Torrey Pines Week...(and Dubai Desert Classic)

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
The field looks okay here.

There might be a bit of interest in this tournament.

Thoughts?

Should be some great pairings. If Tiger has "it" back this is the course that will prove it.

Hope he and Rahm are paired up. This course tends to play to the cream so JDay will be there if he's right too. Tons going on here.

Lets remember that they play North and South the first two days...

The North underwent the renovation 18 months ago - ish.

While the North Course maintains a similar feel to its original design, there were some significant changes:

• The number of bunkers has been reduced from 59 to 41
  • The average green size increased from 4,500 square feet to 6,400
  • All 18 greens were completely reconstructed to United States Golf Association standards, with the existing poa annua grass replaced with 100 percent bent grass – a Tyee 007 blend
  • The front and back nines were also reversed, allowing golfers spectacular ocean and canyon views as they finish their rounds
  • Carts paths have been replaced
  • Irrigation has been improved
  • Greens were fitted with an advanced SubAir system that pulls moisture out of the surface and can cool greens during hot weather

As an unashamed Tiger fan, I am as excited for this as I've been about any non-Masters event in a while. Can't see myself getting involved in any Tiger props, other than I might look at the odds for him to make the cut. Last I heard, that was still going to be plus juice. Wonder if the books will pair Tiger and Phil in matchups?

Looks like there are a few players in the field that played Abu Dhabi last week. Maybe some that played Singapore. Might look to fade them, wonder how that has done in the past? Jimmy Walker still recovering from Lyme disease, he's on the fade watch list. Will dive in deeper in the next day or two.

Just my hunch but everyone has been on the Walker fade train for some time and I think he's starting to show life again. Buy low type. He's top 10 with that swing imo.

Yeah but outside of that PGA, he hasn't been vintage Walker in a few years. Even before the Lyme disease. If the books are getting hit by fading JW, my guess is they'll start pairing him up against no names on the matchups

Farmers Insurance Open - Torrey Pines GC (South) - San Diego, CA
Thu 1/25 1 J.Rahm wins Farmers Insurance Open +720
10:00AM 2 Field wins Farmers Insurance Open -1020

Thu 1/25 3 R.Fowler wins Farmers Insurance Open +1100
10:00AM 4 Field wins Farmers Insurance Open -1600

Thu 1/25 5 H.Matsuyama wins Farmers Insurance Open +1400
10:00AM 6 Field wins Farmers Insurance Open -2100

Thu 1/25 7 J.Rose wins Farmers Insurance Open +1450
10:00AM 8 Field wins Farmers Insurance Open -2200

Thu 1/25 9 T.Woods wins Farmers Insurance Open +2000
10:00AM 10 Field wins Farmers Insurance Open -3000

Thu 1/25 11 J.Day wins Farmers Insurance Open +2100
10:00AM 12 Field wins Farmers Insurance Open -3200

Pretty surprised they had Tiger paired up with Day and Hideki in the tournament matchups. Seem like obvious Tiger fades to me. Hideki was priced too high for me, but I took Jason Day -125 over Tiger. Added Cantlay -115 over Brian Harman and J Rose +105 vs Fowler. There were other players I had my eye on, but wasn't thrilled with their matchups or odds or both

Btw, didn't post it but took a fun bet on Piercy last week 50:1... 10 holes left I was excited... Oh well. Ten minute cap was the funniest part.

Tiger is with Pat Reed and Charley Hoffman. They go Thursday on the South at 1:40PM ET and Friday on the North at 12:30PM ET.

Added a couple for Dubai:

Fitzpatrick +130 vs Fleetwood

Gallacher -105 vs Paisley

Remember when the pressure of facing Tiger and his gallery would cause playing partners to buckle?

Reed -4
Hoffman -1
Woods E

Remember when the pressure of facing Tiger and his gallery would cause playing partners to buckle?

Reed -4
Hoffman -1
Woods E
True. The other thing is those two are so relaxed, comfortable imo in most groupings... A little bit of both.

Not to mention, other than the huge gallery... Tiger is prolly "pleasant" to play with. He's out there smiling having fun. In years past that was most likely a very uncomfortable grouping.

Don't usually play round matchups, but took Cantlay +115 vs Fowler. Rickie has missed 3 of his last 4 cuts here, needs to play well on the south course today.

I successfully faded Rahm last year in the majors, but I think my days of fading him are over for now. He's a stud

Pretty surprised they had Tiger paired up with Day and Hideki in the tournament matchups. Seem like obvious Tiger fades to me. Hideki was priced too high for me, but I took Jason Day -125 over Tiger. Added Cantlay -115 over Brian Harman and J Rose +105 vs Fowler. There were other players I had my eye on, but wasn't thrilled with their matchups or odds or both

Nice to have 2 of these won at the midpoint. Day over Tiger looking solid. My euro tour bets are ungood

Yeah, the driver is all over but the short game has been good. That was the biggest question for me this week.

The wait continues...

Never thought this had a chance after the first 9 holes or so of the week.

I'd take Day , he wanted to keep playing last night. That shot on 18 approach was nice and he was on.

3-0 in full tournament matchups, 0-1 in round matchups. 0-2 in Dubai, 3-3 on the week. Might want to stick with full round matchups on PGA tour from now on...

Back