers in the NFL. The Titans and Redskins both got the W against teams that looked really good last week. The Jets were the lone exception, but they are not bet worthy in any situation.

UP TONIGHT, Giants looking to bounce back against the 1-0 Lions.

So what was there to like about Week 2?

Texans D will keep them in a lot of games.
Ravens effort is a toss but there was no let down vs. the Browns.
Bills and Panthers D both put up good efforts.
Titans rebounded nicely, they have their offensive identity firmly in place (lets hope Henry is now the #1 guy for my fantasy sake)
Chiefs keep rolling behind Hunt. To their credit the Eagles had him in check for almost 3 quarters, and Wentz is making some plays.
Redskins running game was very strong against a good Rams DL.
Falcons still look like the class of the NFC.

Playoff picture is starting to clear up already:
AFC East - Do we see the Dolphins as a threat to Brady & Co? I don't. But there are more than a few big games for the Pats against the AFC West and NFC South, the two strongest divisions in the league. Tough sledding to get a #1 seed and maybe #2 as well.
AFC North - Matched up with AFC South and NFC North. For Baltimore and Pittsburgh that's two against the Browns, two against the Bengals, the Jags, the Colts, the Texans and the Bears on the schedule. Bonus for catching Minny without Bradford. Winner of the head to head has the inside track to the #1 seed.
AFC South - Titans look like the most complete team, but they're still likely a #4 seed.
AFC West - Because of the soft schedules in the North there will probably only be two left standing out of KC, Denver and Oakland. Those six head to head games will be must see TV. They will kick around the NFC East for the most part.

NFC East - Matches up OK with NFC West, but the AFC West will leave this a one playoff team division, likely a #3 or #4 seed. Totally up for grabs.
NFC North - Think the Pack are still the class, but the Lion and Vikes may be OK if they stay healthy.
NFC South - Falcons look ready to be #1 seed this year, but Bucs and Panthers will be good tests. Could see three come out of here and the wildcards will give the #3 and #4 seeds a tussle.
NFC West - Flawed teams all around, Rams might have the most going for them and they just lost at home. They get four with the AFC South to boost their numbers.

Last edited:
Denver is much better than I expected. Two pretty dominating performances, albeit both at home. AFC West gonna be fun to watch.

Yea think I have to change my thinking w them, was very fortunate to have the hook w chargers so escaped w a split fading them the 1st 2 games.

Jason Garrett still a terrible playcaller. All credit in world to donks but how you come out in shotgun spread and only hand zeke ball 4 times in 1st half is beyond me??!? Well before game got out of hand they had dak in shotgun trying to be something they not. I was so excited to see Dallas oline and rushing attack vs donks defense and feel cheated cause never happened.

I already suspected this but think I was in minority. Fish are gonna be a much better team w cutler at qb, he made a couple unreal throws in that game and ajayi gonna have lots more room this season as teams will pay for stacking the box. Most impressively against a chargers d w great pass rushers and ball hawks in secondary he didn't make any of the ugly "cutler" type throws we have seen in past.

Seattle
Cincinnati
NY Giants

All their Offensive Lines stink. Cincinnati is not a playoff team in any way shape or form. Seattle's Defense is good enough to win them some games, but that offense is not good.

SF offense is going to surprise this year. They had two tough matchups first two weeks - I expect them to show more life moving forward.

Chiefs, Raiders, and Broncos look awesome and that division is going to be very tough to win.

Winston is gonna have a monster year - which means Evans will too - that team gets the Muscle hamster back - watch out

Steelers look flat to me - will that change - probably, but that offense is definitely not humming on all cylinders yet.

Carson Plamer is old - Cardinals are toast

If the Texans can find some offense (hello Watson, Foreman, and Hopkins) they could be really good. I think Watson is a game changer - if they open up that offense for him (and they will in time) they could be a very good football team. I wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs.

Time for a new start in NO. Blow this thing up. Benson is drooling on himself somewhere.

This thing is bad......Drew can only do what he can do. Never seen more meaningless 300 yard games and likely never will again.

He costs too much and this is the year of the QB. Let's get one.

AZ is mediocre to bad, look old and slower

GB as a team is over-rated?

Seahawks dominating every game at home is over

Chiefs do not get the respect they deserve as contenders?

Oakland's offense is on point, we lead the league in points two games in. And Marshawn looks like he's a young 22 year old rb again. They need to keep him fresh throughout the season and make sure he's ready for the playoffs (hopefully). If the defense and Khalil Mack can get on par with the offense, they'll make the super bowl. David Amerson though, can't get beat like that giving up two TD's last week.

Kansas City is a scary team. They got weapons and Alex Smith isn't playing conservative. It's a shame they lost Eric Berry cause they'll need that playmaking ability and leadership in the playoffs.

The Giants are pathetic. That O-Line combined with Eli looking like a statue is going to make ODB implode at some point of the season.

And to the Jet that was upset with Marshawn dancing, c'mon man. He was just getting pumped up when he heard his song, not trying to show the Jets up. That song is an Oakland anthem. So glad he's back home and he's going to put us over the top.

Reactions: KJ
643 points this week on a perfect weather weekend.

Last year week 2 had 724, five more points per game.

Last week had 606 with 15 games.

Week 1 last year had 717 in 16 games, again about 5 points per game difference.

Macadoo is a terrible coach, let's his tackle get beat all night and never once thinks maybe it be a good idea to get him some help?

