time to post my week 8 card so far

Sorry for what is about to be a spamming of grading the losers. Since I lost a post yesterday with a bunch in it, I am gonna do them one by one.

Ohio -2.5 - Did I think Michael Vick deserved jail time for his dog fighting ring? No. Do I think Derrius Vick deserves jail time for his three interceptions, two of which were returned for TD's? No. But it still stinks. I do think this is a case where the box score is a little deceiving in addition to the score being deceiving. While Ohio had 22 first downs to Buffalo's 19 and 422 yards to Buffalo's 373 it is a little skewed given Buffalo's control of the game heading into the 2h of action. So while the box score says this was more in the coin flip area, in reality it was a game Buffalo controlled. BTW ..... you guessed it, minus 4 turnovers and two of them were returned for TD's. Grade D.

Kentucky 11 - This is a very hard game to grade. If you look at the base stats, UK was outgained by 143 with both teams having 30 first downs. This would probably warrant Miss St being a favorite to cover the 11. As usual, we were minus two in turnovers in this game. UK also had a first and goal and got a 15 yard penalty when one of the offensive linemen decided to turn into Floyd Mayweather Jr., turning what should have been a TD into first and goal from Afghanistan. The team just cannot get out of their own way. Missed tackles at key moments, a penalty at a key moment, dropped pass at a key moment, missed block at a key moment. For a lot of snaps they can look pretty good but they just cannot consistently avoid the blunder. Prescott had a big day. Grade D-

Umass 14.5 and The under 62.5 - Both of these were bad bets by the numbers. I think there were around 175 plays or so in this game which is probably what makes the bet the most horrid from the totals perspective. The game had over 1000 yards of offense and 52 first downs making this total one of the worst plays I have made all season. With that said, I did warn you all that I realized this was a bad investment late in the week, there just wasn't much of a way for me to get off of it (though I didn't like the over either). Umass led 28-10 at halftime, making us probably greater than 98% to cover the game with just thirty minutes to go but Toledo put an onslaught upon Umass and the Minutemen just kept committing penalty after penalty after penalty (15 penalties for 134 yards!) ...and somehow Toledo scored 41 in the second half to cover the game by a point and half. That is as brutal a loss as you will take due to game dynamics but at the same time Toledo did have a 620-388 yardage edge, 33-19 FD edge and was minus two in turnovers. So they were certainly a deserving side by the stats and they do play sixty minutes and not thirty minutes. I guess I have to give myself an Fminus for the game as a whole ...

sbama/tex st - Grade N/A -- Kind of a tough break here. In one sense, it was bad work in that the game dropped from where i bet it... then the weather info came and it dropped a ton more. I am not one to attempt polish middles so i had to eat it and pray. It ended up being played in the bad weather. It still almost had 900 yards of offense so hard to be too mad at myself as I think the game flies over in better weather. I am not going to grade it traditionally.. I will go with an N/A. 238 yards in penalties, mostly on the offenses was silly too. Based on stats, I will give it a B-

Utah/USC under 59 - Well, we have reached a game where I at least feel pretty good about having the right side. While the start of the game was paced faster than I expected (to which I blame the Utes coach), it eventually settled into what I expected. Utah returned a punt to the USC 2 yard line for a 1 play 2 yard TD drive, Utah threw an interception that USC returned to the 4 yard line and usc converted on fourth and goal for another TD, Utah threw an interception that was returned for a TD as well, and Utah ended up getting the backdoor TD which was the final blow. I actually thought no matter who was trailing that the backdoor late score against a soft defense was a possibility, so no complaints about that one. But the rest was tough to watch. I just had a hard time understanding what the Utes offensive game plan was or more importantly, why it was. It really hurt my wallet. The game stats obviously support the under as well... 3.5 yards per rush for one team, 2.6 yards per rush for the other, and a measly 733 yards in total offense combined. This would be played again at the same number without blinking. Grade B+

Another good day. Had potential to be great.

Let's grade the losers

Memphis under 78 - Obviously this was me bailing on some bad weather information and I have to beat myself up a little bit for not revisiting it closer to kickoff. Original cap of the over was spot on. So I guess it is a bit of 20/20 hindsight to knock myself too hard but also a little bit of bad work (cap was fine) to not follow up. As my buddy said .. Weathermen are even worse at predicting weather than I am at predicting games.. which is pretty bad. GRADE N/A on the handicap.

TAMU 6 -- This was a game I felt extremely good about heading into it. Thought TAMU matched up well on the defensive side of the ball and that ole miss defense was a little banged up. TAMU had competed against Bama but got bad QB play in that game. Well, I thought the bad QB play was the result of Bama defensive line pressure and maintained a decent opinion of Kyle Allen. But he looked like a deer in headlights yesterday. The game speed appeared too much for him. He had the Yips. Missing wide open guys with his eyes, missing wide open guys with his arm ... playing scared in the pocket. While the WR did get open here and there as I just mentioned they didn't do it consistently and never helped Allen on a 50/50 ball. 28 first downs to 12 , 471 yards to 192. Uhhhh ya .... Grade FMinus

to be continued ....

Worse part is KA could really be hurt and the coaches left him in there. Based on the scuttlebutt regarding Kyler, they should have put Jake in there at half, at least. Nothing can be easy for us. Men playing drama...........jeebus.

Back