I hate Eli as much as the next guy but his coach throwing him under the bus in presser was classless and uncalled for considering all his shortcomings! The play in question does he not realize that delay of game saved him from a terrible decision? Down 10 and you gonna go for it on 4th cause the crowd sways you, math be damned?

Have gmen had anything even resembling a competent run game since they hired this clown ? who also one of these arrogant jerks that calls the plays which he also sucks at.,

Lastly he just looks like a idiot. Lol.

Blame it on the kickers

Kai Forbath and Blair Walsh mostly. Why any kicker would try an extra point from the middle of field is beyond me. These guys all play golf, don't they realize the hardest 10' putt to make is one that's dead straight?

Blame it on the kickers

i blame the o-lines i think...O lineman are harder and harder to come by. If you lose one of your starters, most teams don't have a competent backup. many teams don't even have competent starters. Defenses are bigger and faster and o-line play is getting worse.

As for yesterday, the Lions won one a lot easier than it should have been.

- Good field position for their first TD thanks to a poor punt from Wing. Two third and long conversions on a scramble and then the lob to Jones. Don't expect that kind of poor awareness from Apple.

- Great field position for their second TD. The big surprise in this game was Detroit getting a good ground attack against what was last year a very stingy Giant run D.

- Prater kicks his 56 yarder a distance of 56.01 yards.

- Then we realize why a 37 yarder from Wing is actually better than a 60 yard punt, as he outkicks the coverage and Agnew comes up with the back breaker.

24 points on 12 first downs and 257 yards of offense. By comparison the Bengals scored 9 on 12/295, the Texans scored 13 on 14/266, Carolina scored 9 on 19/255, Indy scored 13 on 18/266, and the Giants scored 10 on 14/270.

Macadoo is a terrible coach, let's his tackle get beat all night and never once thinks maybe it be a good idea to get him some help?

I hate Eli as much as the next guy but his coach throwing him under the bus in presser was classless and uncalled for considering all his shortcomings! The play in question does he not realize that delay of game saved him from a terrible decision? Down 10 and you gonna go for it on 4th cause the crowd sways you, math be damned?

Have gmen had anything even resembling a competent run game since they hired this clown ? who also one of these arrogant jerks that calls the plays which he also sucks at.,

Lastly he just looks like a idiot. Lol.

totally agree Bank. could not believe he didn't give Flowers support. the guy is what he is a bad o-line man. you have to help him bc he can't compete on this level.

Giants fans have been waiting for years for Jerry Reece to get a competent RB and O-line....still waiting. Not sure what he is thinking

Dallas' HC is a liability. You have to factor in his coaching in to your capping, imo.

I was wrong on the Packer D, they still can't come close to keeping up with Atlanta and other potent Offenses.

As for yesterday, the Lions won one a lot easier than it should have been.

- Good field position for their first TD thanks to a poor punt from Wing. Two third and long conversions on a scramble and then the lob to Jones. Don't expect that kind of poor awareness from Apple.

- Great field position for their second TD. The big surprise in this game was Detroit getting a good ground attack against what was last year a very stingy Giant run D.

- Prater kicks his 56 yarder a distance of 56.01 yards.

- Then we realize why a 37 yarder from Wing is actually better than a 60 yard punt, as he outkicks the coverage and Agnew comes up with the back breaker.

24 points on 12 first downs and 257 yards of offense. By comparison the Bengals scored 9 on 12/295, the Texans scored 13 on 14/266, Carolina scored 9 on 19/255, Indy scored 13 on 18/266, and the Giants scored 10 on 14/270.

My one counter here...

Detroit shut it down in the 4th totally. They did not throw one pass.

Take away a 3 n out to start half and Detroit had exactly one "regular" drive in the 2nd half (not counting the 4th qtr clock chew with all the penalties etc).

Lets hope the lack of scoring doesn't lead to rule tweaks and official 'points of emphasis' to try and increase scoring (and fantasy points). They have mucked up the game enough already.

It will, at some point. Not this year but in a few years.

i blame the o-lines i think...O lineman are harder and harder to come by. If you lose one of your starters, most teams don't have a competent backup. many teams don't even have competent starters. Defenses are bigger and faster and o-line play is getting worse.

Yeah totally agree with this. I have more than half the o-lines in the league rated below average or worse. And I don't think its my ratings, its only a handful of teams that have a good line with some depth backing it up.

Is this a result of the offenses that colleges play nowadays?

Yeah totally agree with this. I have more than half the o-lines in the league rated below average or worse. And I don't think its my ratings, its only a handful of teams that have a good line with some depth backing it up.

Is this a result of the offenses that colleges play nowadays?

It's not just you, Line play is bad!

I think more a result of the limited amounts of full contact practices now days than college systems. Could be a bit of both actually, guys less prepared and now less practices to learn than back in the day. Not a good combination.

I watched a replay of the Bills/Panthers game and Newton was missing open receivers all over the place. I like the Saints even more now.

I watched a replay of the Bills/Panthers game and Newton was missing open receivers all over the place. I like the Saints even more now.

Yea he was doing same thing week 1. Guy is even more off target than usual. I worry bout mccaffery in this game against saints lb's but sCam never been accurate getting the ball to his backs. I was thrilled getting +6 in this game as you have to go back to 2014 to find a game between these 2 decided by more than 5!!

Back